Duke4.net Forums: Will this corrupt my map? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will this corrupt my map?  "Attaching one group of sectors to another"

User is offline   BestViking 

Screenshot attached.

Will selecting the whole circular construct and attaching it onto the other construct corrupt my sectors and ruin my map file?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0007.png

User is offline   Zaxtor 

If you mean attaching those red rectangular sectors with the sprites to the circular thing.
I would prefer to make red lines to attach red to white.
Then 'J' (join the sector) to the newly made sector then delete the verticle (of the edge of your red rectangular sector with the sprites)

Then dragging them by 3 square of the current size of the grid

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 10 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

PS

It wont corrupt if you just move without doing anything but nothing will happen.
I did a quick test, it doesn't corrupt.

It's the circular thing that is to be moved, with alt-gr to be attached to the red sectors. I have made the vertices correspond. What makes me hesitate is if it will corrupt when I join the vertices, since a red wall and white wall meet.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the larger area so you can see it in context. It's a hallway with sprite walls and ceiling to connect to another white sector. The ceiling outside is space(with pal 3 for the sectors you walk in inside that construct).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0008.png

This post has been edited by BestViking: 10 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I know what you mean.

In my ways I would just make 4 red lines, join sectors to the red rectangular, then move the thing until it connects to the last vertices (edge of the sprite bridge or w/e)

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostBestViking, on 10 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

It's the circular thing that is to be moved, with alt-gr to be attached to the red sectors. I have made the vertices correspond. What makes me hesitate is if it will corrupt when I join the vertices, since a red wall and white wall meet.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the larger area so you can see it in context. It's a hallway with sprite walls and ceiling to connect to another white sector. The ceiling outside is space(with pal 3 for the sectors you walk in inside that construct).

Zaxtor is right, you can't just drag that over and have it snap into place (like white walls do) because the redwalls are full double sided already, connect the dots first, join up sectors to clean it up then drag it into place.

This post has been edited by Drek: 10 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

I got rid of the circular construct because it looked too much like a silo. I made a different building there and connected it successfully.

Since this question is about the same map, I'll ask here.

It seems you have to be inside the same sector as a switch to press it. I could use dipswitches and have the player shoot them, but I want a regular one that you activate normally. I could "build out" the switch with sprites around it. That would also accomplish a more 3D look. Is there another way to make this work? Screenshot attached.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0010.png

User is offline   Mark 

How about extending a tiny sliver of the main player sector into the recessed sector then placing the switch at the very back end of the sliver. Switch and player are in the same sector now. But it depends on how deep the recess is. If its too deep the player could enter it and no longer be in the same sector as the switch. Using the smallest grid size or even hitting L to turn off grid locking and dragging vertices super close you can make that sliver almost unseeable.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: switchmap.jpg

I found a solution. Put the switch in another place where I could make it work in a different way.

Now my next dilemma. I want to create a rising floor like in first level of episode 3 in Doom. When the player starts, the floor rises up to the adjacent sector. It is not a regular lift, since I only want it activated once, and upon start. The player is to start in this sector and then it rises, like an elevator.

I can not seem to find the right SE for this. There is a rotate and rise one, but I do not want rotation. There is also one that rises in increments, but I just want it to rise once, and to the adjacent level.

If this is not possible, I will scrap that idea. Otherwise, it would be perfect for my level.

User is offline   Mark 

I just double checked in the Blood bonus map from my Graveyard TC. The map starts with the player rising up from the crypt. All I have is the rising sector lotagged 17 along with a speed and sound sprite. The floor is lowered to it's starting position. It will rise to the level of it's adjacent sector. Nothing fancy. Stock effect.

Duh, I just re-read your post. You want it to activate only once. Never mind my suggestion. Unless your map would allow some kind of a barrier to come down to close off access to the platform. Have it triggered with a T sprite placed in that adjacent sector so as soon as you climb out you cant get back.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Good that you found a solution, but to answer your initial question, that wouldn't corrupt your map. But adjacent sectors that are not connected by points look glitch in-game.

I'm going to post a bunch of screenshots to show how this map is coming along. Stylistically, I've finally landed on something that I like. The white, metallic, slick, so-clean-you-can-eat-from-the-floor style kind of like in Aperture labs. Of course, I have to work with what I've got in Duke3D, but spending some time trying out different textures and using a lot of trims seem to work out well.

I'll also attach a shot of the elevator sector in question. It's in the central hub, within that capsule, like room with windows on either side.

The two buildings are connected with a Zaxtor-inspired glass enclosed bridge.

I'm finally in a good flow, working on the map every day.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0012.png
  • Attached Image: capt0013.png
  • Attached Image: capt0014.png
  • Attached Image: capt0015.png
  • Attached Image: capt0016.png
  • Attached Image: capt0017.png
  • Attached Image: capt0018.png
  • Attached Image: capt0019.png

UPDATE: Progress momentarily stalled as I'm twisting my head trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the sliding doors. If I can't get them to work, I'll use vents instead to get to a new area. I need to teleport the player to a new area, and my idea is to use an elevator teleport with sliding doors. I'm going to have to buckle up and re-learn the sliding doors eventually since space maps are not quite the same without them. What happens is the doors move a tiny bit, then stop. It would be very cool for a malfunctioning door effect, but that's not what I'm trying to do in this case.

So, to make those doors you have to stretch the walls of the inner sector way back into the wall, and the SE point to the opposite direction of where the door goes, IOW where they meet. I get that, I've got the sector tag in place, my GSPEED and MUSICANDSFX... everything working exactly as I want except the doors only opening a little bit and not all the way.

I'm determined to make something out of this map. I've finally landed on an aesthetic I like, got a good few ideas realized already and a whole bunch in the back of my head.

User is offline   Mark 

I think the speed sprite value also controls how far the door opens. Try higher or lower numbers. I forgot which way makes them open more.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Sliding Doors - Infosuite

THANK YOU BOTH!

I had no idea the GSPEED controlled the sliding. My door is working exactly as I want now. Also thanks for the link to the infosuite page, that will come in handy.

Haha, I just created a nightmare elevator. It keeps descending...

Not sure what's wrong. I put the sector tags, sector effectors and a darker shade on the top floor SE. Back to twisting my head with this, if anyone knows what might be wrong, be sure to chime in, otherwise I will keep updating here as I progress once this is solved.

Hope you guys don't mind my blogposting. If so, let me know.

User is offline   Mark 

I had that happen to me a couple of times over the years. And general problems with lifts and elevators. I just kept going back to the instructions and rebuilding. Eventually they worked. I can't remember what I did wrong in most of those instances. :D

The one thing I do remember is if you are doing a silent teleport using elevators, height differences of the 2 end locations have to be a certain amount apart.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark., on 15 November 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

The one thing I do remember is if you are doing a silent teleport using elevators, height differences of the 2 end locations have to be a certain amount apart.

This^

"the top floor must be at least 30-40 PGUP units higher than the bottom floor"

Transport Elevator - Infosuite

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

Thanks again! I had no idea they had to be different height. I assumed since it's basically a teleport, it wouldn't matter. But of course there has to be a way to determine how much it will travel.

Thank you so much for helping me get back on track so I can exploit this flow of ideas I currently have. Back to work :D

User is offline   Mark 

A bag of Chips Ahoy cookies would make a better thankyou. :D

Speaking of snacks, I'm working on some eye candy for the upper level of the base. The attached pic shows a construct I want to copy with alt-gr. In the attached screen you can see the construct in 2D and in the 3D mini window. Normally when copying sectors, ones with red outer walls are turned into white, naturally to make sure the map is not corrupted by having red sectors that are not inside white sectors.

When I copy this pillar construct and paste it in the sector that I want, Mapster asks me a question. I don't remember the wording, but I guess it's basically to make those outer lines red. Is it a risk of corruption or is it safe to do it?

I'm super paranoid about this stuff. I had too many great ideas ruined by corrupted sectors, which didn't show up until later, and I had no idea what it could be to cause it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0021.png

As you can see in that last shot, in the little 3D window, the roof texture looks very ugly still. I have not found the definitive replacement. I considered an "open" roof(parallax space) with trims to create dimension, but that usually only looks good with slopes which creates the effect of a slight dome. The only problem though, is when you view it from the outside, because you can only see the dome through the window, since it is in the inside sector, surrounded by white walls. This always bothered me in the past too, so it will not likely be the solution I'll opt for.

And seeing other parts of the base through the window is a big deal with this map. I think it adds so much dimension and I love space maps with this, where you can see other parts of the space station. Maartens "Spacetronic" exploited this effect greatly, Zaxtor is an expert on it which we see in his maps, and even in original Duke there was very impressive use of this although today it is taken to much greater extents.

In case I didn't mention, my elevator transport works flawlessly now. No jumps or glitches at all and feels like actual TROR.

Looks like I have a new problem to solve. Apparently, it is possible to move floors and ceilings in microscopic increments. It happened by accident and now I can't match the floors of two sectors, because they will never line up. Anyone know how to fix it?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Home and End serve as modifiers to PgUp/PgDn that operate on finer increments of adjustment. Short of that, you can use [']+[L] to match the Z coordinates exactly.

View PostHendricks266, on 18 November 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

Home and End serve as modifiers to PgUp/PgDn that operate on finer increments of adjustment. Short of that, you can use [']+[L] to match the Z coordinates exactly.

Thanks. I need to get an English keyboard so that the keys visually match up with what is actually being pressed. Right now it's trial and error to find the right key.

Adding props and decorations like boxes while I try to figure out what to put in the lower level of the map. Still not sure what to do about the ceiling here. I have tried out glass ceiling for a different building in the moonbase. I attach a screenshot of that too for comparison. Since the flattened sprites are square, such a square configuration is needed for the ceiling, or they will clip through diagonal lines. That, and the fact that the rooms were not constructed with it in mind is why I do not opt for it in the situation in the first screen. For now the ceiling is an eyesore. I will add a few ceiling lights, but that will be later.

For the lower level of the moonbase I had a few ideas. Maybe a bio-research lab with experiments gone wrong, but that is soooo Resident Evil and generally an overused cliche. I also considered a mining operations base, but I am not sufficiently inspired to turn it into something that can develop properly. The third idea was that of cylindrical tunnels connecting various areas, which I attach a screenshot of. But I had no purpose in mind of it, since the idea was conceived only as a means to change the architecture up with slopes and such. So I have stagnated again, waiting for the floodgates of inspiration to open.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0022.png
  • Attached Image: capt0023.png
  • Attached Image: capt0024.png

User is offline   Mark 

To fill in the ceiling you could use lights, fans, grilles, pipe texture 795, air vents, structural beams and posts.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Or punch a big rectangle in the ceiling with TROR and make a simple walkway around it. Like in a shopping mall. Maybe just for show and it doesn't have to be player accessible. Like this part of a test map I made years ago.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: walkway.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

I added some lights and replaced the ceiling texture. Not sure of it. The grayness all over makes it feel like a tin can or a submarine.

I make backups before trying anything new in my map so I have my time machine ready. Worst case scenario I can reassemble my map from different versions into a frankenstein mosaic.

I would probably have an easier time if I went for the more industrial, rusty looking spacestation which is the most common look since the textures have more ornaments and are not as smooth, and you can get away more with just good shading and textures that work together, whereas for my smoother look there are fewer textures available and I have to rely a lot more on sector and sprite based ornaments to break the monotony and smoothness.

I'm still determined to make this aesthetic work though.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0025.png
  • Attached Image: capt0026.png
  • Attached Image: capt0027.png

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options