Duke4.net Forums: DVD drive not recognizing disks - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DVD drive not recognizing disks

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So my PC's DVD drive can't recognize any disk (DVD, cd, game, movie etc); it always thinks the tray is empty. I've tried googling the problem online, but I keep coming across questions where the drive itself isn't recognized. That's not the case here; the drive works (opens/closes), it shows up in windows explorer. However, when I double click on it in explorer, it says "please insert disk".

I'm running windows 10 64-bit. I've tried updating the drivers and uninstalling/reinstalling them. No luck.

Does anyone know what the issue might be and how to fix it? DVD drives aren't critical at this point in time given the Cloud, but it'd be nice to have one when I need it.

User is offline   Mark 

A dumb sounding question but... was it working and then stopped or is this a new drive installed?

• Honored Donor

It was definitely working. This was the original drive that came with the computer ~9 years ago. Of course, I don’t know when it stopped working exactly since I haven’t used it in a while.

If I have to end up buying a new drive for whatever reason, I’d probably go with an external one, since I could at least use that with other devices as well, such as my MacBook.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 April 2018 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Had a similar issue - in addition to shut-down hangs.

The DVD drive was bad & I replaced it.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

...You're asking questions about a $15 component that isn't working that's known to die a lot?

Just buy another.

Jesus Christ.

Natural gas was pulled out of the ground, destroying our water, and then burned, to process this tiny, useless, mind polluting stream of electrical signals. Highly reactive uranium atoms were smashed together in a billion dollar facility that's rusting, out of date, and poorly inspected. Coal was mined, harvested, and lit on fire to power your miracle machine, but not before people died trying to get it out of the ground so you could ask such a worthless question.

Think next time so my grandchildren can grow up in a world with electricity.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 21 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

User is offline   Mark 

:P

• Honored Donor

View PostPerson of Color, on 21 April 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Natural gas was pulled out of the ground, destroying our water, and then burned, to process this tiny, useless, mind polluting stream of electrical signals. Highly reactive uranium atoms were smashed together in a billion dollar facility that's rusting, out of date, and poorly inspected. Coal was mined, harvested, and lit on fire to power your miracle machine, but not before people died trying to get it out of the ground so you could ask such a worthless question.

My state is predominantly powered by renewable energy, and my country has no nuclear power plants. Technically I'm not doing too much damage asking the question, but apparently you are in answering it Posted Image

User is offline   Jeff 

If the drive is almost 9 years old, maybe the laser burnt out or something? I had a Blu-ray burner that gave out on me last year, even though I could still see it in Windows, it wouldn't recognize or burn any discs.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 23 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostPerson of Color, on 21 April 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

...You're asking questions about a $15 component that isn't working that's known to die a lot?

Just buy another.

Jesus Christ.

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

View PostJeff, on 23 April 2018 - 07:02 AM, said:

If the drive is almost 9 years old, maybe the laser burnt out or something? I had a Blu-ray burner that gave out on me last year, even though I could still see it in Windows, it wouldn't recognize or burn any discs.

Yeah I'll just get an external one since that's an easy, and more importantly flexible, option. I was just checking here in case there was some kind of software fix.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

The CD/DVD drive on my old laptop developed a strong inclination to not recognise any DVDs while CDs continued to work just fine, sometime after around seven years of use. I Googled the drive model online, only to find out that several users complained about exactly the opposite: their drives would accept DVDs but not read CDs :( I just bought an external drive to get around this.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Just buy another internal drive and swap the bezel.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 12 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options