Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostJames, on 17 February 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time :P I did wonder where you went since you always were a decent poster

Thanks for that James. Life gets better though, and the next 12 months are looking to be awesome for me so I'm really stoked!

View PostJames, on 17 February 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

- there hasn't been any updates for 3D skyboxes but there is true Room over Room support - basically helixhorned added the ability for very easy 3D stuff in Duke and Build now. You were using Polymer for your stuff right? If you have time, look up Micky and Paul's new map which shows you what's possible with TROR, I'm sure you'll find it every useful :lol:

Thanks for that, I'll go check it out tonight and see what they've come up with :P I've been using Polymer for everything so the TROR is definitely on the cards. With the few hours a week I've had recently I've been taking the time to rebuild some maps of mine from scratch. The error checking features in the newer builds have highlighted several significant errors that have likely stemmed from my upgrading a decade old map - all my fault. I've been creating some more realistic and efficient models to use that have already drastically improved performance and visual aesthetics. It sucks to have to start over, but there were some key issues with my older maps that were causing horrific performance problems and were simply unfixable, but I'm finding that rebuilding those maps is making them far better than I could have ever hoped!

I've got some ambitious ideas planned that are already putting me in over my head in the conceptual phase... But I'm excited to give things a try!

This post has been edited by Sobek: 26 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What's the name of this map? I want to take a look. ROR still doesn't work in Polymer, right?

EDIT: Never mind I found it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostSobek, on 26 February 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

With the few hours a week I've had recently I've been taking the time to rebuild some maps of mine from scratch. The error checking features in the newer builds have highlighted several significant errors that have likely stemmed from my upgrading a decade old map - all my fault.

Hey, if you don't mind, I could take a look at them and see if that's fixable. I'm always interested in weird map corruptions.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 February 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

ROR still doesn't work in Polymer, right?

Plagman implemented TROR support for Polymer a while ago. The most acute problem with it is the drawing glitches with intersecting translucent masks, IMO.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

TX's old-fashioned SW-style ROR is the one still unsupported in Polymer.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Intersecting, or occluding? There's not much to do about the former.

• The Sarien Encounter

I tried Micky's map. There are a load of rogue texture issues on almost every ROR section unless you look at them at a certain angle. Both in 8-bit and polymost mode.

EDIT: Never mind. This issue is completely non-existent in polymer. New mapping possibilities just opened up for me with the map I'm working on. Where's the thread that explains how TROR works again? I can't seem to find it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostPlagman, on 27 February 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Intersecting, or occluding? There's not much to do about the former.

Oops, indeed, it's occlusion I meant.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 February 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

I tried Micky's map. There are a load of rogue texture issues on almost every ROR section unless you look at them at a certain angle. Both in 8-bit and polymost mode.

EDIT: Never mind. This issue is completely non-existent in polymer. New mapping possibilities just opened up for me with the map I'm working on. Where's the thread that explains how TROR works again? I can't seem to find it.

Yeah; Polymer is the renderer of choice for TROR: that's where the initial design came from. All the information is probably in that thread:

http://forums.duke4....room-over-room/

It's very diluted, though. Ideally someone would create a complete TROR guide/documentation on the Wiki.

• The Sarien Encounter

Strange, for some reason I thought it was the other way around. Maybe that was for something else? Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll take what I can get. Maybe it should be stickied.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If someone created a new page on the wiki, I might be able to make a TROR guide some time.

• The Sarien Encounter

Please do. I'm already running into trouble. Ctrl+E doesn't seem to work.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 27 February 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

If someone created a new page on the wiki, I might be able to make a TROR guide some time.

Hit it! http://wiki.eduke32....m_Mapping_Guide

• The Sarien Encounter

Is there someway to make a glass floor separating two joined upper/lower sectors breakable?

User is offline   Diaz 

I've got a question... first person weapons are not affected by Polymer lights if they are sprites, is this normal? Also, glow mapping doesn't seem to work on them. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Diaz: 28 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

@Hendricks; I'll try to start that within a week.

@MuciallyInspired; No, not yet anyway.

@Diaz; yes, HUD sprites are not affected by polymer lights, but not sure about the glow mapping.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Best bet if you want hud sprites effected by polymer lights is to build a flat model and have the sprite be its uv. Pain in the ass to move things around though and the light won't be correct (although you could make a good normal for it and it would probably be okay).

There's other crazy things you could do too like detect the nearest light and have a series of definetints/pals (for coloration) and shift the shade around based on the expected brightness.

I'm talking out of my ass now as I'm a bit tired, but hopefully it's helpful anyway.

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostMblackwell, on 28 February 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

Best bet if you want hud sprites effected by polymer lights is to build a flat model and have the sprite be its uv. Pain in the ass to move things around though and the light won't be correct (although you could make a good normal for it and it would probably be okay).

There's other crazy things you could do too like detect the nearest light and have a series of definetints/pals (for coloration) and shift the shade around based on the expected brightness.

I'm talking out of my ass now as I'm a bit tired, but hopefully it's helpful anyway.

You know, I once tried something just like that... I wanted to try and see what a phaser rifle would look like as a sprite only, because I had an image of one that looked brilliant (in the 'ready to fire' first person position too), but I wanted the Polymer HUD lighting to work on it. What I did was create a flat plane basic model and with a little DEF tinkering, got it properly rotated for first person view (hard to explain, but I positioned it where the gun WOULD be and rotated it to the right about 30 degrees on the centre axis). Then I just applied the texture of the rifle to it, had a look in-game, warped the perspective of the texture a bit in photoshop, looked again, warped again and so forth until it looked almost completely normal in first person mode... Then with a normal map on, the lighting was almost perfect on it.

Unfortunately it was just too much work for every weapon and every animation, and then the model went kaput randomly one day and I lost all that work (it was a one-off test, no backups) so I just didn't bother and instead fixed my phaser rifle to a really nice full 3d mesh. My point is that with a fair deal of work, time and effort, it can be done and it can look great. I just wish I'd taken some screenshots... But I never felt it was finished :lol:

*edit* I just whipped this up in about 1 minute based on what I remember doing last time. You could simplify the model plane drastically but that's not the point. What I did was fire up the phaser rifle model from a Google Sketchup mesh, rotate it roughly how I wanted, took a screenshot, cut out just the rifle and stuck it on a blank canvas in photoshop with a transparent background, saved it as a PNG, then applied it as a texture for the flat plane mesh in Milkshape3D and... voila. It's totally basic but with some further tinkering you can nail it down awesomely. Stick on a normal map and it's great;

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sobek: 28 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You could use something other than Milkshape and position your model in the viewport and then take a render, rather than a screenshot. You could get some nice lighting effects on the firing animation that way.

Yes, it does take a lot of work.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 February 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

You could use something other than Milkshape and position your model in the viewport and then take a render, rather than a screenshot. You could get some nice lighting effects on the firing animation that way.

Yes, it does take a lot of work.

You mean for taking the initial snapshot of the model to use as a texture? I used Sketchup & Milkshape in my example above but originally gave Blender a whirl (did a highres render with the ambient occlusion baked in and lots of AA applied for the best quality). As you say, it's a lot of work, but the results can be pretty spectacular!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yeah, otherwise I'm thinking you would just use Polymer lighting on your model. I suppose you could do an AO bake and add some basic lighting to your render on the flat model. Then let Polymer add ambient lights from the game world. It might work.

Here's the pistol HUD model. It's just slapped together, but gives you the idea of what could be achieved with some care taken on lighting.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

:lol: There it is! That's the original gun right there!

User is offline   Jblade 

Running the latest snapshot, I get this error:
AMCENEMY.CON:526: warning: number greater than INT32_MAX converted to a negative one.
AMCENEMY.CON:536: warning: number greater than INT32_MAX converted to a negative one.

I checked, and it's related to the number at the end of the hitscan:
hitscan x y z mysector mycos mysin zdist hitsector hitwall hitsprite hitx hity hitz 4294901808

That's the number I got off of the hitscan page on the wiki; what should I use now if this number's not allowed anymore?

This post has been edited by James: 04 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

It's OK to use now, but serves as a reminder for me. Just ignore it.

edit: other than that, it's just what it says: a warning that the number is actually converted to a negative one by re-interpreting the bits.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLeoD, on 04 February 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Proposal:
What about adding an echo or version command/directive to the CON and DEF languages?
If these files could put out a version number it would be easy to identify outdated Mods or HRP versions when someone posts his eduke32.log.

View PostHendricks266, on 04 February 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Echo would be simple enough. Maybe I'll work on it.

A "version" command for mods is completely unnecessary, but I added "echo".

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------
r2419 | hendricks266 | 2012-03-05 01:24:04 -0600 (Mon, 05 Mar 2012) | 1 line

Add "echo" CON command which allows the user to print a quote only to the console and log file, for debugging or informational purposes. EVENT_INIT can finally be put to use!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

View PostLeoD, on 29 January 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Today I somewhat restored my broken compile environment. But building the debug version fails for the backtrace DLL. Any ideas?

A newer version of binutils included a new libbfd which added more dependencies to libintl than the one backtrace.c already accounted for. I added some semblance of the depended-upon functions in question to backtrace.c. If you added "-lintl" to your Makefile, remove it. (For those interested, they were libintl_*printf that were needed, so I set up functions of those that passed them through to normal *printf.)

r2422 | hendricks266 | 2012-03-05 01:25:55 -0600 (Mon, 05 Mar 2012) | 1 line

Fix building ebacktrace1.dll with versions of binutils/libbfd after 2.20.51-1. This removes the need to link and depend on libintl (for now).

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I had a crash while playing Metropolitan Mayhem at the end of Meatball Sub makin', I don't think is a bug related with that map, so I posted here.

The crash log:

Spoiler

EDIT: And every time I reload the saved game, it crashes again....

This post has been edited by Norvak: 06 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNorvak, on 06 March 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

I had a crash while playing Metropolitan Mayhem at the end of Meatball Sub makin', I don't think is a bug related with that map, so I posted here.
EDIT: And every time I reload the saved game, it crashes again....

Did you change the CON file? I got some pretty similar crashes and crashlogs when fiddling with the CON to make it DukePlus/HRP compatible. (I moved the episode from 5 to 2.)

View PostHendricks266, on 04 March 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

A "version" command for mods is completely unnecessary, but I added "echo".

I'm mostly interested to have this in DEF files. The Polymer HRP ZIPs for example come without version info in the filename. The only way to tell the actual version is to ask the logfile's uploader.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 07 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

There's progress concerning the sound issues that have plagued people lately.

In IRC, Hendricks mentioned that current EDuke32 versions don't play all explosion sounds from the destructible building sequence in E1L2. This inspired me to bisect the synthesis builds, and indeed, reverting the following change of r1601 will make it sound like before again:
     if (g_sounds[num].num > 0 && PN != MUSICANDSFX)
-    {
-        if (g_sounds[num].SoundOwner[0].i == i) S_StopSound(num);
-        else if (g_sounds[num].num > 1) S_StopSound(num);
-        else if (A_CheckEnemySprite(&sprite[i]) && sprite[i].extra <= 0) S_StopSound(num);
-    }
+        S_StopEnvSound(num, i);

However, this does not fix the abrupt sound cutoffs that can be reproduced by e.g. kicking against a wall in WGR2. By chance (and thanks to Micky's WGR2 map), I found an easy way of producing a very strange sonic inconsistency, a test map for which is attached with this post. Just fire an RPG into the distance, and then kick continuously againt the wall in front of you. Observe.

Now, the interesting thing is that it's been like this since version 1.3D! (But, as far as I can see, it wasn't present in v0.99).
I believe that it's this bug that is at the root of all the other sound cutoffs.

For the time being, I will not change the sound code because I'm not knowledgeable enough about it: I don't fully understand the intent of the first change and I haven't got a solution for the second one, though it'll probably be sensible to start at S_Update() and see about how sounds are associated with sprite IDs.

EDIT: ...And it's all clear. Woe to sounds that outlive their owning sprites :). This is a big issue.

Attached File(s)

• Weaponized Autism

Good work, Helix!

View PostLeoD, on 07 March 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

I'm mostly interested to have this in DEF files. The Polymer HRP ZIPs for example come without version info in the filename. The only way to tell the actual version is to ask the logfile's uploader.

r2435 | hendricks266 | 2012-03-10 03:44:17 -0600 (Sat, 10 Mar 2012) | 2 lines

Add "echo" def parameter which prints a string to the console and log file.
Syntax: echo "Your text here."

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 10 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 10 March 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

r2435
Yeah, cool! Now the log file can look like this:

Loading 'dukeplus.def'
Duke Plus 2.30 [Z-pack]
High Resolution Pack 5.1.311+ Polymost override
SC-55 Music Pack 3.0 HQ
Z-Pack 5.1.WIP Polymost
Definitions file 'dukeplus.def' loaded.

EDIT: Now the last thing on my wishlist would be suppressing the dispensable warning messages about issues of the original GAME.CONs in the GRPs.
GAME.CON: In actor `ORGANTIC':
GAME.CON:3967: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
GAME.CON: In state `pigshootenemystate':
GAME.CON:5890: warning: found `else' with no `if'.

Chances are nil that this would mask out any problems in a user-created CON.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 10 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

I just fixed a pretty serious flaw with the Polymer model animation code, which would cause any animation that included frame 0 to look choppier than it should be. This fixes a number of problems with a lot of models in the HRP, but I'm not sure whether it fixes every problem that people have been copmlaining about lately. Please let me know if there are outstanding issues with this.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options