Duke4.net Forums: KickAss Duke - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KickAss Duke  "It's out !"

KickAss Duke

After years of development, pauses, remaking, recoding and so on, my mod KickAss Duke is finally out to the public with its 1.0 release.

KickAss Duke or KADuke is a gameplay modification , enriching Duke Nukem 3d with a large amount of features.
The major cores are weapons, inventory and gore, featuring +20 weapons and +10 items, new and old ones but all recoded, while violence got very improved with physics and more particles and effects.
Also, KADuke gives D3D a bit of modern-rethinking, due to many modern games, mods and tcs in last 10-15 years which served as inspiration; at the same time it proposes to bring back some Lameduke/Beta scrapped materials and ideas.
All the new items replace randomly original pickups , so no map is touched. It is designed for playing original episodes and usermaps.
This mod will be gradually enriched of many features planned (and mostly done, but put away ATM), like new enemies, other gore features, items and weapons, maybe some maps and episodes with special objects; so, many updates are expected. There will be some fixes and suggestions to follow, for sure.

A more complete list of KADuke features:

- 23 weapons in total, where the original 9 have been improved... various features: legit alien drops, reloading, alternate fire, shared/multiple ammo, recoil, diminishing accuracy, better bobbing, status-inflicting
- Improved melee fighting , replacing slot 1 Knee with fists, kicks and WASD combos (reaching "24" new weapons)
- 11 items for the inventory, recoded from 0
- The "Brutal Engine" (customizable)
MORE blood, stayput jibs and pools, physics on corpses and jibs with explosions, hit detection with injuries (only headshots for the moment)
- New sounds and visual effects, mainly weapon effects
- New HUD, customizable
- Various improvements to enemies
- Various gameplay enhancements: stepsounds, stamina, double tap evade, lookleft/right
- Some aestethic improvements
- KickAss options menu : violence settings, hud and crosshair settings, item drop mode and so on
- The "Djuke Box", for selecting music from other levels while playing
- Various fixes

You can read the development thread and a bit of more infos Here

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD IT HERE ! (Ver. 1.11) https://www.mediafir...e_1.11.zip/file

Changelog :
Spoiler

Also check KADuke ModDB page Here

Posted Image Posted Image

Do not forget the readme file for important infos, expecially for installation and controls.

ANY suggestion or critic is welcome.

Now go and enjoy new badass methods for ass-kicking !!

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 16 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Messed around with it & played E1L1.

A couple things that bothered me:
Deselected auto swapping weapons on pick-up. It still does it anyway.
It took me a bit to figure out that I needed to use the fire-button & not 'use' or enter to select ammo modes (e.g. swapping from shells to flare with the shotgun)

The DNF styled sprint system & the melee combat will take some getting used to, but otherwise it's a pretty neat weapon, item, & splatter game mod.

also saved a game at the beginning of E1L2 & trying to load it caused the game to crash.
started a new game & saved at the beginning of E1L1, quit, started the game, loaded the save & it worked - so hopefully that first one was a fluke.

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Loading a save & cashing doesn't appear to be a one-time fluke on my system.

at least I got a message this time:

"Loading save game file "dukesav0.esv" failed (code 5), cannot recover."

User is offline   Forge 

The version of eduke32 2.0 included with the mod also has issues with resolution.

If I leave it native (1920 x 1080), then I get black borders around the game when I load a save. It looks like normal & fullscreen when starting a new game.
Dropping it to a lower resolution (like 1600 x 900, 1280 x 960, etc.) makes the edges of the game and hud disappear off-screen.
Non 16:9 or 4:3 puts a black border around the game and also makes it off-center, and in some cases, partially panned off the monitor screen.

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

- DO NOT CHANGE EDUKE32.EXE ! - It's the only version that works better with this mod ( 2016/05/02, 32 bit )

This is a problem. I do not like new mods being shipped with old EDuke32 versions. If you have issues with the latest builds, you should express your concerns.

Eduke version has been a problem till the point i gave up, used the one in my possess which works better, and moving the resolution of all technical issues in a second time, expecially after feedkacks.
In the detail, in any version newer than that one, transparency for highres sprites is "broken" and projectiles do double damage. Previous versions have other issues i cannot remember, instead.

As for load and save, testers did not report anything about this, nor it happened to me anytime.

I put black borders to avoid a massive work in widescreen compatibility (expecially for cut weapons), and forcing the visual to standard resolution. Someone took me this was a not so good idea, but i still don't have means for testing this kind of issues.

In synthesis, i preferred to be stubborn, stop seeking help, and release this with the best effort i could, mainly for time reasons. So i rely on the appreciation of the content, at least.
There are personal reasons for that, but this is not the place for discussing such things.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 07 June 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

In synthesis, i preferred to be stubborn, stop seeking help, and release this with the best effort i could, mainly for time reasons. So i rely on the appreciation of the content, at least.
There are personal reasons for that, but this is not the place for discussing such things.

I'm looking forward to playing this as soon as I can (I'm at work right now).

I'm sure anyone who has developed a large project like this in their spare time (myself included) can appreciate the challenges involved and understands the need to make some compromises in order to get it done. Hopefully some of these issues can be addressed in updates, but from what I've seen it looks pretty awesome already.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 07 June 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

it's a pretty neat weapon, item, & splatter game mod.

the mod has interesting features & is enjoyable.
I just can't reliably use it for more than one map because of the save-load crashes that are specific to my system.

Utilize the oldest snapshots for making mods work as the way you want it, is functional only for a certain period, expired that you must necessarily readapt the mod to the most recent ones. You would not lose anything in trying to make the new snapshots and your mod coexisting, ask for some coding help.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 07 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Let me just say this, DAMN never had so much fun with these weapons :( :P Congratulations with this amazing peace of work! Just a little request if possible, can you maybe make a map for testing allot these features? This motivates me for creating something for this :P

Great work again!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I love the new rocket explosion effect and the lock-on mode! But before I get very far into this, I have a few questions:

1) Are there other pages of the kick-ass menu besides "general"? If so, how are they accessed? Incidentally, using the movement keys to navigate it was not obvious to me -- I tried using the mouse first; maybe put a message about that on the screen so it's more obvious.
2) It looks like you have replaced the next/previous weapon keys, which means I guess we have to reach up to the number keys to change weapons. Is that true, or did I miss something?

EDIT:

I played around with (I think) all of the weapons using the give all cheat. Overall, I would say this is an extremely impressive and large set of weapons, with some truly kickass effects to go with them. There are enough weapons here for 3 different games. I especially enjoyed the shotgun and variations on ammo, as well as the spider mines and everything on the rocket launcher slot. Some of the details are really nice -- like how when you dual wield pistols, the spent shells fly off in two different directions corresponding to the gun that just fired, the shells bounce on the ground and then let off some smoke when they settle. The gore is nice but the explosion effects are even better imo. It's definitely a lot of fun to play around with.

Having said all that, some weapons are certainly better developed than others, and it wouldn't have hurt to leave a few on the cutting room floor, so to speak. There's also a few quality of life annoyances. I don't like not having next/prev weapon keys, and I don't like holding down a key to sprint -- especially when there is such a large sprint meter and it recharges quickly anyway. It almost would have made more sense to make the player hold a button when they want to walk, for those rare occasions when you need to restore stamina. Also, if you are going to have Unreal style dodge moves (which I like and I have used in my mods before), then make them work while walking. Don't force the player to sprint in order to use them. The kick animations look great; I'm actually envious of the sprites you have for them. However, the sprites are a little too bright. It's very noticeable when you are holding a weapon in a dark place, then you kick and your leg is much brighter than anything else. Also, I find it's hard to hit enemies with them, especially when sprinting because that adds an extra frame to the kick animation and makes it hard to time. In my experience, it's a good idea to give the player some extra aim assist with kicks. Finally, I could not figure out how to detonate the pipebombs when in trigger mode. Pressing fire again would throw another bomb. Pressing altfire would change the firing mode. That's all I have for now, but there is a ton of content in this mod and it's a lot to take in. Keep up the good work!

Well, i know the stamina thing is the most controversial feature in such mod, but i preferred to keep it for showing my idea of gameplay (starting from DNAgain, fetus of KADuke), and because i wanted to add a bit of realism with the fact that someone isn't always running by default. Keep in mind that stamina also affects jumping and melee fighting and is born expecially for that. Also, stamina makes boss fights more challenging.
I can bring back autorun key, however, or remove stamina at all in future updates.

As for some commands issues:
- pipebomb are detonated with "RELOAD/DETONATE" key, recalling the use of R as "remote"
- menu navigation is perfomed with keys only, and there are no other pages (music selector is toggled by a separate key)
- next and previous weapon have been temporary disabled for the need of a huge code (at least at studying process) for skipping weapons with my slot system. It's a pain for gamepad users, i know, but those commands will return in future

I admit i had to update the F1 help screen, but i preferred to write all infos in the readme file for now. I only forgot the "confirm weapon mode with fire key ", IIRC; sorry fot that Forge.

As for kick sprites, they are very old and come from my own legs, to be honest :(. As for sprite and weapon quality, i know there are little graphic and style differencies. All of these will be improved.

--- Secret: for another error of mine i just read in the code, you can get only 1 of (x) . Another little fix to do.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 08 June 2018 - 01:23 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 08 June 2018 - 01:14 AM, said:

Well, i know the stamina thing is the most controversial feature in such mod, but i preferred to keep it for showing my idea of gameplay (starting from DNAgain, fetus of KADuke), and because i wanted to add a bit of realism with the fact that someone isn't always running by default. Keep in mind that stamina also affects jumping and melee fighting and is born expecially for that. Also, stamina makes boss fights more challenging.
I can bring back autorun key, however, or remove stamina at all in future updates.

I think you should keep stamina but you should bring back the autorun key. Having a toggle available is much better than forcing the player to hold down an extra key when running all the time. Also imo, you should allow dodge moves to activate from walking speed, but they should cost stamina.

As for some commands issues:
- pipebomb are detonated with "RELOAD/DETONATE" key, recalling the use of R as "remote"

The problem with that is we have been trained for many years that the fire button is how you detonate. Here's how I would do it to make it less confusing for new players:

Fire key: first time you press it, it throws a pipebomb. Press it again if pipebombs have been thrown and it detonates them.
Secondary fire key: Switches the trigger type between trigger and timer.
Reload key: throws another pipebomb (or the first pipebomb if none have been thrown).

- next and previous weapon have been temporary disabled for the need of a huge code (at least at studying process) for skipping weapons with my slot system. It's a pain for gamepad users, i know, but those commands will return in future

I suspected that might be the reason, and I understand. I have had to do a lot of work hacking around the weapon switching hardcoding in mods with far fewer weapons than you have. For your mod it would be even harder and more work. It's unfortunate, though, because that's the way I switch weapons when playing. I'm left-handed and I can't even reach the number keys unless I take my hand off the mouse on the left side. I could assign each weapon slot to a different key within reach by my right hand, but I've never had to do that before and it would be very inconvenient -- in fact, now that I think about it, it might not even be possible because that hand also has to reach all the other keys that aren't assigned to the mouse.

User is offline   Forge 

have some agreements about no next/previous weapon key. having to take my hand off of a player movement/direction control to change weapon is inconvenient (and it's usually in the middle of combat & enhanced since the auto-switch on empty is disabled).

I was fine with the detonate button - it makes stacking/leaving a trail of pipebombs much easier.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 07 June 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

in any version newer than that one, transparency for highres sprites is "broken" and projectiles do double damage.

Can you say more about the projectiles problem? I'm assuming it only affects custom projectiles using the defineprojectile system. If this is true, then currently all of my released mods are broken by newer revisions.

User is offline   Jmoc 

At "Come Get Some" skill, I had serious problem just getting past the first level of any episode. This is, of course, a plus.
However, I have seen some problems that may be solved by rethinking some gameplay aspects:

• The enforcer are incredibly hard to deal with, because their chaingun deal a lot of damage. Is this intended?
  • There should be a way to switch to other weapons while reloading the current weapon (thus nullifying the reload operation). Especially for single shell reload animations, makes the player too much vulnerable.
  • The Jetpack is rather glitchy. The double jump can only be activated 1-2 seconds after jumping. And it can't be toggled off while sprinting. This, in combination by the fact that I often activate the Jetpack while sprinting, makes for unnecessary fuel consumption.
  • Kicks can't be summoned when firing! I assume this is intended.
  • I appreciate the presence of separate keys for the reload and alternative fire modes. However, one has to get accustomed to them, because for some weapons it shows a menu, for other it fires straight away. Also, when selecting the previously selected menu item, the weapon fires.

All in all a good mod with big potential and cool features. The additional weapons and ammo system is great. However, it needs refinement to make it shine!

@ Dan , Hendricks

Custom projectiles do exactly double damage -1 when PROJECTILE_RPG_IMPACT is set; this occurs also in the latest build.

@Jmoc

1) Intended, i know it's harder to beat but i released it as-is to see if it's a real problem to deal with. I'll balance the weapon damage or fire rate
2) Intended, i want that reloading stop weapon switching; you can interrupt single shell reloading 8shotgun and GL) with fire button, btw; i think i'll enable weapon switch for these reload type.
3) Double jump did not seem to be a problem; the double press timing is very narrow instead. The afterburner mode is just an experiment.
4) Intended
5) Yeah i have to put a little fix on selecting same weapon mode. A set 24 weapons needs a bit of memory at the beginning, but an update with an help/encyclopedia is expected :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 10 June 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

@ Dan , Hendricks

Custom projectiles do exactly double damage -1 when PROJECTILE_RPG_IMPACT is set; this occurs also in the latest build.

Follow up:

1) Is that the case even when PROJ_HITRADIUS is 0?

2) Is your included exe the most recent revision when that was not the case?

1) Yes; otherwise it does just the radius damage.

2) I'm not sure

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 10 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

Can't open the KickAssDuke.rar file you've linked to. The archiver says it is corrupt or has unknown format.

Judging by the screenshots, a lot of work has been put into this mod. I like that you're using classic 2D art with no models. Does the mod work in 8-bit mode?

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 11 June 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

Can't open the KickAssDuke.rar file you've linked to. The archiver says it is corrupt or has unknown format.

This kind of message appear also when your zip tool it's not upgraded to the latest version, for ex "7z-zip" need to be at least 5.0 to open some archives.

I think i'll reupload the archive then, many on moddb had this problem but here i see the reason... so how should i compress the file for general compatibility?

View PostRichardStorm, on 11 June 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

I think i'll reupload the archive then, many on moddb had this problem but here i see the reason... so how should i compress the file for general compatibility?

I'd advise using classic .zip or .7z format. Just installed the up to date 7-zip archiver and I could extract the files.

Just played through E1L1, works nice, but some effects are a bit overdone to me. Overall looks like a pretty solid but amateur work. Gonna try the mod on some other levels, I'll post more feedback later.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostRichardStorm, on 11 June 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Can't hold my breathe much longer, almost ready to give in and upgrade from 7za.exe

I know... i just waited because i'm working on a larger update, i fixed and balanced many things, but overall i decided to bring back widescreen compatibility at very last. So i think i'll finish this thing and upload then. Sorry for the delay, but i'll finish this in hours :(

// edit: anyway, i can't get the problem in installing an extraction software. I thought you can pick, extract and unistall if you hate it.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 21 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

So here it is !

KickAss Duke - 1.01 version

http://www.mediafire...e_1.01.zip/file

I did a first bunch of improvements and fixes, according to the first feedbacks i had here and there:

- Switched archive format from RAR to ZIP for better compatibility
- Added widescreen support (weapon sprites are still WIP)
- Updated Help Screen (F1)
- Drop mode is now set as "Random seed" by default
- NEXT and PREVIOUS WEAPON keys are back
- Auto aim is no longer disabled
- Auto run is no longer disabled
- Dodged can be performed while both running or walking and consume stamina
- Changed "Power Kick" sequence from Back/Forward/Forward to Back/Forward
- Enforcer damage rebalanced
- Caterkillar damage rebalanced
- Fix: no reset for melee progress on "remove items" levels like E1L3
- Fix: secret weapons drop code (oops)

Enjoy !

This mod KickAsses!!

Personally, I had just a pair of problems:

-sometimes the stamina can't be recharged (even on v1.01).

-is hard to switch to the right weapon with all this arsenal xD

I think a menu similar to Duke Plus would do the trick here, to let the player decide which weapons/features will be available during the game, ie: stamina, combo kick, slot can have just 1 weapon available or more.

I'll also suggest to give a look to the N64 version (but probably you already did it), there are a lot of interesting weapons and ammo, i've fallen in love with explosive shotgun shells and the plasma cannon, nothing compared to your scary nuclear missles, but they will do their job too :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 10 June 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

@ Dan , Hendricks

I can confirm this is still a problem. To be clear in case Hendricks266 is reading: we know that damage is supposed to be doubled on a direct impact when the projectile has a splash zone. The problem is that it doubles damage even when the projectile has a hitradius of 0. This could be compensated for, of course, by just giving the projectile less damage. But this bug didn't used to exist, and we don't know how long it will continue to exist. That presents a big problem for those of us actively developing with the latest snapshots. In Alien Armageddon, for example, the alien snipers do way more damage than they are supposed to. I could nerf the number, but then if the bug is fixed they won't do enough damage.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

In the DOS version the RPG does twice the damage even if the hitradius is zero. In fact it does exactly twice the damage if the hitradius is zero, killing a mini battlelord in 4 shots.

So I would say it's working as it should now.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 25 August 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

In the DOS version the RPG does twice the damage even if the hitradius is zero. In fact it does exactly twice the damage if the hitradius is zero, killing a mini battlelord in 4 shots.

So I would say it's working as it should now.

If we can be confident that it's going to stay that way, then I suppose it's fine. I can adjust the damage values and go back and adjust them on old mods as well so that the damage is correct.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options