Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Correct :) we are planning some really cool releases for you guys, with the re-launch of the new website.

We're planning monthly releases with interviews with 3DR devs, walkthroughs, etc. :)

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 20 April 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Correct :) we are planning some really cool releases for you guys, with the re-launch of the new website.

We're planning monthly releases with interviews with 3DR devs, walkthroughs, etc. :)

Few questions about the new 3DR website, will we have to make new forum accounts(cause I hate my Wesker500 name now) and will the original 3DR website & forum be archived?

User is offline   Lunick 

There probably is a way of migrating the forum but... I think something newer would be much better than what they have on there now.

View PostLunick, on 20 April 2014 - 12:57 AM, said:

There probably is a way of migrating the forum but... I think something newer would be much better than what they have on there now.

The Apogee forum should be kept at least. There's quite a bit of neat information in there that would be valuable for the future.

• Slipgate Studios

We'll keep the original forum, but it will get upgraded :)

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 20 April 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

We'll keep the original forum, but it will get upgraded :)

Sweet. The old forums look pretty old and crusty compared to other forums.

User is offline   TON 

Noob question:
Are there 3d Models in this picture?:
Posted Image

only the enforcer?

User is offline   Mike12 

View PostTON, on 20 April 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

Noob question:
Are there 3d Models in this picture?:

Well, I'm actually working on a weapon sprite for one of those SMGs (the big one, and probably the other one as well when I get the big one finished) so I had to take a pretty close look at it on some high-res versions of the pictures. I can definitely tell you that both the guns appear to be models/renders.

Speaking of which, I'm almost absolutely certain the wrist-gauntlets on the retail version of Shadow Warrior are models as well. I wonder if any of the stuff is still intact somewhere?

This post has been edited by Mike12: 20 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

• Slipgate Studios

The Duke 3D, Time to Kill, Zero Hour and Endangered Species Covers were all hand drawn and painted by Robert Grace.
A Book Illustrator, who's running an Art Gallery today. There are no 3D models in these illustrations.

All of the covers were directed by Robert Atkins, who was behind all marketing assets for Duke 3D.
He later co-founded Ritual.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 20 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

User is offline   Mike12 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 20 April 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

The Duke 3D, Time to Kill, Zero Hour and Endangered Species Covers were all hand drawn and painted by Robert Grace.
A Book Illustrator, who's running an Art Gallery today. There are no 3D models in these illustrations.

All of the covers were directed by Robert Atkins, who was behind all marketing assets for Duke 3D.

Hrm, I stand corrected then - maybe I confused it with some fanmade restoration.

User is offline   K100 

Well first, thank you Fred ! I can't wait to see what you have for us. You are doing a great job with the community !

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 20 April 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Could you release the Endangered Species cover art in HQ ? I really love all the Duke Nukem art by Robert Grace. Great artist ! (Oh, and if you can release other artworks done by him, it would be cool too. :) )

This post has been edited by K100: 20 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 April 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Duke Nukem 3D Builds - From every year and most months of development (And a lot of days)

Posted Image

Hey, that's a cool collection you have :) Damn, i wanna have those.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 02:21 PM
Reason for edit: revived images

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 20 April 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Hey, that's a cool collection you have :) Damn, i wanna have those.

Before there is any more confusion, the daily zip files in this image only contain maps.

View PostHendricks266, on 20 April 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Before there is any more confusion, the daily zip files in this image only contain maps.

Still a very nice find. They could be used to track nearly every detail that was changed in a map after a certain date.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Plus there's probably a lot of cut out levels, or levels that were completely different at one point.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

On a side note, I think we should be very thankful to the Apogee/3DR crew who meticulously archived, backed up and preserved all these files back then. Not every developer is this caring about their mid-development assets, regrettably.

Is it known who exactly did all the file archiving routines at Apogee/3D Realms back in the 90s?

User is offline   MetHy 

I'll do like everybody in this thread, that is to say thank everybody and their mother but not the people actually taking the time to go through the tons of files and craking the passwords (and all that for free) :)

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMetHy, on 20 April 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

thank everybody and their mother but not the people actually taking the time to go through the tons of files and craking the passwords (and all that for free) :)

Isn't getting to be the first to take a look at stuff never before seen by general public reward enough on its own?

User is offline   Eclipse 

This is one of the greatest threads ever to have existed, incredible stuff. Huge thanks to all involved.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostJames, on 19 April 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

What are you doing to the stuff? just checking to make sure there's no material that would bring any kind of legal action against Interceptor/3DR? I think 99% of people would like to have the beta's as intact as possible apart from that (I'm sure you agree of course, just expressing a bit of concern over it)

I don't know anyone I would trust behind this more than Hendricks and Terminx.

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Here's something confusing I just thought of: Which company owns the rights to Wolfenstein 3D Part II: Rise of the Triad? Bethesda for the Wolfenstein IP or Apogee for Rise of the Triad?!

Posted Image

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Oh wow... never saw that before. Cool. :)
I knew the public part of the story etc... but I don't ever remember seeing this image.
... and that is a really good question.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 20 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

You may be interested in the original design specifications Mr Black Cat (source of the image). It also contains some of the original sprite sheets.

User is offline   Blastfrog 

Frederik, you are the man! Also big thanks to TerminX for approving my account.

I'm quite interested in the Doom and Strife betas, and was curious what the current situation regarding them was. Have id Software or Zenimax been contacted yet? And if they've denied permission to release the Doom content, would screenshots be out of the question? I plan to start a petition if they've denied permission.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that Strife is an orphaned work, and I don't know how this would affect any kind of release of its betas. Both the developer and publisher went defunct shortly after Strife was released, and nobody seems to have a clear idea of who owns what. id/Zenimax probably own partial rights to the code, given its basis on the Doom engine.

Aside from all of that, thank you for sharing this with the public, it's awesome! Crazy how Duke 3D was almost an entirely different game early on.

User is offline   DaveyDoomsday 

• Interceptor PR

Introduced Fred to some folks at Bethesda this week. Here's to hoping they're cool with him releasing the Prey assets!

User is offline   MoonDog 

Fantastic work, guys! And it was only last year when I gave up on seeing anymore Apogee prototypes. I am now refreshing this thread constantly, waiting on more wonders. :)

Also, I know that you can't release any Blood material, so here's something new (and legal) for all the Blood fans here. It's the high resolution, pre-release box art for the Cryptic Passage add-on.
This comes with it's original E397 press release. Enjoy!

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Frenkel 

View PostHendricks266, on 19 April 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

The number of encrypted zips that have fallen to my efforts has increased to six; seven remain. I'm also working on getting some of the Apogee protos working but most of them refuse to run unless unknown requirements are met. I've tried manipulating the date already. I'm thinking environment variables, command-line parameters, or worse, but I'm having little luck disassembling them to find out anything.

I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has experience in this area.

I use TexView to look inside exe files. When I see a string that triggers my attention, I load the file in IDA 5.0 freeware (or an older version that can handle 32-bit DOS code better) and start disassembling.

I also use the DOSBox debugger. For example, when I used it to play Bubble Bobble, I saw the game tried to open the file beta.dat that didn't exist. So I created a file with that name and after a while I found out how to skip levels, get extra lives and other cheats.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMoonDog, on 20 April 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

It's the high resolution, pre-release box art for the Cryptic Passage add-on.

Why haven't I seen this one before? Huge thanks for posting this.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Nine zips down; four to go.

View PostFrenkel, on 20 April 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

I use TexView to look inside exe files. When I see a string that triggers my attention, I load the file in IDA 5.0 freeware (or an older version that can handle 32-bit DOS code better) and start disassembling.

I also use the DOSBox debugger. For example, when I used it to play Bubble Bobble, I saw the game tried to open the file beta.dat that didn't exist. So I created a file with that name and after a while I found out how to skip levels, get extra lives and other cheats.

Thanks so much for posting this.

User is offline   MoonDog 

View PostDaedolon, on 20 April 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Why haven't I seen this one before? Huge thanks for posting this.

It came from MBnet, a Finnish BBS which has been shut down since 2002. They had a vast number of rare previews from E3, ECTS and CES. Unfortunately, it's all gone now and I managed to get this file about two years ago when
the company still had an online archive of some old files from the BBS.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options