Duke4.net Forums: imagine that you are very rich... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

imagine that you are very rich...  "dream team"

User is offline   pacman 

And you buy the Duke Nukem IP and then you must hire the perfect dream team for a new Duke3D expansion pack, similar to Atomic Edition (a proper expansion pack with a proper brand new boss, enemies, weapons.. unlike World Tour).

Who would you hire for a dream team?

Engine (some improvements, proper online specially coop... but still the same Duke3D engine/feel):
-Ken Silverman
-the eduke3d team

I would get in the mapping team:

-Luciano "Gambini" Gallo
-Merlijn v. Oostrum
-Alejandro Glavic

And I would hire the classics (Levelord,Allen Blum III, Pitchfork..) for an additional "old school" episode, like a bonus. I just think their mapping style wouldn't fit within the other guys super detailed designs.

I would then hire the same team that did the sprites for Duke 3D for the new art. This is key because when there are new sprites it often doesn't fit within the old art if it isn't the same people involved or at least experts im knowing how to achieve the same aesthetics, we want to avoid disasters like the new half assed enemy in World Tour. We want proper new enemies like the Protector Drone/Alien Queen.

For the music, of course:

-Bobby Prince
-Lee Jackson

The music would be either classic .mid format or new .ogg (switcheable in menu)

Obviously Jon St Jon for some new lines.

That is all. I would pay them a lot and give them 2 years to complete a PROPER new set of episodes, a port that works flawlessly online, proper new enemies and weapons etc... I wish I won the lottery.

User is offline   Gambini 

Let me know if you ever come rich, so we discuss the contract details!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Why would you hire Randy? I don’t think he had very much to do with the level design compared to everybody else.

He said pitch fork

Posted Image

View PostGambini, on 26 May 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

Let me know if you ever become rich, so we discuss the contract details!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

They did this. For some reason GBX decided to spend money to remake polymer rather than do new boss sprites. Apart from that,though, they brought the old team together after many years and we got a brand new episode with new levels and artwork.

Everyone bitched about it, nobody bought it so nobody who has the money or the means is going to make that 'mistake' ever again.

Job done!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 26 May 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

They did this. For some reason GBX decided to spend money to remake polymer rather than do new boss sprites. Apart from that,though, they brought the old team together after many years and we got a brand new episode with new levels and artwork.

Everyone bitched about it, nobody bought it so nobody who has the money or the means is going to make that 'mistake' ever again.

Job done!

Really?
The World Tour is an unfinished product. A very sad ending to one of the original super games of the 90' .

If my clients complain, and they are valid complaints, I'd fix it up. I don't give lame excuses, like, oh, no profit to be made here now.

Sure, blame the trolls at Steam, blame those rotten bastards hating Gearbox, blame anyone but those who made a piece of high quality mixed with pieces of true junk sequel.

I voiced my complains on Steam and duke4. (The mini bosses still don't work and the boss fight is a joke, and so are the Fireflies. I love the maps and the music, but those two ain't not make no game. And good luck trying to make a mod for World Tour.

Looking at Steam - World Tour, the reviews are mostly positive!! There are people liking The Duke Nukem game, with its faults !

to the OP
You don't need to be super rich, but you need to love what you are doing and what you are working with. Duke needs some tender loving care!
Here is hoping, you win big. :(

This post has been edited by Hank: 26 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

If I had that kind of money, I'd go after the Blood source code instead.

User is offline   Mark 

I would start by hiring Plagman to finish Polymer. Then worry about everything else later.

Steevie, Teamonster, Chicken for models

any combo of Mblackwell, Jblade and Trooper Dan for con programming

mappers
DanM of DNE fame
Diaz ( his unreleased Slick Willy project kicks ass )
the guy from the Everything Dies project
I would like to get in on the action too

TX and Hendricks to supply pizza and beer ( and occasional insights ) :(

MickyC to do my laundry and make coffee in the morning.

This would not be your usual oldschool Duke project.

P.S. I forgot to add Davox for mapping too.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostMicky C, on 26 May 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Why would you hire Randy? I don’t think he had very much to do with the level design compared to everybody else.

I made a mistake, I meant Pitchford, particularly this guy:

http://dukenukem.wik...ll_Pitchford_II

He did some of the maps in Atomic Edition, for example the last one and the awesome Area 51 one and the first map.

I can't edit the OP so now everyone will confuse it with Pitchfork (no, Pitchfork wouldn't be on my team)

User is offline   pacman 

View PostTea Monster, on 26 May 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

Job done!

but it was not someone from the community, if someone from the community does it it would be better, so if someone ever becomes rich and sees this thread and is a Duke 3d fan then do consider doing it.

View PostGambini, on 26 May 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

Let me know if you ever come rich, so we discuss the contract details!

unfortuntely that is unlikely for now, but maybe someone rich sees this thread and offers you a deal :(

This post has been edited by pacman: 27 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Allen Blum and Daedolon for mapping.... maybe Mikko and Gambini too.

I think Levelord is not that great anymore.

User is offline   Mark 

I would like to check out maps done by Daedolon. The only one I know of is his level for the Duke Hard project. What else has he done?

• Polymancer

View PostHank, on 26 May 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

Really?

Yep. Nobody who isn't a fan is going to look at the details. They will just see that Gearbox got the original guys together, produced a new set of levels for the original game and nobody bought it. It was a commercial failure. That is all they will look at if you are trying to get funding for your own take on it. That is certainly what Gearbox is going to say when you approach them with the idea, because, remember, they own the IP.

Ignoring all that financial stuff, if you are creating your own set of levels, I'd suggest having some kind of overarching narrative. Even if it is something really basic like a general theme such as 'Duke wanders through burnt-out downtown LA till he meets up with a boss'. Each different episode has one setting (LA, The Moon, etc) where the maps explore different aspects of the episode's location. It might even be a good idea to get a texturing group together to develop a look and feel for the location and produce some texture sets before anyone starts mapping. This makes sure that all the maps appear to take place in the same 'world'.

Some new monsters (done right this time) including a new end boss (again, not a re-colour!!!).

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 May 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

Yep. Nobody who isn't a fan is going to look at the details. They will just see that Gearbox got the original guys together, produced a new set of levels for the original game and nobody bought it. It was a commercial failure. That is all they will look at if you are trying to get funding for your own take on it. That is certainly what Gearbox is going to say when you approach them with the idea, because, remember, they own the IP.

Yep! But in this thread cash is not an issue.

Thus more clearer!
Get the IP, hire Randy to make sure the hidden errors of World Tour (I don't know why some of it happened) won't be repeated, and, well, fix it. :(

The only reason I bought World Tour is in the hope to publish my maps and enemies for a game (Duke Nukem WT) that is still available. Won't happen - next project.

This post has been edited by Hank: 28 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

World Tour didn't felt like a finished product, don't blame the fans for its failure. Ion Maiden targets the audience and was well-received, despite being riskier.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

The sounds, controls, menus, and physics work in Ion Maiden. It already has a massive advantage over WT.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMark., on 28 May 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

I would like to check out maps done by Daedolon. The only one I know of is his level for the Duke Hard project. What else has he done?

Not Duke, but he made Ion Maiden's subway part, which is as good as any Blum level.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostFox, on 28 May 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

World Tour didn't felt like a finished product, don't blame the fans for its failure. Ion Maiden targets the audience and was well-received, despite being riskier.

You can feel sorry for Blum, Levelord and Jackson. They did the job done (despite Levelord's maps are not as good as they could have been, but still high quality), the rest of the staff didn't.

• Polymancer

I would say let GBX have as little to do with it as possible. You give them a finished package to distribute.

You maintain direct control of everything to do with production of the episode.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm working with a dream team for free, we are producing exactly mostly what you said you want, and it's coming out in one month.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 May 2018 - 01:33 AM, said:

I'm working with a dream team for free, we are producing exactly mostly what you said you want, and it's coming out in one month.

any links for that?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 May 2018 - 01:33 AM, said:

Yep that's exactly what I was gonna say.

@pacman

https://forums.duke4...od-announcement

I just think Gearbox wants to invest in something new and innovative and not focus something that's 20 year old. The way they show off the Tech Demos and hire fresh college graduates shows they want new blood and new ideas. To say that no one bought it therefore stop updating it is bull, since they're always updating Battleborn and that was a flop as well. Even after their final update, they hold community events like Battleborn day and release shift keys.

I'm sure if Gearbox makes a brand new Duke Nukem game, it will be good, at least I hope. Until then I guess we have to setting for cameo appearances. :/

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

I would hire the team that did doom 2016 and be done with it...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The Duke Nukem franchise is regarded as misogynistic by the majority of gaming journalists, making the IP difficult to handle for a bigger mainstream company like Gearbox. A small indie company could actually use that perception to its advantage -- plenty of people would buy a new game out of protest against SJWs, not to mention all the old fans. But for Gearbox it doesn't pay to do that, because they have to worry about possible boycotts and negative publicity affecting their more profitable franchises. I doubt Gearbox will release any significant Duke game before they release Borderlands 3 -- they don't want people to think that Duke is a priority for them, and they would rather bury a new Duke release under something more popular. There's also the strong possibility that Duke will be neutered in any new game we see from them.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 June 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

The Duke Nukem franchise is regarded as misogynistic by the majority of gaming journalists, making the IP difficult to handle for a bigger mainstream company like Gearbox. A small indie company could actually use that perception to its advantage -- plenty of people would buy a new game out of protest against SJWs, not to mention all the old fans.

Yeah. I don’t think an AAA Duke is viable in today’s climate. Smaller indie titles which can take more risks have a better shot IMO.

As for politics, I’d rather it take jabs at both sides than take a particular stance. More South Park than Info Wars.

If I was filthy rich and owned the Duke Nukem IP, I would assemble a dream team, but not to make an expansion pack to a 20+year-old game. Instead I would make a Duke-themed sandbox first-person RPG with top graphics and insane interactivity (because interactivity is what I liked about Duke3d in 1996, not "boobs"), where the humor comes from acknowledging the existence of SJWs that get butthurt over everything, and making fun of them.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 27 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Honza 

Btw how much do you think it would cost to acquire the IP?

View PostHonza, on 29 June 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Btw how much do you think it would cost to acquire the IP?

Tough to say. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a global phenomenon created by two comic makers in the 80s, sold to Nickelodeon in 2009 for 60 million US dollars. Seems pretty low, considering it's a pretty timeless merchandising franchise.

So, just to completely make up a number, I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy the Duke Nukem IP for 30 million dollars. Gearbox might go even lower, just a guess.

On what I'd do? Well, after Doom Eternal is out I'd get id software to make the next Duke Nukem game, or at least help/co-develop it like they are with Rage 2's devs. And John Romero love Duke 3D, so let's get him on as a consultant, why not. And of course, get Allen Blum and Levelord on board for design decisions and helping with the general map design ideas, and of course Lee Jackson helping compose the music.

DOOM 2016 just happens to be the only game even close to 90s FPS design greatness lately, so I say hey, why not, let's get them to do it. Since it's a fun fantasy idea. If not them, I guess some kind of supergroup of ex-members of other good action and FPS game devs. While keeping Blum and other people who get Duke on board.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options