Duke4.net Forums: Is there a way to get the old expansions? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a way to get the old expansions?

User is offline   Darkus 

I've also realized that Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II are not available anywhere 'legally'.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm just glad I managed to snag that 3D Realms mega collection before they lost the Duke rights entirely to Gearbox.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I've known they were gone for a while but it is extremely disappointing because I've never had the chance to play either of the previous installments past the shareware episode. And I've really wanted to, too...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you can find the upload of Duke 3D v1.3D on archive.org, don't forget Duke 1 and 2 are in there too.

I thought archive only had D2 shareware?

View PostHendricks266, on 12 March 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

If you can find the upload of Duke 3D v1.3D on archive.org, don't forget Duke 1 and 2 are in there too.

Here are the links to the registered 1.3D Duke 3D .iso files.

1: https://archive.org/..._1996_3D_Realms
2: https://archive.org/..._3D_Realms_1996

Hmm. How come Gearbox Software hasn't taken them down yet?

After extensive searching, I think I can say with confidence that the only version of Duke 2 on there is the shareware one. Which is fine, and honestly I gave it another download just to have it again, but it sure would be nice to play the full thing.

Damnit Gearbox, I'm more than happy to pay for both games but you just keep sitting on the property doing nothing with it except letting it collect your farts. Even the old games that made the property popular. Make a new game or not, I don't care, but would it honestly be that costly to just shove at least the first two onto steam or GoG with a lazy dosbox wrapper?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Duke 1 and 2 are both present on the Duke 3D v1.3D disc.

View PostHendricks266, on 12 March 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Duke 1 and 2 are both present on the Duke 3D v1.3D disc.

Oh that's what you meant. Okay I understand now.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 March 2019 - 02:05 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I'm sure if you give Randy Pitchford a blowjob he might be willing to think about it. maybe.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 March 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

I'm sure if you give Randy Pitchford a blowjob he might be willing to think about it. maybe.

I do have an old vacuum cleaner...

Someone (illegally) uploaded an ISO file of Duke Nukem Nuclear Winter on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/...emNuclearWinter

To be honest I don't care Randy not going to do anything good with Duke IP all he does and crap on it, Let them upload it.

As far as i am concerned if a game/ expansion, etc can't be bought on any digital plataform, it's fair game. If they don't want my money it's not my problem.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Randy have already spoken about the fact he could/would provide a compilation with the "megaton stuffs" along with World Tour, DNF and its 2001 build... but what if the legal way remains a problem for the expansions DIOIDC, NW and CDLIAB with the intellectual property shared by tens of physical and legal entities (if they have not got bankruptcy in the interval) considering 3D Realms didn't have the right to publish them from the start ?
With all the persons sue-ing for micro details concerning intellectual properties, it would be like a Damocles sword to not sort out this issue...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 10 April 2020 - 12:02 PM

3DRealms CEO told me on Facebook he they have nothing to do with Megaton Edition, I wish I could post a picture of my Messages I had with him but I can't.

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 10 April 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

Randy have already spoken about the fact he could/would provide a compilation with the "megaton stuffs" along with World Tour, DNF and its 2001 build... but what if the legal way remains a problem for the expansions DIOIDC,

The legal situation has already been cleared up. It's been two years since he made those remarks.

Yup I was there myself to read Randy stupid ass twitter messages about that.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 11 April 2020 - 08:09 AM

So then, who is responsible of/for the Megaton edition stuffs ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 11 April 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 April 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

The legal situation has already been cleared up. It's been two years since he made those remarks.

Coming out this decade... maybe.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 11 April 2020 - 01:06 PM

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita) was released on January 6, 2015 in North America, and January 7, 2015 in Europe.It is a port of the Megaton Edition released on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It was developed by General Arcade for the PC, ported to consoles by Abstraction Games, and published by Devolver Digital. It features Cross-Buy and Cross-Play between both platforms. As of February 2016, the game is no longer available for download in North America due to publishing rights returning to Gearbox Software.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 11 April 2020 - 01:50 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostDuke Legacy, on 11 April 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita) was released on January 6, 2015 in North America, and January 7, 2015 in Europe.It is a port of the Megaton Edition released on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It was developed by General Arcade for the PC, ported to consoles by Abstraction Games, and published by Devolver Digital. It features Cross-Buy and Cross-Play between both platforms. As of February 2016, the game is no longer available for download in North America due to publishing rights returning to Gearbox Software.

Before someone says Randy had no choice. Yes, he did.He could have kept Megaton Edition available on STEAM as a freeware or as a low cost version.

Don't tell me it's not possible. I point you to Doom 3 BFG Edition and Doom 3 the original release. They're both on Steam right now.

Shadow Warrior and Shadow Warrior Classic Redux are another example.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 11 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 April 2020 - 02:47 PM, said:

Before someone says Randy had no choice. Yes, he did.He could have kept Megaton Edition available on STEAM as a freeware or as a low cost version.

The problem is, most people would just buy the cheaper (and better) version, Megaton, only Duke fans would have bought Word Tour for the new episode.

as as freeware? Randy? lol.

It should have come bundled with WT, heck, WT should have been an updated re-release of Megaton. No censored health cross crap, just keep what's already there and add the new stuff.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 11 April 2020 - 05:13 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLazy Dog, on 11 April 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

It should have come bundled with WT, heck, WT should have been an updated re-release of Megaton. No censored health cross crap, just keep what's already there and add the new stuff.

Uh, that's what was Randy said but he still said the copyright hell on Sunstorm Interactive's expansions stopped he/them to do so, isn't it? ;)

But...I just feel that's just excuses for Randy/Gearbox didn't want mess with Megaton Edition/those old expansions since that's not their products and they went profit, who knows, it's just weird to me at all. :)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Randy Pitchford ruined Duke3D. You can't even buy a stock original duke3d.grp anymore.

He had the choice he decided to be a dum fuck and go the stupid route and make another Duke 3D, What he should have done is kept EDuke32 on Steam since it had alot to offer.

• Judge Mental

Eduke32 was never on STEAM. Megaton edition was a far less evolved port when compared to Eduke32. And in it's own right it should not have released as it did either. For example the skyboxes were broken.

EDuke32 was apart of the Anthology Collection on Steam

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 12 April 2020 - 08:42 AM

There were other annoying weaknesses in Megaton edition, such as updates making your savegames corrupted for good and preventing you to see the cutscenes in you had ATI pilots a bit too recent

When it comes to buy games that you already own, for either getting the 2001 DNF build or the megaton stuffs, I guess it shouldn't bother anyone anymore in the end considering how usual it have become, the most shocking one is :
GOG !!! I have the french version of games they own and tend to provide them these french versions, but do you think that because I own the original games and thoughtfully provide them localized versions they would allow me to get their updates versions so I will be able to spare my money ? Nooooope ! THey consider making me buy games that I already own is just as normal as the Scorpion stinging the relunctant turtle trying to save him from waters (ref : the fable)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options