Duke4.net Forums: Randy-Gearbox Please give us a remastered Duke Nukem Forever using Unreal Engine 4! - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Randy-Gearbox Please give us a remastered Duke Nukem Forever using Unreal Engine 4!  "A remaster of the criminally under-rated Duke Nukem Forever"

User is offline   kaisersoze 

  • Honored Donor

#1

Wow, it's been awhile. I sincerely hope all the "old timers" are doing well here. Still love you Yatta! /Kiss

With the recent surge of remasters(which I have no problem with. I think the Secret of Mana remaster is great with a few minor nitpicks and Shadow of the Colossus is breathtaking) it's time to perhaps start a
discussion or wish/request a remaster of Duke Nukem Forever. I personally think it's criminally under-rated.

It probably comes down to a money issue but has any thought whatsoever been given to a proper Duke Nukem Forever 4k remaster(kinda like Bulletstorm got?)

Unreal Engine 4, some new lines by Jon St John and all the DLC included with the remaster. Duke Nukem Forever "Bow to the King" Remastered Edition. Something like that.

Proper releases on Xbox One, S and X, Steam/PC, PS4/PS4 Pro and yes I'm gonna say Nintendo Switch(it can handle Unreal Engine 4 but the 4k resolution would obviously be out the window).

I guess what I'm saying is....I miss the Duke I.P. I played World Tour(awesome) but just really want a "next gen" Duke it being a proper HD remaster or all new entry. There's still room for Duke in this market!

So Randy, if you happen to read this....I know it takes money and resources and it's easy to spend someone else's money but can you at least *consider* it? Give it to Bluepoint! (they handled the Shadow of Colossus remake)

Looking forward to seeing Borderlands 3 soon(and for the love of all things Yatta, don't monetize loot box it to hell and kill the series like Activision/Bungie is doing with Destiny and EA is with Star Wars.

Cheers all and always bet on Duke. Always.

-Kaiser(the one who ate his underwear)Soze
1

User is offline   Mark 

  • Honored Donor

#2

No Unreal needed. We just need the right team of mappers, coders and graphics for a great new Eduke32 game. This is a pic in Mapster32 from a mod that was released last year. But yes, an Unreal4 Duke game would be cool.

GB...We community modders work cheap. ( just sayin' ) ;)

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: no unreal.jpg


This post has been edited by Mark.: 20 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

1

User is online   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #3

View PostMark., on 20 February 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

No Unreal needed. We just need the right team of mappers, coders and graphics for a great new Eduke32 game.

-1 for reading comprehension, he's not talking about making a Duke fangame.

Frankly, I've had enough of someone trying to fork our port and run it into the ground in the name of backdooring a Duke fangame as a Duke 3D mod.
1

User is offline   Mark 

  • Honored Donor

#4

Ah, I missed the 4K part. I clearly saw the DNF remaster part. I posted my pic as a half serious point that a semi-decent remaster could be made in Eduke32. It happens that the only high res/quality shot I have is from HHR. If he hasn't been around in a long time he might not have known how good it can look these days.If I had one with DNF assets I would have shown that.

EDIT: Yeah, now that I think about it Eduke 32 couldn't even come close. I don't have DNF but I remember watching parts of a few videos of gameplay. I had forgotten how large the maps are. Eduke32 would run at about 1 FPS at best.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 20 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

1

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#5

To 'fix' what is wrong with DNF would require far more than just remastered textures. The game is widely and rightly regarded as a turkey. Nobody who isn't a rabid, barking-mad Duke fan will go near that mess with a barge pole. GBX would take a massive bath releasing anything like that.

The past is pretty much dead. They released a brand new episode of DN3D with new levels and textures. This should have been a fan's wet dream, but instead, all the fans bitched about it instead of buying it - So they aren't going to do that again. Anyone who stepped forward and suggested doing a project of similar complexity with DNF would be classed as a suitable case for treatment. I doubt if even Ronald Reagan, presenting a powerpoint presentation made by Jesus Christ himself, could sell retreading that pile of crap.

The IP needs to move on with a good new FPS game. At this point, nothing else will do.

I personally think that EDuke and the Duke4 community should be open to doing stuff that isn't just a mod of DN3D. Isn't that what Decay and WGR do? Are you saying that those sorts of mods shouldn't be created with EDuke32? What about Ion Maiden?
3

#6

I think Duke is pretty much dead at this point I have given up on the king time for me to let him go.
0

#7

View PostTea Monster, on 20 February 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

To 'fix' what is wrong with DNF would require far more than just remastered textures. The game is widely and rightly regarded as a turkey. Nobody who isn't a rabid, barking-mad Duke fan will go near that mess with a barge pole. GBX would take a massive bath releasing anything like that.

The past is pretty much dead. They released a brand new episode of DN3D with new levels and textures. This should have been a fan's wet dream, but instead, all the fans bitched about it instead of buying it - So they aren't going to do that again. Anyone who stepped forward and suggested doing a project of similar complexity with DNF would be classed as a suitable case for treatment. I doubt if even Ronald Reagan, presenting a powerpoint presentation made by Jesus Christ himself, could sell retreading that pile of crap.

The IP needs to move on with a good new FPS game. At this point, nothing else will do.


While a new Duke game would be fantastic, a re-release of DNF would be a great move.
And, there are plenty of things that could be done to improve DNF, simple fixes, tweaks and updates. Naturally, improved visuals, lighting, texture work. Proper reflective water in the Dam level would make a world of difference.
The Vegas Strip... set it back to night.

Merge levels together. There are several sections in DNF that are obviously split in half simply because of memory constraints of the consoles, with newer hardware it would be possible to piece those levels back together and improve the pacing and feel of the game.
Remove the weapon limit, tweak and increase enemy encounters.
Replace a few one liners with more current, appropriate ones. Bring back the original Ego health system design. The system from Manhattan Project, killing enemies and such gives ego. Picking up shit... takes away ego.

The thing is, there is a good game in DNF, it's just hindered by some questionable design... and poor decisions. Despite the wide spread hate, it's not a bad game. And it's definitely not the "worst shooter ever". Hell, it wasn't even the worst FPS that year.

There is always a demand for Duke.
And, a version of DNF that improved on the original and made it better. Made it more Duke... would be worth it.
3

User is offline   Tekedon 

#8

View Postkaisersoze, on 20 February 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

Wow, it's been awhile. I sincerely hope all the "old timers" are doing well here. Still love you Yatta! /Kiss

With the recent surge of remasters(which I have no problem with. I think the Secret of Mana remaster is great with a few minor nitpicks and Shadow of the Colossus is breathtaking) it's time to perhaps start a
discussion or wish/request a remaster of Duke Nukem Forever. I personally think it's criminally under-rated.

It probably comes down to a money issue but has any thought whatsoever been given to a proper Duke Nukem Forever 4k remaster(kinda like Bulletstorm got?)

Unreal Engine 4, some new lines by Jon St John and all the DLC included with the remaster. Duke Nukem Forever "Bow to the King" Remastered Edition. Something like that.

Proper releases on Xbox One, S and X, Steam/PC, PS4/PS4 Pro and yes I'm gonna say Nintendo Switch(it can handle Unreal Engine 4 but the 4k resolution would obviously be out the window).

I guess what I'm saying is....I miss the Duke I.P. I played World Tour(awesome) but just really want a "next gen" Duke it being a proper HD remaster or all new entry. There's still room for Duke in this market!

So Randy, if you happen to read this....I know it takes money and resources and it's easy to spend someone else's money but can you at least *consider* it? Give it to Bluepoint! (they handled the Shadow of Colossus remake)

Looking forward to seeing Borderlands 3 soon(and for the love of all things Yatta, don't monetize loot box it to hell and kill the series like Activision/Bungie is doing with Destiny and EA is with Star Wars.

Cheers all and always bet on Duke. Always.

-Kaiser(the one who ate his underwear)Soze


So what you are saying is that you want them to do another engine switch :D haha jk.
2

User is offline   kaisersoze 

  • Honored Donor

#9

Damien-you totally nailed it! Nice to see you btw! What you wrote is also a big part of my reasoning as well. Gearbox did a hell of a job with the game but you can still kinda feel like it was "stitched" together. No fault of theirs btw as we all know.

They could probably streamline a few things here or there, improve some a.i. encounters, etc.

And I'm a huge mark for Unreal Engine 4. I just think it's a fantastic freaking engine and DNF being remastered in UE4 would really make it "pop" and give it a really nice "next gen ie current gen" look imho.

And I do believe there's money to be made on re-releasing a WELL MADE remaster of the game. A lot of money.

Cheers!

=Kaiser
0

#10

View Postkaisersoze, on 21 February 2018 - 04:52 AM, said:

Damien-you totally nailed it! Nice to see you btw! What you wrote is also a big part of my reasoning as well. Gearbox did a hell of a job with the game but you can still kinda feel like it was "stitched" together. No fault of theirs btw as we all know.

They could probably streamline a few things here or there, improve some a.i. encounters, etc.

And I'm a huge mark for Unreal Engine 4. I just think it's a fantastic freaking engine and DNF being remastered in UE4 would really make it "pop" and give it a really nice "next gen ie current gen" look imho.

And I do believe there's money to be made on re-releasing a WELL MADE remaster of the game. A lot of money.

Cheers!

=Kaiser


Nice to see you as well.
GBX has made some mistakes, outsourcing Aliens to TimeGate, Battleborn (did not play, looked terrible)... and while it's great to have a version of BulletStorm with no Windows Live... the price was too high. Thankfully, 100% of all sales of BulletStorm for the first 100,000 copies went to People Can Fly. GBX only made money off the release if it surpassed that mark. But still, price was too high.

I think there's an interest in a DNF remaster, as I've seen the discussion pop up time and time again in different places.
There's still interest in the game, and that hope that there's the chance for a truly great, polished version of it. Despite it's problems, I like DNF. I can play it and enjoy it. But, I still hold out hope for that really "great version". And sadly, I think a lot of us got a bit spoiled by some of the 2009 leak material.
I personally like the idea of Duke getting knocked out after the Mothership battle, then waking up hours later and it being night. Leading to the battle on the Vegas Strip being at night. I've been to Vegas, and it's pretty bland looking in the daytime. Night is when it really pops, and that's what is needed in the game.
Plus, the carnage on the streets needed to be a bit more. For such a "devastating" invasion, the fallout on the ground level looked a little tame at times.

This post has been edited by Damien_Azreal: 21 February 2018 - 05:57 AM

1

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#11

Doing stuff like changing Las Vegas to night-time would be a lot of work and would not fall within the remit of a 'remaster'. What you are suggesting would be a great fan project. When (read as "if") Fred and Randy release the mod tools for DNF, then I fully expect a team to assemble and right some wrongs.

Convincing any kind of business enterprise that pouring money into remastering the existing DNF is just straight-up not going to happen. Nuh-uh son.
0

User is offline   Forge 

#12

This is a fanboy pipe-dream. DNF got a bad rep and was panned. Now people want to 'go back in time' and fix it.

There are multiple roadblocks that will prevent this from ever happening. Most of them involve Randy.

Randy is incompetent and releases broken or undesirable games. (see aliens, dnf, duke-wt, battleborn, etc.)
Randy is greedy. (he won't spend money to fix or improve anything, or invest in a new AAA game in order to repair the i.p. rep)
Randy is selfish. (he won't let anyone else touch his i.p.'s either)
Randy is out of touch with the gamer (Duke) fan-base. (see everything above. he feels the duke community by itself is too small to get a return on his investment & he doesn't know how to appeal to non-fanboys)


A re-master of DNF won't happen until several well received AAA Duke i.p. games have been released, and half the people old enough to remember DNF are dead from old age.
2

User is offline   gemeaux333 

#13

When you think Randy is doing the best he can (the poor guy) and all the efforts he have to make just in order to keep his company afloat...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

0

User is offline   Forge 

#14

Randy is not a 'poor guy' trying to keep his company afloat. He has more money & assets than most of us will ever see.

He needs to stick to Borderlands. Every time he tries to branch out it falls flat, because he's lost touch with the dirty masses. The last couple Duke releases lost money, now he's scared & doesn't know how to make the i.p. appeal to the general public.
He also has bad timing (see: battleborn), marketing (see:duke-wt), & p.r. (see: aliens: cm)
0

#15

View PostForge, on 21 February 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Randy is not a 'poor guy' trying to keep his company afloat. He has more money & assets than most of us will ever see.

He needs to stick to Borderlands. Every time he tries to branch out it falls flat, because he's lost touch with the dirty masses. The last couple Duke releases lost money, now he's scared & doesn't know how to make the i.p. appeal to the general public.
He also has bad timing (see: battleborn), marketing (see:duke-wt), & p.r. (see: aliens: cm)


I always find it funny when people say he needs to "stick to Borderlands"... when, BL was not his project.
When the first Borderlands was being made, Randy was working on the last game he directly had a large role in developing. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.



And yes, anyone with any common sense knows full well that a remaster of DNF won't happen. Nobody is sitting here honestly, with a straight face, saying "It should happen, and will happen".
This is a "it would be great" type of thing.
1

#16

Not to derail the thread, but is TimeGate really responsible for Aliens: Colonial Marine's failure? Personally, I think their FEAR expansion packs were great (and less boring than the base game).

Also, does the Mothership battle have to take place at morning in the theoretical DNF remake? Lenoman is a late night show (thus somewhere around 11pm), and they could just have Duke fight the Mothership at 2am in the morning before waking up at 7pm at night.

Somehow, I got a feeling that all these "Duke faints like a bitch and wakes up later" in the game are excuses to make sure he isn't awake while Vegas enters nighttime. Judging from the older screenshots, it looks like the Vegas and EDF base section would've taken place between 11pm-6am while the Canyon and Ghost Town section would've been around 7am-12pm, and the Dam part would be 1pm onwards.
0

#17

Off topic...
A:CM's failure was the fault of everyone involved. SEGA, GBX and TimeGate. Sega trying to act like they didn't know the game had been outsourced, GBX not keeping tabs on what was going on because they were too focused on BL2, and TimeGate throwing out years of work, then half-assing a campaign together. And personally, while Extraction Point is fun... Perseus Mandate is terrible.
All companies involved in that share responsibility for what happened. It's not just "that guys faults!" like some try and cry. Sega half assed their responsibilities, GBX half assed their part, and TimeGate half assed their work. I don't think it's as terrible as people bitch, but... it's definitely a pretty big disappointment.

As for DNF, some late shows used to be filmed during the day, and then aired at night. That could've been the thought behind it, but, yes... most of the time Duke getting knocked out was to cover a time transition.
Which is fine. But, moving the Vegas levels to day time was a mistake. Seems like an odd choice, specially since the pre-release footage showed the vegas stuff at night.

I mean, I'm glad they changed the opening stadium level from day to night, and added the rain. It really looked good.
But, moving those Vegas level to day just made them look rather boring and flat. Which, in real life, Vegas during day... does look pretty boring. The city comes to life at night, when the neon shines and the casinos really glow. But, why set your game in such an iconic location, but not show that location as most people know it?
2

User is offline   Forge 

#18

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 21 February 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

I always find it funny when people say he needs to "stick to Borderlands"... when, BL was not his project.

and that, good sir, would be the entire point of saying it.

it means he needs to stick to something he can't fuck up.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

0

#19

View PostForge, on 21 February 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

and that, good sir, would be the entire point of saying it.

it means he needs to stick to something he can't fuck up.


And that would be my point as well.
The last game he actively worked on and had a creative role on was one of GBX's best. BiA:Hell's Highway was great.

Since then, Randy hasn't had an active development/creative role in a game. He's only been working as the "public" face of the company while development is handled by the rest of the studio.
The studio has still had plenty of problems, but saying they were Randy's fault is... short sighted. You can't blame Battleborn on one person. A:CM was the fault of three companies.

I get that people hate on Randy because he's the one out front and center, but... there's more there then just one person.
0

User is offline   Forge 

#20

being the ceo means he has oversight of all those departments - how the company performs, their public image, marketing, and their product quality is ultimately his responsibility.
I already said Battleborn was more of a problem with timing than anything (too close to overwatch).
Duke-wt was poor marketing
Aliens:cm was bad p.r.

He's also responsible for development of all their i.p.'s

He should stick to Borderlands.

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

0

#21

View PostForge, on 22 February 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

being the ceo means he has oversight of all those departments - how the company performs, their public image, marketing, and their product quality is ultimately his responsibility.
I already said Battleborn was more of a problem with timing than anything (too close to overwatch).
Duke-wt was poor marketing
Aliens:cm was bad p.r.

He's also responsible for development of all their i.p.'s

He should stick to Borderlands.


He does have a call in what goes on in the studio, but he does not have a 1 on 1 interaction or impact on the games GBX develops.
In fact, he was against the change in art style for Borderlands, when he first heard about it and saw it he said it wouldn't work. And was upset they dropped the realistic look the game originally had. But, the BL team did what they felt worked best for the game.

It's why the studio has project leads, creative leads, art leads, design leads...
So the CEO isn't stuck spending his time micromanaging. So he can manage the people under him, and they manage their teams... and so on.


And, Battleborn failed because it's fucking terrible. Not timing. The game is just a tedious, annoying, piece of shit.

Besides, this is a pointless debate.
GBX like any developer has made some great game, and some bad ones. No studio is perfect or has a flawless track record. Hell, GBX has given me more games I enjoy then Valve has... ;)
0

User is offline   Yatta 

  • Pizza Lawyer

  #22

Nice to see you here Kaiser! I wish they'd just make a new game in UE4, actually. Something that more closely represents DNF 2001. :)
3

User is offline   necroslut 

#23

Since DNF reportedly has very little actual Unreal code left, and they branched off like at the UE1.5 point, I don't know if porting it to UE4 would be feasible... That said, I would pay full price for a good DNF remaster.

View PostTea Monster, on 20 February 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

To 'fix' what is wrong with DNF would require far more than just remastered textures. The game is widely and rightly regarded as a turkey. Nobody who isn't a rabid, barking-mad Duke fan will go near that mess with a barge pole. GBX would take a massive bath releasing anything like that.

The past is pretty much dead. They released a brand new episode of DN3D with new levels and textures. This should have been a fan's wet dream, but instead, all the fans bitched about it instead of buying it - So they aren't going to do that again. Anyone who stepped forward and suggested doing a project of similar complexity with DNF would be classed as a suitable case for treatment. I doubt if even Ronald Reagan, presenting a powerpoint presentation made by Jesus Christ himself, could sell retreading that pile of crap.

The IP needs to move on with a good new FPS game. At this point, nothing else will do.

I personally think that EDuke and the Duke4 community should be open to doing stuff that isn't just a mod of DN3D. Isn't that what Decay and WGR do? Are you saying that those sorts of mods shouldn't be created with EDuke32? What about Ion Maiden?

To me it looks that the opinions of the game has gradually shifted to more positive over the years as people have gotten over the disappointment and gotten to experience the actual game. Still, it would probably be much safer to release if after a successful sequel.
Though you're right about World Tour - it was a degree of fanservice that I can't remember ever happening before, and I loved it. A shame a lot of people seemingly didn't even give it a try.

Randy has expressed interest in releasing some sort of complete Duke anthology though, including - as I understood - DNF.

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 20 February 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

While a new Duke game would be fantastic, a re-release of DNF would be a great move.
And, there are plenty of things that could be done to improve DNF, simple fixes, tweaks and updates. Naturally, improved visuals, lighting, texture work. Proper reflective water in the Dam level would make a world of difference.
The Vegas Strip... set it back to night.

Merge levels together. There are several sections in DNF that are obviously split in half simply because of memory constraints of the consoles, with newer hardware it would be possible to piece those levels back together and improve the pacing and feel of the game.
Remove the weapon limit, tweak and increase enemy encounters.
Replace a few one liners with more current, appropriate ones. Bring back the original Ego health system design. The system from Manhattan Project, killing enemies and such gives ego. Picking up shit... takes away ego.

The thing is, there is a good game in DNF, it's just hindered by some questionable design... and poor decisions. Despite the wide spread hate, it's not a bad game. And it's definitely not the "worst shooter ever". Hell, it wasn't even the worst FPS that year.

There is always a demand for Duke.
And, a version of DNF that improved on the original and made it better. Made it more Duke... would be worth it.

View PostTea Monster, on 21 February 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

Doing stuff like changing Las Vegas to night-time would be a lot of work and would not fall within the remit of a 'remaster'. What you are suggesting would be a great fan project. When (read as "if") Fred and Randy release the mod tools for DNF, then I fully expect a team to assemble and right some wrongs.

Convincing any kind of business enterprise that pouring money into remastering the existing DNF is just straight-up not going to happen. Nuh-uh son.

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 21 February 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

[...] As for DNF, some late shows used to be filmed during the day, and then aired at night. That could've been the thought behind it, but, yes... most of the time Duke getting knocked out was to cover a time transition.
Which is fine. But, moving the Vegas levels to day time was a mistake. Seems like an odd choice, specially since the pre-release footage showed the vegas stuff at night.

I mean, I'm glad they changed the opening stadium level from day to night, and added the rain. It really looked good.
But, moving those Vegas level to day just made them look rather boring and flat. Which, in real life, Vegas during day... does look pretty boring. The city comes to life at night, when the neon shines and the casinos really glow. But, why set your game in such an iconic location, but not show that location as most people know it?

Well, the feasibility of that depends largely on how much of it already exists. DNF had a lot of close-to last-minute changes to make it run on consoles, both admitted and unconfirmed ones. Considering the game barely runs on consoles anyway I find it likely that they're true too.

- As Wieder have pointed out, the change to daytime was probably - again - due to performance reasons - they simply couldn't afford to light it properly.
- Likewise, in addition to the levels being hacked apart into fragments, reportedly they were also cut to ribbons to even fit in memory and there were originally more secret areas, dead-ends and explorable nooks and crannies.
- Weapon-limitation replaced the weapon inventory for the sake of controllers, which led to 100% ammo pickups, which I believe led to lower ammo caps and ammo crates.
- I remember people complaining that textures in the final game were seemingly lower in quality to what had been shown before.
- Regenerating health was another late change that the game was never designed for, and there definitely was a Manhattan Project-style ego system.
- Quite possibly enemy count, especially concurrent enemy count, has been lowered for the same reasons.

We don't know how much of this stuff exists or can be retrieved, to what degree it could be considered done or usable, or how much work it would be to patch it back in - what we can know is that there had been a considerable amount on work done on stuff that was cut, not necessarily because of quality concerns or lack of time, but because of console limitations. And as said, the game barely even runs on consoles as it is, anything more would be likely to break it, so I find it very realistic that this is all true.

Ideally, as much as possible of this would be restored. In a perfect world Dylan would also be changed "back" to Bombshell as it was intended; anyone who liked Dylan is a dick.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 01 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

0

#24

View Postnecroslut, on 01 March 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:



Well, the feasibility of that depends largely on how much of it already exists. DNF had a lot of close-to last-minute changes to make it run on consoles, both admitted and unconfirmed ones. Considering the game barely runs on consoles anyway I find it likely that they're true too.



Well, they also hired a really poor studio to handle porting the games to consoles.
0

User is offline   Zaxx 

#25

View Postnecroslut, on 01 March 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Since DNF reportedly has very little actual Unreal code left, and they branched off like at the UE1.5 point, I don't know if porting it to UE4 would be feasible...

That's it really. These "port this to UE4" requests pop up often these days because UE4 was designed in a way where porting UE3 games to the new engine is generally not a hard thing to do. Anything that's not UE3 is basically impossible (without essentially remaking the game that is) and even UE3 was modified so heavily over the years by various dev studios that porting to UE4 is not always a walk in the park.
0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#26

I'd prefer to see the September 2002 build of DNF be released with tools and/or source for the community to work with.

This post has been edited by Striker: 02 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

0

#27

View PostZaxx, on 01 March 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

That's it really. These "port this to UE4" requests pop up often these days because UE4 was designed in a way where porting UE3 games to the new engine is generally not a hard thing to do. Anything that's not UE3 is basically impossible (without essentially remaking the game that is) and even UE3 was modified so heavily over the years by various dev studios that porting to UE4 is not always a walk in the park.


Exactly.
To really make DNF shine, it would have to be remade almost from the ground up in UE3 or 4.
The cobbled together engine 3DRealms built out of Unreal Engine for DNF is not an ideal tool.

I still think there's a solid game in DNF, and that was possibly my biggest disappointment. You could see so much potential in the game, but it was hindered by poor design decisions, engine limitations... and rough edges.
I definitely have a version in my head that I think would be great, built from the existing game.... but, I know it will never happen.

It's fun to dream.


And yes, I second the hopes of the 2002 build getting released.
0

#28

Some compromises would have to made, you put a single stripper in the game and the ensuing public meltdown from the "perpetually outraged" would turn half the planet into molten slag. That initial scene where one of the Holsom twins is just about done giving Duke a blowjob would have people in pitchforks nowadays.

This post has been edited by 3rdmillhouse: 24 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

0

#29

View Post3rdmillhouse, on 24 March 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

Some compromises would have to made, you put a single stripper in the game and the ensuing public meltdown from the "perpetually outraged" would turn half the planet into molten slag. That initial scene where one of the Holsom twins is just about done giving Duke a blowjob would have people in pitchforks nowadays.

My reaction to that would be to make a game (or a special edition of DNF) with even more offensive stuff. Have the aliens attack antifa activists promoting equal rights for aliens! Have a mob of pigcops anally rape angry soccer moms protesting violence and sexual content in video games! Name the leader of the aliens Yahweh! Have the aliens' base in Vatican City, and have Duke drop a nuke on it!

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 25 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

0

User is offline   Phredreeke 

#30

I'm surprised you didn't say Kaaba...

I don't want Duke becoming the next Postal though.
3

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options