Duke4.net Forums: Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood Reporter: John Cena in Talks to Star in Duke Nukem

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Here's what would be an interesting approach: Duke played by John Cena but voiced by Jon St. John. I don't think Cena would agree to that though.

User is offline   DNV 

Good fan art! However I think the best way to realize Duke Nukem movie is to create a 3D movie like Final Fantasy etc.
And I have doubts about John Cena. But I see something similar between this art and my photo on the avatar :dukecigar:

Posted Image

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 January 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

Doom was seriously rated R? Could've fooled me...

Yes, for the lamest possible reasons: the cussing, and a scene with a naked mutilated female zombie. What happened was that the producers took the easy way out and thought of the laziest possible way to get an R rating, convinced that the rating alone would make it a success.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Rock said the F word once in the entire movie. That was it.

I don't get why Hollywood has to take good ideas that made the games popular to begin with and mess with them. The whole idea about Doom being so great was that you actually fight demons from actual hell. But they changed it to good and evil genes and metamorphed evil creatures. Retarded. It's the hubris to think you can make such a drastic artistic change on such an established IP. Hopefully they won't do the same thing with Duke. Even if it does end up being crap, it'd be better if it was at least authentic.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 22 January 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

Regardless of quality, having a live-action film would certainly be a huge boost for the brand, but there's no movie at this stage. They don't even have a script, director, or star attached. In the extremely unlikely event that this news ever materializes into a actual film, it'll be years away.

Do you think we'll get this movie or a new game first? :dukecigar:

I know I'm not wth the majority here, but I really hope that the Duke movie won't be rated R. The reasoning being that producers would think "Okay, what's the thing that would trigger an R rating with the least amount of effort and money?" Instead, if they go for PG-13, they would think "Okay, what can we get away with that makes people go "OMG" and still doesn't trigger an R rating?"

User is offline   leilei 

Ratings don't define a movie. Paramount is desperate though, so hitting that wider demographic is a smarter idea.

besides, 3d Realms once planned Duke Forever to have "hard PG-13" content way back in the day. Duke wasn't about the F-word or actual bare boobs at one point earlier in time. Also you can have a pretty brutal PG-13 film when the point of carnage isn't depicted against realistic humans, though this all really depends on the context. It's not like the ESRB or TV ratings where it's based on absolute content intensity.

It's going to bomb anyway, or maybe not happen at all. Plenty of action movie history exists to make a live-action Duke movie feel redundant, and if they call back to the same old oneliner references it's probably potential legal trouble as well.

This post has been edited by leilei: 23 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostAltered Reality, on 23 January 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

The Dark Knight = PG-13
Doom (the movie) = R

Which one was the borefest?

Anybody can cherry pick movies. Proves nothing.

Which alien killing movie was a bore fest?

Aliens or Predator

Which mad scientist movie was a bore fest?

Zaat or Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Wow, did not see this coming.

Well atleast Cena is physically very fit to do the Duke role, so that's good decision to possibly audition him.

I wonder if there is gonna be any focus on the audio side if Cena were to be picked? Are they gonna put Cena to practice some Duke-like voicing or is it gonna be dubbed or just mainly ignored? Who knows, time will tell I guess..

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 22 January 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

When he says "Oh" at 1:50, it seems like he could have it within him to pull the voice off.

Definitely man. He seems to be pretty good with the voicing and personally I found some Duke likeness on https://youtu.be/lJyG6Gu8wRM?t=45 aswell. I think this could be pretty awesome because like I said already above.. he has the physical ability to play him and to me it seems like it's quite possible for him to learn the voicing too. Wow now I'm even more excited about this :dukecigar:

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostForge, on 23 January 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Which alien killing movie was a bore fest?
Aliens or Predator

What's the point here, exactly?
None of the R rated action films mentioned in this thread were boobfests.
It's all about violence and harsh language.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 23 January 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

I feel like putting a Duke movie out before another game in the series is putting the wagon before the horse somewhat. I love Duke, you love Duke, everyone here loves Duke, but even within the confines of the brand loyal fanbase there is dissenting opinion about the concept of a Duke Nukem movie. To the general audiences? We're 7 years removed from Duke Nukem Forever, and 22 years removed from Duke 3D, and World Tour didn't seem to make too big of a splash when it dropped. Do John and Jane Q Public care about Duke enough to see an video game adaptation, ostensibly based on the action films of three decades ago?

I know this is Randy's biggest concern right now, and why he's been trying to do these little side projects with the character to try and build him back up in public consciousness, and, hey, I'll be there on opening day if a Duke Nukem movie ever makes it to theatres- but, again, I just feel like this is the wrong first step.

also John Cena is fine casting as far as im concerned, as long as they get the costume right. Hope to see him chomping on a big cigar lol

Yeah that will be a tricky situation... what story would they even base it off? The obvious choice would be Duke 3D, but that game is so old now. Duke Nukem Forever's story isn't really a good choice for an adaptation for a number of reasons. Neither is a prequel. And a video game-based movie has a hard time enough when it's at its peak, releasing a movie based on a series that isn't only old and inactive but have had its reputation seriously harmed, that seems like it could bomb even if the movie was (as unlikely as that is) great.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 January 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

Everyone seems to have the wrong impression of what Duke Nukem is in the public. All over Twitter they're destroying the very idea of this movie already because of what Duke Nukem Forever was, which has tainted the memory of Duke3D. Someone actually said "if you enjoyed Duke3D then you're a tasteless a**hole". Clearly that person has never played the game. Also, everyone's calling it an "action-comedy". I couldn't disagree more with a direction for a Duke movie or that concept of Duke as a whole. He's an 80s-style action hero who cracks one-liners. It's not a comedy any more than Die Hard or Commando is.

Spot on. I'd even claim Commando was considerably more of an action-comedy than Duke 3D is/was. I've always imagined a Duke movie (of the 90's) being largely similar (in tone) to Dolph Lundgren's "I Come In Piece" (a Predator 2/urban Predator ripoff, basically) - suited up aliens, some gore, one liners, moody soundtrack and cinematography and a quick strip club scene, with a typical 80's/90's action/scifi/thriller-with-a-dash-of-horror atmosphere with an attitude.

But then, Hollywood almost never makes game adaptations in the vein of their (usually very obvious) movie inspirations, because it's run by morons and games are typically based on last year's movie trends anyway.

View PostX-Vector, on 24 January 2018 - 01:18 AM, said:

I do think it really should be R, but not for the nudity. Of course, Red Light District is such an iconic game level so it would make a lot of sense to have a romp through a strip club and sex shop, and their architecture could make for some good and fun action scenes, but there doesn't have to be - and in my opinion shouldn't be - a ton of nudity all over. The violence, on the other hand, I would consider non-negotiable. The detailed gore of Duke 3D was an important part of its presentation. Of course, most of it is directed towards aliens and mutants, so maybe you could still get away with a lower rating, I don't really know where they draw the line.

Well, I don't have any confidence in Platinum Dunes either way.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 24 January 2018 - 03:00 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostX-Vector, on 24 January 2018 - 01:18 AM, said:

which storyline (antagonist) would be boring
dr, proton mad scientist
-or-
aliens

Someone used borefest to describe PG-13 video-game movies. They (not I) also suggested that if it could get into the R rated realm, it might be better. I quipped that the vs. alien could be an R rated "boobfest" instead of a "borefest".
Simple minds latched onto the quip instead of the premise.
Now you know why there were wall-boobs in DNF.
Mystery solved.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 January 2018 - 05:24 AM

View PostForge, on 23 January 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

My point was that an R rating is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition to make a good Duke movie. If enough people say they want the Duke movie to be a "boobfest", the producers will say: "Okay, they want boobs, let's give them boobs. Let's not bother with trifles such as action, violence, good special effects or mindblowing scenes. Let's just give them boobs, and they will gobble it up."
Then, when such a movie comes out and it grants that request to the letter, the same people who wanted a boobfest will defecate their diarrhea all over the Internet and say "DUUURRRRRRR RUINED FOREVUURRRRRRRRR".

I have an idea. How about they make the movie without a rating in mind, and make it as Duke as possible, and then let the MPAA decide the rating later. That way they don't ruin by adding pointless things JUST to get the R rating, and they don't ruin it by watering it down JUST to get a PG-13 rating. :dukecigar:

• The Sarien Encounter

You clearly don't understand how Hollywood works these days.

User is offline   Toxic34 

I don't quite know what to make of this. Platinum Dunes and Michael Bay does not really translate into quality filmmaking. Don't get me wrong, I love The Rock and watch it continuously, but Bay is a one-trick pony, and he got tiresome quickly. Even things he doesn't have a direct hand in like the Platinum Dunes films are very much an extension of that.

I do think there is great potential in a Duke film, and it's very likely that Randy Pitchford and Gearbox probably pushed hard to get something like this to happen in order to move the needle for whatever the future of Duke holds.

I don't have very high expectations of the film as of this date, but I could very easily be wrong. I thought for sure that the Assassin's Creed film would be a knockout punch, and I was bitterly disappointed, as even their moves to be faithful to the series and very much show Abstergo Industries were overshadowed by the reliance on too much focus on the modern-day storyline, a ridiculous Animus design that was solely done to avoid comparisons to The Matrix (newsflash-it didn't work and the games always wore that influence on their sleeve), and a rushed and truncated film that doesn't come close to the feeling and investment of hours of gameplay.

But, if the movie doesn't turn out well, I don't think it would kill off Duke. Like one said earlier, the 2005 Universal Pictures film version of Doom didn't kill that series off, and it only came back bigger and better than ever with the 2016 title.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostToxic34, on 24 January 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

[...]
But, if the movie doesn't turn out well, I don't think it would kill off Duke. Like one said earlier, the 2005 Universal Pictures film version of Doom didn't kill that series off, and it only came back bigger and better than ever with the 2016 title.

The series got kinda buried for ten years, though.

User is offline   Sanek 

While seeing a Duke Nukem movie wil be interesting for sure, I don't think that actually making one is a good idea. I have a couple of reasons for that:

1. Video game-based movies generally suck.

2. While Paramount is one of the Hollywood's major studios, it's actually the smallest one in today's market. The studio struggle to make a good picture, and almost every potential blockbuster turned out out to be a major flop at the box office. It's really not the best choise to make a Duke Nukem movie - Universal or Warner is much better options.

3. Duke Nukem's image has been wrecked since DNF fiasco, and it's really way, way too late to make a Duke Nukem movie.

4. Duke Nukem's fanbase is very small, so it can't guarantee a big amount of audience coming in. Most people just don't know who Duke Nukem is.

Heck, it will make much more sense if they'll make a Serious Sam movie. Unlike Duke Nukem, Serious Sam is still a successful franchise with huge following...not starring pro-wrestler though.

View PostSanek, on 25 January 2018 - 02:26 AM, said:

While seeing a Duke Nukem movie wil be interesting for sure, I don't think that actually making one is a good idea. I have a couple of reasons for that:

1. Video game-based movies generally suck.

Just because video game based movies have sucked in the past, doesn't mean there's no hope for them at all.

3. Duke Nukem's image has been wrecked since DNF fiasco, and it's really way, way too late to make a Duke Nukem movie.

It'd probably be best to make a new game first, to reintroduce Duke to the public.

4. Duke Nukem's fanbase is very small, so it can't guarantee a big amount of audience coming in. Most people just don't know who Duke Nukem is.

Duke has a decent size fanbase, but not all of them are as outspoken as the good people of this forum. :dukecigar:

I just think it's good that we may be able to walk into a theater and see a Duke Nukem movie. Now hopefully it isn't bad like the Max Payne movie, but I'm glad they're giving it a try. John Cena is a fun choice, at least it's not Channing Tatum or something horrific like that. Not to give them ideas!

Fast paced alien blasting, over-the-top machismo and one-liners, and sure I'd go for Rated R if it's up to me, but hopefully they pull off a good tone and it's a badass romp. However it turns out, news like this is fun to see.

On Platinum Dunes, I found the 2009 Friday the 13th movie was pretty entertaining, and kind of retro. Their Ninja Turtles movie was appalling though, didn't see the second one. So this like anything could go either way, hopefully whichever writers land on this are solid, and somebody with the right idea makes it.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 25 January 2018 - 02:48 AM

User is offline   Noddy 

I think this movie could be what the franchise needs to get the word going about Duke Nukem, since there aren't any new games being made (WT to me is more an expansion pack). Musically Inspired mentioned that some people on twitter viewed Duke as an action comedy, even I viewed it as such when I was a kid. but when I look at it now, it's actually an action movie with some comedy scenes and they should make the movie with that in mind. I mean every great action movie, has some comedic scenes in it.

Just one question. If movie is successful, does that mean we will get game that is based on a movie, or not?
Also can John Cena pull off Duke's voice?

This post has been edited by Noddy: 25 January 2018 - 04:35 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNoddy, on 25 January 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

Also can John Cena pull off Duke's voice?

I think he can.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 22 January 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

Here's a video of him voice acting:

When he says "Oh" at 1:50, it seems like he could have it within him to pull the voice off.I remain neutral on the subject.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Cena has the look and I do think he could deliver the lines, his "Come get some" can work if he does a deeper version of it.
I believe JSJs belief that there are no bad actors, only bad directors and chances are that Cena's talents aren't going to be used right since the studio is likely to hire some nobody that can be controlled and he won't do a very good job.

Still I stand by the notion that Cena makes for some easy poster material:
Posted Image

User is offline   Maisth 

Whatever the case is the outcome for this movie, i would really like to see a new storyline, we've only seen 2 big baddies in the main series of Duke Nukem, Dr.Proton and Aliens (unless im missing out on some or one) i would like to see Duke fighting with a new threat instead of just re-using the same ones over and over again.

In the end it's the choice of the ones who are making up the movie and the script to decide whether they want to extend the Duke Nukem universe to new horizons.

I say, for the first movie, use the enemies people are familiar with, then when you do the sequels, bring in some new enemies... Maybe even the army ants from the early DNF build.

Okay, as a wrestling fan. I just can't see John Cena as Duke. Maybe he could pull it off, but his voice just isn't right for it and plus, it just doesn't quite fit him personality wise.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I think John Cena could do the job, I'd rather to see a CG movie, but I prefer the CG be spend on something more than just explosions and aliens in New York. Imho the only way to save a movie like this is not with screenplay, or main characters, not for a movie like this, but an incredible art direction like the fifth element or blade runner, if they get the correct poeole to work on that it would be wonderful, anyway I don't think they got the budget to get it done. Imagine some retro futuristic locations in the vein of cyberpunk conbined with gritty scenery. The art of Beeple is the first that comes to my mind.

https://goo.gl/images/8ShdQU

https://goo.gl/images/8ShdQU

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

John Cena to me is a very bad actor and a meathead. He's ugly too.
I know everybody has their idea of what Duke Nukem was and is so here's my idea of what I think Duke Nukem really is.
Duke Nukem to me, is a fusion of multiple Hollywood action stars like Arnold, Roddy Piper, Bruce Willis and a few others.
He's not even a sum of these actors but more like a collection of cool one liners and stereotypes all bundled together while his image is that of the perfect aryan man stereotype that was promoted in the nazi aryan propaganda.
Posted Image
I don't mean to say that whomever created him was a nazi nor a racist but him being a collection of macho stereotypes, seems to fit the bill.
The Blond haired, blue eyed well proportioned, fearless, smart, cool talking white male action hero.
The reality is that Duke Nukem is the absolute opposite image of what Hollywood wants to promote these days.
Hollywood is much too interested in promoting women action heroes and black heroes.
Duke Nukem is the ultimate insult to the political correct, SJW, Feminists and Black Lives Matter lobbyists.
Duke Nukem was cool because he was as politically incorrect as possible.

The reality is that most of the celebrities after which he's based on, are having a hard time shining themselves.
Arnold's post politics movie career is a joke and nobody takes him seriously anymore due to his age and due to how the times we are living in are forcing him to be so much more serious than he was.
Bruce Willis is a ghost too.

The 80's classic macho action heroes and male action heroes in general are frowned upon and looked at like they are meatheads.
Duke Nukem has no place left existin for the young generation that is brainwashed by hollywood with the politically correct bullshit.
Duke Nukem is only relevant to us old fans that lived in the 80's and 90's and grew up with this type of heroes and this type of humor.
Even I got bored of it and when I rewatch classic Action movies, most of the times the dialogue feels corny as shit.
For one, we've evolved culturally past the level of humor found in the 80's and 90's movies and Duke Nukem is just a collection of the old days and his jokes and muscles don't impress anybody anymore.

When I think and realize that muscly action hero type men used to be held in high regards even by myself, I wonder how the fuck did we end up where we are today.
The only muscly men that we can take serious these days, are super heroes such as Thor or Captain America.
There is no more room for classic action heroes, just super heroes.
While I do believe we have outgrown the 80's and 90's macho is cool stage, I also believe that we are manipulated into a wrong direction, where we have predominantly female and black heroes, even though females are not really suited to be heroes on a daily basis and blacks are minorities in the end when the line is drawn.
Why do we, a white majority of humans need to have black heroes instead of white ones? I don't have a problem with some black super heroes characters but hollywood is pushing it too far with their feminist agenda and their black lives matter bullshit.
Fucking games and movies left and right, recasting based on gender and race is a very common thing in hollywood now.

What he needs is a redo, where he's a pure badass that talks very little and has some cool stuff to say that makes him cool today not in the 90's

This post has been edited by Dacoolguy: 27 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

If a Duke Nukem CGI movie meant that Duke would sound like he does in the video above, I'm willing to give live-action a chance instead. If Jon was still delivering the lines like he did back in the Manhattan Project era, I'd back his petition 100%. I'm not saying I'm against it either, I'm just on the fence about it and not taking either side. I know I have friends who support him 100% on it and I get that. It's also understandable. If I was in Jon's position, I'd want to be the voice of the character forever.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options