Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's moot anyway. I doubt this is going to go anywhere, ever.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 November 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

It's moot anyway. I doubt this is going to go anywhere, ever.

Yeah, unless there's a new game that's a major hit I can't see anyone willing to put up the money for it.

I always thought that Schwarzy or Lundgren (some years ago, when they were youngers) would have been the best choices for a Duke movie, exception for the voice, maybe.
Just spray their hairs and give'em Wayfarers sunglasses and Duke face is almost there, even if his grimaces i think are more from Clint Eastwood

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 13 November 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

I always thought that Schwarzy or Lundgren (some years ago, when they were youngers) would have been the best choices for a Duke movie, exception for the voice, maybe.
Just spray their hairs and give'em Wayfarers sunglasses and Duke face is almost there, even if his grimaces i think are more from Clint Eastwood

Dolph could have done a good enough Duke voice, and he certainly had the looks. I still think he could pull it off, Duke was never a teenybopper.

• Judge Mental

View Postnecroslut, on 13 November 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Yeah, unless there's a new game that's a major hit I can't see anyone willing to put up the money for it.

Years ago, 2008ish, when this topic came up on the 3D Realms forums I said it was pretty much a cart-before-the-horse scenario.

Duke is a video game character, who hasn't had a major success since 1998. Time to Kill sold well enough to warrant a greatest hits re-release. I don't have any numbers on Zero Hour, but that's pretty much the last time the King was... The King.

You need a game that's decent to warrant a film. Nobody will go see a Duke Nukem Movie if there's no foundation for the character to start with.

So really, everyone that is creatively involved with Duke should be focusing on getting a team together to make a Duke Nukem game...

...And they better do it soon because even Jon St John is showing signs of CLINICAL DEPRESSION.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hahahah, holy shit. I love you Commando. The Trump Derangement Syndrome is not treating JSJ well to say the least.

• Judge Mental

Shit, I wish I was kidding. He's had a few posts on facebook the last few days that have legitimately worried me. He was taking a break from facebook, and then he's made allusions to being in a bad place. I like Jon, he's a cool guy. He treats his fans well. He deserves to be in a better place in life than that.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 November 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

Years ago, 2008ish, when this topic came up on the 3D Realms forums I said it was pretty much a cart-before-the-horse scenario.

Duke is a video game character, who hasn't had a major success since 1998. Time to Kill sold well enough to warrant a greatest hits re-release. I don't have any numbers on Zero Hour, but that's pretty much the last time the King was... The King.

You need a game that's decent to warrant a film. Nobody will go see a Duke Nukem Movie if there's no foundation for the character to start with.

So really, everyone that is creatively involved with Duke should be focusing on getting a team together to make a Duke Nukem game...

...And they better do it soon because even Jon St John is showing signs of CLINICAL DEPRESSION.

I don't quite agree there, you can have a hit movie out of an obscure to mainstream property, or a flop on a popular property. Plenty of game moves like Assassin's Creed based on very popular current game franchises didn't do well. Rampage, a generic blockbuster very very loosely based on an old arcade game (also starring a wrestler) made a good bit more money.

So, I think a Duke Nukem movie getting made is something to go for, since even when Duke was very popular it got stuck in Hollywood production hell. Since there's traction and somebody wants to make the movie, and somebody who is in a good place (Cena is in the Bumblebee Transformers movie etc) wants to star in it, strike while you can. Even if the iron isn't necessarily hot. If the movie is decent it may catch on and make some money, and as we know sometimes movies make money anyway even if they're pretty dumb.

That all said, money aside, I'm hoping for a fun bit of action B-movie schlock that keeps some of the Duke's appeal in there. At the very least, I dig that they're trying it.

• Judge Mental

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 24 November 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

I don't quite agree there, you can have a hit movie out of an obscure to mainstream property, or a flop on a popular property

Your chances of success increase when the primary platform for a character have a currently positive track record.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 24 November 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

even when Duke was very popular it got stuck in Hollywood production hell. Since there's traction and somebody wants to make the movie,

There's no indication of there being any traction. It sounds like they got as far as they did when it was The Rock in the cards for the role. The first time they tried was the strongest attempt they had at it. Duke 3D was at least fresh in everyone's minds and Duke still had games coming out and toys on shelf pegs. If you don't think having a strong consumer base is important you are gravely mistaken. It's foolhardy.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I don't see why you worry, after all Duke Nukem have a strong mark in the pop culture, just look at Ready Player One !

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The Rock was going to be Duke at one point? What a horrible choice.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 24 November 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

Your chances of success increase when the primary platform for a character have a currently positive track record.

There's no indication of there being any traction. It sounds like they got as far as they did when it was The Rock in the cards for the role. The first time they tried was the strongest attempt they had at it. Duke 3D was at least fresh in everyone's minds and Duke still had games coming out and toys on shelf pegs. If you don't think having a strong consumer base is important you are gravely mistaken. It's foolhardy.

We're just making predictions on if this John Cena Duke movie would make money today. I don't think I'm gravely mistaken, but hey we can find out when/if this movie gets made. :rolleyes: I gave an example of the Assassin's Creed movie not doing well, and there are many many movies adapted from something people overall aren't overly familiar with that have done well regardless. I can see your logic, but I don't think it's that cut and dry, and buying games and showing up for a movie aren't the exact same audience anyway necessarily. It can help, but a movie really is it's own thing, and stands on it's own merits and marketing.

And even if the movie did come out without making much money, like say Dredd (2012). Well, at least we may have an entertaining movie. In either area, making money or being entertaining, stranger things have happened.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 25 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   Master O 

Regardless, this movie is going to be terrible, so why bother going to watch it?

User is offline   Mark 

Regardless, its only your opinion. You don't know yet. I have enjoyed many movies that friends or reviewers didn't like.

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

User is offline   VGA 

An action movie with aliens and futuristic weapons with a macho, politically incorrect antihero? Shit sounds expensive, there is no way anyone is going to finance this, anyone who does a check on the Duke Nukem franchise will realise what a dud it is. If you can't move a few million video games then how will Hollywood invest in you?

There are tons of better ideas and ready-made scripts for movies that never see the light, you serious? This is only possible if a very successful multi-platform game comes out and some quotes go viral on the net :rolleyes:

As I said : not to worry, Duke Nukem is very present in the pop culture, just look at Ready Player One !

Why, because he was killed by AECH in the artefact hunt at the beginning ?

Some news : https://variety.com/...cer-1203085614/

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 11 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

“He’s a parody of 1980s action heroes and he’s like Deadpool in terms of being able to break the fourth wall,” Harran said. “We see a lot of humor in his confronting the values of today while trying to save the world.”

Um, what? Can someone give me an example of that? Maybe at the beginning of DNF when he beats the "game"? I wouldn't call that typical of his character though. And I still refute that he's a "parody" of any kind. Though that's probably the only way they could successfully pitch the character. He's more of an homage inspired by 80s action heroes. I gotta say, the idea of using Duke in a manner to poke fun at 80s action heroes is annoying and a little worrying.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

They assert that the brawny Nukem — who uses catchphrases like “piece of cake,” “see you hell” and “so help me Duke” — has solid potential as a live-action movie character.

Who can forget, "So help me Duke." Classic line! This will be a film all right. :)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I see you, Hell

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Duke Nukem first appeared in the 1991 eponymous video game, developed by Apogee Software, as a muscular cigar-chomping man who always wears Ray-Bans

There are no cigars nor sunglasses in Duke 1, that's a fact. I hope this is just the editors at Variety being incompetent.

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 25 November 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

I don't see why you worry, after all Duke Nukem have a strong mark in the pop culture, just look at Ready Player One !

Oh yeah. Appearing for half a second in a blur. That's a REAL STRONG PRESENCE.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 November 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

The Rock was going to be Duke at one point? What a horrible choice.

I'd take Rock over Cena. Rock may not necessarily be a great actor or a good fit for Duke (per se), but he has presence and charisma. Cena is a piece of wood.

Also hahahaha. I knew this would fall apart. Again. Michael Bay's company saw they couldn't make it work and bailed.

It's a fucking train wreck waiting to happen. Primarily because none of these people would know how to translate the character properly.

RE: 4th Wall. There are certain references in the game that are 4th wall breakers. "What are you waiting for, Christmas?" And the Duke Nukem 2, and the Lunar Apocalypse being made into a movie are at least pseudo 4th wall breaks.

Duke also talks directly to the player in Manhattan Project during the final boss battle. Along with making references to making someone pay for him having to find keycards.(He's very obviously not talking about Morphix, he's taking an irreverent jab at the game designers.)

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe. But he's not "like Deadpool" at all. Like, at all.

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 December 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Maybe. But he's not "like Deadpool" at all. Like, at all.

Well no. For one thing the real core of the Deadpool character is actually tragic, and pretty fucked up.

Duke doesn't really have that kind of a contrasting core. He is who he is.

View Postgemeaux333, on 25 November 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

Oh yeah. Appearing for half a second in a blur. That's a REAL STRONG PRESENCE.

Sure, even for a split second its a strong presence, and just as the air hockey chalenger said in titty city : "there is no harm losing against the best"

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 December 2018 - 09:05 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

No. It wasn't a strong presence at all. Couldn't even see his face. Very few would have recognized him. Even fans. If it wasn't pointed out by people looking for him in the first place because the news came from Randy that they were licensing the character for the movie, extremely few would have even batted an eye.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I was specifically looking out for Duke in that movie, and knew where he’d be, however even I missed his appearance because it was so damn short.

Come on, don't need a PHD from Harvard to find out it is Duke, especially with his big RPG and his haircut and dresses...

And besides, like Winona Ryder usually says : "Wathever matter in a role is not its importance, but its consistance", and the time of presence doesn't matter more

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 12 December 2018 - 04:35 PM, said:

Come on, don't need a PHD from Harvard to find out it is Duke, especially with his big RPG and his haircut and dresses...

And besides, like Winona Ryder usually says : "Wathever matter in a role is not its importance, but its consistance", and the time of presence doesn't matter more

No. Just no.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options