Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 freezes when quitting game - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 freezes when quitting game

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Problem:
Game itself runs fine, but when quitting, EDuke32 always freezes when pressing "y" for "yes" during the exit question ("n" for "no" works fine). This issue persists in both Polymost and Polymer rendering, with no additional mods or HRP loaded. Additional observation: Language selection is shown in taskbar every time after this (wasn't active before).

Hardware:
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.5 GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Creative Soundblaster Z

Software:
MS Windows 8.1 64bit
GeForce driver v340.52
EDuke32 (64bit) r4552

Settings from eduke32.cfg:
Spoiler

Settings from settings.cfg:
Spoiler

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Is there any difference in behavior with the 32-bit version or the debug binaries?

• The Truth is in here

It's the same result with 32 and 64 bit. Same goes for the debug binaries.

I should add that it works normally if I do not load any level before (i.e. quit straight from menu after the game is loaded for the first time). As soon as I try to quit from within any level, this happens.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Post the crashlog from the debug versions.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostHendricks420, on 01 August 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Post the crashlog from the debug versions.

Common sense is for pussies - IGSRJ

• The Truth is in here

Not needed any more. I found what was causing it: Was using Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth (in combination with StrikingUAC's SC-55 soundfont), and it seems EDuke32 doesn't like it at all. Only completely uninstalling it fixed the exit crash. Sad stuff, was hoping for getting better MIDI synthesis even under Win 8.1, but it seems to remain a dream.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNightFright, on 02 August 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

Not needed any more.
It could still be useful to improve EDuk32's stability.

• The Truth is in here

The thing is that it apparently crashes differently with the debug version. With the normal EDuke32 build, I can get to the task manager. Then the usual Windows message would pop up that the program doesn't respond any more and it searches online for solutions. After that, you can just close it. With the debug version however, the screen just remains black when trying to switch to task manager. In the background, the debug thing is running, everything set up as stated in the wiki. But since I am unable to completely terminate EDuke32, I also cannot access the console to run the backtrace.

I really tried this for over an hour and I didn't come up with a way to get those crash logs. I am really sorry, folks. Maybe I'll try again at a later point with a better result. All I can tell for now is that with my current configuration here, VirtualMIDISynth somehow makes EDuke32 hang when quitting - I even tried with an old build (r3362 from Jan 1, 2013) and it would still happen. Sad thing is that anything else is running just fine. It won't even help if you set MIDI synth back to MS Wavetable within VMS, still crashing. Doesn't stop before you uninstall it. Another thing I have tried: From within the level, quit to title first and then quit game, no change. As long as you don't load any map, it's OK, after that, it's screwed.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

User is offline   williamjcm 

View PostNightFright, on 02 August 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

Not needed any more. I found what was causing it: Was using Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth (in combination with StrikingUAC's SC-55 soundfont), and it seems EDuke32 doesn't like it at all. Only completely uninstalling it fixed the exit crash. Sad stuff, was hoping for getting better MIDI synthesis even under Win 8.1, but it seems to remain a dream.

I got the same problem here. Currently, only Eduke32 crashes with it. ZDoom (and variants) and Guitar Pro don't have any problem with it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options