Duke4.net Forums: Is there a way to get the old expansions? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a way to get the old expansions?

User is offline   BFG9000 

I know it's old news that the megaton edition is no longer available, but i've recently gotten back into playing duke (world tour) and remembering how much I loved this game back in the day. I never got around to playing either duke it out in DC, or life's a beach sadly. I had hoped that maybe they would be released as dlc for world tour but that doesn't seem likely. Is there no way to get these anymore, other than maybe ebay?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Legally, as far as I know, no. All the companies involved went out of business forever ago so if you want to buy them you can only scour eBay or other secondhand sites.

User is offline   Forge 

Yet, if you look in the world tour workshop on steam somebody has posted up 'wt' versions of the D.C. maps. They might not look exactly like the originals because of the lighting and textures, but with some effort a person could download them all, get the d.c. art files, and package them into an episode.

Whatever obscure legal loophole Randy found, just so he'd have an excuse to take down megaton & remove competition to WT, was an asinine move. Now everyone suffers.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

It is fair it was considered illegal if not a single cent went to the rightfull owners of the rights for the expansions.

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

IF.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
It's Green (Duke3D BETA Track!) in FLAC, OGG, & MP3 with metadata loop tags
Duke3D, Doom, Descent, Hocus Pocus, and more...
Legacy of Grabbag Metal Medley

User is offline   Forge 

They all became abandon-ware after they went out of print and the creating companies went defunct. There's nobody to send the money to unless atari re-opens their wizardworks division and starts selling them again.
Then buying them wouldn't be an issue.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

There's always a copyright owner for a license, licenses doesn't just fall into oblivion !

User is offline   Forge 

View Postgemeaux333, on 16 June 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

There's always a copyright owner for a license, licenses doesn't just fall into oblivion !

Wrong.
Companies cease to exist.
Publishing rights are held and maintained, but are only valid while the item is still in print or being actively produced / made by the publisher.
If they are no longer being printed, then the rights fall back on to the creating entity.
If that creating entity no longer exists, then it falls into abandon land.

- if the item is continuously made / printed - the publisher holds the rights for 95-120 years after the first date it was made. (or the lifetime of the creator +70 years for single / individual authors)
- if the item ceases to be printed, ownership falls back onto the creator
- but -
the publisher has the option to put something back in print, unless there's a stipulation in the contract stating otherwise (Randy loophole)
if they let something stay out of print for 95 years & there is no owner / creator, then the item becomes public domain.

Thank you for your opinion though.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The add-ons are in copyright limbo, it's likely 3DRealms never had the rights to release them in the first place. It's unlikely that their legal situation can be cleared, and surely not worth the investment as Randy pointed out on Twitter.

Who owns what depends on what was in the contracts. Unless someone has access to them, we don't know who held the rights back then and who would hold it now today. However I advise that it's probably not a single entity: there may be a dozen of individuals with a royalty share, the publisher could own part of the assets, etc.

User is offline   Forge 

Atari should hire Charlie Wiederhold and call him their wizardsworks division. Let him publish the expansions and collect 10% of the sales profits as pay.

This post has been edited by Forge: 17 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 4k 

• Duke4 Thot Patrol

Just pirate it. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks of this post.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 21 June 2018 - 08:19 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostFox, on 17 June 2018 - 03:15 AM, said:

The add-ons are in copyright limbo, it's likely 3DRealms never had the rights to release them in the first place. It's unlikely that their legal situation can be cleared, and surely not worth the investment as Randy pointed out on Twitter.

I know that this is mostly wishful thinking, but how about... recreating the add-ons from scratch and simply distributing these mods? Probably not very realistic for Caribbean because there's so much modified art, but I think Duke It Out in D.C. could be done this way. IIRC there isn't so much new art, and I think similar props and textures could be created.

I mean, there are Doom community projects like the one where mappers recreated official levels from memory, or "in name only" projects where map design is inspired by the original map's title but not its content.

If anything, it could become a tribute to the original add-ons even the same cannot be widely available due to legal issues.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

People here are generally tied up in their own projects, and have neither the time nor motivation to attempt to recreate something that already exists.

There are more original and interesting ideas out there. Plus, the target audience of such a mod (people who havenít played or donít own after all this time, and yet would want to do so) Duke it out in DC is incredibly small.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options