Duke4.net Forums: Cradle to Grave - Continued - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cradle to Grave - Continued  "Discussing the BLOOD-themed mod for eDuke32"

User is offline   Dimebog 

Due to the recent community exodus from 3DR, further discussion and updates regarding the C2G mod will be found here.

To open up with some positive news, check out this blog entry. It's almost impossible to make things out in that tiny video, so just grab a better quality one over here (9.2 Mb).

Let the festival of Blood continue!

This post has been edited by Dimebog: 14 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Sweet, I was really hoping a thread for this would pop up here. Video is awesome! I think it's just fantastic that even other Build games can live on through EDuke32, not just Duke!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I haven't played Blood enough to judge how well you are emulating the game, but it looks great!

And feel free to ask about any CON questions you may have. There are several CON experts on this forum now, so the chances of getting a good and timely answer are pretty high.

• el fundador

I don't exactly know Blood intimately either, but I've played it enough to say the stuff shown in the video is pretty much spot on.

Thank you for the welcome guys, good to be here.

This post has been edited by Dimebog: 14 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

Looking good! Are the cultists capable of throwing dynamite already? One of them in the movie displays the proper frames but I think he throws nothing.

it's looking good.
That could almost pass for blood, it's coming along really nicely, i was hoping to see it continue over here.
In the future maybe a polymer version could be done of this.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

First you'd need an Blood HRP since I don't believe there's voxel support in Polymer.

User is offline   XThX2 

Looks awesome! I personally think the tommy gun is firing faster here than in Blood.

View PostSpiker, on May 15 2009, 10:24 AM, said:

Looking good! Are the cultists capable of throwing dynamite already? One of them in the movie displays the proper frames but I think he throws nothing.

They throw TNT but I disabled it for the video. They are supposed to only use TNT when at a certain distance from the player they are targeting, but that's not implemented so it's a bit annoying when they try tossing a TNT from point blank range.

View PostHigh Treason, on May 15 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

it's looking good.
That could almost pass for blood, it's coming along really nicely, i was hoping to see it continue over here.
In the future maybe a polymer version could be done of this.

Thanks. There's plenty wrong with the Tommy gun yet. We are actually focusing on implementing the most difficult things to do first, and then we will go over simpler things and tweaking.

View PostMblackwell, on May 15 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

First you'd need an Blood HRP since I don't believe there's voxel support in Polymer.

That's unfortunate. I remember reading about some Duke or SW port out there which actually converts the voxel models to 3D models at game-time, smoothing out the surfaces and generating a contemporary skin. Maybe such a thing could be made into a stand-alone tool or implemented to eDuke32. Basically, something that converts voxels to MD2/MD3 would be a relatively good solution (although, not anything that is critical to Duke3D's well being, so chances of something like that being done are pretty slim).

Other than that, the only incentive to use the new polymer rendering is for the RoR. I've recently been told that IceColdDuke is almost done fixing (or making a brand new implementation of) RoR in eDuke32, so I'm optimistic for now. I just hope we don't lose track of that guy in this whole mess. He doesn't seem to have moved here yet.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDimebog, on May 15 2009, 08:00 AM, said:

They throw TNT but I disabled it for the video. They are supposed to only use TNT when at a certain distance from the player they are targeting, but that's not implemented so it's a bit annoying when they try tossing a TNT from point blank range.

That sounds like something you could fix in about 2 seconds by adding a ifpdistg check.

View PostDimebog, on May 15 2009, 08:00 AM, said:

Thanks. There's plenty wrong with the Tommy gun yet. We are actually focusing on implementing the most difficult things to do first, and then we will go over simpler things and tweaking.

Are you using the code I posted a while back for making the alt-fire on that gun? I can find it and send it if you don't have it.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 15 2009, 05:06 PM, said:

That sounds like something you could fix in about 2 seconds by adding a ifpdistg check.

Indeed. I just stopped working on the AI and started focusing on much more time consuming things, because Daedolon is going to rework that code anyway.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 15 2009, 05:06 PM, said:

Are you using the code I posted a while back for making the alt-fire on that gun? I can find it and send it if you don't have it.

Actually no, and I was going to look into it. I would appreciate if you could send it to me if you still have it around.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDimebog, on May 15 2009, 08:13 AM, said:

Actually no, and I was going to look into it. I would appreciate if you could send it to me if you still have it around.

If you will send me the package, then I can put the code in myself and save you some work. It would need to be tweaked and localized anyway.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 15 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

If you will send me the package, then I can put the code in myself and save you some work. It would need to be tweaked and localized anyway.

Thanks, I'll gather everything and clean it up a bit tomorrow evening when Daedolon comes home from a vacation - we each work on a separate CON file at a time to make it easier to update without having to toss the same file back and forth, and the latest weapons.con file is currently in his possession (with the TNT code and some fixes and tweaks). But if you only need the Tommy gun to be there, I can send it right away.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDimebog, on May 15 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

Thanks, I'll gather everything and clean it up a bit tomorrow evening when Daedolon comes home from a vacation - we each work on a separate CON file at a time to make it easier to update without having to toss the same file back and forth, and the latest weapons.con file is currently in his possession (with the TNT code and some fixes and tweaks). But if you only need the Tommy gun to be there, I can send it right away.

I need the Tommy gun art, any other related art (shell casings, etc), and the CON files that contain the variable declarations, the player actor, EVENT_GETSHOTRANGE, EVENT_FIRE, EVENT_DISPLAYWEAPON, and whatever event is used to trigger alt-fire.

I sent you a PM.

You can take your time, there is no urgency here. I will have a couple of days break myself before I start working on making the Flaregun function properly, and start making various gibs for enemies and destructables. After that we just need to finish the remaining weapons and add more monsters which should be easy now that the basics are set up (like the template for sounds and physics).

Dimebog, video looks fantastic. :P The thought of getting to play Blood using full mouse look at a decent resolution... ahhh.... great work to you and the rest of the team.

This post has been edited by Damien_Azreal: 15 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

User is offline   Moggimus 

The video looked good. Will we see a test release at some point perhaps?

View PostDamien_Azreal, on May 15 2009, 11:11 PM, said:

The thought of getting to play Blood using full mouse look at a decent resolution... ahhh....

Yesssssssss.... It feels perfect and looks crisp even at very high resolutions (or is that a paradox)?

View Postmoggimus, on May 16 2009, 12:33 AM, said:

The video looked good. Will we see a test release at some point perhaps?

Thank you. Yes, definitely.

Ah.. I hope this will be as fun on Extra Crispy as the original is. Looks pretty interesting from the video I saw. :3

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDimebog, on May 15 2009, 12:49 PM, said:

I sent you a PM.

You can take your time, there is no urgency here. I will have a couple of days break myself before I start working on making the Flaregun function properly, and start making various gibs for enemies and destructables. After that we just need to finish the remaining weapons and add more monsters which should be easy now that the basics are set up (like the template for sounds and physics).

I'll also check to see whether you have the pitchfork working correctly. That was the other thing I did for the other Blood TC...

EDIT:
Well you have part of my pitchfork code, but then you changed part of it so instead of a separate decal for each point in the fork, you have one big decal that has all four in a row. This is simpler than what I had done and avoids a glitch with my methoid, but now you have the glitch of decals showing up in mid-air (if you stab near the edge of a wall). It's a trade-off, I guess, but I think it would have been better to fix the remainnig glitch in my method to make it perfect.

Unfortunately, I can't get mouse look to work in this TC. It's bizarre, because it works fine with every other EDuke32 mod. I made sure that mouse look was enabled and checked the mouse settings, but no luck. I'm not going to proceed with the Tommy gun until that is sorted out.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 16 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've been following this mod for a while. I'm adamantly waiting on its release!

The video looks good, and I dont have much criticism to give since it's already been said.

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but it kind of bothers me that this TC has the same name as that shitty Jet Li movie: http://cradle2thegrave.warnerbros.com/

You may think it's a small thing, but when someone googles for your project, it helps to have a unique name so that it's the first thing that comes up. Also, "Blood" is nowhere in the title, which adds to the obscurity. It's not too late to change it.

Just some friendly advice.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 16 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

Well you have part of my pitchfork code, but then you changed part of it so instead of a separate decal for each point in the fork,

Nay, the Pitchfork has not been touched since before we announced the project. The code you may be referring to is the one that corrects the height of hitscan projectiles (since the camera is raised by 4000), but that code applies to all three hitscan weapons (the EVENT_GETSHOTRANGE stuff in player.con)

View PostDeeperThought, on May 16 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I can't get mouse look to work in this TC.

That's pretty weird. I gave the mod to two other people and they had no problems with it (but they used my config file). You may be using a different version of eDuke32.exe; I noticed that the latest few versions have changed the way config files are handled (it uses a separate file for key bindings or something like that).

View PostDeeperThought, on May 16 2009, 07:19 PM, said:

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but it kind of bothers me that this TC has the same name as that shitty Jet Li movie: http://cradle2thegrave.warnerbros.com/

You may think it's a small thing, but when someone googles for your project, it helps to have a unique name so that it's the first thing that comes up. Also, "Blood" is nowhere in the title, which adds to the obscurity. It's not too late to change it.

I guess you are right and I guess it's indeed not too late to change it. I'll see if we can come up with something worthy.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDeeperThought, on May 16 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

Just some friendly advice.

Cradle to Grave is an old expression, if you didn't know. Im assuming these guys got the name from the very first level of Blood, though, which is also called Cradle to Grave, I found that odd myself. A new name would be cool, and creating something that sounds Bloody wont be too hard.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 16 2009, 09:20 PM, said:

creating something that sounds Bloody wont be too hard.

It might just be harder than you think!

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDimebog, on May 16 2009, 10:57 AM, said:

That's pretty weird. I gave the mod to two other people and they had no problems with it (but they used my config file). You may be using a different version of eDuke32.exe; I noticed that the latest few versions have changed the way config files are handled (it uses a separate file for key bindings or something like that).

Yes, it is weird. Believe me, I had already done some basic troubleshooting before I posted. First it happened with the included .exe, then it continued happening with the latest .exe and fresh cfg files. The mouse is enumerated as an input device in the log, but it doesn't work at all. It doesn't even work in the main menu before the game starts.

EDIT: Fixed. One of the old cfg files had been hanging around even after I thought I had replaced them, so I had failed to use fresh cfg files as I had thought.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 16 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

View PostDeeperThought, on May 16 2009, 10:00 PM, said:

EDIT: Fixed. One of the old cfg files had been hanging around even after I thought I had replaced them, so I had failed to use fresh cfg files as I had thought.

A boulder just dropped from my heart.

User is offline   btGrave 

Dimebog, video looks good and very close to Blood. Well, in that video there are some things: cultists don't throw dynamite (i've already read about it), tommy-gun fires bullets I think a bit too fast, and some odd thing about player's height. The for the project I can suggest "Blood: Reviving the corpse/dead".

• el fundador

View PostbtGrave, on May 17 2009, 01:19 AM, said:

The for the project I can suggest "Blood: Reviving the corpse/dead".

And this, folks, is why it's never a good idea to suggest project names in something other than your native language. :P

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options