Duke4.net Forums: Tutorials & Resources - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tutorials & Resources

User is offline   blizzart 

Hi, I'm searching for a Blender tutorial on how to texture a model. I converted a .blend file to md3, but the texture on that md3 is totally messed up. I have to tell you that I don't have any experience with Blender...

And I need to know how I install that nDo Photoshop Plugin.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

There is a link to the nDo plugin earlier in the thread (as well as links to Blender Tuts).

User is offline   ox-skull 

Hi, ive been looking for tutorials on how to create normal maps, i checked out the gimp tutorial, but as mentioned earlier links are dead for the plug-ins.

Does anyone know any good tutorials for either gimp or adobe photoshop, i want to make some hi-res textures for Eduke.
Can Eduke use either normal map or bump map? Which one is preferable? From what i know they are similar in function.

I'll continue searching...

thanks.

User is offline   Mark 

There is also a program called Crazy Bump. Eduke uses normal and specular maps. I just did a google search under " gimp normal map plugin" and plenty of current links to the plug-in and tutorials are there.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 01 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

• Polymancer

http://www.philipk.net/ndo.html
We need to put all this crap in the wiki and it needs to be stickied/signposted.
Also this.

EDIT: The first link is dead, but Plagman re-hosts the PDF in the second post on that thread.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 01 December 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

http://www.philipk.net/ndo.html
We need to put all this crap in the wiki and it needs to be stickied/signposted.
Also this.

^ the download links are dead Posted Image

View Postox-skull, on 01 December 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Does anyone know any good tutorials for either gimp or adobe photoshop, i want to make some hi-res textures for Eduke.
Can Eduke use either normal map or bump map? Which one is preferable? From what i know they are similar in function.

I'll continue searching...

thanks.
Here is the GIMP uptodate plug-in
https://code.google....gimp-normalmap/
and the wiki to get new guys started
https://developer.va...ion_in_The_GIMP
and I forgot - normal map
https://en.wikipedia.../Normal_mapping

and from my book marks - normal mapping from photos (i.e. no baking via Maya or Blender)
http://www.katsbits....s-or-images.php

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Ok thanks for the help guys.

I now have managed to make my normal and spec maps.

Now i have been trying to test the texture in-game, but cant manage to get it to load, i have tried to follow the structure of the polymer_HRP.zip file. its says it is loading my zip file but nothing is there. im using texture slot 3466.

I know how to put normal 8-bit textures into the game.

Is there a simpler way to include hi-res textures.

cheers

:P Sweet ive managed to get my highres texture to work, the normal map works too, but is pretty crappy :P, now i need to do some normal map editing.

Ive done this by unzipping polymer_hrp and putting my texture into and rezipping it.

Is it possible to create your own zip file with custom textures, i tried, but im not sure how the def files work to include a sereapte zip. If that made any sense.

What is max texture size, it didnt seem to work until i made it 512x512, from 1024x1024.

thanks.

User is offline   Mark 

The way I did it was to create a folder in the main Eduke directory called highres. Inside of that folder I made 2 more. models and textures where you put the actual textures and models.

Then I made a def file for all the new content and put it in the main Eduke directory. In my project its called graveyard.def and thats where all the lines of code are placed to put my custom textures and models.
texture 3827 {
pal 0 { file "highres/textures/3827.jpg" }
normal { file "highres/textures/3827_n.png" parallaxbias 0 parallaxscale 0 }
specular { file "highres/textures/3827_s.png" }
}

//tombstone
model "highres/sprites/3661.md3" {
scale 2 shade 1
skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "highres/models/stone.png" }
normal { file "highres/models/stone_n.png" parallaxbias 0.01 parallaxscale 0.03 }
frame { name "none00" tile 3661 }
}

Then I made a duke3d.def file and also put that in the main Eduke directory. It has 2 lines.
Include graveyard.def
include duke3d_hrp.def

So the way I did it did not involve messing with any zip files in the autoload folder. But there are other ways to accomplish what I did that may or may not be better.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

Ok, ive set it up according to what you have explainded, ive double checked it, had an instance where it said my texture didnt exsit, id forgotten to add the .png bit. :P

Now im not getting the error, but the texture just doesnt want to appear, im using slot 3500 now.

Thanks

EDIT: I get this error,

Warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 3466. Maybe some tilesXXX.art are not loaded?

This post has been edited by ox-skull: 03 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

User is offline   Hank 

add the lines

setuptile 3466 128 128
texture 3466 { pal 0 { file "mypicture.png" } }

where 128 128 is the dimension of the dummy tile, and mypicture.png the actual low res tile.
You should make and place this dummy tile in the same folder you keep all your hi-res tiles; to stay compatible with the vanilla version of Duke 3D. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

Cheers hank, its now selctable in mapster32.

Thank you everyone for the help.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to solve the issue of a texture not aligning properly in mapster and when you try to move it you cant align it because it 'shifts'.

I remember reading somewhere on the forums what casued it. The texture i have is 512x512.

cheers.

This post has been edited by ox-skull: 04 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postox-skull, on 03 December 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

Cheers hank, its now selctable in mapster32.

You mean setuptile?

p.s. I corrected my previous post, since it is on a sticky Posted Image

Ok i used this code,

setuptile 3466 128 128
texture 3466 { pal 0 { file "mymod/rock.png" } }

texture 3466 {
pal 0 { file "mymod/rock.png" }
normal { file "mymod/rocknm.png" parallaxbias 0 parallaxscale 0 }
specular { file "mymod/rocksm.png" }
}

texture is now not displayed in mapster32.

I changed setuptile back to the previous command, which i think was definetexture. now at best im getting an orange wall and this msg agian: Warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 3466. Maybe some tilesXXX.art are not loaded? and it now its saying i have errors in line 1 .

im really confused, it worked, now it doesnt?

EDIT: nevermind it was dummytile command, my texture is now back, i dont really understand the full usage of setuptile.

This post has been edited by ox-skull: 05 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Postox-skull, on 05 December 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Ok i used this code,

setuptile 3466 128 128
texture 3466 { pal 0 { file "mymod/rock.png" } }

texture 3466 {
}

texture is now not displayed in mapster32.

I changed setuptile back to the previous command, which i think was definetexture. now at best im getting an orange wall and this msg agian: Warning: defined hightile replacement for empty tile 3466. Maybe some tilesXXX.art are not loaded? and it now its saying i have errors in line 1 .

im really confused, it worked, now it doesnt?

EDIT: nevermind it was dummytile command, my texture is now back, i dont really understand the full usage of setuptile.

If you are using a 32bit texture, just place this into your .def file:

dummytile 3466 128 128
texture 3466 {
}

It will show the texture you defined after the texture command in Mapster.

User is offline   Cage 

Some of my stuff about 8-bit/classic artwork :

My walkthrough through making a texture
Insight into some of ideas, tools and workflow

Downscaling research :)
Difference between the results of different resampling methods when downscaling stuff

BTW. I can port over the threads to this forum, which sub-forum would be the most suitable?

This post has been edited by Cage: 13 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Surely I missed a tutorial in this threat, but here I have downloaded a weapon model (.blend) and I want to save the texture of it.
So what do I ave to do in Blender?

Exporting to md3 is no problem, but how do I get the skin of the model into a png file?

Here is the screenshot of what I´m talking about:

Attached Image: model1.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

Do a Google search for Blender UV unwrapping. Tutorials and videos should be listed.

View PostMark., on 14 December 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Do a Google search for Blender UV unwrapping. Tutorials and videos should be listed.

Ah thanks. UV Unwrapping was the word I´ve forgotten, so I didn´t know wat to search for.

Another thing: Can I take any influence on the size of the model, when exporting? I exported a water tower to md3, but it is very very tiny in Mapster. Even when I put the size to the maximum it is not bigger than a medikit.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Assuming you're using my exporter you can scale it upon export, it's a slider bar. Also you can set scale with def code, or grab the whole model and scale it in blender using "s"

View PostDrek, on 14 December 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Assuming you're using my exporter you can scale it upon export, it's a slider bar. Also you can set scale with def code, or grab the whole model and scale it in blender using "s"

Thanks Drek, now I found (didn´t scroll down on the left side). I think it´s time for me to go to bed...

User is offline   Scott_AW 

http://solmire.com/

I found this recently, converts midi to MP3 of various qualities using a array of different soundfonts. It runs in browser and you can make 30 second samples or full conversions and then download the resulting mp3.

It also has a prechecked box to add your music to their database, so if its something you don't want floating around then I would uncheck that box.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

foobar2000 does excellent MIDI renderings.

Here's something nice to reduce the size if PNG files: http://www.tinypng.org

User is offline   Hank 

^ the web site wrote that Photoshop can not do this.
The GIMP can. For those into the image rich web sites, here is a way to reduce png files via the GIMP, and you have full control on what gets reduced how.
http://howto.nicubun...dexing_png_web/
I should add that you convert the original to an indexed color first and then export it as an png.

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Chip 

It's been a long time since I did anything with Duke and so today I decided to export a model from Blender3D, using Plagman's md3 exporter. However, while trying to export a model with a large number of animations, I accidentally changed the wrong number in the script file itself. I changed the 3 digit number that starts on line 4 column 632 but I don't remember what it was before. (128?) Could someone who has this script open theirs in a text editor and tell me what that number is meant to be? Thanks.

P.S: I did look through this thread for a download link as I was just going to simply re-download it, but it appears absent from the list.

*edit*

Never mind, I found it on the old 3D Realms forum ( http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=16088 ), which I didn't realize was still up and running - and amazingly, I still remember my password for my account over there. :)

This post has been edited by Chip: 07 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I think there are a lot more recent versions of that script; was Drek the last one who messed with exporting MD3s?

• Polymancer

Drek has a new one that works with 2.66. A search should give you the thread title.

I've looked, but I can't find a tutorial for how to create new weapons for Duke mods. Like, a step-by-step 'here's how to make them, here's how to put them in the game, here's how to set how they fire' all those sorts of things. Not how to install mods other people have made - how to make and add new ones from scratch. Can anyone help me out?

This post has been edited by KeepsakeMoose: 24 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

User is offline   Mark 

To start the whole process, are you familiar with making models or sprites right now in any modeling or graphics program?

If not, the rest of the process is meaningless until then. There are so many small steps involved and is beyond one single tutorial.

Making the model or sprite. Animating it. Convert it to the proper format. Learn def and con code ( or at least be able to understand the tips and tutorials from various places including the Eduke Wiki page in order to place it in the game and determine what projectile it will fire, its killing strength, the sound it makes, etc...

I know I don't have the patience to make an "all in one" tutorial. But once you get your weapon made I'm sure some people here will be happy to help you get the rest of the way. There are plenty of examples and small seperate tutorials around. It just takes a bit more searching unfortunately. Also, you can learn a lot by looking at the code from other people's mods. I did a lot of that.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options