Duke4.net Forums: Looped sounds - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looped sounds

User is offline   fgsfds 

Is it possible to fix interruptions in looped sounds? Like here, in working jetpack sound: http://kiwi6.com/file/6ci3j5ol2b

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm glad you're posting in the right forum, but perhaps don't be quite so trigger-happy with the "start new topic" button. The two questions/reports you've started topics for in the past 20 minutes are better suited to general purpose pre-existing threads, since it's either "yes we can fix it" or "no we can't" (or even "yes but we don't have the time to fix it") and doesn't really require enough discussion to warrant threads.

And even if they did, two threads in 20 minutes is a bit much. Just use the mapster32 problems and bugs thread. DeeperThought, or Trooper Dan as he's now called posts there all the time for non-mapping/mapster related bugs Posted Image
Edit: I'll also add the options "that's not a bug" and "yes that's a bug but it's been there since the original game and some maps might depend on it so we can't change it".

This post has been edited by Micky C: 14 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

I would like to post it in general bugs thread, but I think there is no thread for game bugs, only for mapster's and hrp's issues.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah that is kind of annoying... what makes it worse is that everybody cross-posts their problems in the wrong thread. That other glitch you mentioned might have been able to go in the "polymer and eduke32 discussion" thread but this one's a lot more specific. Well, I hope your problems get solved, I can't help as I'm only a lowly mapper Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I would like to know the answer to this too. I've added some new looped sounds to my maps and have been frustrated to hear a very audible "POP!" at the loop point of every sound.

Come to think of it, the sound system of Duke Nukem 3D as a whole could use revamping. We were just having a discussion earlier of how to make looping music tracks.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostAchenar, on 14 March 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

I would like to know the answer to this too. I've added some new looped sounds to my maps and have been frustrated to hear a very audible "POP!" at the loop point of every sound.

Come to think of it, the sound system of Duke Nukem 3D as a whole could use revamping. We were just having a discussion earlier of how to make looping music tracks.

There's one issue with MUSICANDSFX sprites -- reading the code, it seems that they don't use the looping system provided by the sound engine, but rather restart them on their own. What you describe could have another cause though. Have you checked that the beginning and end samples "merge" seamlessly? If the difference between them is big, you'll essentially get a jump/spike in the waveform, which translates to an "all frequencies" spectrum.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHelixhorned, on 14 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

There's one issue with MUSICANDSFX sprites -- reading the code, it seems that they don't use the looping system provided by the sound engine, but rather restart them on their own. What you describe could have another cause though. Have you checked that the beginning and end samples "merge" seamlessly? If the difference between them is big, you'll essentially get a jump/spike in the waveform, which translates to an "all frequencies" spectrum.

Yes, I do check. That's exactly why I notice it; when I play the files in Goldwave they loop seamlessly, but they don't loop within the game.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postnogames, on 14 March 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Is it possible to fix interruptions in looped sounds? Like here, in working jetpack sound: http://kiwi6.com/file/6ci3j5ol2b

Definitely. Just use a program like
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Audacity
or
http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/ Magix Music Maker
both programs give you tools to make seamless loops.

As for the pop described by Achenar - file please. I made ten loops over the weekend, no pops. I want to know what the issue is so I don't have the same problem. I have lot of loops to do yet.

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHank, on 14 March 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Definitely. Just use a program like
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Audacity
or
http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/ Magix Music Maker
both programs give you tools to make seamless loops.

As for the pop described by Achenar - file please. I made ten loops over the weekend, no pops. I want to know what the issue is so I don't have the same problem. I have lot of loops to do yet.

It's attached, both in .WAV and .VOC format. Could be Goldwave that's causing the problem.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAchenar, on 14 March 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

It's attached, both in .WAV and .VOC format. Could be Goldwave that's causing the problem.

Hmm, I don't know.
here is as LeoD wrote below. It works on my comp.

done with my trusted Audacity - see if this works on your comp.

I have to go, I will test your files tomorrow further, and will get back to you.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostAchenar, on 14 March 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Loops fine in WinAmp, foobar2000, and GoldWave, which is a fine tool for creating spikeless loops. Could it be that your snippet is too short? Concatenate your waveform a couple of times and see what happens ingame.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLeoD, on 14 March 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Could it be that your snippet is too short? Concatenate your waveform a couple of times and see what happens ingame.

I made a longer version from Achenar's file, (see my post above) seems to fix it, at least on my comp. Posted Image Thank for the tip!!! Posted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postnogames, on 14 March 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Yeah, just use a sound editor and it it out.
I am not sure what else you could be asking here.
EDIT: Posted this after I only saw Mickys posts.

This post has been edited by Cody: 14 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

It's not a problem with sound file. Just compare jepack sound looped in audacity and recorded directly in game. You can see these interruptions on in-game recording. So I think it's only engine problem.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Untitled-1.png

This post has been edited by nogames: 15 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

Achenar, what's the definesound command you're using? The waveform looks fine in a sound editor.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHelixhorned, on 15 March 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Achenar, what's the definesound command you're using? The waveform looks fine in a sound editor.

Just what one would expect for an ambient sound:

definesound SERVER_ROOM server.voc 0 0 0 2 0

Didn't add any priority flags, pitch variation, or volume changes. However, the sound is relatively short - less than one second in length, I think - so I might try concatenating it as someone suggested once I have an opportunity.

• EDuke32 Developer

I'm hearing gaps but no pops. Try changing sound settings like the sample rate maybe?

• Glory To Motherland!

Different sample rates was one of the first things I tried when I found the problem, prior to making my post on this thread.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I had this issue with a sound that was supposed to loop, and I ended up making the sound very long with copy-pasted built-in loops. Not really a fix, but you hear the problem a lot less often.

User is offline   Hank 

@ Achenar and Helixhorned - If you record a short WAVE loop in 8bit, you'll get a pop. If you record the WAVE sound in 16bit you get a softer buub; including the first sound sample Achenar posted. Listen to in basic Duke 3D game mode.
I did as LeoD (Trooper Dan) wrote, and simply concatenate the sound from Achenar long enough until the pop disappears.

@ nogames - My English sucks - to make loops in Audacity go here http://wiki.audacity...rg/wiki/Looping
In your case, you need to listen to the sound and methodically cut and paste and edit, the sound file until the loop sounds flawless. The basic task is very simple, it takes patience. Try it. If you are stuck, I go here for advice.
http://forum.audacityteam.org/
All the best. :)
[added]

I tried various things with the Jet thing sound, even in game, playing GOD, is gives this annoying pause.
How about starting with original sounds?
http://www.findsounds.com/
Just use Wind+Pitch+whatever and make your own?
Again all the best.
I'm gone.

This post has been edited by Hank: 15 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Oh, i forgot that i could just copy and paste the whole sound to hear if it loops correctly, i've been using winamp to listen to the looped sound to see if it loops perfectly, thanks hank :)

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostHank, on 15 March 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

@ nogames - My English sucks - to make loops in Audacity go here http://wiki.audacity...rg/wiki/Looping
In your case, you need to listen to the sound and methodically cut and paste and edit, the sound file until the loop sounds flawless. The basic task is very simple, it takes patience. Try it. If you are stuck, I go here for advice.

As I said before http://forums.duke4....post__p__123325
this file loops perfectly in audacity. It's not a file but engine problem.

• EDuke32 Developer

Set bit 1 too, so that it reads

definesound SERVER_ROOM server.voc 0 0 0 3 0

I don't know why more of the original sounds have it this way. Also see Mapster32's sound index (F2) for comparison, you can also sort by the flags there.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHelixhorned, on 16 March 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Set bit 1 too, so that it reads

definesound SERVER_ROOM server.voc 0 0 0 3 0

I don't know why more of the original sounds have it this way. Also see Mapster32's sound index (F2) for comparison, you can also sort by the flags there.

From my previous experience, I've had issues with severe distortion and mangling of the sounds when I add bit 1. I haven't tried it with this particular file, but I will. Makes sense, I suppose.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postnogames, on 15 March 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

As I said before http://forums.duke4....post__p__123325
this file loops perfectly in audacity. It's not a file but engine problem.

I don't think it is a bug. That's why I wrote I'm gone.
Audacity uses LAME as the sound engine. Just because it sounds good with it, does not mean it will sound good in the Eduke32 sound engine, or other any other given sound game engines, for that matter.

The file above is a longer loop with some small modification, and re-sampled in Magix. It does work. So from the top, editing takes patience. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHank, on 16 March 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Audacity uses LAME as the sound engine. Just because it sounds good with it, does not mean it will sound good in the Eduke32 sound engine, or other any other given sound game engines, for that matter.

LAME is an MP3 encoder. If it sounds right in Audacity, GoldWave, etc., it should be able to work elsewhere.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHendricks266, on 16 March 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

LAME is an MP3 encoder. If it sounds right in Audacity, GoldWave, etc., it should be able to work elsewhere.

OK, this is getting interesting. Posted Image
When I play in the GOD mode, and switch on the Jet Pack, I hear a gab. If I take that sound file, jetpaki.voc, from the Duke Group File, and place it in a map (via the Music effector) and set it to loop, I hear the gab. If I take the sound .voc and play it in Audacity, it gives a perfect loop sound. Helixhorned wrote to set it the definesound to 3 instead of 2. It works, but other loop sounds work very well with 2 only. So why is this sound file so 'difficult'?

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

Note that adding bit 1 is really the only correct way of having looping sounds, since this is what tells the sound engine to restart playing the sound after reaching the end instead of finishing it and having the MUSICANDSFX code (or whatever else) restart it again, which will necessarily lead to a (potentially inaudible?) gap. As far as the jetpack is concerned, it's pretty much directly coded to restart the sound:

if (p->jetpack_on < 11)
        {
            p->jetpack_on++;
            p->pos.z -= (p->jetpack_on<<7); //Goin up
        }
        else if (p->jetpack_on == 11 && !A_CheckSoundPlaying(p->i,DUKE_JETPACK_IDLE))
            A_PlaySound(DUKE_JETPACK_IDLE,p->i);

My conjecture about why it was done this way instead of proper looping is that you would have to take care about stopping the sound in different places then (like when disabling the jetpack or dying), so it was decided to make this more robust against forgetting it somewhere at the expense of some glitchiness.

User is offline   Hank 

^ wiki is updated. Thanks for your explanation!Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options