Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] HECTIC REALMS DEMO - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] HECTIC REALMS DEMO  "The spiritual successor of WG Realms"

User is online   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer
  • 663

#31

Well I think some editing privileges should be given to modders and creators (like me XD) at least to edit main posts.
0

User is online   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer
  • 663

#32

View PostMicky C, on 25 February 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

I finished the demo. I agree with previous posts that some of the level transitions were quite abrupt and without warning which isn't idea.


A good or bad idea? I still don't get why the players want to backtrack even if they don't need to, I could put a secret path to returning to said spots but I can't see any purpose for that design wise speaking.

View PostMicky C, on 25 February 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

I didn't have too much trouble finding my way; it's always nice to do a bit of exploration.


The idea is giving more freedom and openess the more you advance further in the game, ending in bigger non linnear maps.
0

User is online   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer
  • 663

#33

Thanks Mblackwell for editing the main post! I just would like to have the bold and big wetransfer link replaced with the MODDB link to avoid confusion, I'd do it my self but :rolleyes:
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor
  • 3,798

#34

View PostMike Norvak, on 26 February 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

A good or bad idea? I still don't get why the players want to backtrack even if they don't need to, I could put a secret path to returning to said spots but I can't see any purpose for that design wise speaking.


The idea is giving more freedom and openess the more you advance further in the game, ending in bigger non linnear maps.


I meant to write "ideal". If players don't expect it to be a map transition and haven't fully explored the current map, or feel that they haven't, then they might feel blindsided, especially if there's no indication of being in a dead end with the only way forward being to go to the next level.

Perhaps there should be a prompt with a "level end" symbol on the hud, requiring the user to press use to proceed or something.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!
0

User is offline   Player Lin 

  • 254

#35

View PostMike Norvak, on 25 February 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

Well I think some editing privileges should be given to modders and creators (like me XD) at least to edit main posts.


It would give us the privileges again, just when they're done.

I'm the guy at 3DRealms Forum...

http://forums.3dreal...mber.php?u=3816

Sometimes, I act like a stupid asshole. I know, and I'm sorry about that. :(
0

User is online   Mike Norvak 

  • Music Producer
  • 663

#36

View PostMicky C, on 26 February 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

I meant to write "ideal". If players don't expect it to be a map transition and haven't fully explored the current map, or feel that they haven't, then they might feel blindsided, especially if there's no indication of being in a dead end with the only way forward being to go to the next level.

Perhaps there should be a prompt with a "level end" symbol on the hud, requiring the user to press use to proceed or something.


Sorry, I didn't get your point before. Well, what I'm gonna do is put a broadcast texture faking to show the next level, so it's clear the player is gonna be transported somewhere, then I can use the door transition effect to transport the player to a sector where the map change takes places (the player would need to press E) and finally I'm gonna replace the "door" effect icon with a more explanatory symbol suggesting you can't come back.

Something like this:

https://encrypted-tb...a0vM3n4bToj2Sf1

Normal doors won't show this symbol.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 27 February 2018 - 03:28 AM, said:



Oh it's OK then


This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 27 February 2018 - 06:26 AM

0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options