Duke4.net Forums: KickAss Duke - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KickAss Duke  "It's out !"

Got the freedom to focus on this mod and i think i completed the last fixes that needed to be done.
I totally scrapped a level for crash issues (still not known) and found a fitting replacement.
Spoiler

Also, i found and tricked out a bug for projectiles with splash damage; i'll do a detailed report in the Eduke Bug section anyway.

Just to say, the KickAss tour episode presents some zones/levels that will eventually reappear in future releases, in form of map that are officially the sequel of those levels as of author intentions; i'm working on a plot for some future episodes, indeed.

At this point i don't want to lie on a date like i did before and when 1.1 is ready will be out.... tomorrow or the next year, lol :D

Stay Tuned

Sorry for double to gonna-be-triple post. I'm here with a good advice:

Release is tomorrow!

I got enough of procrastinating this due to doubts and oher businesses irl; i took two decisions indeed:

- Stamina is going to stay (affecting movement speed) in this release, as i substantially enhanced it and is less a pain to deal with; i was in doubt to remove or limit it in this release, but i will in future for sure
- I told i'd have put intermission screen/text between maps, but i ended preferring to keep this update more "classic", and move this feature in the next big update (it will be rich of "geeky" features... spoilers will come next weeks)

Lock'n Load!

Here we are, finally. The 1.1 KickAss Duke version is out right now!

https://www.mediafir...ke_1.1.zip/file

I apologize for the long delay, but i've been not 100% operative on this; it could be completed in waaay less than a year, but here it is anyway. Also i'm sure it's not totally bug free and i wait your reports then :dukecigar:.
Here is the list of all the new features:

! "KickAss Tour", a new episode based on a collection of maps from other mappers (up to 37 maps!)
! Six new weapons: Golden Desert Eagle, MP5K SMG, Riotgun, Combat Rifle, Battlelord Minigun and Ooze Launcher !
! Some changes to KickAss Hud and re-introduction of Classic and Eduke Alternative HUD styles (emulated)

- New main menu background tile
- Added HUD style selection option; removed HUD transparency option
! Transparent enemies in some levels are treated as ghosts, with specific hit and death effects
! Removed melee experience system; added "combat practice book", randomly replacing Holoduke
- Fade-in effect when starting a level
- Level names and stats have been "resumed" and moved on top-right corner
- Increased stamina restored with Nukem Cola
- Doubled stamina regeneration
- Less invasive stamina display
- Added some more burn/scorch effects for energy weapons
- Added many one-liners on kill, from other Duke games
- Added slight auto-aim when using some melee skills
! Added slide move (press crouch while running)
- Added sound when picking up ammo
- Bullet casings stay longer on ground
- Added single/dual wield options for pistols (press alt-fire)
- Removed Pistol and M16 ironsight modes
- Increased Sniper Rifle damage; removed semi-auto upgrade
- Decreased caterkillar battery regeneration
- Faster 40mm grenade projectile travel speed
- Faster fire rate and reload for Shotgun
- Faster reload for Shrinker
- Charge-up time on Enforcer laser alt-fire
- Various graphic & sound improvements to some weapons
- Various damage and max ammo re-balancing to some weapons
- (INTERNAL) Code Rearrange and some syntax updates
- (INTERNAL) Sound folder cleaning and optimizing
- Widescreen-friendly sprites for almost all weapons
- Resumed inventory notifications

- Fixed glowing pixels removed on OctaBrain blast, blood sprites and some screens/posters
- Fixed damage for some rocket projectiles
- Fixed jetpack stopping when exiting from water
- Fixed jetpack not working while shrunk
- Fixed stamina not recharging when depleted
- Fixed reload interruption when picking up a weapon
- Fixed weapon selection not allowed while reloading
- Fixed Thermal Grenade explosion damage
- Fixed weapon getting stuck sometimes (better code on pickup/fire/reload etc)
- Fixed amounts on some ammo pickup
- Fixed bad checks on weapons with upgrades
- Fixed KA item drop system (some item would have never spawned, in theory)
- Fixed tripbomb remote trigger (now it works with both fire and reload keys)
- Fixed "terran" turret offset in some frames
- Fixed step sounds when walking on flat sprites/bridges (since ages)
- Fixed some frame animations for flying gibs
- Fixed bed sprite #545 (picnum used for quick testing some effects, and never restored)
- Fixed Protector Drone not being affected by taser shells (only visual effects was working)

The README file has been updated according to the new content, and some old infos have been rearranged or explained in a better way. Don't forget to take a look!

Kick Their Asses!

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 02 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   stumppy84 

Congrats on the release

Nice new release Richard, the KickAss Tour (for now i tried only the 1st level) looks as an extended and modded E1L1, which (IMO) is a very nice way to start and it is beautiful.
Personally, i can't stand so much the stamina, so i "run" around crouched to "walk" faster :lol:, but i think also that is not that bad, need to get used to it and is like if you play Duke a second time, need to proceed slowly like when you don't know the level and planning which weapons to choose in this huge arsenal, before to do something.

Aside this, as you expected, there are some issue, ofc is up to you to judge if some are on purpose or not.

When the player wield 2 weapons became impossible to reload the single version, also, when the player shot with the single weapon, switching to the double and back again to the single one, looks like the ammo count is wrong (this is in the video) .
Using the ALT fire with the following gun, for a few of times, expecially if you hit yourself, make the game crash and a code pop up:
Spoiler

In Color Correction: Gamma and Contrast can only be decreased (you can change them manually in the CFG file), Brightness and Visibility are ok like usual.

In Game Setup: i've set Equip Pickups on Never, but Duke insist to Equip the new weapons picked up (he must love new ones xD).

Another minor thing, when i closed Eduke32 the first time, did not save my settings, the next times yes, then, i copied the 2 settings files somewhere safe to be sure now :P.

Keep up the nice work! :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 02 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

awesome work, will give this a play ASAP! :dukecigar:

@Battlelord

- Don't use autorun. :dukecigar:

- The akimbo thing is working exatcly as i meant:
When you switch from double to single, the magazine counter is split into two parts, referring to the gun put in the pocket and the gun you still use. So i simulated this behaviour: you fire and deplete rounds in the right hand, extract the other and continue firing; in this case the magazine counter become a single number.
You can't reload while you have more rounds than the maximum. For example, pistol in single version has max 12 rounds, and if you have 8+7=15 rounds still in the counter, you can't reload. When you reach a single 11 or 6+5, you can.

- As for the divide by zero, newer eduke versions brutally pop that message up and make impossible to continue the game, while before it was only notified silently in the console and never affected the gameplay. Most likely they happened more times before.
Well, quite a shame that some divide by 0 still happen, coder side, but i thought i eradicated 'em all. Gonna check them again.

- The switch on pickup thing is one of the things i forgot to change. Put on to-do list.

Other bugs you mentioned depend only on Eduke executable. Still not bug free.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 02 August 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

- As for the divide by zero, newer eduke versions brutally pop that message up and make impossible to continue the game, while before it was only notified silently in the console and never affected the gameplay. Most likely they happened more times before.

Yeah I noticed that too In my mods. It's very easy for it to happen when dividing by distance or in other cases where you don't expect it to actually be zero.

By the way, I will get around to playing KAD again, but I don't have much free time atm.

Oh, i forgot to mention an important thing about the new episode

Some transitions between maps will appear random or incoherent to you, due to two factors: one is that i didn't put the intermission screens that describe what happens in between ( i have a story in mind as i said), but also because i meant to do a central HUB in the first plans, from which you could choose any sub-chapter of KickAss tour.
This selection HUB will be present in the next update, when new levels will be added, along with intermission screens and descriptions, and things will result having more sense than now.

User is offline   ViDi 

I like the improvements and the new features, good job. :(

I think Ghost Town map (RED3_mod.map) is broken and I can't progress any further without cheating. The blue keycard door is stuck.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32 2019-08-23 20-27-49-490.jpg

Well, that is pretty strange:

Posted Image

Those sprites are supposed to be in the gate sector but for some unexplainable reason they are outside, even if I open the map with an old era build.
So when I just changed 1 sector (to prevent item stripping at the beginning) and saved that map, the gate resulted broken without any advice. So I moved those sprites in the right sector and the gate now works properly again.

Also, the map presented over 30 wall-related heavy corruptions and I solved it (I thought that was the problem, at the beginning).

A patch is planned for early september, basing on some bug reports i had mainly on ModDB, so I'll include this fixed map too.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 23 August 2019 - 11:01 PM

User is offline   ViDi 

Shooting at angles with Enforcer Laser Minigun alt fire is not accurate.
https://youtu.be/By05nX0c0Iw

Map: Anarxitical City
At some places you can hear strange echoing noises.
https://youtu.be/kA4ya4YjBb4

Yeah, I know that stuff, but they are Eduke-related.
The weird noises occur in sector with echo sector effectors, and the clipping issue when firing from a ledge is still a bug. Dan proposed a trick to solve this on bug section a while ago, but i've not implemented yet, i'd rather wait a fix. Cannot say anything about the echo issue.
// it seems that Eduke recognizes where to put some echo effects by itself, and this causes those kind of "hyper-recursive"noise bugs when there are echo SEs

The wrong angle for the enforcer laser alt-fire it's an error by me instead and i've just fixed it.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 24 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   ViDi 

If Duke stands on a conveyor belt (or another moving surface) and if autorun is enabled he can't perform a kick and he loses stamina. But if I hold down Shift to walk there is no such problem.
https://youtu.be/Ku8aI7RzcsY

View PostViDi, on 23 September 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

If Duke stands on a conveyor belt (or another moving surface) and if autorun is enabled he can't perform a kick and he loses stamina. But if I hold down Shift to walk there is no such problem.
https://youtu.be/Ku8aI7RzcsY

interesting observation, the game recognizes if duke is moving regardless if is intentional or not, and it triggers walk/run animation too, so i'll have to hack something.
The unability to kick is a restriction i put while running, only the scissor kick can be performed (if actually running).

Semi-OT : I also discovered in that place that i can randomly push (my own) radioactive clouds from nuke barrels ... dafuq XD... another fix to do

Hi there everybody!

I've been far from duke in these months because of various reasons; there wase un update ready since Sept-Oct 2019 , but i delayed it because of numerous bug reports i read about Eduke, and because the fix to the alpha channel in release r7619 by pogokeen broke some of my hi-res effects.

I unexpectedly solved this issue by resizing the PNGs to the exact size of placeholder/dummytile; i don't know if this is an intended way to go that r7619 introduced, so i'll write a report anyway in bug section.

Anyway, here now you'll have the 1.11 patch, where fixes based on your reports and some other improvements have been done.

https://www.mediafir...e_1.11.zip/file

Version Log - 1.11

! Updated Eduke version, solving sprite issues and other bugs
! Target scanner is now a game feature always available, and no more an inventory item

- Halved the ratio at which the player takes burning damage
- Adjusted some sprite sizes in weapon selection display
- Replaced Combat Rifle fire sound
- Lowered the particle volume for the big slime explosion of the Ooze Launcher 2nd fire
- Choosing a single handgun from default akimbo is no longer momentary
- Improved Pig Tank: engine sound, smooth moving and proper cannons fire
- Fixed some bugs in E5L15 "Ghost Town": a broken door and heavy wall corruptions
- Fixed a bug involving inventory and weapons removal (levels like Death Row, or jumping to a level with cheats)
- Fixed a bug involving kicks some "clang" sounds while holding RPG
- Fixed (removed) a useless blue sprite in "Flooded Area", level 4 of KickAss Tour episode
- Fixed firing angle for Enforcer laser minigun alt-fire
- Fixed a few pixels in some laser pistol frames
- Fixed (most likely) weapons get stuck when firing/changing/reloading

Keep in mind that this will the last update for months, if there are no other the fixes to do in the meantime, when i'll release the 2.0 release (or 1.2, dunno ATM) full of additional features involving items and inventory management/usage.

Also rememeber to check KADuke page on moddb : https://www.moddb.co...ds/kickass-duke

Kick Ass!

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 16 March 2020 - 04:39 AM

According to some changes in Eduke event management, i had to fix the code for replacing items when entering alien levels as they did not replace at all
(put the "alien world checker" in eventloadactor rather than in EVENT_LOADACTOR )

I put the patch directly on moddb ;)

User is offline   Polunka 

Greetings.

Recently I have decided to get back to playing Duke maps again (especially since there are a lot of levels I may have missed out on). Your mod is a great way to spice up DN3D gameplay in a variety of aspects without butchering the balance much so now I primarily use it to play custom levels (as far as there's no custom CON coding pre-applied to them). So I would like to thank you for conceiving and realising this Project Brutality-esque modification. Keep up the good work, mate ;)

The main point for this post is, tho, to report some problems with the mod. Ain't sure whether they've already been reported (sorry in advance for this).

First off, there's something bizarre going on with transport sectors (seems to only be valid for water sectors and sectors emulating height level change without using any kind of ROR, for example, a vertical ventshaft or sth like that). Sometimes (and I have no idea whatsoever what could possibly trigger this) the game seems to misplace their destination coordinates completely (e.g. while emerging out of a water sector where it's possible, you'll get teleported somewhere without water in place at all or even straight out of bounds, crushing you in the process; same applies for trying to fall down a ventshaft which uses silent teleporters, as mentioned earlier, in which case you seem to be teleported right under the "ceiling" of the map more often than not). This phenomenon seems to occur apparently at random. No idea whether the sectors get affected in this way while loading the map or in real time while playing the level. This problem doesnt seem to have been reported, from what I've seen in the comments both here abd on ModDB (I may be wrong, tho), and this is the main reason why I couldn't finish Anarxitical City map in Kickass Tour properly (without cheating), since it heavily relies on underwater routes in some parts. Btw, Idk why but this problem may be related somehow to gibs spawning in the level.

Secondly, a problem similar to the previous one. Sometimes pivoting sectors and moving train sectors seem to go wild and start going in circles at an offset pivotal radius/change their routes randomly respectively. So after playing a level for some time you could spot a train moving through air and walls instead of its regular trajectory or something like that (this is what I actually first spotted in Anarxitical City, once again).

Third, apparently you can't switch to Enforcer's Laser Minigun in your possession unless you have another slot4 weapon as well (like an M16 or EDF Chaingun). Well, maybe it's intended. I don't think so, tho. Also, might affect some other weapons as well but I ain't spotted anythinng else so far.

Fourth, mini-Queens seem to be either immortal or super-buffed in terms of health point numbers. I know you wouldn't encounter a mini-Alien Queen on a map frequently (I'd even say, chances are very slim since there're very few user maps utilising this enemy that I can recall). Anyway, I bumped into this problem while playing thru the original version of the Drone Chambers map (you may know about this map from The Gate TC which should be known probably to 99% of Dukers out there). It has two mini-Queens in it (both are easily avoidable but still). Well, I was kinda surprised I couldn't kill either of them (since your mod seems to have fixed all the other mini-versions of the Bosses used in older user maps in terms of health, like the mini-Overlord and mini-Emperor). I used 4 Shrinker singularity charges and 3 fully charged GLORP Reactor Cannon blasts on one of them (let alone depleted some other less potent weapons as well) to no avail. So I guess it needs its health to be fixed (unless it's intentional).

That's all so far that I've encountered and haven't seen reported so far.The first two problems ostensibly have existed since at least version 1.01 (as of 1.12, they still persist).

Once again, really hope all this hasn't been reported yet (since otherwise this post is basically a waste of space and time).

Best regards.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 18 May 2020 - 01:03 AM

Sorry for another post, I shoulda covered this in the original one.

I've got a question as well. What exactly is the difference between the fixed seed and random seed options for the item replacement function? I would understand it if I was actually given the capability of entering the seed value for myself in case of the fixed seed option. My guesses are as follows:

1. Fixed seed is supposed to work for user maps made specifically for the mod, in case the author has placed alternate weapon/ammo variants on the level. This way the game will load the map with the exact placement the author did (with fixed seed on).

2. Fixed seed actually generates the replacement seed in accordnance with an algorithm that utilises some values of a level's data that are supposed to be static (like those that the engine uses to initialize the actual map, and I wouldn't know what they are by chance, sorry). This way, as I see it, fixed seed can be used if you want to replay a level which you've already played with this option on and was in fact satisfied with the work the algorithm did on item placement (since it will always generate the same seed for a particular level, unless the level gets modified in a way that affects said data values).

If neither of these is the case, then I fail to see the purpose of the fixed seed option.

Hi Polunka, many thanks both for your appreciations and reports on this mod ;)

Now answering to all you mentioned:

- I did some hacks to Sector Effector code indeed, but only for achieving the teleport on vent shaft while using the new jetpack (which completely overhaul hardcoded one). I tested it many times and i had no report or experience to other bugs related to sector tleport like shafts and water. Never saw anything about rotating sector and trains, too.
I suspect two reasons then: anarxitical city is a pretty old map and not builded in the proper way, or newer Eduke versions brought some bugs. (Also i never had the time to test everything from start to finish, nor i had beta testers when releasing KA Tour, unfortunately)

- Chaingun laser should be selectable like any other weapons but you did it doesn't; so it is most likely a bug i've never aware of, or brought since some last changes i did in weapon switching code while inserting new slot 4 weapons for the 2.0 update. Gonna fix that then.

- I did fast modifies to mini queens, expecially because i never put them in levels i introduced in KA tour (there are plot reason for that you'll discover in future updates), while forgetting they can appear in other user levels. Gonna fix that.

- Fixed seed is meant to work as 2nd behaviour: the "seed" depends on map datas and all weapons call some random functions always with the same result.
About this, i have to put in evidence that newer Eduke versions totally mess up that code and some items are badly replaced, expecially in alien levels, so i have to work on a proper fix or to report the "bug" until the 2.0 release.

Thanks again, and we will meet in 2.0 version, pretty far to be released due to the juicy content i'm putting in :)

User is offline   Marya 

do i see the beta game plasma rifle? been wanting to try that gun..

This post has been edited by Marya: 19 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

Well yes, i brought back from lameduke all discarded weapon concepts, so you have both chaingun and plasma rifle sharing the same design/manufacturer, the sonic resonator and all laser chainsaw/flamer/freezer variants fused back in a single weapon ;)

User is offline   ViDi 

Duke picks up EDF plasma gun even if he has full ammo for it.

Right, i found a parenthesis in the wrong place in the code.

Greetings again. Would like to report a minor cosmetic inconsistency (which I somehow noticed only some minutes ago).

Not sure if you know about this but shooting the regular shotgun doesn't seem to spawn ejected shells (while the Riotgun does it). Same for the weapons using revolver bullets (Magnum and Deagle), tho I would assume they just don't have sprites for ejected cartridges (yet?).

P.S.:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Polunka: 23 May 2020 - 12:17 AM

Glad about the Multi Target Array. The fun fact is, code side, that it actually uses game Arrays to work ;) . I could increase spawn rate btw.

As for ejected rounds i found that i just forgot or badly pasted the round eject code the wrong way for those weapons, indeed.
The revolver should have rounds ejected only when reloading, you know.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 23 May 2020 - 02:54 AM

Greetings again.

Been playing the mod some more, this time went as far as editing the episode definition CON file in order to play a whole episode (Orbital Oblivion by Fernando Marquez, a famous piece), an impressive move for me personally since I tend not to mess with code in my Duke setups as much as I can.

Anyway, I'm back to report some more bugs I've encountered, this time delving a bit deeper into the matter. Hopefully, they've not been reported yet.

Most of these are about cosmetic things, again, but I also finally managed to understand (sorta) what causes the weird sector warping thing (when trains/teleporters and such go crazy, I already mentioned that once in a post here). To explain that, I'll provide a video (which will show some minor glitches as well that I felt needed to be shown rather than just described verbally).

So beginning with the ones described in text.

First, once again about the reloading system, some I forgot to tell you about previously, others found afterwards:

• Duke pulls the handle to reload the sniper rifle after having fired the last round in the mag, then proceeds to rotate the handle again after inserting a new mag which basically causes another empty case to get ejected (which logically should not even be in the weapon);
  • not sure if this is encompassed by what I reported about the shotgun not ejecting shells (and whether it's even intended by you) but special shells (as in, flares, power shells etc.) don't get ejected too;
  • again about the regular shotgun: it reloads empty mag (after emptying the weapon completely) as intended when you still have rounds in reserve after fully reloading (Duke pulls the handle after inserting all 8 shells), but if you happen either to have inserted all 8 shells with zero reserve left after that or to have inserted less than 8 shells (say, the weapon's mag is empty and you have only 4 shells to load it with), Duke doesn't pull the handle. Also, though it's not as significant, Duke reloads the shotgun even after firing the last round in the mag. It's techically correct but seems sorta redundant to reload the shotgun twice, before and after reloading the mag (after firing the last round, you can simply reload the mag with whatever amount of shells you want and then finally reload the wepon itself, throwing out the last fired empty round and loading a new one in one piece). This last part, of course, is up to you to decide whether to fix or not.
  • this one is more of a suggestion: I guess precision rifle wouldn't need its handle pulled even after changing an unfinished mag (which it does now), same goes for M16;
  • and just in case, since you mentioned that in your reply to my previous post, the revolver doesn't eject empty casings when reloading (I think you intended otherwise).

I'm not entiraly sure how far you want to go with reloading system realism in your mod so not all of these may be actual bugs, I guess.

Second, upon picking up a riot gun while already having a regular shotgun (possibly, any other slot 3 weapon), the former will have 20 rounds in the mag (while it should be 16). It then can't be reloaded (ofc) until the amount of ammo in the mag is below 16.

Third, this one is really minor. The scope for the laser gun scope upgrade is a bit missized, I guess (at least for me, I play at 1920x1080), both with or without widescreen. It shows while the weapon bobs during walking/running. See the screenies attached to the post (left and right side of the screen respectively).

Also, a couple suggestions:
  • the precision rifle seems sorta redundant without the ability to aim down sights (essentially like a shorter-ranged version of the sniper rifle);
  • since your mod aims at gameplay enhancments, it would be fitting to fix some minor but annoying glitches of the original game. I can think of only two atm, tho: Protector Drones not using their wake sound effect and Sentry Drones exploding on you through a thin wall/door and dealing no damage (these ones, for example, have been fixed by DeeperThought in his Essential Duke/Alien Armageddon and also probably by Darkus in his CON fixes).

Now about the bugs that I have a video on.

First one is about enforcers getting killed twice under certain circumstance. Second is about protector drones playing their death animation twice. These two are really minor.
The third one is the one with sectors being warped. Basically, I managed to track down two of the reasons why it happens: blood pools (or rather, too many of them on a level) and using specifically the textured mode of the automap. I explain everything in the video via text commentary, while showing exactly what this glitch is and why it occurs. Hopefully you'll comprehend it. I theorise this phenomenon occurs most often only on large levels with lots of monsters to kill while the other conditions are present (blood pools enabled, moving/rotating/blinking/transport sectors present, activating the textured automap at least once).
I specifically have been trying to understand why it happens because it has been a problem since at least v1.02 of your mod (and that version used a different EDuke32 revision than 1.12, afaik). This lead me to believe that EDuke might not be the sole culprit. Also, this problem made playing a lot of maps a pain for me.

Here's the link to the video. Sorry in advance for shoddy editing, it's my first experience in this realm. I just didn't think I could explain the third glitch to you verbally in any way.

Well, I guess that's all for now. Hope the info here will be useful for you. Keep perfecting this mod, it's amazing.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0009.png
  • Attached Image: duke0010.png

Thanka again for dedication and reports, Polunka :)

The most both interesting and terrifying bug is the sector warp, surely involving sector effectors for some weird reasons, and i MUST have a look at that.

As for all other reports and suggestions, I was/went aware of some of them, and put all the to-do list anyway.

About combat rifle:
I realized i wanted another weapon using precision ammo (wannabe 7,62mm), so i came with the Combat Rifle, removing the semi-auto feature from the sniper. It's much powerful and sound-kill responsive, but i always found that it lacks something, I cannot find a proper altfire for example, and i ended wanting a mod without aim-down sights. I thought to a bayonet, a shotgun shell momentary firing, but dunno... i also had the idea to remove M16 in favour of combat rifle, bringing the grenade launcher and multiple firing options, but i'm not 100% sure ATM.
Do you have any suggestion ?

View PostRichardStorm, on 26 July 2020 - 11:49 PM, said:

The most both interesting and terrifying bug is the sector warp, surely involving sector effectors for some weird reasons, and i MUST have a look at that.

If you wish, I can send you the savegames you saw in the footage to help with the testing/debugging process (along with the setup, since it uses an altered EPISODES.CON and some midis and map files thrown in; I was playing Orbital Oblivion episode I mentioned at the beginning of the post when I encountered this glitch again). Just reply if you need it, and I'll upload it to my cloud storage and PM you the link along with instructions.
Once again, what I know for sure is: it's caused by too many blood pools spawned in the level (I always play with gib and blood lifespans set to infinite, only occasionally disabling them temporarily for reasons that ain't hard to guess, I think) and using the textured automap. The latter point makes this glitch especially hard to track and also makes little to no sense, at least to me personally, but also renders it not as scary, asctually, since you simply need to avoid using textured automap and use the overlay mode instead (which isn't as comfortable but still viable).

About combat rifle:
I realized i wanted another weapon using precision ammo (wannabe 7,62mm), so i came with the Combat Rifle, removing the semi-auto feature from the sniper. It's much powerful and sound-kill responsive, but i always found that it lacks something, I cannot find a proper altfire for example, and i ended wanting a mod without aim-down sights. I thought to a bayonet, a shotgun shell momentary firing, but dunno... i also had the idea to remove M16 in favour of combat rifle, bringing the grenade launcher and multiple firing options, but i'm not 100% sure ATM.
Do you have any suggestion ?

Well, I would personally leave M16 as it is. It has its functions and is in fact a useful weapon that doesn't feel redundant (IMO), especially considering that we don't have too many slot 4 weapons in the mod: 2 terran ones and 2 alien ones, one of the latter being rare as hell (Battlelord's laser minigun). Once again, I would only fix the reload thing I mentioned (Duke always pulls the handle upon changing mag, even if it's not been emptied out in which case you don't need to pull it).
As for the combat rifle... Well, I just think it wouldn't feel redundant if it had the ability to aim. This way we would functionally have a whole weapon slot (3) based around (mostly) 1~2-shot-kill gimmick from varying distances. From short to long range would go: riotgun (being a monster at close ranges), shotgun (also has its function of firing multipurposed round types), combat rifle (upper-close to mid range, would be justified with a scope/iron sights, also fires faster than shotgun which makes it a perfect mid-range weapon for pigs, enforcers and alike), sniper rifle (long range). Alien laser gun is an alien weapon which makes it sorta stand apart (it's pretty much universal in terms of ranging thanks to mods but it also can be acquired only in alien levels, most of the time without any access to other slot 3 weapons, unless you play an episode having both alien and other levels present).

So, tl;dr/summary is: I just think you need either a mid-range scope or iron sights for it (while increasing the firing accuracy for the alt mode, of course). It would make the combat rifle just take its dedicated niche in the arsenal perfectly.

That is my opinion, of course, you don't have to agree to it.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 27 July 2020 - 01:39 AM

Well, the doubt was only about a non-ironsight altfire for combat rifle (and i discard the removal of m16)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options