Duke4.net Forums: MicroTransactions and Loot Boxes - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MicroTransactions and Loot Boxes

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Lol such a dick yet appropriate and awesome move from GOG.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I'm surprised that it didn't come out of Disney. I wonder if this terrible PR made them pissed. On their place I would regret giving them exclusive license even more.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Odd thing is that the Steam library entry of the "classic" Battlefront 2 shows news items for the new one.

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 November 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

*snip* - we're coming out

The Kevin Spacey defense. Seems legit.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Snap!

Posted Image

Full Update

Now, granted, it does say that it's only disabled and will be coming back, but the question is how. Either way, this is still a win because by removing in-game crystal purchases at launch to work on development they are costing themselves who knows how much money. That's a chance that will never come again. I'm still not buying it, but if they rework in-game purchases to cosmetics only or better yet if they remove it altogether, they'll have my money immediately.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

User is offline   Forge 

They shouldn't have tried to charge full triple-A price for a game, then gouge people with micro-transactions.

They could have half-priced or quarter-priced the multiplayer portion of the game, kept their micro-transactions, then DLC'ed the single-player arcade/campaign. Or something like that.

They need to fire their marketing people.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

This is just EA being EA and pushing all the wrong envelopes. They're still trying to placate to win back all their preorders (of which had been dropped by 60% apparently). Also, they had already promised no paid DLC/season pass. Microtransactions are how they're looking to supplement that lost income. We just need to keep showing them we won't put up with it. Luckily they actually have been hearing the outcry. We'll see how far they go with it.

User is offline   BestViking 

I have no faith in DICE anymore. I've explained before, and I don't want to derail the thread by introducing a conversation about why.

In regards to Star Wars, we see the exact same thing happening with the movies. A gradual decline. The newest one is just atrocious. The reason why resurrecting IPs rarely work(unless done by or with the consent and supervision of the original author) and you are always left with this feeling of a lack of captivation, immersion and getting lost in it, like you would with the classic, because those were not constructed in an era where quotas and agendas were the nucleus which everything else was built around. It is knowing this at every moment, every interaction, all the way to the end, that makes it impossible to get lost like you could in the past. You could get lost in Episode IV-VI because there was a sense of innocence to it since there was no obvious agenda being pushed.

This to me is the core issue in modern games. I could deal with moderate microtransactions if this was absent. But to have both of these immoral practices in just about every AAA game just sucks the drive out of me. I don't feel excited for new games any more. It's not worth it. Better to be pleasantly surprised every once in a while. It seems to happen less and less though...

With Deus Ex they tried to push a tiered pre-order system. Luckily, the outrage forced them to drop that. Not quite the same as microtransactions, but equally immoral. In that case you wouldn't even get a complete base game. At least with DLC you get that, despite getting a stripped down product. In multiplayer games you pretty much have to buy the DLC if you want a fighting chance to compete. In that case, it's not really a choice. Nobody would want a half-assed, short lived experience.

• The Sarien Encounter

My favourite reply I found to their tweet so far. lol

Posted Image

I still find it funny that the West decided to bitch about terrible practices just now when EA became incredibly blatant about their actual intentions, so blatant it was just insulting. And imagine what could happen if people raised their concerns and did proper boycotts one decay ago. That said, I expect people to allow microtransactions to slide after its come back which EA already promised.

• The Sarien Encounter

The crazy part is there are already people (of questionable ethical standards and financial intelligence/responsibility who are against this development and blaming people for complaining about nothing. They're all prepared to paybwhatever EA wants because they've swallowed the "games are expensive" pill. One person actually said to me that complainers of the monetization scheme wouldn't or shouldn't be paying for games and being agamer anyway if they weren't willing to pay for a $60 buy-in AND the microtransactions. Another person could not figure out why this was a good thing as we wouldn't get another game if they don't make enough money. Slaves to the evil. In the words of Salah from Raiders of the Lost Ark, "there is not one brain among them." I'm surprised we made a dent at all to be honest seeing as there are plenty of people apparently who would defend EA to the end.

EA. It's in the Koolaid.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 November 2017 - 05:13 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I wasn't aware of this little tidbit. People have taken to emailing Disney about the predatory gamble-enabling against child players schemes that EA and other companies are dipping their toes swimming in.

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money. EA has confirmed that it is taking that feature down to address fan concerns just as the game is about to launch worldwide tomorrow. All of this comes after multiple days of outrage from fans who are upset that EA and developer DICE have implemented an online multiplayer system that gives an advantage to people who pay money.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostSledgehammer, on 17 November 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

I still find it funny that the West decided to bitch about terrible practices just now when EA became incredibly blatant about their actual intentions, so blatant it was just insulting. And imagine what could happen if people raised their concerns and did proper boycotts one decay ago. That said, I expect people to allow microtransactions to slide after its come back which EA already promised.

I boycott almost all of their products. However, Battlefields 3 and 4 provided enough quality content in their DLC to balance money spent vs time played. Although you can buy battlepacks, they don't really make that much of a difference to make it unfair, and it can still be earned reasonably fast through just playing.

The reason they are able to sell their worst games and get away with immoral practises is children and their parents. A kid will yell to have the parent buy a game for them, and the parent just want the yelling to stop so they buy some utter garbage game. The child doesn't care for or understand the implications of microtransactions, or the value of money. There are also countless stories of children getting their parents credit card registered in a game(usually mobile games), either by theft or consent, and racking up an insane debt by purchasing something that doesn't even exist. IIRC in some cases it was thousands and tens of thousands of dollars.

It is when the numbers get that high that you realize what a scam it is and how you're paying for something that doesn't exist in the real world.

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 17 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 November 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

Now, granted, it does say that it's only disabled and will be coming back,

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Yep. They're doing everything they can to just edge people as close as they can to giving over their cash for ransom. They'll probably wait the appropriate amount of time until they can't get a refund then re-enable everything more or less as it was before.

Does Origin give refunds?

• The Sarien Encounter

These memes are the best.

Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

Now, I'm wondering what will happen to FIFA ... :D
Posted Image

Disney Unhappy With How Long EA Took Action Against Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions, Exclusivity Deal Threatened

According to a source that wishes to remain anonymous, Disney talked with top-level EA executives over the growing backlash (something that was corroborated by The Wall Street Journal who reported that Consumer Products and Interactive Media boss Jimmy Pitaro sent a message to EA about their concerns) regarding Star Wars Battlefront II’s bad press when it comes to loot crates, and how some see it as “gambling.”

Based on the info we received, it states that both parties agreed that the Battlefront II microtransactions model needs to be revamped to stave off further backlash. Also, it mentions how Disney was “unhappy” with how long EA took effective action regarding the situation since it has evolved enough that the backlash could potentially harm the Star Wars IP given The Last Jedi is hitting theaters soon.

Possibly the biggest thing though, is how Disney apparently gave a less-than-direct threat that EA could lose the Star Wars publishing exclusivity rights if things didn’t improve. The House of Mouse had concerns about the exclusivity deal with EA due to the press backlash, investigations regarding gambling, and the bad press involved.

That said, I find it quite interesting that Mouse properties are getting fucked so bad lately. First it was Star Wars, then it was Marvel. I hope this will teach them a valuable lesson, though that seems quite unlikely considering how they treat their own properties in-house.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 19 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

I don't get Fifa... are there people buying each new iteration of it? I haven't kept up to date on it, but I would guess there can't be revolutionary changes happening each year. Graphics has stagnated for the last five or so years. Original Crysis still holds up with modern games if you crank the graphics to maximum. It's beginning to look a bit dated, but in many ways it's still 2007 in 2017.

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow. Disney actually IS upset. I figured it was just a PR move to save face for the public. (I suppose it still could be)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBestViking, on 19 November 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

I don't get Fifa... are there people buying each new iteration of it? I haven't kept up to date on it, but I would guess there can't be revolutionary changes happening each year. Graphics has stagnated for the last five or so years. Original Crysis still holds up with modern games if you crank the graphics to maximum. It's beginning to look a bit dated, but in many ways it's still 2007 in 2017.

Based on some kids, you can spend $700 and still not have the players you need to win. It is literally gambling. So I told them to get Shadow Warrior Redux, or play poker with me :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

Posted Image
[Source]

The State Of Hawaii Investigating EA For "Predatory Practices"

Belgium's Gaming Commission Has Declared That Lootboxes Are Gambling

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Posted Image

Damn I love CDPR.

• The Sarien Encounter

LOL

• The Sarien Encounter

Belgium declares loot boxes as gambling. Suck it, EA. Hawaii is going after it too.

http://www.pcgamer.c...nned-in-europe/

https://www.techspot...boxes-asks.html

• The Sarien Encounter

Apparently there was a mistranslation. Belgium hasn't declared it gambling yet, but they are looking heavily into it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options