Duke4.net Forums: Compiling and Optimizing for older Linux machines - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compiling and Optimizing for older Linux machines  "Tricks and techniques to optimize builds on older potatoes"

User is offline   retanicus 

Hello!

I am new to the forum, but I have a software engineering background and I've been trying to build eduke32 on various platforms.
I was wondering if there is any way that the eduke32 source can be compiled and be optimized to run on older machines.
The target machine is a Pentium 4 (first generation), with an OpenGL 1.1 graphics card. It's a personal challenge for me to get it to run on older hardware; there's no real reason behind it other than really trying to cram it in to work.

I was able to get eduke32 to compile and run but it runs like hot garbage. I'm rather surprised by the lack of performance. I'm thinking it's the use of SDL that's taking a hit on the CPU.

Anyway, any ideas, tips or tricks to make a snappier make on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 - 18.04) would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by retanicus: 27 August 2019 - 03:20 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Try running the classic/software renderer at a lower resolution.

User is offline   retanicus 

View PostPhredreeke, on 27 August 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

Try running the classic/software renderer at a lower resolution.

I've done this. At 640x480. I tried running with Ion Fury and oh boy it ran awful. On a good run it was 20fps. On a bad run, it was about 1fps.

This post has been edited by retanicus: 27 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Oh you didn't say you were trying to run Ion Fury.

Yeah, sorry but I don't think you'll have much luck. There's just too much going around at the same time relative to the classic Build engine games.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Isn’t there some command line argument that attempts to optimise a program for the specific machine it’s being compiled on, at the expense of running or running quickly on other machines? Although, I think that tends to benefit newer computers from not having to support old features, not the other way around.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options