Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Kind of makes you wish they had released the original models they used for the pre-rendered sprites, those would have been nice to have around. However its impressive to see how people made there own versions as close as possible to the originals. Much like the monsters in hrp set.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Great model Commando Nukem!!!

User is offline   Hool 

Posted Image

Another map I've been working on in TrenchBroom that's based off a certain screenshot for Jack Hammer. I've added in a few things such as the arcade machine and another room on the right. Just working on it makes me realize just how big this building actually is.

User is offline   Mark 

He said " titular" ;)

User is offline   Hool 

View PostMark., on 01 December 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

He said " titular" ;)

Posted Image

Anyway, here is another screenshot of something I am working on right now. It's completely untextured but I'll get around to that. If anybody is wondering what this whole "Jack Hammer" thing is about then I'll make a thread soon detailing a bunch of information and stick up a group of screenshots.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 02 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 02 December 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

It looks like this first Area51-shot of DNF.

But I don´t get why something that isn´t Duke3D/EDuke32 related has to be posted here.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 02 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Hool 

View Postblizzart, on 02 December 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

It looks like this first Area51-shot of DNF.

But I don't get why something that isnt Duke3D/EDuke32 related has to be posted here.

Apologies, I've made a new thread for this in the "General Gaming" section.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

WheatleyNukem aka TheGFreeman gets confused sometimes as video shows. ;)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 02 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Project X is proceeding forward.

One of the biggest difficulties has been working out the way to most effectively put scenes together. Should I try to script everything and sync it up? Well this would be a bit difficult to do without immensely more powerful hardware. I'd need a cutting edge machine to render at the frame-rates I want. While my machine is nothing to cry about, and Eduke32 always seems to be getting better, and improving performance wise, keeping a consistant frame-rate for the kinds of scenes I want to pull of just can't be done without SOME tricks.)

Here's one of the tricks, an experiment with a green screen.

Attached Image: Million Dollar Blur.jpeg.jpg

It's a little rough, but what I've learned is I can use the whole "greenscreen set" concept used by many Hollywood productions to actually generate a matte that retains the shadow realistically. I screwed up the angle a little bit, but with more fine tuning it can work. This will allow me to stage more complicated action sequences and time everything properly without the need to do a lot of customized coding and scripting.

Also on display is a bit of fake depth of field which I want to utilize in places to give the Project a bit more cinematic quality.

Here's the original green screen of Duke:

Attached Image: duke0009.jpg

If there is someway to adjust the color of strength of shadows casted by lights, i'd really like to know, because I need to make them darker so that they can be better saved from the green screens.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 04 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I dunno what this project is all about but I love this model and would love to see a whole HRP in this style. This style would fit Duke3D perfectly.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You realize that is the Duke Manhattan Project model (or at most a variation of it) right?

User is offline   blizzart 

Has anyone seen this before?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/blacklist

I´ve just srumbled upon it on MODDB and it looks really good, but I´ve never heard of it before.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Looks pretty cool indeed. For some reason, that last shot reminds me of the buildings in this one. I'm wondering whether the author has EDuke32 in mind or that's on top of vanilla Duke3D...

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Last Update 5 months ago...

Judging from the shots and a comment he is using eduke32, if he is even working on it still.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

D'oh, right! The stats on the bottom left give it away. I was merely a bit confused as to why anyone would work "silently" at some EDuke32 mod without announcing it here.
edit: ah, but then... the author's name sounds familiar... curious to hear about that mod. ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postblizzart, on 04 December 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Has anyone seen this before?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/blacklist

I´ve just srumbled upon it on MODDB and it looks really good, but I´ve never heard of it before.

The author posted on the previous page of this topic:

http://forums.duke4....post__p__175431

User is offline   Gambini 

He´s not going silent. He just doesn´t talk a lot of english. He´s a regular on Duke España and shows some of his work from time to time there.

User is offline   ck3D 

stuff, i guess...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0004.png
  • Attached Image: capt0003.png

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Postck3D, on 04 December 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

stuff, i guess...

I like the second screenshot Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I like the first one more. More original artistic direction.

User is offline   ck3D 

they are from two different maps, the first map (black and white with palette 7) is like 15% complete, the second map is along the lines of 85% / 90% complete and i have only been working on it for like three days. it seems like speed maps like this make for a much better and convenient format for me to make. spending a minimum of six months (to several years) creating a grand-looking, immersive environment still sounds neat, but i don't have enough time and patience for it anymore as i keep getting older and busier. it's more motivating to be able to find one or two hours here and there to launch mapster and make quick stuff you know is actually going somewhere because of the shorter perspective, than to just contribute little bits to a more ambitious project that might or might not see the light of the day until ten years from now... not to mention that the community has dwindled so much, not many people are giving feedback to user maps anymore. knowing that your stuff is destined to be 'popular' for two or three days (one week tops if it's a mod) until it's been fully consumed and the masses move on to something else (seeing as there is so much novelty available out there nowadays, at the expense of single user maps which i feel like barely even get played) doesn't help you want to push the limits either.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Coding like mad.

Did a very cool monster.
Also a nice puzzle, not too hard but extremely hard to make it in con coding.

User is offline   Mark 

I was trying out various combinations of models in my program this morning. Yes I was bored. Pig Cop in an Assault Commander's vehicle.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: PIGCOMMANDER.jpg

User is offline   Zaxtor 

That cool monster (rather a mini boss)
I made it have an epic and unusual death when it dies instead of just exploding to pieces.
Was a lot of con adding to it but worked soo well.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Commando Nukem - Is that a game or an animation project? If it's animation, you might want to check your soft for a 'transparent film' option (that's what it's called in Blender). It renders your model, but puts an alpha onto your backdrop. It's cool as you can use HDRI's for rendering and they 'disappear' from the final render so that you can dub your own backdrops in later.

Also for rendering, you can use OpenGL to render your models. For models like that, you don't need raytracing and it will be pretty much realtime for rendering. This could save you a bunch of time and ball ache if your machine is getting a bit grey around the chops. Maya's Viewport 2.0 has some excellent OpenGL rendering options and Blender's aren't too bad. I think you have to get a special plug-in for Max, but I know there is a free version of it floating around.

User is offline   neoacix 

Posted Image

Building deep, dark tunnels and rooms in the underground of my base map....

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That's a nice scene, and I see you've got a great framerate there. Hopefully it means you've laid out the map so not many large areas with lots of lights are visible at the same time, as opposed to just having a powerful computer (but probably both). The only thing I would suggest is adding a small green point light over the "alpha" sign, and giving it some transparency so that on less powerful computers that light will be removed to ensure a decent framerate.

User is offline   Scott_AW 

http://youtu.be/UlEwwjsrrfE

Added light effects and signs. Much sprites, many masks. 8bit splendor.

This post has been edited by Scott_AW: 09 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow wowie!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I got a question, and I hope someone knows what i'm trying to say, because my attempts to articulate what i'm looking for to the Google God have failed me.

Is there a program out there that can take in an image that is not an INDEXED PALETTE, but an actual series of colors arranged in an order on the image, and output it to a JASC .PAL file with the colors ordered as they are seen?

I'm trying to make a new palette for quake, which is just like Duke3D or Shadow Warrior, it takes 256 colors, with the last color being transparent. It takes .lmps, and the only way I know to successfully get a lmp is to use a tool like FIMG or ADQUEDIT or QME to import a Jasc .pal/indexed pcx, and export a .lmp.

Here's an example. This is the Duke 3D Palette on a PNG image. 16 x 16:
Attached Image: duke3dpal.png

It is also, a true color image. So, without ruining the colors by dropping it down to 256 and getting the wrong color order in the palette index, is there a way to get this to convert this image into a .PAL that I could then load back into PSP? (This is just an example i'm using. I don't want to give out my crappy palette. I already have the Duke3D palette for use too. What it comes down to is, is there a way besides manually reordering the index to convert an image like this into an indexed Jasc .pal file?

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options