Duke4.net Forums: Error when using USER & DEFS.CON files - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Error when using USER & DEFS.CON files

User is offline   David B. 

Hi,

My purpose is to use custom .CON files.

I have troubles when using these files, when launching the game I get the message "Error(s) found in file TCGAME.CON - do you want to use internal defaults".

I thought there were erros in the files, but no... because I have done the test also with originals con files !
I'm using a bat file with the instruction "-x game.con" or "-x tcgame.con".
The only thing I did is this and adding original con files in the main directory, this is enough to prevent the game from launching !

I don't understand how to implement con files so that the game doesn't refuse them.

I never noticed that issue years before... I had release an episode of two maps with con files 2 years ago, no problem at that time...

Here are my log files :
eduke32.log : is what I get when I try to use a con file and launching the game is stopped.
eduke32_usual : is what I get usually when I launch the game in normal situation.

In both cases the log files show "some errors" but not coming from me, these are from original files everybody already have I guess.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by David B.: 21 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Do not use autoload as "Custom game content directory". It is named "autoload" for a reason. :)

View PostDavid B., on 21 March 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

My purpose is to use custom .CON files.

I have troubles when using these files, when launching the game I get the message "Error(s) found in file TCGAME.CON - do you want to use internal defaults".

In both cases the log files show "some errors" but not coming from me, these are from original files everybody already have I guess.
TCUSER.CON: At top level:
TCUSER.CON:397: error: expected a keyword but found `'.

This one is coming from you. The line number may be misleading, though, either because the actual error happened somewhere above, or because EDuke32 miscounts the CON line numbers the same way it does with DEF files.
Post or PM TCUSER.CON.

Btw., it seems you're still using an outdated HRP. Get the latest full HRP ZIP, and the according override pack if you prefer the latest Polymost HRP.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 21 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

Here are the two files. I did very little changes from the originals one. Just set the max health to 80 to test it.
Launching the game is just impossible.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDavid B., on 22 March 2015 - 01:43 AM, said:

Here are the two files. I did very little changes from the originals one. Just set the max health to 80 to test it.
Launching the game is just impossible.
So EDuke32 counts the CON lines correctly at least. It's not a stain on your screen but an illegal character in line 397 (below the definelevelname block). Delete it and you should be OK.
You can save the -h option by defining your top level DEF file in TCGAME.CON (setdefname The_City.def). Copy/rename the latter to GAME.CON and everything can work from autoload without any command line parameters. Or add an EDUKE.CON like this one:
setgamename The City
//setcfgname  tc.cfg
setdefname  The_City.def
include     TCGAME.CON

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Yeah, there is a ® floating around. Remove that.

Oh yes, thanks a lot !
Now the files are working !

btw I have just tried the Polymost override pack. I like it but is it normal to have the ancient pistol and shot gun when using it ?
Personally I prefer that one because the new pistol is not very realistic in my opinion... so for me this is not a downside.

This post has been edited by David B.: 22 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDavid B., on 22 March 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

btw I have just tried the Polymost override pack. I like it but is it normal to have the ancient pistol and shot gun when using it ?
Yes.

View PostDavid B., on 22 March 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

Personally I prefer that one because the new pistol is not very realistic in my opinion... so for me this is not a downside.
While I personally agree to your preference, the actual decision was technically driven: no polymerized textures and models unless there is no old-style alternative or an additional polymost skin is provided. That's what keeping the Polymost HRP alive is all about.

To avoid creating a new thread, I'd rather like to report here a .wav sound problem.

When I'm using a .wav sound for an ambiance sound, the game crashes as soon as the sound must be played, closes and go back to windows.
The .wav file format is PCM signed 16bit, 44100 Hz, 1411 kbps, Stereo.

Here is how it is defined :
in defs.con
define CAVE 398

in user.con
definesound CAVE cave.wav 0 0 0 2 0

The only format working is PCM unsigned 8 bits mono. But my purpose is to keep the sound quality... :)
The wiki.eduke32 says .wav files works provided it's "recorded in 8/16bit PCM with a sampling rate in multiples of 11025 Hz". I don't see what's wrong...

This post has been edited by David B.: 23 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Encode it to FLAC.

View PostHendricks266, on 23 March 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Encode it to FLAC.

This is working now 16bits mono, but still not in stereo. Well, let's say it's already an improvement yet.

I also have a background noise on one side when it's played in the game.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You're supposed to use mono for any sound played "in 3D", including ambient sounds. That's how sound works.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDavid B., on 23 March 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

When I'm using a .wav sound for an ambiance sound, the game crashes as soon as the sound must be played, closes and go back to windows.
Your issue might be related to this one. You could try an older executable for the time being.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options