• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Build 2 Released by Ken Silverman

User is offline   Player Lin 

Player Lin, on 09 March 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

https://www.virustot...93f0d/detection

Someone maybe should tell Ken about this, 13/67 isn't good...
(even it still likely false positive but it still not good... :P)

27/66 now.

The new one (release on 3/28) : https://www.virustot...a7291/detection with 11/65

Ken updated his page with a note explains about this "Bulid 2 anti-virus software panic".

NOTE: I've been getting complaints about antivirus software not liking the EXEs in the above archive. It could be my extensive use of assembly language, self-modifying code, UDP/TCP routines (when the user elects to multi-edit), or usage of 10 year old Windows routines like DirectX9 (this is a 10 year old project after all). I do not write malicious software. The latest BUILD2.EXE (03/28/2018) should have a CRC-32 of 0xc2b55851.

Yeah, just put Build2.exe to exception list(whitelist) if your Antivirus shit hates it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not sure what else to add.

There's also a really annoying quirk to the door functionality. It doesn't activate the door by looking at it but just being in the general vicinity of it whether you're looking at it or not. Probably just a quick and dirty hack Ken made for his demo map to get doors working. Code just needs refining.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

MusicallyInspired, on 29 March 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

I'm not sure what else to add.

There's also a really annoying quirk to the door functionality. It doesn't activate the door by looking at it but just being in the general vicinity of it whether you're looking at it or not. Probably just a quick and dirty hack Ken made for his demo map to get doors working. Code just needs refining.

How much time total do you think you put into that so far? It looks real nice.

EDIT: Just occured to me it would be really cool to see this in a more refined state with voxel furniture and stuff plugged in.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 29 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not really sure. I've been just messing with it every now and then bit by bit since it came out over the past 3 weeks. Even little bits on my breaks at work. The hardest part was working out how to best utilize SOS and what the wrong ways of doing it are.

I planned to do sector-based furniture and stuff but I just don't have the textures. Otherwise I'd have done it already. The house already looks overly wooden with that texture all over everything lol. More voxels would look nice, though. The light bulbs and wires look really great. (actually they're stretched out candle voxel-sprites that happen to fit the socket part of the bulb perfectly. Ken used it that way in his own map. Genius) I can't figure out how to make anything with Slab6, though.

User is offline   quakis 

MusicallyInspired, on 29 March 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

I can't figure out how to make anything with Slab6, though.

Give this program a try: http://www.voxelmade.com/magicavoxel/

Then export as a .vox, import into slab6 and convert the file to .kv6 later.

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice, thanks!

• The Sarien Encounter

I went a little weird with it...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Good job. Your basement now has a portal to a giant vagina.

It needs some masked wall glass textures. (frosted & clear)

• The Sarien Encounter

Lol must have been a subliminal thing. It at least looks evil, right?

I could do that except textures can't have transparency. :P

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

MusicallyInspired, on 31 March 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

It at least looks evil, right?

there are not many things more evil than a vagina

MusicallyInspired, on 31 March 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

I could do that except textures can't have transparency. :P

that's right. pity.

well, there's loose fitting opening/closing storm shutters and/or grid styled framework for the non-existent glass if you were to start detailing it out.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah grid-styled. That's genius. I've been trying to think of a way to bar the windows. First method was to just mask the wall with 45 degree angled wood textures to make it look barred up....but then you can't see inside or outside and there's no lights shining. Also doesn't make sense to have working lights in an abandoned barred up house. I could do both the grid framework and shutters actually. Really having fun seeing what I can accomplish with SOS.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

User is offline   RPD Guy 

Damn, that's hot.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't see why BUILD can't move into the 21st Century. Why can't you have nice lighting and 3D models? Why shouldn't new generations learn to use and love the BUILD engine?

Will it look "Just like the old games"? No, it won't.

But that dosen't mean that you can't improve the engine so that people can make nicer looking games going forward with the tech.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Tea Monster, on 03 April 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

I don't see why BUILD can't move into the 21st Century. Why can't you have nice lighting and 3D models? Why shouldn't new generations learn to use and love the BUILD engine?

Will it look "Just like the old games"? No, it won't.

But that dosen't mean that you can't improve the engine so that people can make nicer looking games going forward with the tech.

I think it starts to come down to that age old "broom handle" question.

After a fashion it just becomes easier to use newer technology than trying to Frankenstein the old.

BUILD needs a serious overhaul in it's performance and it needs a more stream-lined and cohesive structure for using high res content. It really does not feel good to try and implement the next-gen stuff right now with Eduke32 because A. It's janky, it's not finished, and it feels like it's being rather sloppily pasted over the 8bit content(when we're talking about things like the HRP, that is.)

• The Sarien Encounter

I think all of that is tied to the antiquated sector-based mapping approach. But it's so easy to use and learn. I attempted to start mapping for Half-Life and HL2 multiple times but I never got anywhere. Furthest I've gotten with any map editor was with Build (and now, Build 2).

Speaking of which. Quick window panes (no shutters yet):

Posted Image
Posted Image

I noticed another absent feature is transparent objects. Not palette transparency but more like alpha transparency. I wonder if that's programmable in Evaldraw, though...

I've also successfully remapped key controls (though I can't figure out how to make holding down a mouse button persist an effect like walking/running), slowed down run speed and speed up walk speed, decreased mouse sensitivity, and inverted mouse look which was driving me NUTS. I had been using Build 2 for so long that I started not being able to play right with proper Y inversion in other FPS games.

I also put two and two together and realized the broken heightmap functionality is bump mapping (right?). I wonder how one is to implement it and how it's broken...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't think this would be a valid 'next-gen' engine. You have dynamic lights and with the addition of some simple models and some other touches, it would be a great successor to the original BUILD engine. Sort of like a high-res version of Minecraft. Easy to make things and have them look better than the original BUILD engine.

That house that MusicallyInspired made has a very nice look and feel. It isn't hyper-realistic like Unreal or similar, but it has great charm.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached File  EVAL0000.png (902.87K)
Number of downloads: 66Attached File  EVAL0001.png (902.87K)
Number of downloads: 51

^not mine, from blackshadow https://blackshadowgame.blogspot.ca/ just like to point out Scott AW had Build2 7 years ago. Good source of knowledge on the engine, him and Ken worked on the code together. It's for sure worth a download if you're curious about Build2 and Evaldraw scripting.

I'm going to make a demo fps for Build2. It's the perfect engine for an old project I had with voxel enemies, it had a working title of "Retrobots."

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Holy moly, I remember that guy from the CGS forums. Had no idea he transferred the work to Build 2.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I wonder if there's enough people working on stuff for Build 2, that we may be able to convince Ken to implement transparency?

P.s. what OS's does Build 2 even work on? At the moment it seems like only windows?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 08 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Sweet. I seem to have a vague memory of this....it looks familiar somehow. Definitely downloading this.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I found a small bug, evaldraw in fullscreen for me splits into stereo mode, just the new version bundled with Build2. I assume it's tied into this somehow, from evaldraw.txt

02/08/2016:
* Selecting "stereomode=3" in EVALDRAW.INI (Nvidia 3DVision) now ignores
and overrides other EVALDRAW.INI settings (fullscreen, xres, yres,
stereorefresh). So now, to toggle Nvidia 3DVision, you only need to
set "stereomode=3" in EVALDRAW.INI and you're done.

I have a Nvidia card but have never used any 3D stuff, it's like that with no .ini file, or with stereomode set to any of 0-3. Anyways, fullscreen works fine with one of the older evaldraw.exe's I had so it's not a big deal to me.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I ran into that too. also have a Nvidia card. Setting stereomodes did absolutely nothing. Good to know about the earlier version of Evaldraw. I'd email Ken about it but he hasn't replied to my last email yet. I think I was asking too many questions. Don't want to bug him lol.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maps can come into Build2 and Evaldraw from the original build or Mapster32, as long as it's in a .grp with .art files like the original game.

command line for Build2
build2 [*.GRP] [*.MAP]

mount the grp as a zip in .kc for Evaldraw
mountzip("[*.GRP]");

This post has been edited by Drek: 09 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

And hey, look. Transparent textures.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I think when Ken said "There are a few relatively minor things missing in BUILD2 that the original Build Engine had. Most notably - transparency." what he meant was the ability to make any sprite semi-transparent like in Build (dos). The first thing I did was take a quick look into this with Build2, all I can say is .png alpha looked like crap with white artifacts at borders, 8bit .bmp with a palette.dat works well (classic pink alpha), and most importantly I've gotten full alpha transparency from 32bit RGB DDS files. I'd think about rewording that line if I were Ken, maybe he'll catch wind of this confusion.

To correct my last post, original build maps will also load with the .art files and palette.dat in the root folder.

As a side note, I don't think lights or shadows work with sprites at all, with or without transparency, just sector geometry if I'm not mistaken, maybe I missed something.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I just sloped a floor aligned sprite :P

I've just been testing things out and noticed that shade values from Build1 can be carried over to Build2. I'm not sure how useful it would be to anyone because shade can't be edited or changed in anyway except to TAB it in from an already shaded sprite/wall of the same texture.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Drek, on 10 April 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

I just sloped a floor aligned sprite :P

I've just been testing things out and noticed that shade values from Build1 can be carried over to Build2. I'm not sure how useful it would be to anyone because shade can't be edited or changed in anyway except to TAB it in from an already shaded sprite/wall of the same texture.

I was wondering why you hadn't used that instead of the steps. It's pretty nifty isn't it.

This comes down to Build2 being quite immature as an engine. I imagine when Ken was working on the original Build for 3DR, the dev team was always sending feedback and requests to him about things to fix and add. Things that you won't be aware of, or won't think is an issue, until you actually try making a decent game.
This is why eduke32 is so useful; it's got over a decade of experience and thought put into it, tying the loose ends, dotting the I's and crossing the t's, and generally making it easier to use such that veterans like Gambini and Mikko can produce fantastic mods like DNF 2013 within a 6 month time frame, part time.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Micky C, on 10 April 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

I was wondering why you hadn't used that instead of the steps. It's pretty nifty isn't it.

I should have made myself clear, those pics are of a map made in Mapster32 then loaded into evaldraw. I haven't started mapping anything for real in Build2 yet, just pushing the boundaries and seeing what the limitations are.

• The Sarien Encounter

The '+' and '-' keys on the numpad change shade values incrementally as usual you just can't set them manually (a number). Though it seems that while shades can get quite dark, it doesn't seem to increase beyond a certain brightness level. Technically it does under the hood as hilding down the '-' key after increasing brightness for a while takes a while again to get back down, but visually it only becomes so bright.

I think I've discovered a bit of a quick fix for the Win8/10 visual glitch issue on 2D objects. Just press the Windows key (if not in fullscreen) to bring up the Start menu and then Esc out of it. This removes all flickering for me. Though, only temporarily until the next flicker glitch event. But it works in the moment when you're at an extreme angle or something and things are almost transparent due to the flicker and you need to see something visually real quick. It seems to start flickering again once you move/look around more.

The flicker is non-existant on Win7 I've noticed.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Micky C, on 10 April 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

This comes down to Build2 being quite immature as an engine. I imagine when Ken was working on the original Build for 3DR, the dev team was always sending feedback and requests to him about things to fix and add. Things that you won't be aware of, or won't think is an issue, until you actually try making a decent game.
This is why eduke32 is so useful; it's got over a decade of experience and thought put into it, tying the loose ends, dotting the I's and crossing the t's, and generally making it easier to use such that veterans like Gambini and Mikko can produce fantastic mods like DNF 2013 within a 6 month time frame, part time.

This is what got me intrigued. A clean slate.
{
      //Load Build2 map into memory
   mountzip("../build2");
   mapload("doortest.map",&sect,&x,&y,&z,&hang,&vang,
&tilt);

while (1)
   {
         //Render Build2 view (cls & clz done inside)
      mapdraw(x,y,z,hang,vang,tilt);

//Rotate with mouse
      readmouse(mx,my); hang += mx*.01; vang += my*.01;

//Generate movement vector (vx,vy,vz) from arrows
      a = keystatus[0xc8]-keystatus[0xd0]; //Up-Down
      b = keystatus[0xcd]-keystatus[0xcb]; //Right-Left
      c = keystatus[0x52]-keystatus[0x9d]; //KP0-RCtrl
      speed = .02; if (keystatus[0x36]) speed *= 4;
      vx = (cos(hang)*a - sin(hang)*:P*speed;
      vy = (sin(hang)*a + cos(hang)*:lol:*speed;
      vz = c*speed;

//Collision detection
      mapcoll(&sect,&x,&y,&z,vx,vy,vz,.25,1,&hitsect,&hitind);

refresh();
   }
}

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

I'm trying to figure out how to use Ken's moving lights code to make them move faster in a smaller radius to look like flickering flashing lights near the event horizon.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 April 2018 - 07:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options