Duke4.net Forums: Questions about using original DOS disc to install on Win 7 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about using original DOS disc to install on Win 7  "Am wondering about this"

Okay, so, having been led here by several different links, I have a question. I have the original Duke Nukem Plutonium Pack disc (As well as the original Duke Nukem 3D install disc) and am running on Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I also have my laptop with Win 7 Pro 32 bit with the Windows XP Virtual Mode downloaded. So:
1) How can I get the game running on one of these? (Probably a dumb question, but I cannot seem to find any info on the FAQ. Do I just install the game as normal and then the modding patch?
2) Which would be better to install it on? The desktop is a bit older, but the laptop has XP Virtualization mode.
3) Would building a pure XP install be better (My desktop was XP before I installed Win 7 on it.)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Let me introduce you to eduke32, the latest and greatest source port for Duke Nukem 3D to modern platforms such as windows, mac OSX and linux. It has unbelievable graphics enhancements, countless bug fixes, and other modern features. Here's the homepage: http://eduke32.com/ and although you can get it from that site, you'll be guaranteed to have the cutting edge latest version from here: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/ (eduke32 is updated frequently).

Also check out the official High Resolution Pack, which replaces all of Duke's classic textures with hi res, modern artwork, and replaces many of the flat, pixelated 2D sprites with 3D models. You can get it here: http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php although actually I think even that is getting old now. If you're truely passionate about Duke and always want to have the latest graphics, install this program which will constantly update your HRP to keep it up to scratch: http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2251

Also you might want to use DeeperThought's DukePlus mod, which also has some con-related bug fixes, and adds many modern gameplay features and graphics enhancements which weren't in the original game. http://deeperthought.dukertcm.com/dp/

So to actually answer your questions:
1) To get the game running, all you need is eduke32.exe, and the DUKE3D.GRP from your Duke Nukem 3D disk in the same folder, then double click on eduke32.
2) I'd suggest running it on the desktop, since if you want the latest graphics, the desktop is more likely to have a dedicated graphics card.
3) XP, Vista, 7, it makes no difference, eduke32 is awesome and works on everything. If you can't get it to work, or are interested in using the included polymer renderer post back in this thread and we'll help you :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I can't resist to add the hardcore answer:
DOSBox: http://www.dosbox.com/ will let you install and play the original game on almost any operating system. But of course you will miss the HRP, Polymer and many great user maps which are beyond the old executable's limits. So there is no real reason not to follow Micky's proposal. Later on you should check out DukePlus http://fissile.duke4.net/ which is a great gameplay enhancement mod.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 13 September 2010 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for the quick response, guys. I think I can take it from here.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

IMO, it was a bad move for you to get v1.3D and the PPack, since the PPack installer is riddled with problems. You probably paid more for it than the gog.com $5.99 bargain as well.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Hey now, I have the PPack and 1.3D...but that is because I got it over 10 years ago. :)
The problem is that you have to actually run the installs I think to get a good GRP file that has the full 1.5 on it. But once that GRP is made, you can make a backup of it (I have at least one backup on my many data backups because it is such a hassle).

• Weaponized Autism

Oh derp, I misread.

• I have the power!

I don't know if the original poster has had these for as long as I have, but he did say that he has them rather than he is buying them now. I am assuming he got the urge to play Duke3D after hearing that DNF is being released possibly maybe soon.

Yes, I got these discs back when they came out. And even then, I bought them for half price. So, since I have both, should I install them first, then copy? Or can I pull the files straight from the CDs and layer them one over the other?

Also, I actually got the urge to replay this when I spent a late night (Like now) randomly surfing via StumbleUpon.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't have any experience with the original discs myself but I'm pretty sure the plutonium pack was an update, and from what Mr Flibble said, I think you should install the original disc first, then the plutonium pack, then copy.

If you can't get them to work, I suppose you could find a *ahem* torrent of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition, and in my mind at least you won't be doing anything morally wrong as you've already paid for the software.

Plutonium PAK? Atomic Edition? What's all that about?

Until November 1996, the only registered version of Duke Nukem 3D was v1.3d. We created a new version that had a new fourth episode, and we changed the version to v1.4 - We also gave that a new name - "The Atomic Edition". In order to upgrade customers who had the registered v1.3d CD, we created a patch that could be purchased - that patch was called "The Plutonium PAK".

In December 1996, we updated it again for a few minor bug fixes, and the version number was again changed to v1.5. Both v1.4 and v1.5 are "Atomic". The term "Plutonium PAK" refers ONLY to the patch you need to use to upgrade an existing copy of v1.3 to v1.4. (There is a further patch available online for free to upgrade a v1.4 to v1.5).

Using 'The Plutonium PAK' will result on your copy of Duke Nukem 3D becoming 'The Atomic Edition' - The term "Plutonium PAK" refers only to the actual patch. The resultant game is called 'The Atomic Edition'. If this is all confusing, your best bet is to forget about the names and use use the version numbers. :)

In short, if you had the old 3 episode registered version (the registered v1.3d CD), you want to get the Plutonium PAK (and the 1.5 free patch online), and if you don't have any Duke Nukem at all, or just the shareware, you need to buy the "Atomic Version" CD. If you buy the Atomic version, you are done.

We no longer sell the old registered version, we only sell the Atomic Edition. Furthermore, in October of 2001, the Plutonium PAK was discontinued. Contact Customer Support for more information about this.

User is offline   RazorZ 

Interesting... :)

• I have the power!

You have to install the game and the PP via a dos command box or something and then make a copy of that GRP that is made. That GRP is the Atomic Edition GRP and unless you want to go through the process of installing a dos game again, I recommend making a backup somewhere. :)

• Weaponized Autism

This should help you to install.

ftp://ftp.3drealms.c...hes/ppack15.exe

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

FMPhoenixHawk, unless you want to download dubious torrents it appears you will have to go the DOSBox way. I did that last week to obtain the GRP equivalents from my Quake CD and it was not too difficult.
1) Install Duke 1.3
2) Install Plutonium Pack on top of that
3) Apply ppack15.exe (Or was this just a patch for the DUKE3D.EXE executable?)
4) Backup the resulting DUKE3D.GRP

OR avoid the hassle and rebuy from GOG.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I think getting it from GoG is the easiest way to install Duke3D on a modern PC. They don't use the DOS installer if I remember correctly... oh just noticed LeoD mentioned it too.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 14 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hmmm, okay. I will look into this a bit further.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options