Duke4.net Forums: Polymer HD trailer - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer HD trailer

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Click Here for Full HDI spent a long time creating this trailer, and hope you will all enjoy it! Thanks to Plagman for developing the amazing Polymer renderer, and thanks to TerminX for creating EDuke32 and giving me feedback on the development of this trailer. Thanks to Clint "phreakindee" Basinger for providing his vocal talent. Big thanks to all the people who worked on the HRP. Last but not least, thanks to Megatron for the fantastic Grabbag soundtrack.

User is offline   d3drocks 

FIRST!

*adds to favorites*
holy crap. I think....
I need to check my eyes

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

Very good.

Probably a bit flashy and invert-strobe-epileptic-happy for my liking, but I think it shows off Polymer really well.

Bit dark though :) I can't recall properly, is Polymer supposed to be able to implement a global 'ambient' light factor into a map? If so, is that in the maps in your video? Just curious.

This post has been edited by Sobek: 25 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

No, the ambient lighting in the maps is something that needs to be done manually, as this is all work in progress. The maps in my video are mostly dark, but for the purposes of the trailer, I think it's a good thing because it shows off Polymer's dynamic lighting abilities.

Thanks for the feedback--looking forward to hearing more. :)

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Awesome looking. :)

User is offline   Jokke_r 

Very cool

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

So is the release going to include all four episodes light mapped or is there really a set plan for that kind of thing at this point?

Kick ass trailer Yatta.

User is offline   Hellbound 

You play on cheats, you noob!

EDIT:

And you shoot flying vehicles with Devastator, YOU NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :)

This post has been edited by Hellbound: 25 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

Looking really really good! Only chaingun low-res muzzle flash and explosion sprites don't fit and spoil it a bit.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Great Job! Love those RECON headlights.

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostDeeperThought, on May 26 2009, 10:11 AM, said:

Great Job! Love those RECON headlights.

Yeah that looks awesome. I was suggesting something simmilar for the skycar :)

This post has been edited by Spiker: 26 May 2009 - 12:17 AM

User is offline   Piano Man 

I personally would have loved to see more of the bump mapping in action.... Saw very little of it....

But other than that - I STILL CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THIS FUCKING RENDER!!!!

So far I'm saving all the screenshots uploaded here, so that eventually I've have enough to pretend I'm playing the game to a really fast slideshow.

:)

User is offline   supergoofy 

@Yatta, this is an impressive video :)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Mirrored the video on my channel to get all my sub's to see it.

http://www.youtube.c...88rwrP9U&fmt=22

(Would seem it lost a little bit of the quality :))

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Looks cool, can't wait to play duke with this. :)

User is offline   Techbot 

Looks incredible guys, hard to believe that Duke 3D has come so far!

Massive congrats to all involved!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Sweeeet! Nice job on the trailer, man. Polymer is looking better than ever.

User is offline   Eclipse 

Very nice!

User is offline   K100 

The trailer is really great ! But I'm an old school player, and I play only with the old graphics. ^^

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

very kick-ass, Yatta......but the wait for a release was already hard enough!!!!! :)

User is offline   corpy 

Awesome trailer... When Polymer Will relased for Normal people? :)

User is offline   Spiker 

View Postcorpy, on May 26 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

Awesome trailer... When Polymer Will relased for Normal people? :D

Yeah, developers of all kind are never close to being normal :) Unless you meant ordinary or regular :D

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

And I love it how you mocked the e3 '01 trailer with the evolution timeline at the beginning and the geisha girl at the end- complete with the same strip club music!

Which leads me to ask, did you recompose the ending music because in the original trailer Gus is simultaneously heard saying "You think those sunglasses make you look cool or somethin'?"

Or did you use some sort of program that somehow silenced Gus' voice?

Bit of n00b question as I don't know much about audio editing, but I'm just curious.....either way, I'm extremely impressed.

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

Polymer looks great. HRP aliens do not. I liked the trailer for the first few seconds than I quickly became more aware of the things I don't like in the HRP as opposed to enjoying the new engine. It's an okay trailer. And as much as I hate to be negative when you put so much effort into it, I feel obligated to give some constructive criticism.

God mode is fine, just don't make it so obvious in a trailer. The alien gangbang completely killed the trailer on multiple occasions. They just crowded around and it got so cluttered that I wasn't sure what was going on. Protector drones are best left out of the trailer completely like at 2:40..lol. In the HRP they don't look impressive at all. They just swing their arms around as if they were on fire. I would have used less aliens, it's enough to see one, two and maybe even three in a room but 7 or 8 is too much. I would have skipped "Going Postal" completely. As that bunker section of the vid was just a mass jumble. Swap it out for a clip of Duke going to the church in Death Row and pressing the button to flip the cross. I assume polymer would make that lighting change a lot more impressive.

Anyway, here's to seeing trailer 2 sometime in the future, or trailer 1.2 :)

User is online   Sangman 

Looked awesome. Though it made me think; maybe the Polymer lighting can only look at it's best in rather dark areas? Or is that not so?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think this was just to show it off. Bright locations are less noticeable.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! :D

View PostCommando Nukem, on May 25 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

So is the release going to include all four episodes light mapped or is there really a set plan for that kind of thing at this point?

Not that I know of, but I would hope that the next HRP release will include the Polymer renderer, which means all four episodes will have to be light mapped. I think Parkar, Plagman, and TerminX are working on it.

View PostHellbound, on May 26 2009, 12:51 AM, said:

And you shoot flying vehicles with Devastator, YOU NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were playing for real I'd have used the shotgun, but the devastator's projectiles really show off the lighting in Polymer. :D

View PostDuke Rocks, on May 26 2009, 08:54 AM, said:

And I love it how you mocked the e3 '01 trailer with the evolution timeline at the beginning and the geisha girl at the end- complete with the same strip club music!

Which leads me to ask, did you recompose the ending music because in the original trailer Gus is simultaneously heard saying "You think those sunglasses make you look cool or somethin'?"

Or did you use some sort of program that somehow silenced Gus' voice?

I edited the audio and reproduced the first few seconds of the strip club music by micro-editing the second half which didn't have Gus' voice in it. I never thought anyone would notice--nice observation! :)

View PostRamen4ever, on May 26 2009, 10:50 AM, said:

As that bunker section of the vid was just a mass jumble. Swap it out for a clip of Duke going to the church in Death Row and pressing the button to flip the cross. I assume polymer would make that lighting change a lot more impressive.

Anyway, here's to seeing trailer 2 sometime in the future, or trailer 1.2 :D

You know it's funny because I actually went to the church area when I was working on the trailer, because I shared your thought that the lighting change in that level would be impressive. However, because the ambient lighting in that level is not there (that level hasn't been light mapped yet), your suggestion and my original idea would not be possible until more progress is made.

As I told TX yesterday, I do intend to do a second trailer once Polymer is fully optimized and all the light maps are in place. Once I do, everyone's great suggestions in this thread will be taken into account! :D

View PostSangman, on May 26 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

Looked awesome. Though it made me think; maybe the Polymer lighting can only look at it's best in rather dark areas? Or is that not so?

Polymer looks fantastic regardless. I just exploited the lack of light maps for the better by using their absence as a way to exaggerate Polymer's dynamic lighting abilities. \o/

User is offline   Moggimus 

For those like me who prefer the old style graphics: Have no fear. Polymer works and looks just as fantastic without the HRP.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostYatta, on May 26 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

Not that I know of, but I would hope that the next HRP release will include the Polymer renderer, which means all four episodes will have to be light mapped. I think Parkar, Plagman, and TerminX are working on it.

The HRP and Polymer are completely unrelated, other than the fact that Polymer is part of Eduke32 and the HRP is run in Eduke32. None of the maps come pre-lighted, only some certain actors use the new lights. Everything else has to be put there by a mapper. Dont expect to open up an old map and have pretty new lighting, except from Fire, RPGs, Tanks, etc.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options