Duke4.net Forums: WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses! - Duke4.net Forums

• 30 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses!  "WG and DT present the ultimate 8-bit medieval fragfest"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

WG Realms 2 is a TC made with EDuke32, (the sequel to William Gee's masterpiece, WG Realms).

It is a first person shooter with 8-bit graphics. It has some original art, but most is ripped from various old games. The gameplay is very old school, but with some original twists. The level design is elegant and action packed, with emphasis on nature and medieval themes.

This video linked below shows miscellaneous stuff -- locations, monsters, weapons and some effects. There's lots of stuff that isn't shown at all. Everything you see should be considered WIP. Graphics may be replaced, locations transformed, etc. Many of the monsters in the video were just spawned on the spot for demo purposes. The game is about 30% finished as of May 2009.

A lot of TCs die, but I'm not worried about this one because it's so fun to work on. In this project we are sticking with the things the game engine and scripting system does best. We aren't trying to push the engine to the limits and make a modern game -- and I think that's what makes it so fun. We can just concentrate on making a game that is totally kick ass and fun as hell.

Teaser video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uDW6FdF_So4

Also check out WG's ModDB page:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/wgrealms-2

More media coming soon.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 17 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Dimebog 

Very much looking forward to this. :P

Good luck with the project.

User is offline   Sebastian 

That bossfight at 6 minutes in is one of the most impressive things I've seen in enemy coding.

As a tip however, I would suggest varying the explosion sounds alot more. Hearing the same Quake I explosion over and over again grows tiresome very quickly!

This post has been edited by Rusty Nails: 17 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yeah good point on the explosion sound, it was starting to agitate me. :P

User is offline   engineer 

First it's "Sign of Evil" on pan pipes, and now this.

Holy shit.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRusty Nails, on May 17 2009, 05:19 PM, said:

That bossfight at 6 minutes in is one of the most impressive things I've seen in enemy coding.

As a tip however, I would suggest varying the explosion sounds alot more. Hearing the same Quake I explosion over and over again grows tiresome very quickly!

Don't worry, there will be at least five different explosion sounds.

I want there to be a different boss fight at the end of each level, with a uber boss at the very end of course.

This game has some Doom and Duke style play, but when it comes to boss fights and AI in general I part company with the old school American shooters. My inspiration is more from the Japanese. I remember those old games on my Japanese consoles where the bosses had multiple attacks and the battles were epic.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 17 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Damn, that was awesome. I actually sat through the whole video.

I love the pipebomb pebble weapon.

Yeah DT has added lots of cool additions, We wont have any KEYS, so not KEY HUNTS, we have other types of puzzles and interesting original gameplay types to replace it with.

We already have more enemies than I was originally planning to have. :P And that's a good thing.

User is offline   supergoofy 

This TC is looking amazing! :P :P

I think I will love this mod.

Can I request something?

In Nuclear Showdown mod when you shoot with the shotgun you can rip off the head of the enemy. It would be cool to add also this.

Many many thanks for this mod :blink:

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 17 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

We may be adding a swore thrower, I dunno what DT thinks, but id be happy if the swore thrower could do that. But I'm not sure about shotgun.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It would mean making headless art and heads for a lot of enemies. There are MANY enemies in this game. In NS, you can only do it on pigcop, enforcer and liztroop IIRC.

I'm not ruling it out, but it's certainly not a high priority at the moment.

And I was beginning to think that this thread wouldn't make over here to Duke4.net! Guess I was wrong.

User is offline   Hail_Duke 

View PostYatta, on May 17 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

Damn, that was awesome. I actually sat through the whole video.

So did I, and I normally don't finish watching teasers that last more than 2 minutes. This is really quality excellence. The boss is also very badass, and isn't your typical "shoot till he dies" run-of-the-mill boss, so applause for that. I think he should be bigger though, but then that's just my personal preference

Above all, I really like how so many resources are being reused in the mod - Doom and Hexen sprites more specifically - but it all fits in well enough to not feel like a rip off.

1 question: will there be Duke Nukem style music? It's a bit quiet when no action's going on

User is offline   necroslut 

Looks super awesome!

Wish that teaser wouldn't stop teasing us!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHail_Duke, on May 18 2009, 12:48 AM, said:

The boss is also very badass, and isn't your typical "shoot till he dies" run-of-the-mill boss, so applause for that. I think he should be bigger though, but then that's just my personal preference

That wizard sprite wasn't designed to be a boss, and if I made it any bigger it would look very pixelated and not fit the level of detail of the other characters. It was just going to be a miniboss fight, but I got a little carried away. I might tone it down later.

There's also a fire wizard and a lightning wizard (different colors of the same character) but I haven't coded boss versions of those (yet).

Above all, I really like how so many resources are being reused in the mod - Doom and Hexen sprites more specifically - but it all fits in well enough to not feel like a rip off.

WG has done a brilliant job of choosing and using textures so they all fit together and look great. The monster art is mostly from Hexen/Heretic and Doom, a few from other sources, some of it edited. It all goes together pretty well.

1 question: will there be Duke Nukem style music? It's a bit quiet when no action's going on

There will be music.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Absolutely bad-ass. Like others said, that boss battle is very cool. The shield magic is one of the most impressive bits of code I've seen used in the engine. Also all the weapons seem to really kick ass. Only thing though is the maps don't seem to have a lot of cohesion and a main flow. Of course it could just be that I'm used to more linear approaches in games.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAlan, on May 18 2009, 01:35 PM, said:

Absolutely bad-ass. Like others said, that boss battle is very cool. The shield magic is one of the most impressive bits of code I've seen used in the engine.

Thanks. It didn't take much coding, the main thing was just to think of doing it.

View PostAlan, on May 18 2009, 01:35 PM, said:

Only thing though is the maps don't seem to have a lot of cohesion and a main flow. Of course it could just be that I'm used to more linear approaches in games.

Are you saying the maps aren't linear enough? There's no way you could tell that from looking at the video, since it mostly consisted of me going to a few unfinished locations and spawning monsters (then shooting them, which is the part you see).

I don't care if it's linear. I just want to play it!

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View PostDeeperThought, on May 18 2009, 05:19 PM, said:

Are you saying the maps aren't linear enough? There's no way you could tell that from looking at the video, since it mostly consisted of me going to a few unfinished locations and spawning monsters (then shooting them, which is the part you see).

It's an issue I have with a couple of William Gee's maps (direction is hard to figure out sometimes) and it looked like it was present there in that short video as well. Of course I could be wrong.

User is offline   ReaperTK 

I just played through WG Realms 1, Nice work :P I'm certainly looking forward to this.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :P

I'm personally not a fan of Linear games, I like adventure and exploration, but so far in WGR2, its more Linear than anything I have made before.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Nonlinearity is good if it is done right. There are plenty of examples in Duke maps of it NOT being done right (arbitrary key/button hunts going back and forth across the map and the player isn't sure where the key goes or where the door is that got unlocked) but there is nothing bad like that in WGR2. In fact, keys won't be used at all. Buttons are, but from what I've seen they are very localized. One thing that could be annoying is rounding up monster souls to follow you back to a soul door. But if that becomes an issue I can always add a soul/souldoor radar system :P

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 18 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

User is offline   engineer 

If only the game could support incremental ammo limit expansion like Metroid.....

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postengineer, on May 18 2009, 05:58 PM, said:

If only the game could support incremental ammo limit expansion like Metroid.....

We have a backpack already that works like the one in Doom (doubling ammo capacities). There could be a bunch of incremental ones instead. It would create more incentive to open chests and look for secrets. On the other hand, it would take some redesign to make ammo capacity play the same role it does in the Metroid series. In those games, missiles are the main boss killing weapon, and the limited quantity you have early in the game makes a major difference to your boss fighting power, but not for killing ordinary enemies. In WGR2, like in Duke, there is no one weapon that dominates. Severely limiting ammo early on would be pretty cripping all around. I suppose the chainsaw and basic shotgun could be fully functional from the beginning, and then the ammo ups could only affect other weapons? Hmmm. Anyway, it's food for thought, thanks for the idea.

User is offline   Dimebog 

I really like the boss fight at the end of the teaser video. It reminds me of some Konami games I played in my youth like Monster in My Pocket for NES.

Are you by any chance considering implementing a health bar that shows up as a part of the HUD to indicate how much health a boss has left?

This post has been edited by Dimebog: 18 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

User is offline   Vagan 

This looks fantastic. :P

User is offline   supergoofy 

Question: Are you going to have dual pistols or they are replaced with some other weapon?

Shotgun replaces pistol, so no.

User is offline   Spiker 

Looking much better than previous movies! small tweaks here and there and it will be a one of the best mods ever.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options