Duke4.net Forums: HUD shading mystery - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HUD shading mystery

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I fired up my Attrition mod for the first time in ages with the latest build, and to my surprise the player's health is displayed with a dark shade. All the other hud displays are bright, as intended. I looked at the code and the shade value I am using is 0, which has always displayed the health number as bright.

getplayer[screenpeek].i temp
getactor[temp].extra tempb
digitalnumber 2930 46 191 tempb 0 4 289 0 0 xdim ydim
digitalnumber 2930 45 190 tempb 0 2 256 0 0 xdim ydim

Note that the shade parameter is the 0 after the tempb variable.
I tried using digitalnumberz instead, and I tried using different orientation values, but it remains dark. The code for displaying other hud elements which works correctly is identical in the relevant respects.

• Duke Plus Developer

Here is a screenshot showing the problem. The health display used to be the same shade as the ammo count display. My code hasn't changed.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32 2015-06-15 06-52-37-68.jpg

User is offline   Spiker 

That looks pretty shady! Can anyone shed some light o that? Sorry I couldn't help, had a good laugh thoughPosted Image Oh, yeah please help him coders.

User is offline   Evil Ash 

What is your r_shadescale set to?

This post has been edited by Evil Ash: 15 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostEvil Ash, on 15 June 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

What is your r_shadescale set to?

Not sure, but that would only affect the game world, not the hud. Also, I am using identical shade values for other hud elements (shade 0) so they should all have the same shade regardless.

User is offline   Evil Ash 

I'm not much on coding or etc. but I notice when I adjust r_shadescale, it impacts the HUD.
Certain things (the main bar, not-select text, etc.) gets darker.
While "light" things do not change (font selected, the health number, etc.)

Your screenshot reminds me of this. Almost like your health bar is not somehow defined to be fullbright like other HUD elements.

Like this:

Posted Image

Top is default shadescale.
Bottom is 5.

But like I said, I'm not as knowledgeable as others here.
Just something I noticed.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It works just fine for me. The only thing I can think of is that you are using pal 2 instead of zero and your red tint may vary from the game palette red.

View PostEvil Ash, on 15 June 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

Top is default shadescale.
Bottom is 5.

That's normal. It's defined like that in the source code.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 15 June 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

The only thing I can think of is that you are using pal 2 instead of zero and your red tint may vary from the game palette red.

You are right and I was being an idiot for not noticing. At some point I must have put 2 in there for the pal and I have no idea why.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 June 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

You are right and I was being an idiot for not noticing. At some point I must have put 2 in there for the pal and I have no idea why.

To be fair, we did change how palette tints work and it probably did look less wrong before. The grayscale technique was changed from decomposition using max values to something more similar to what an image editing program would output.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options