Duke4.net Forums: Randy-Gearbox Please give us a remastered Duke Nukem Forever using Unreal Engine 4! - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Randy-Gearbox Please give us a remastered Duke Nukem Forever using Unreal Engine 4!  "A remaster of the criminally under-rated Duke Nukem Forever"

View PostPhredreeke, on 25 March 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

I'm surprised you didn't say Kaaba...

Destroying the Kaaba would not be offensive enough. It would be better to show the Black Stone as an alien artifact that senses the arrival of the alien motherships, activates and reacts by mutating muslims into pigs.

User is offline   Kennerado 

• Honored Donor

A remaster of DNF won't work, the damage has been done. It's time for a new game, time for Duke to BEGIN again. It can be Duke Begins or something that's not an "origin story". It would be funny if at the start of a new game, Duke wakes up buried alive and punches his way out kill bill style and the story reveals from there.

User is offline   Mark 

The Duke Begins theme got me thinking. From 3DR storylines or interviews, what do we know of Duke Nukem's life before the opening of E1L1 on the rooftop? Any backstory at all?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMark, on 06 September 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

The Duke Begins theme got me thinking. From 3DR storylines or interviews, what do we know of Duke Nukem's life before the opening of E1L1 on the rooftop? Any backstory at all?

DN3D is supposed to continue where DN2 ends.

There were posters in Area 51 (Duke 64 version, maybe others too) that showed he was a genetic experiment. Or maybe that was a formula for future Duke bots. I kind of like Randy's idea about him witnessing aliens kill his dad at a young age and no one believed him until they invaded. To expand on that, he began working out, taking steroids and watching action films to get him ready to fight one day. I would like that better than a stereotypical military background.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I always thought that genetic experiment explanation was stupid. Ditto with showcasing Duke in a vulnerable state to explain his origins. Why can't he just be awesome without any explanation? I don't want that kind of drama in a Duke game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 September 2018 - 12:57 PM

He can and I'd rather not have an origin story too. If there is one, that's what I'd go for.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 September 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

I always thought that genetic experiment explanation was stupid. Ditto with showcasing Duke in a vulnerable state. Why can't he just be awesome without any explanation?

Yeah, better to have no origin story than to have a dumb or cliched one.

For what it's worth here is my own idea that I would use if telling a Duke backstory: After graduating high school as a star athlete, Duke becomes an alcoholic loser and is in and out of jail for getting into fights and beating the shit out of guys at bars. Duke has an older brother who is a science nerd who had already graduated college and been recruited by the EDF a few years earlier. Duke's brother pulls some strings and has Duke drafted into the EDF as a grunt, for his own good. Duke is essentially kidnapped and taken through boot camp. He gets cleaned up and turns out to be an incredible soldier. But Duke is much smarter than his older brother gave him credit for, and during a mission Duke learns about some suspicious activities that his brother has been involved in. This leads to the uncovering of a conspiracy within the EDF. Duke's brother is part of a cabal that wants a military coup to take over the USA and then the world. Duke ends up leading a team to take down the cabal leaders. During the final battle, Duke is presented with a desperate choice of either using a nuclear weapon against the cabal's bunker, or allowing them to escape. He chooses the nuke. Because of this, Duke's brother is killed. Now in a position to leave the EDF if he wants to, Duke decides that the world needs him, and stays on. But he is promoted to lead a special taskforce where he can basically do whatever he wants. Due to his choice of the nuclear option, he is code named "Duke Nuke 'Em", or just "Duke Nukem".

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 September 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

For what it's worth here is my own idea that I would use if telling a Duke backstory:

so Dr, Proton is his brother?

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 September 2018 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 06 September 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

so Dr, Proton is his brother?

Because his brother already cloned himself before the nuclear blast and the clone becomes Dr Proton and swears revenge on his brother Duke but Duke doesn't even know it's his brother's clone yes that will work :rolleyes:

User is offline   Mark 

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: edfduke1.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 06 September 2018 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

For what it's worth here is my own idea that I would use if telling a Duke backstory: After graduating high school as a star athlete, Duke becomes an alcoholic loser and is in and out of jail for getting into fights and beating the shit out of guys at bars. Duke has an older brother who is a science nerd who had already graduated college and been recruited by the EDF a few years earlier. Duke's brother pulls some strings and has Duke drafted into the EDF as a grunt, for his own good. Duke is essentially kidnapped and taken through boot camp. He gets cleaned up and turns out to be an incredible soldier. But Duke is much smarter than his older brother gave him credit for, and during a mission Duke learns about some suspicious activities that his brother has been involved in. This leads to the uncovering of a conspiracy within the EDF. Duke's brother is part of a cabal that wants a military coup to take over the USA and then the world. Duke ends up leading a team to take down the cabal leaders. During the final battle, Duke is presented with a desperate choice of either using a nuclear weapon against the cabal's bunker, or allowing them to escape. He chooses the nuke. Because of this, Duke's brother is killed. Now in a position to leave the EDF if he wants to, Duke decides that the world needs him, and stays on. But he is promoted to lead a special taskforce where he can basically do whatever he wants. Due to his choice of the nuclear option, he is code named "Duke Nuke 'Em", or just "Duke Nukem".

Hey this story would make for a great movie plot, not oversimplified, not too complex.

In my headcanon, Dr. Proton used to work for the EDF as a scientist, and Duke was one of his projects (a genetically synthesized supersoldier), together with a secret backup... Bombshell.

User is offline   Mark 

Ehh, Duke doesn't seem enhanced enough to be considered a supersoldier. Compared to a Capt America at least. Although since he only fires weapons and has a kick he hasn't had an opportunity to show off his superhuman skills yet. :rolleyes: Hmm... Might be a good idea for a TC.

This post has been edited by Mark: 07 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

But he can repeatedly lift 600 pounds (the record in the real world is lifting 582 pounds once), and performing certain actions makes him instantly healthier.

User is offline   Mark 

Lifting 600 pounds? Do you mean thats what all his weapons and ammo weigh?

Or does he do some actual lifting in DNF ? which I don't have or ever heard discussed

This post has been edited by Mark: 07 September 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostMark, on 07 September 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

Or does he do some actual lifting in DNF ? which I don't have or ever heard discussed

Yes, he does some lifting in the main campaign of DNF and also in the DLC. In both cases, you get an ego boost the first time you lift 600 pounds.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I hate this. :rolleyes: And that last sentence where it gets explained how he got the name is just salt for the wound. :P

I can't think of anything that would be better though other than a "Duke is basically Duke even when he begins" story. To me Duke is like Dutch would be after Predator: Dutch had an encounter that was unusual to say the least so chances are that he would be called upon if something like that happened again. Other than that I can't really see Duke as a soldier (that would not be Duke) but more like an ex-soldier working as a merc even in a prequel so yep, I think that a prequel should be about how he becomes an "alien / android ass kicker" rather than how he becomes a "good soldier". You know, start in the middle, not at the beginning.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 07 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

I'm still partial to a game that leverages a lot of scenarios from DNF (even if built 100% from scratch again) where you find out the Duke you were playing in DNF was a clone sent specifically to act as a foil and prevent people from tracking down the real Duke to deal with the invasion... and by the time the real Duke is informed anything is happening the bulk of the damage in the DNF story is already done.

• Honored Donor

View PostJumpJuneJump, on 07 September 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

I'm still partial to a game that leverages a lot of scenarios from DNF (even if built 100% from scratch again) where you find out the Duke you were playing in DNF was a clone sent specifically to act as a foil and prevent people from tracking down the real Duke to deal with the invasion... and by the time the real Duke is informed anything is happening the bulk of the damage in the DNF story is already done.

Or maybe Duke wakes to find the events in DNF were a dream, then the 2001 era build story commences...or maybe not!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

A nightmare.

User is offline   justLMAO 

A remaster would be dope, but only if it has all the stuff they chopped out of the levels put back in. Does this stuff exist in an archive somewhere or was it permanently deleted? Like is there an "original version" of DNF before it was gutted to work on consoles? I'm referring to the "cutting is shipping", "we begin this year with a chainsaw" stuff where they basically raped the game by walling off any sideroutes and deleting anything that was behind them, cutting out Bombshell etc.

This post has been edited by justLMAO: 08 September 2018 - 05:51 AM

User is online   necroslut 

View PostjustLMAO, on 08 September 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

A remaster would be dope, but only if it has all the stuff they chopped out of the levels put back in. Does this stuff exist in an archive somewhere or was it permanently deleted? Like is there an "original version" of DNF before it was gutted to work on consoles? I'm referring to the "cutting is shipping", "we begin this year with a chainsaw" stuff where they basically raped the game by walling off any sideroutes and deleting anything that was behind them, cutting out Bombshell etc.

Some content probably exists in various states of implementation, probably most of it unfinished and unpolished and most likely not just ready to "plug back in". Some of it might be better left unimplemented. A lot of the "cut" stuff was probably only planned and never really made it past concept.
It's very unlikely there's an "original version" sitting around, as by that time the game was still quite a bit away from completion, but some content might be salvageable given enough care.
I don't think there ever was a final version of Bombshell, but theoretically putting her back in would mean replacing Dylan's model (there might be a useable Bombshell model), voice lines and some animations, as well as some of Duke's voice lines.

It always appeared to me like the "Halofication" of DNF was quite superficial and never properly implemented in the game, so it wouldn't need that much rebalancing as it never really felt balanced for the final features anyway.

• Honored Donor

What about the version Jace Hall played with the weapon wheel and no 2 weapon limit etc? That was probably closer to the final "original" version.

I prefer a variation where sort of did what we see in DNF, except that the details were all wrong because DNF is being narrated by Doctor Proton, so he is twisting the story to make Duke look like a one-dimensional douchebag, and make himself look intelligent and dangerous.
This would give an in-universe explanation to why the narrator in the DNF reveal trailer sounds the same as Doctor Proton in the DLC.

View PostjustLMAO, on 08 September 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

I think Las Vegas was originally meant to be freely explorable, and remains of it are still in the game. I do remember George saying that DNF would have required a dual core to run, in 2008 or so.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 09 September 2018 - 04:50 AM

I mean that's already somewhat canon since it's revealed the Duke at the end of DNF is actually a Dukinator sent by Dr. Proton. Who's to say the Duke we've been playing in the main campaign isn't that Dukinator all along?

View PostPikaCommando, on 09 September 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

I mean that's already somewhat canon since it's revealed the Duke at the end of DNF is actually a Dukinator sent by Dr. Proton. Who's to say the Duke we've been playing in the main campaign isn't that Dukinator all along?

The DLC reveals that when the nuke went off at the Hoover Dam, the EDF transport crashed into the desert. Duke woke up after he had been taken into Area 51 by Doctor Proton, and by then, the "I'm gonna run for president" scene (not with just one, but with two Dukeinators) had already happened.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I always took the posters in Area 51 as more of a reaction to Duke's badassery, not an explanation. Duke being such a badass that the scientists at Area 51 were examining his DNA to figure out why he was the ultimate warrior.

I loved reading Wieder's ideas on how to take the DNF stuff and create a new game out of it where it explained away all the bullshit in the final released game.

Though, yeah, I think it's time for a clean slate. Not a reboot per se. Just....Do another Duke game, and do it right.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The only way to get a Duke Nukem game right is to completely ignore story, plot, world building etc. Stop trying to make Duke Nukem dynamic. He kills aliens. Do something more like Doom 2016.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Humour is a big part of Duke, even if it's just stupid pop/movie references. Without the humour, you just have the Doom Marine.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options