Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

This at about 2:28 he briefly mentions Duke Nukem, he doesn't seem to know much about it other than Duke looks like "how I used to look". So he may not have even been asked to be in it, but I really do remember hearing about him being in it.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 02 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

User is offline   Besli 

View PostRinyRed, on 02 May 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Yes, it was this:
http://i.imgur.com/MCbsYOB.jpg

It's the Total Meltdown/Duke Nukem 64 print ad artwork/alternate unused Duke Nukem 3D cover artwork with Duke and the mushroom cloud cloned out.

Wow, thank you very much!

I still have this low resolution scan of the second Zero Hour Pic:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Besli: 02 May 2014 - 11:49 PM

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

I don't know if anyone cares but I'm creating a wallpaper out of the Zero Hour poster (the one without the hat). I will upload it soon.

View PostTerminX, on 29 April 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

I have seen the laser chainsaw... for every cool thing I've posted here or mentioned to anyone, I've seen about 3 dozen. B)

But the real question is, is the Laser Chainsaw among those things you posted?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

No, just because it wasn't anything special. Looked like a pretty bad earlier render of the same model with an energy beam of fullbright red and white pixels coming out of it. A lot of these weapons seemed to start out as ideas to clone the same set of basic weapons in DOOM, as most shooters do. The Shrinker is named BFG in the source material, etc.

View PostTerminX, on 03 May 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

No, just because it wasn't anything special. Looked like a pretty bad earlier render of the same model with an energy beam of fullbright red and white pixels coming out of it. A lot of these weapons seemed to start out as ideas to clone the same set of basic weapons in DOOM, as most shooters do. The Shrinker is named BFG in the source material, etc.

What are the other weapons that were cut from final Duke 3D or have undergone from some massive changes? Are the any more interesting tidbits and notes about the weapons?

What exactly is this anyway? Posted Image

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

http://fc00.devianta...nkd-d7gyvsm.jpg That's the picture I did from the Zero Hour image.

View PostPikaCommando, on 03 May 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

What are the other weapons that were cut from final Duke 3D or have undergone from some massive changes? Are the any more interesting tidbits and notes about the weapons?

What exactly is this anyway? Posted Image

looks like 'Super Nailgun' from Quake to me
Posted ImagePosted Image

• Honored Donor

"PIGWRN.VOC".. what the was that ever used for?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostLkMax, on 01 May 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Good thing it was scraped, players don't didn't need this kind of hand holding.

Hmm, maybe this could have been a difficulty-level-dependent thing? Like that feature in Heretic (or is it Hexen?) which only works on easiest difficulty that will automatically use a Quartz Flask, if one is found in the inventory, when the player is on low health?

View Postgerolf, on 03 May 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

"PIGWRN.VOC".. what the was that ever used for?

IIRC in beta v0.99, this sound can be heard when you use the phone in the restrooms in E1L2.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 03 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

• Honored Donor

What about all the cut sound effects? There's a lot of sounds defined in the CON files with no sound files in the GRP for them, and a few seem like they were for Duke himself.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

There were a few Duke one liners used in the 0.99 beta that didn't make it into the final release.

"Hm, already seen this one." - In reference to the movie playing in the theater.
"I don't think so!" - In reference to the "Duke Nukem Must Die" sign
"What? There's only one of you?" - Sighting the battlelord.

I think there may have been one or two more that were left over. Plus, who knows how many ideas were thrown around and never used.

• Honored Donor

I knew of those, those aren't what I meant, I mean things like

B3ATK01.VOC
   FAN.VOC
   HLMEXHAL.VOC
   HLMINHAL.VOC
   HOVER.VOC
   JACUZZI2.VOC
   JOKE.VOC
   TURRAT.VOC
   TURRDY.VOC
   TURRPN.VOC
   TURRRG.VOC
   TURRRM.VOC
   VPISS2.VOC
   YES.VOC
   KICKHEAD.VOC
   SLIMPN.VOC

These are all defined in USER.CON but do not appear in the GRP. In the 1.3d version or whatever it was called (the original release) there were also some defined midi tracks not in the game. itsgreen.mid could've been that unknown song found in TerminX's video.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 03 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 May 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

"What? There's only one of you?" - Sighting the battlelord.

Hmm, I don't think that's the case.

• Judge Mental

View PostFox, on 03 May 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Hmm, I don't think that's the case.

Explain.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

This is a little off topic, but Joe Siegler just posted this neat behind the scenes video for Rise of the Triad.

http://joe.siegler.n...ideo-capture-1/

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 03 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

He really is the world's best janitor.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 May 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Explain.

I think he means that the sound clip did indeed make it to the final version of the game, though it was never actually used.

User is offline   Fox 

No, I meant it doesn't play the sound in 0.99.

This post has been edited by Fox: 03 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostProtected by Viper, on 03 May 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postgerolf, on 03 May 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

itsgreen.mid could've been that unknown song found in TerminX's video.

I love ITSGREEN.MID. Too bad it's not finished. B)

• Honored Donor

Is it the song in that video?

• Judge Mental

View PostFox, on 03 May 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

No, I meant it doesn't play the sound in 0.99.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5IsLIDSdm7I

It was, however, intended for that purpose.

User is offline   Fox 

How do you know?

User is offline   Minigunner 

It probably would have been used in E2, as there are Mini-Battlelords encountered after you meet the Big-Daddy Battlelord.

User is offline   Rellik 

Sounds like a reference to the two Barons of Hell that you encounter at the end of Doom 1 mission 1.

• Judge Mental

View PostRellik, on 04 May 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Sounds like a reference to the two Barons of Hell that you encounter at the end of Doom 1 mission 1.

Yep! You got it.

User is offline   t800 

B) Wow, I still cant believe my eyes! After all those years, all those theories, now we are going to get our hands on almost everything (maybe some next time Prey and ROTT)! It is like yesterday only untangible vision, as I presume most of us already lost hope we could ever see from up close... and today real thing standing next to us.

I can still remember my old posts theorizing about these "prehistoric" alphas of Build games in thread about miscellaneous knowledge about reasons why 3D Realms didnt want to release any alpha material and hoped that maybe they will release it on 2016 at Duke3D 20th anniversary. Or how many of you feared that those materials were lost for good or even believed that they were never archived by 3D Realms in first place. Or how we used to meticiously "scan" almost every frame of those very few videos we got with glimpses of pre 0.99 material like that one from interview with John Romero or that one from british tv series about gaming; searching for even few milisecond lasting tiny pixel sized glimpses of something unknown and utterly fascinating. At this point I would like to thank Jimmy for his great collection of alpha/beta material he managed to gather for us in his Build archive gallery. And also to MYHOUSE.MAP mainly for lot of his amazing discoveries from 0.90 version of SW. And at last but not least HUGE kudos to amazing folks at Interceptor entertainment for proving wrong my doubts. B)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ehm, now where was I? Ah...
The most intriguing things I am loooking forwards most to from this all for me are:
- Post Lameduke builds with very first pigcops. It is amazing to be able to see them in real motion, not only from those scans of dusted old gaming mags. I was surprised from TerminXs video that it seems they came very soon after Lameduke. Their original design somehow appaers to me more appealing that their finalized counterparts (bullet proof vests, batons {maybe intended for their melee attacks?}).
- Most early so far known build of Shadow Warrior (from 1994 if I stand correct) situated in feudal Japan, which seems to me theme-wise as some kind asian Heretic/HeXen (meant metaphorically). It would be amazing to see it running in real time and be able to see other weapons and monsters as it always seemed to me like absolutely different game from what we got in end sans asian setting.
- Being able to see more shots/videos of this shotgun:
Posted Image
It seems to me like some kind of screenshot mockup (as it is the only shot of it we ever found), but I would love to be proven wrong and be able to see it in action, its pick-up sprites, etc. So far we know no other predeccesor to final shotgun, so I am greatly interested in evolution of its design.
- And lastly this NUKEMDAVEs post got my attention (I know bit offtopic, but sorry, have to):

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 21 April 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Since they can't share anything DNF related, here are a few screenshots I've found. I think I've posted some of these here on the forums somewhere before, but here they are again for anyone who missed them. I found these on Dirk Jones' Facebook page:
(Note from me: I hid them into
Spoiler
to not unnecessarily clutter this topic with already previously posted media)

This is for first time I have ever seen any media from Quake I engine prototype stage of DNF. Finally, but why there is so little known about it? Even lot of websites, articles neglect to even mention it and rather skip it completely and they pretend like very first build of DNF was already made on Quake II engine. But I never believed that. For me evolution of engine changes was always like: Quake I > Quake II > Unreal > Unreal Tournament > etc.

This post has been edited by t800: 05 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

That actually IS the final shotgun, just from a different angle. The source photo hasn't been touched up at all at that point (as a different video still ended up being used)... just some basic recoloring to differentiate between the hand and the weapon. A lot of the photo based stuff was made grayscale as a first step.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 03 May 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

And coke machine filler. Can't forget that.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options