Duke4.net Forums: imagine that you are very rich... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

imagine that you are very rich...  "dream team"

User is offline   Honza 

US$30M might have been worth it prior the DNF fuckup. I would say nobody in their sane mind would pay for Duke Nukem IP more than US$5M today.

I'm sure you would find a fool that would pay 50M but that's sadly the World we live in.

Some food for thought: https://trends.googl...Ninja%20Turtles

If you ask me since mid 2012 the Duke Nukem brand was only in decline and pretty much worthless - I mean in January 2006 we had 6x more search traffic for that term than we had within the last 2 years and that was 10 years after release of DN3D.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

On the face of it, the brand is kinda trashed. A dud of a game that came out years ago and only half-assed attempts to do anything with the IP since then. Yeah, it's not going to be worth much if you look at it that way.

But, if you were a good publisher, you would know, that like Doom or Wolfenstein, that you could find the talent to make a good game out of these IPs. Both Doom and Wolfenstein lay fallow for years and were both resurrected to make successful modern titles that sold well. A publisher should be able to see that an IP like Duke is capable of similar performance. You find the right team who understand the material and have the guts and talent to take the project to finish. Give them the room and money to develop the game, then get out of the way. Release and profit!

Duke Nukem is one of the most beloved gaming icons for FPS games. I have no idea how or why Gearbox haven't leveraged this into a FPS game yet. Can everything we suspect about how Gearbox operates be true?

I'm starting to seriously believe in the 'Curse of Duke' :P :(

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHonza, on 30 June 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

US$30M might have been worth it prior the DNF fuckup. I would say nobody in their sane mind would pay for Duke Nukem IP more than US$5M today.

I'm sure you would find a fool that would pay 50M but that's sadly the World we live in.

Some food for thought: https://trends.googl...Ninja%20Turtles

If you ask me since mid 2012 the Duke Nukem brand was only in decline and pretty much worthless - I mean in January 2006 we had 6x more search traffic for that term than we had within the last 2 years and that was 10 years after release of DN3D.

I agree, the Duke Nukem IP is essentially worthless at this point. Let's say I am developing a game and I have a budget of 10M (so not a AAA game, but not a cheap indy game either). I can make something that is spiritually a successor to Duke Nukem in almost every way without infringing on the Duke IP. I can even get JSJ to voice the main character so he sounds like Duke. I can still have urban fps combat against lizard aliens, lots of interactivity, hookers and strippers, funny one-liners from a guy with a crewcut voiced by JSJ, etc. So if I want to make that game, what incentive do I have to use a large part of my budget buying the Duke IP? You could argue that the Duke IP is actually a liability because of the baggage it brings with it.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options