Duke4.net Forums: NPC girl sprites - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NPC girl sprites

View PostFantinaikos, on 08 February 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

This is the palette listing and the different effects depending on the settings. Should work both for sprite and highres contents.

http://wiki.eduke32....te_(environment)

Palette data file documentation

http://wiki.eduke32....ette_data_files

In some cases the base color is blue. For ex: use pal 15 to turn blue into brown.

If I'm reading this correctly, there's only around 25 palette swaps? Most of which are using blue. I can't use brown because that would change skin color too. Also I think the first link is broken.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 08 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

Use "copy link" by the right mouse button and include also the white parentheses at the end, for some reason the forum refuse to include that in the link. (or search trough the Eduke Wiki

Anyway, these are some quick PAL indication I have found by myself starting from blue resource, some aren't even listed. Your result may differ from the mine, much depends on the starting resource.

Pal 0 Default/no changes

Pal 1 Grey

Pal 2 Red (sometimes Grey)

Pal 4 Grey

Pal 5 Grey

Pal 6 Grey

Pal 7 Grey

Pal 8 Night Vision Googles Green

Pal 10 Red (sometimes Dark Red)

Pal 11 Green

Pal 12 Grey

Pal 13 Grey

Pal 14 Green (sometimes Dark Green)

Pal 15 Brown

Pal 16 Blue

Pal 17 Blue (sometimes Dark Blue)

Pal 18 Grey

Pal 19 Red (Not sure, the initial resource was green in this case)

Pal 20 Grey

Pal 21 Red

Pal 22 Green

Pal 23 Yellow

Pal 24 Red

Pal 25 Red

Pal 30 (I don't remember this)

Pal 31 (I don't remember this)

I remeber even a purple one, but it was only under a particular condition I d'ont remember. Something around the grey or brown PAL I think or the 30/31.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 08 February 2018 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 08 February 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

I have a question. How does changing colors work for in game sprites? I know the default for sprites is that cloudy blue. If I was to make an NPC girl with a blue shirt but a hair color that is also changeable, what color could work? Red? Green? I would like it so that modders don't have to stick with brunettes and beg for me to make a specific variant.

As you can see from this list, it's mainly the blue spectrum that changes on palette swaps, unless you are changing the entire sprite to a different color.

I suppose you could give her black hair with a blue streak in it, then it would stay black but the streak would change color. Might look cool.

Initial Stripper animation test with no photoshop. She will be able to be seen at all 8 angles. I also went ahead did the cheerleader dance as a potential 3rd dance. I may include the karaoke dance and 1 or 2 more original ones. I did a boob tassel animation but that requires actual drawing so that's not ready to be seen yet.
Original dance
Attached Image: stripperanim1.gif
Attached Image: stripperanim2.gif
Attached Image: stripperanim3.gif
Pole Dance
Attached Image: stripperanim4.gif
Cheerleader Dance
Attached Image: stripperanim5.gif

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 08 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

Those look great. My only criticism is that the head size and facial features seem a little too cartoonish for the gritty style of the original sprites and textures.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think there's an element of pelvic thrust that's present in the original sprite that is not really pronounced in this animation.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 08 February 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

Those look great. My only criticism is that the head size and facial features seem a little too cartoonish for the gritty style of the original sprites and textures.

Should the head be smaller? I plan to draw over the face and hair a little to match the original a little more.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 February 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

I think there's an element of pelvic thrust that's present in the original sprite that is not really pronounced in this animation.

I think I fixed that after posting these. But I'll let you all decide when I show another round. I have a sprite sheet almost completely laid out.

Updated stripper animation test. More hip swing, smaller head, more hair, thicker and shorter arms. Again, no photoshop yet.

Attached Image: stripper1.gif
Attached Image: stripper2.gif
Attached Image: stripper3.gif

User is online   Mark 

I reached into my wallet and brought out some one dollar bills while looking at those. Good job.

Is it possible to give her a gun so she can follow you and help? Would be alot more interesting than a screaming girl who hides. :s

Please add stayput for the NPC girl and the liztroup boss.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 09 February 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Is it possible to give her a gun so she can follow you and help? Would be alot more interesting than a screaming girl who hides. :s

Please add stayput for the NPC girl and the liztroup boss.

I remember when I was a kid there was a rumor that you could free the podbabes somehow and she would don a police uniform and go around shooting the aliens. Something like the guards in Half-Life.

• Duke Plus Developer

Making NPCs shoot aliens and making aliens shoot back at the NPCs is something I have had plenty of practice with. It's totally feasible but it's a fair amount of work and requires putting fancy code in a lot of places. Let's just say that it would be quite far down on the priority list of things to do with sebabdukeboss art.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 February 2018 - 03:35 AM, said:

Making NPCs shoot aliens and making aliens shoot back at the NPCs is something I have had plenty of practice with. It's totally feasible but it's a fair amount of work and requires putting fancy code in a lot of places. Let's just say that it would be quite far down on the priority list of things to do with sebabdukeboss art.

For something like that, I would reserve that for a EDF soldier NPC or a uninfected LARD.

User is offline   jet_nick 

A Lard unfected will be interesting. With coding an enemies that infect a man that became a pig man.

First pass at a NPC guy:

Attached Image: man1.png

Looking great (y)

Hey I was thinking maybe a couple casually standing and puffing on a cigarette frames would be cool? for both NPC sprites?

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 11 February 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

First pass at a NPC guy:

Your animations are very high quality, as usual! In my opinion it would be better if Randy were wearing a suit jacket, instead of that blocky blue shirt. You could get the pal swap color changes in a couple of ways -- You could make the suit jacket blue (I would go with a navy blue towards the darker end of the swappable blue spectrum), or you make the jacket grey and then give him a blue tie or skip the tie and give him a blue shirt that is visible underneath the jacket. Although the tie/shirt would only be visible from the front or a little from 45 degrees.

EDIT: Also I like the cigarette idea. It would give the NPCs more character and it's a good fit in the Duke universe.

EDIT2: And to be clear, I would be happy to use it as-is without the suit jacket.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 11 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

User is online   Mark 

Hey TD. I forgot to ask. When I cut the sprite sheet manually and created the separate tiles, were they aligned properly or did you have to do a lot of offsetting?

Impressive work with the male NPC sprite sheet! And I have to agree with Trooper Dan; the face on the blueshirt does look a bit familiar.... :dukecigar:

View PostMajor Tom, on 12 February 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

Impressive work with the male NPC sprite sheet! And I have to agree with Trooper Dan; the face on the blueshirt does look a bit familiar.... :dukecigar:

Hmm... I just searched for a random rigged 3ds max model that was easy to work with. So what game is he from????

I can definitely do a texture swap to give him a suit. That should be easy. And I can do a cig puffing too.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 12 February 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

Hmm... I just searched for a random rigged 3ds max model that was easy to work with. So what game is he from????

I can definitely do a texture swap to give him a suit. That should be easy. And I can do a cig puffing too.

No idea where the model originally came from....but it's hilarious that he bears such a resemblance to a certain Duval Magic....

So it looks like "him" huh? Coincidence but funny at the same time. If I get the suit skin working well, it will be real easy to make 2 more variants with the color tie and color shirt.

I think I'm closing the loop on the NPC stripper and karaoke girl. I envision them able to run around like the regular NPC girl but can be "paid" to do different dances or maybe follow the player.
If I applied the same ideas to the prostitute (Jill) what would she do when Duke gives her money? Of course the perv in me would like to do a "prostitute" XXX animation but for consistency for the game, maybe she could give him a kiss that could restore health? I don't know yet...

Perform a twerk dance I guess, considering that Duke still use the standard "you wanna dance" and "shake it baby" lines for her.

The health regeneration thing may turn the game too easy as there would be an infinite recharge, unless you confer the same propertyes of broken hydrant, fountain and broken WC that works only when the health is really low.

• The Sarien Encounter

Regenerating health from a broken hydrant/fountain/etc only works when you are on low health? Are you sure? That doesn't sound right...

In truth they can also restores 1 point to a maximum of 100 under the right conditions. Some mods just arrive at 50 points only for balancing.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 12 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I never knew. I'm a vanilla guy.

User is online   Mark 

Hey Seb. When you posed and captured the model for separate sprites, did you have high res 32 bit versions and then knock them down? If so would you consider releasing the high res ones for the non-software mode modders?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

This kinda reminds me of the dog food in Wolf3d

View PostMark., on 12 February 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Hey Seb. When you posed and captured the model for separate sprites, did you have high res 32 bit versions and then knock them down? If so would you consider releasing the high res ones for the non-software mode modders?

I usually just render 120x120 frames and put them all on a sheet to photoshop. I can always bump up the resolution. What would non software modders want them for?

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 12 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

I can see the value of having high definition sprites instead of models, but I don't agree that it has anything to do with the software renderer vs. 32-bit modes. I for one never use the software renderer, even if I'm using 8-bit assets.

The NPC sprites are already significantly higher res than similar assets in the game. To make the female NPC about the same size as Duke in game, I have to shrink her down quite a bit.

Here is what the front facing standing sprites look like side by side:

Posted Image

This is already pushing the boundary of having the sprites look too detailed in comparison to the rest of the original game world.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that the choice of resolution depends on your particular project and the rest of the assets you are using and should not be determined by the renderer being used. All the renderers can handle both low and high resolution sprites.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options