Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHelixhorned, on 10 February 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

I was suggesting to render floor-aligned voxels as voxels, but lying flat on the ground. Hence "just work".
One more time I didn't understand what people are taking about in this thread ... :lol:

View PostHelixhorned, on 10 February 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

In the screenshot, do you object to the small but noticeable gap between the dipswitch model and the surrounding wall-aligned sprites? That's a bug of the model, it doesn't align perfectly.
No issue for me. Maybe intentional to improve hiding of 180° turned switches. Lots of models have far more serious outline/offset issues, maybe to fit their occurrences in the original levels. Some of the are listed in hrp_todo.txt.

View PostHendricks266, on 10 February 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

In fact, this may be an opportunity to implement pitch and roll for voxels. In Polymost this would be as simple as applying the transformation to the generated model, [...]
Yes, please!

View PostHendricks266, on 10 February 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Sidenote: Have we established a defined order of application of angoff, pitch, roll, and md[xyz]off?
In maphacks I've established alphabetical order: angoff, mdxoff, mdyoff, mdzoff, pitch, roll. For 99.9 (or 100?)% of all cases the order doesn't matter anyway. If possible I attach negative values to the pitch and roll parameters only, instead of md[x|y|z]off.

User is offline   Darkus 

I don't know if it was posted before, but I found an old bug concerning the holoduke.

The monsters does not behave with the holoduke like they should.
In the DOS version, the monsters go after the holoduke only if the player is not closer than them.
But in EDuke32, the monsters always go after the holoduke, even if the player is closer.

I was also about to report a SFX volume issue, but it was already posted here

One last thing, it is possible to enable vsync in classic 8-bit mode in fullscreen?

User is offline   Jblade 

I remember asking something like this before, but I can't remember - is/was there a way to add a less demanding version of rotatesprite, for mostly static display elements? I do remember being told that the game cycles through whatever rotatesprite is used before continuing the game which can lead to slowdown. I've got a mission interface that uses a lot of rotatesprite for mission markers and stuff, however the graphics are completely static once displayed on screen - is there a way to code a variant of rotatesprite that only updates/refreshes after a certain amount of tics?

EDIT: also noticed that enemies seem to clip through sprite 2D floors now - I'll check to see if it occurs all the time or under specific circumstances.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 13 February 2015 - 02:45 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHelixhorned, on 05 February 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

That was not the reason for enforcers wrongly walking on water. First, note that the condition effectively checks whether an actor should stay put in its sector in the second line; the following ones are just special cases (Cycloid Emperor not leaving arena, other bosses not walking into water sectors). This has nothing to do with "dipping" into water or not. The line was commented out because otherwise, lizmen and z-stationary liztroops are prevented from leaving an ST1 sector by A_MoveSpriteClipdist().

The reason for the enforcers -- and maybe other actors -- wrongly walking on water was that there was that the z position of a sprite was updated in at least two locations, and in an inconsistent manner. First, in MV_Fall(), there is a check for whether an actor should dip into water: this is only the case if
  • it's allowed to do that (more on that below),
  • has jumptoplayer_only (bit 512) movflag clear, and
  • currently has a zero vertical velocity.

Second, there was z updating in VM_Move(), but without handling the dipping special case.

The recent revisions check whether an actor may dip into water in VM_Move(), too, fixing the above-mentioned issue. While this is yet another departure from original behavior, having things consistent seems to outweigh this concern. I have also added a new spriteflag, SFLAG_NOWATERDIP, doing what it sounds like.

I'd be curious to hear whether it fixes any (or preferably, all) real problems.

That's a bug. If an enemy is moved after being hit by a weapon (which excludes the bosses), it ignores the conditions which prevents the enemy from leaving its sector.

However that shouldn't be a reason to exclude the condition from the Troopers or Enforcers. Instead of having a rare occurrence of a Trooper or Enforcer getting stuck in a sector with lo-tag 1 – which already happens with all stayput enemies – now the levels are populated by Troopers and Enforcers underwater. IMHO that drastically changes the gameplay and is not worth it.

Given the fact that only enemies like Octabrains or Protector Drones are found underwater in the stock maps, it doesn't seems that the other enemies are supposed to breath underwater, evidenced by the Enforcer corpse in E2L8. Technically the game doesn't prevent a mapper from placing these enemies underwater, but that's not different from making a Shark fly by placing it out of water.

But if you want to keep it this way, instead of commenting out that line, you can solve the problem by checking if the sprite is not already in a sector with lo-tag 1.

This post has been edited by Fox: 17 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 05 February 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

Line 252, rotatespritea: invalid coordinates: -21430272, 3145728

What are the limits?

if (EDUKE32_PREDICT_FALSE(x < -(320<<16) || x >= (640<<16) || y < -(200<<16) || y >= (400<<16)))
                {
                    CON_ERRPRINTF("invalid coordinates: %d, %d\n", x, y);
                    continue;
                }

I do agree that they are somewhat arbitrary and should be purged. The classic rotatesprite routines don't behave very well as far as extreme cases are concerned, though.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostLeoD, on 11 February 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

No issue for me. Maybe intentional to improve hiding of 180° turned switches.

I meant the gaps at three of the four edges of the switch:

Attached Image: capt0001.png

The one on the far right is really minor, but still noticeable. This is just kind of an appeal to modelers to create these kinds of assets based on an exact grid.

View PostJblade, on 13 February 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

EDIT: also noticed that enemies seem to clip through sprite 2D floors now - I'll check to see if it occurs all the time or under specific circumstances.

Apparently, my recent round of game-side clipping changes was suboptimal. We are discussing this privately and will hopehully come up with something better.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 February 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

if (EDUKE32_PREDICT_FALSE(x < -(320<<16) || x >= (640<<16) || y < -(200<<16) || y >= (400<<16)))
                {
                    CON_ERRPRINTF("invalid coordinates: %d, %d\n", x, y);
                    continue;
                }

I do agree that they are somewhat arbitrary and should be purged. The classic rotatesprite routines don't behave very well as far as extreme cases are concerned, though.

Thanks. The real problem is the error message, which is not very useful in this case.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostJblade, on 11 February 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

On a different note, we get sporadic crashes with rotscrnang after a while of gameplay - it seems to be some kind of conflict with horiz but it's fairly random (but normally after a specific amount of time) I'm going to try and narrow down when it occurs to give more information (although I'm pretty tight on time at the minute)

EDIT: after looking at it in a bit more detail, I think rotscrnang doesn't like using 1024 (which is 180 upside down) since there's a graphical glich in the center of the screen when this value is used. It's not a problem to work around it on my part but it might be worth looking into anyways.

Thanks for pointing out this issue and narrowing down its cause! Fixed in r5009.

User is offline   Fox 

r4903 | terminx | 2015-01-10 20:56:38 -0800 (Sat, 10 Jan 2015) | 1 line

Introduce "twalltype" for temporary uses of walltype where using wall_tracker_hook() would be invalid. This is similar to "tspritetype" and fixes a bunch of problems in the editor that cropped up when changing the tracker sanity checks to an assert that only exists in debug builds (branching upon any write to a sprite, sector or wall had an unacceptable impact on performance).

How feasible would it be to add tsectortype and twalltype to the game?

This post has been edited by Fox: 17 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I think you're a bit confused, it's like tspritetype in that it doesn't trigger some internal modification tracking stats, not like the "tsprites" that are generated from and control sprite rendering.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 16 February 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

That's a bug. If an enemy is moved after being hit by a weapon (which excludes the bosses), it ignores the conditions which prevents the enemy from leaving its sector.

What does "That" refer to?

Arguably, enemies leaving their designated "stay put" sector is a bug, but one that is likely to occur infrequently.

However that shouldn't be a reason to exclude the condition from the Troopers or Enforcers. Instead of having a rare occurrence of a Trooper or Enforcer getting stuck in a sector with lo-tag 1 – which already happens with all stayput enemies – now the levels are populated by Troopers and Enforcers underwater. IMHO that drastically changes the gameplay and is not worth it.

The quoted code snippet has nothing to do with Enforcers appearing underwater by submerging. I'm attaching a map lzwtrtst.map (for "liz water test") which can also be run in Duke3D. It contains a water sector (above and underwater) with an Enforcer in it. It will submerge at the first attempt to jump, and it will do that in a pretty ugly fashion: not when hitting the water after the jump, but on initiating it!

Note: when you change the water to TROR water without SE7, the Enforcer can now jump on it, but will still submerge -- now, on hitting the water surface.

Given the fact that only enemies like Octabrains or Protector Drones are found underwater in the stock maps, it doesn't seems that the other enemies are supposed to breath underwater, evidenced by the Enforcer corpse in E2L8. Technically the game doesn't prevent a mapper from placing these enemies underwater, but that's not different from making a Shark fly by placing it out of water.

I agree that from a gameplay point of view, it might be preferable to force lizmen to stay on the surface. However, that would be a departure from classic Duke3D, as just shown.

But if you want to keep it this way, instead of commenting out that line, you can solve the problem by checking if the sprite is not already in a sector with lo-tag 1.

Won't help. If I change the check to "old sector was above water, new one is underwater", there's no noticeable change as far as this issue is concerned. The reason is that this particular code snippet, shown here once again, is supposed to prevent sector change due to horizontal movement, not submersion.

Spoiler

The value returned from this function when the condition is hit (16384+sectnum) is used to determine potential submersion later.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 18 February 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

It contains a water sector (above and underwater) with an Enforcer in it.

The point is that a mapper is not supposed to do that. What bug may occur from that misstep doesn't matter, it's an undefined behavior.

This post has been edited by Fox: 18 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 18 February 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

The point is that a mapper is not supposed to do that.

Just so we understand each other, a mapper is not supposed to place Enforces into ST1 (above water) sectors?

What bug may occur from that misstep doesn't matter

Then what was your complaint about?

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 19 February 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Just so we understand each other, a mapper is not supposed to place Enforces into ST1 (above water) sectors?

Yes.

Then what was your complaint about?

That the gameplay has been drastically changed to fix that undefined behavior.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 19 February 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Yes.

OK, it finally dawned to me that what you objected to was Enforcers and Troopers changing into ST1 sectors from non-ST1 sectors.

r5021 said:

actors.c: make Enforcers and Troopers avoid ST1 sectors as in Duke3D.

That is, resurrect the stayput condition for LIZMAN and non-flying
LIZTROOP, but only if changing from a non-ST1 sector.

I hope everyone can agree with that: it restores the Duke3D behavior while allowing enemies which strayed into the water in some way (such as a flying Trooper) to move freely into adjacent water sectors[1]. Actually, I'm not so sure anymore why the condition was commented out in the first place. It does not prevent enemies leaving water sectors (the check looks at the updated sector number).

[1] In case of non-submergible water. Otherwise, they submerge in the aforementioned ugly way on contact...

Edit: OK, the reason it was originally commented out is: because they would stay at the same (x, y) position once on the water? Well, the additional condition in my commit fixes that.

User is offline   Fox 

THANK YOU.

View PostHelixhorned, on 20 February 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

Edit: OK, the reason it was originally commented out is: because they would stay at the same (x, y) position once on the water? Well, the additional condition in my commit fixes that.

As I explained above, I assumed the reason was because if an actor moves after being shot, it will ignore the stayput condition. That's the only reason I can think of for the Trooper and Lizman being commented out but not the bosses (since these don't move from damage).

User is offline   Fox 

Small issue with screentext. If I use 16 bits precision, center aligned texts are offset with precision, making it harder to reproduce the default status bar scaled.

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

I realized that it's possible to play the intro/briefing/loading tracks by changing the volume to 7. Given that, is it possible to expose MAXVOLUMES to CON?

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 20 February 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

THANK YOU.

Hey, you're welcome! But... it would have been awesome if you just said what I said from the start :).

As I explained above, I assumed the reason was because if an actor moves after being shot, it will ignore the stayput condition.

It won't ignore the condition, though. Check it out yourself: set LIZSTRENGTH to 1000 in USER.CON and empty a chaingun burst on him which he's at the brink of a water sector.

View PostFox, on 20 February 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

I realized that it's possible to play the intro/briefing/loading tracks by changing the volume to 7. Given that, is it possible to expose MAXVOLUMES to CON?

Actually, I'm in favor of exposing all of the relevant "manifest constants", partly because they're sometimes not that constant -- such as sector/wall/sprite limits depending on EDuke32 build options. However, I'd like to be reasonably sure that introducing these won't semantically clash with user defines in the wild, and my large collection of CON mods and TCs currently resides on a (physically, as it turned out) damaged disk.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 20 February 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

Small issue with screentext. If I use 16 bits precision, center aligned texts are offset with precision, making it harder to reproduce the default status bar scaled.

Posted Image

I don't understand.

User is offline   Fox 

If I understand what the quick weapon switch option is for, it's not working.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostFox, on 21 February 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

If I understand what the quick weapon switch option is for, it's not working.

It works properly, I just forgot to remove it from the PC version.

User is offline   Fox 

Nah, I thought it was an option make switching weapons work like in the DOS version. Which would not be a bad idea. :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Has anyone noticed that the engine seems to overestimate the clipping of floors with relatively large slopes? Like if it's sloped upwards, you'd be positioned higher then you should be at the peak of the slope? Is that normal?

User is offline   Fox 

I believe that's because the engine calculates the clipping height based on the sprite center, not the highest point of the sloped sector.

User is offline   Jblade 

Just a quick question, can I use a sector's .alignto function with relative impunity (as the wiki says it serves no purpose) or is there a limitation to it?

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostJblade, on 26 February 2015 - 03:28 AM, said:

Just a quick question, can I use a sector's .alignto function with relative impunity (as the wiki says it serves no purpose) or is there a limitation to it?

Since r4415, that member is used to override a sector's fog pal in the GL renderers.

User is offline   Jblade 

Well the TC's built for classic mode so that's not a big problem then, thanks!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I would discourage overloading members of the main game struct. I urge you to use a gamearray of size MAXSECTORS (or numsectors, if you resize after map load) instead.

User is offline   Steve 64 

MrRumbleRoses told me think yesterday EDuke32 now has Demo Recording, That awesome news make it easier to record videos now I should update my eduke32

This post has been edited by Steven Shipler: 26 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options