Duke4.net Forums: Vsync and framerate problems - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vsync and framerate problems

User is offline   VGA 

I just ran BloodGDX for the first time, it ran at more than 2000 fps, so I enabled Vsync in the launcher. Then I noticed some weird mouse behaviour, like the framerate wasn't smooth, even though it was at 60. Then I disabled Vsync from the launcher and forced it through the Nvidia control panel, same thing. Then I disabled Vsync and enabled frame limiting to 60. Now the mouse and framerate is smooth but I get horizontal tearing.

Any ideas?

Also, the intro videos doesn't have any sound and I don't have any music ingame, only sounds. Whcih files does BloodGDX need from my Blood installation?

User is offline   Strogglet 

It's just how VSync works, it always messes up with mouse movement and smoothing.

Although it seems to be even more severe in BloodGDX, maybe Java's Vsync is just terrible?

I'm suffering from the same issue. It does seem that running the game in a window (using Borderless Gaming for fake fullscreen), helps to a certain extent. I has to be said, however, that I'm having similar issues with Eduke32 and Shadow Warrior Redux. Pretty much only the Doom source ports (GZ/QZDoom in my case) work with vsync withou issue, so maybe there is something wrong with the Build engine emulation?

User is offline   m210® 

View Postemperorsfist, on 14 March 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

I'm suffering from the same issue. It does seem that running the game in a window (using Borderless Gaming for fake fullscreen), helps to a certain extent. I has to be said, however, that I'm having similar issues with Eduke32 and Shadow Warrior Redux. Pretty much only the Doom source ports (GZ/QZDoom in my case) work with vsync withou issue, so maybe there is something wrong with the Build engine emulation?

Why emulation? :)
So, it's seems something wrong with timers in gamecycle. There is need to rewrite it, or better understand how it works.

This post has been edited by M210: 14 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

View Postemperorsfist, on 14 March 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

I may have used incorrect terminology, sorry. Still, these problems seem to be prevalent in all Build Engine source ports, and all seem to stem from VSync.

User is offline   VGA 

View Postemperorsfist, on 14 March 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

I may have used incorrect terminology, sorry. Still, these problems seem to be prevalent in all Build Engine source ports, and all seem to stem from VSync.

Newer builds of eduke32 are fine for me with Vsync enabled. Maybe their recent changes about how the mouse works helped. But now it's smooth for me with Vsync On at 60fps in the Polymer renderer.

M210 maybe you can take a look at recent eduke32 changes?

User is offline   m210® 

View PostVGA, on 14 March 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Newer builds of eduke32 are fine for me with Vsync enabled. Maybe their recent changes about how the mouse works helped. But now it's smooth for me with Vsync On at 60fps in the Polymer renderer.

Mouse and vsync are different things and I can make mouse smoother, because I noticed, in WHGDX already has a smooth mouse as in newer eduke32. But as I said, vsync will working as it working now

This post has been edited by M210: 14 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

User is offline   VGA 

View PostM210, on 14 March 2018 - 07:50 PM, said:

Mouse and vsync are different things and I can make mouse smoother, because I noticed, in WHGDX already has a smooth mouse as in newer eduke32. But as I said, vsync will working as it working now

They are two different things but I think there will be an improvement for the user to have the more accurate mouse angle control, I hope it's in the next BloodGDX version :)

Something to help you debug the problem is the utility called MSI Afterburner, it can show the framerate and the frame timings, which is where the problem is (I think)

User is offline   m210® 

The problem is "Interpolation error", there is no need to debug. I disabled this message, but I know, that there is without vsync(not often) and very often with vsync. Just a error in interpolation smooth formula

View PostVGA, on 14 March 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yeah, I've tried a newer build of Eduke, and the issue has been all but eliminated there (at least for me). Thanks for mentioning it!

User is offline   cardij 

Is there a way to simply turn off the FPS Limit? I don't like the behavior and feel with FPS limiting.

User is offline   VGA 

View Postcardij, on 17 March 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Is there a way to simply turn off the FPS Limit? I don't like the behavior and feel with FPS limiting.

Set the limit to 0!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options