Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMoonDog, on 20 April 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Fantastic work, guys! And it was only last year when I gave up on seeing anymore Apogee prototypes. I am now refreshing this thread constantly, waiting on more wonders. :)

Also, I know that you can't release any Blood material, so here's something new (and legal) for all the Blood fans here. It's the high resolution, pre-release box art for the Cryptic Passage add-on.
This comes with it's original E397 press release. Enjoy!

^ Awesome, here it is in png for those browsing the golden thread.
Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Posted Image

Attack of Evil Porky Pig.

• el fundador

I was just thinking how funny it would be if we started making bullshit sprites in editart just to fuck with you guys. Then I saw this thing, and realized it wasn't necessary!

Posted Image

I think the first build we'll release is the oldest one, which is 8 or 9 months before LameDuke. That's what this is from. I figured I'd post it here now because you can't really see it in-game when messing with the prototype... the HUD sprites are very glitchy and often don't draw (this problem occurs in most of the prototypes up until near the shareware release, actually).

Random tidbit of information: the game once contained a command line parameter to disable players entering air ducts. Sounds like somebody was a sore loser in multiplayer!

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I KNEW LAMEDUKE WAS NOT THE FIRST BUILD. :)

This post has been edited by gerolf: 20 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Haha, what the hell is that thing?! :) I'm guessing there are a lot of different ideas in these old builds of the game. Can't wait to see what else you guys dig up! :)

This post has been edited by Malgon: 20 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostTerminX, on 20 April 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

I was just thinking how funny it would be if we started making bullshit sprites in editart just to fuck with you guys. Then I saw this thing, and realized it wasn't necessary!

Posted Image

I think the first build we'll release is the oldest one, which is 8 or 9 months before LameDuke. That's what this is from. I figured I'd post it here now because you can't really see it in-game when messing with the prototype... the HUD sprites are very glitchy and often don't draw (this problem occurs in most of the prototypes up until near the shareware release, actually).

Random tidbit of information: the game once contained a command line parameter to disable players entering air ducts. Sounds like somebody was a sore loser in multiplayer!

Pretty strange how the HUD sprites don't work in most of the prototypes, but work just fine in LD.

I'm really interested in seeing what's in the extremely early prototype. I'd like to see if the city levels are close to LD's Episode 2 just to see if LD E2 derives directly from earlier takes on a city, or it was an intermediate between the extremely early prototype and DN3D's city levels.

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 20 April 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

the game once contained a command line parameter to disable players entering air ducts. Sounds like somebody was a sore loser in multiplayer!

This makes me want to know.. These prototypes had multiplayer I'm sure.. Is this going to be tested to see if it still works, and if it works on Lameduke?

Also, was Lameduke released in its proper form, or did they cut things out of it or forget to put things into it?

This post has been edited by gerolf: 20 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

• el fundador

LameDuke was a proper build and NONE of the builds we have are as complete of a picture of development at any particular time as LameDuke was. We need to get some more data dumps before we can come up with any build that is not either shareware or a frankenbuild. I have a pretty good idea where such builds can be found and already put in a request for the drives in question to be dumped, but there's no telling whether the data will actually be there or the disk will be readable or anything else. There are probably a bunch more discs with this stuff burned onto them though, so there's definitely that going for us.

View PostTerminX, on 20 April 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

LameDuke was a proper build and NONE of the builds we have are as complete of a picture of development at any particular time as LameDuke was. We need to get some more data dumps before we can come up with any build that is not either shareware or a frankenbuild. I have a pretty good idea where such builds can be found and already put in a request for the drives in question to be dumped, but there's no telling whether the data will actually be there or the disk will be readable or anything else. There are probably a bunch more discs with this stuff burned onto them though, so there's definitely that going for us.

Hah, reminds of the huge STALKER prototype dump a few years back. Several of the builds have to have resources from earlier builds glued into them to work or you had to basically fight them with a knife to make them work properly.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostNukeaholic, on 20 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

You may be interested in the original design specifications Mr Black Cat (source of the image). It also contains some of the original sprite sheets.
Thanks for the link... no idea why I never noticed that or don't remember it. <?>

MrBlackCat

View Postgerolf, on 20 April 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

I KNEW LAMEDUKE WAS NOT THE FIRST BUILD. :)

LD is way too complete to be a first build. It's buggy and low-quality compared to DN3D, but quite a bit of work was put into it by the time it was compiled. Building the many levels and creating the decent-sized catalog of textures in LD takes quite a bit of time.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 20 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

• Honored Donor

3DR said it was the first when it was released lol

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

sorry for crawling into this one late.

someone has their hands on that "infamous" 0.60 version, or just some pre-0.99 assets?

• Honored Donor

Has hands on EVERYTHING.

User is offline   Forge 

that's pretty sweet.

is it allowed to be released to the public?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostForge, on 20 April 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

that's pretty sweet.

is it allowed to be released to the public?

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 20 April 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Correct :) we are planning some really cool releases for you guys, with the re-launch of the new website.

We're planning monthly releases with interviews with 3DR devs, walkthroughs, etc. :D

:)

User is offline   Forge 

pretty high on the wow scale

be fun digging around in that stuff

imagine the assets for retro mods and TCs

User is offline   Lunick 

More enemies for War of Attrition :)

• Honored Donor

More weapons too!

I've been checking out this topic and all the information in it...wow. :) It's great that all this material has been found...probably the best thread I've seen, very cool. :)

View PostForge, on 20 April 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

sorry for crawling into this one late.

someone has their hands on that "infamous" 0.60 version, or just some pre-0.99 assets?

A "0.60" version does not exist. It was an unofficial name for a LD remake/port mod that got canned. The name was spread as a "real" build by some idiot "beta hunters" that didn't bother to check their sources.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Beta is betta.

View PostJimmy, on 20 April 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

Beta is betta.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Truly, beta is betta.

• Honored Donor

That gun... It looks so awful.. I'm sure it's just a placeholder but... the Assault Commander.. EWWW.. he looks way cooler in the final version that's for sure. Though, he kind of reminds me of Dr. Proton, as it looks like he has that metal plate over one side of his face like Proton.. nevermind, it's some kind of alien head gear.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 20 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

View Postgerolf, on 20 April 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

That gun... It looks so awful.. I'm sure it's just a placeholder but... the Assault Commander.. EWWW.. he looks way cooler in the final version that's for sure. Though, he kind of reminds me of Dr. Proton, as it looks like he has that metal plate over one side of his face like Proton.. nevermind, it's some kind of alien head gear.

To me it looks like he is sort of based off of the alien mutation/experimentation direction they had going for the Pig Cops

User is offline   Lunick 

If you ask me, that Assault Commander looks like the equivalent of Doom's Arachnotron.
Posted Image

That Fat Commander reminds me of the guy in total recall;
https://www.youtube....h?v=jlkKYpnFu5o

They always kinda did, but the one TX posted does even more so.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 21 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

Are there any design doc/bible for Duke Nukem 3D/lameduke? Also more pre-release Blood materials would be nice, since it is the most unknown out of all the 4 games.

Also a fun question so we won't die of excitement: If suddenly Fred is forced to release either one of these and have us choose between all the DN3D/Blood/SW/Prey beta builds and all the previous builds of Duke Nukem Forever, which would you peeps choose?

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

View PostPikaCommando, on 21 April 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

Also a fun question so we won't die of excitement: If suddenly Fred is forced to release either one of these and have us choose between all the DN3D/Blood/SW/Prey beta builds and all the previous builds of Duke Nukem Forever, which would you peeps choose?

Obviously Duke Nukem Forever.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options