Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Intergalactic Bounty Hunter? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Intergalactic Bounty Hunter?  "Duke Nukem + Prey 2 = Awesome!"

User is offline   xMobilemux 

So I've gone and watched multiple videos about Human Head's canceled Prey 2 every now and then and in between being furious at Bethesda for fucking it up and upset at the fact that there are SO few games about bounty hunters around, let alone space bounty hunters and being very doubtful of Gearbox and the future of Duke as his classic action hero self, I couldn't help but wonder........what if?
Posted Image
Prey 2 + Duke Nukem!!!

The possibilities are endless to how this could work.

Duke could still retain much of his badass persona as he hunts down criminal aliens, saves the universe and what not, hell he'd even score with women of different alien species and go to the strip clubs we saw in the Prey 2 demos.
It would offer something very new to the industry as Bounty Hunter games are so rare.

Every time I watch these videos I just imagine Duke properly implemented as the main character and wonder how much fun it would be, not the super famous or king of the world Duke, but classic "riding a motorcycle, going to a strip club at night" Duke in the Prey 2 setting.
It wouldn't be some crappy "guest star" shit that Gearbox does, but it would be a full game designed around Duke being an intergalactic bounty hunter.
It's so fun to think about and how it could work and how new it would be.

Thoughts?

User is offline   Maisth 

I like the idea of Prey 2, but i don't know if it would combine with Duke Nukem atleast in my eyes, Duke doesn't seem like a bounty hunter.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 23 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The only way it could work conceptually is if Earth grew tired of Duke and saw him as a bad guy despite his successful attempts to save them from what they don't understand is bad for them (that actually has some present day cultural significance). And so he is exiled from Earth and merely fights bad aliens throughout the universe, securing Earth's future and safety. But I agree a bounty hunter is not quite the character that Duke is. He'd just do it because that's what he likes doing and he's good at it...I can't see him "taking jobs". He just does it. I guess it would be a fine line. But just calling him a "bounty hunter" carries a connotation that doesn't suit him, even though he could easily assume the role.....maybe that would make sense in evolving Duke, though. Both as a character and through gameplay.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I guess I should have added that I don't think this concept of Duke as a Bounty Hunter should be part of the current franchise timeline, but rather a rebooted/redesigned version of Duke.
If Gearbox makes a new Duke Nukem game it's very likely to be a reboot as continuing the Douche Nukem timeline isn't something anyone wants and I don't know if they can go all Devil May Cry and make nothing but prequels to DNF.

I just believe that if Duke was going to be rebooted, turning him into a bounty hunter in space could work, especially if they took heavy inspiration from Prey 2.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's also the issue with Duke gameplay being tied to exploring modern (or neo-modern) locales and interacting with everyday environments that are familiar (not to mention the whole stripper thing, which honestly I'm fine with losing btw). I know there are a lot of alien-based duke levels, but it always STARTS on Earth. You could have this hypothetical Duke game start on Earth and then get exiled to alien space a la Prey 2, but that's not the same as having a whole game or episode (or two) based in every day environments. That's a huge chunk of Duke's familiarity lost right there to generic space sci-fi gaming. It's almost like some of that would have to be reimagined in some way to still seem like a Duke thing (area, gameplay mechanic, item, whatever) while not having seen it before at the same time. If that makes any sense.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah Duke always seemed more a defender of the Earth idea than a bounty hunter. Still it's an interesting concept, and IMO Duke does need some sort of reboot given the state and perception of the franchise.

What if it's set on an Earth in the not too distant future where humans and aliens are living together (mostly peacefully) after a failed alien invasion?

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMicky C, on 23 November 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

What if it's set on an Earth in the not too distant future where humans and aliens are living together (mostly peacefully) after a failed alien invasion?

That would be a pretty cool premise for a reboot. Like an Alien Nation (1988)-style scenario, where instead of Bombshell, Duke has to partner up with one of his sworn enemies: a pigcop working for EDF as an alien liaison. It's a situation that's ripe with dramatic conflict, and it's tonally consistent with the Duke universe, as it could reflect upon the old 80's action/buddy cop movie stereotypes like the unorthodox partnership (wacky loose cannon meets retiree) in Lethal Weapon.

That a badass picture I love it that how I look at Duke Nukem good looking badass

Hmmm... it could work for a spin of like Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Manhattan Project and Zero Hour. I can actually see an interesting story... I've only had a few minutes to think about this, but here's my few cents on the plot:

After years of defending Earth from Aliens and Mutants, Duke is relaxing in his hotel. He flips through the news, and realizes it's been years since there were any threats against the world. He comes to the realization that he's no longer needed to defend Earth. He goes to the strip club, and gets him a nice glass of whiskey, while watching a busty babe strip on the pole. With a bright flash Duke is transported to an Alien ship. The ship is in tatters, and a dying alien bounty hunter tells Duke of an impending attack on Earth, and it's up to Duke to hunt down the aliens before they get to Earth. So Duke dons some spiffy space gear, and goes a huntin'. Visiting some Alien strip clubs, Alien worlds, and busts some skulls. :D

This post has been edited by Never Forgotten: 25 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

The idea of Duke as a space bounty hunter would be cool. For example, the story could be that Earth had a sudden technological acceleration after the invasion in DNF, because scientists all over the world reverse-engineered alien technology, and interstellar travel is now feasible. So, the army builds a mothership and sends Duke to the Cycloids' homeworld to exterminate them. There, he discovers that Earth was not the Cycloids' only target, so he can accept missions from other aliens against the Cycloids.

User is offline   Sanek 

I like the idea of a bouny hunter-themed Duke game, but I don't think that it will work within the Duke's universe.
Duke Nukem is way too recognizable around the galaxy, so he can't dissolve into the crowd when he needs to.

User is online   Mark 

Wearing a hood works in all the movies and in real life. :D

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Hank 

After Bulletstorm and the World Tour, it is beyond me, why this poor Duke character still cain't get his own shining new game. :D

Is the entertainment industry out of ideas, here? Is Duke Nukem so bad, it has to be merged with yet another title? Prey is a very good game, but either make a new Duke Nukem game, or go fuck yourself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options