Duke4.net Forums: Brutal Blood - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brutal Blood

Would it be possible?

More gore, blood dripping from the ceilings etc..
Kinda like Brutal Doom?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Brutal Doom is abhorrent, and doesn't the game named Blood have enough blood?

I quote this in jest, mainly because of the context of where it was originally said (click the arrow):

View PostJimmy, on 14 October 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Wow, this thread sucks.

I wish I had bet on a reply from you.
I don't care what you think.
Carmack and Hopper like Brutal Doom..so do I.

And I ask a question on if it's possible.
Not if everyone likes it.

• Weaponized Autism

No, it's not possible.

Blood did not ship with the level of scripting necessary to do this.

BloodGDX is closed-source and obfuscated so you couldn't change the program if you wanted to.

M210 has stated that he would like to make "an SDK" but this is far down his roadmap.

User is online   Tekedon 

I'm sure m210 could pull it off. I mean how did he code the pitchfork secondary fire in on of the pre-release videos if he can't add new code.

Click here

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 11 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

View PostMariusArmand, on 11 September 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

I wish I had bet on a reply from you.
I don't care what you think.
Carmack and Hopper like Brutal Doom..so do I.

And I ask a question on if it's possible.
Not if everyone likes it.

Beware, you're talking to a "Senior Eduke 32 programmer" who has a couple of sycophantic fuccbois who will agree with whatever he says no matter how arrogant he comes off.

That said, it is a little redundant to think of a Brutal Blood because the game is already very OTT when it comes to the red stuff but it would be interesting to see that dialed up to 11.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 11 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostBruno Mattei, on 11 September 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

fuccbois

Posted Image

User is offline   Killes 

Geez here we go again, :)
Hendricks266 pissing on other peoples work. Always a smug looking avatar too, goes great with your character.

"BrutalDoom is abhorrent" what the fuck ever dude. What is you problem, look at it like this - its not real "Doom" its just a great semi-TC/another game really and there is a lot of work and skill than went into creating it.

Fucking hell, how are people going to respect you and your work with Ion Maiden if all you do is constantly piss down on other people.

Your doing a great SgtMark job here, making something possibly great but being a total dick, it hurt SgtMark and it will hurt you and your company / profits.

If someone wants to make a Blood gameplay mod then fuck yeah why not, the more projects for Blood the better, variety is the spice you know ?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I suppose one option giving the lack of scripting in Blood(GDX) would be to mod BloodCM. Of course that means no Cryptic Passage (unless you also port those maps) or user maps

User is online   Tekedon 

Well I won't be buying Ion Maiden that's for sure.

I'll torrent Ion Maiden instead.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

If someone wants to make "Brutal Blood" mod, so be it. End of the story. Besides it's gonna take a lot of time before BloodGDX will become modable.

User is offline   axl 

View PostDzierzan, on 12 September 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

If someone wants to make "Brutal Blood" mod, so be it. End of the story.

Indeed. Personally I don't like these "brutal" mods as these tend to ruin the gameplay, but if people want it and are willing to make it... why the hell not.

This post has been edited by axl: 12 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTekedon, on 11 September 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

Well I won't be buying Ion Maiden that's for sure.

View PostBruno Mattei, on 12 September 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

I'll torrent Ion Maiden instead.

That escalated quickly. Fortunately, you've only exposed yourselves as trolls. "Oh no, the admin insulted my favorite Doom mod! How do I get back at him?" If you pass on IM because of me, you won't be hurting me. I'm in a great situation right now. The same cannot be said for the rest of my team who are working around the clock to wow everyone who has ever enjoyed a 2.5D shooter.

I like how no one here has actually tried to rebut "Brutal Doom sucks". All that's been said is some variant of "to each their own". I can understand that point of view, and I don't mean to say that if you enjoy something harmless, you should stop. No one should feel unwelcome here because of the mods they play or the source ports they use. If you want to make an enhanced gore mod, that's cool, I helped a little bit with SD_Duke back in the day myself. But if you want to capitalize on the "Brutal" name by expanding it to other games, I will contribute a large serving of "why???".

View PostHendricks266, on 12 September 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

I like how no one here has actually tried to rebut "Brutal Doom sucks".

Speaking for myself, because I don't like endless discussions.

But if you want to capitalize on the "Brutal" name by expanding it to other games, I will contribute a large serving of "why???"

I used the word "Brutal" to make sure everybody would immediately know what I was talking about. And it worked.
Should a similar mod like that for Blood be called Brutal Blood? I don't care.

For the rest I can only hope that your charisma doesn't hurt the project for your co-workers.

That escalated quickly. Fortunately, you've only exposed yourselves as trolls. "Oh no, the admin insulted my favorite Doom mod! How do I get back at him?" If you pass on IM because of me, you won't be hurting me. I'm in a great situation right now. The same cannot be said for the rest of my team who are working around the clock to wow everyone who has ever enjoyed a 2.5D shooter.

I like how no one here has actually tried to rebut "Brutal Doom sucks". All that's been said is some variant of "to each their own". I can understand that point of view, and I don't mean to say that if you enjoy something harmless, you should stop. No one should feel unwelcome here because of the mods they play or the source ports they use. If you want to make an enhanced gore mod, that's cool, I helped a little bit with SD_Duke back in the day myself. But if you want to capitalize on the "Brutal" name by expanding it to other games, I will contribute a large serving of "why???".

You act like a child.

This talk about not buying Ion Maiden to get back at Hendricks is really petty...

In it's current state, Blood isn't very mod friendly. If you want to make such a mod now I think modding BloodCM would be your best bet.

Marius, what kind of experience do you have with modding?

I asked if it's possible. I don't plan to do it :)

Don't have experience with modding. Making some 2d top down now as a side hobby project and it'll probably never finish :)

• Weaponized Autism

View PostBruno Mattei, on 11 September 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

Beware, you're talking to a "Senior Eduke 32 programmer" who has a couple of sycophantic fuccbois who will agree with whatever he says no matter how arrogant he comes off.

Criticizing me is free speech, and is completely allowed. As my earlier reply indicated, I laugh at the idea of calling me a fuckboy, especially with your choice of spelling.

However, your post portraying my reply to Marius as aggressive instead of playful misled a section of our userbase into thinking the same. Misrepresenting me interferes with my ability to administrate. Consider this a moderation staff warning.

View PostKilles, on 11 September 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

"BrutalDoom is abhorrent" what the fuck ever dude. What is you problem, look at it like this - its not real "Doom" its just a great semi-TC/another game really and there is a lot of work and skill than went into creating it.

Brutal Doom is indeed abhorrent. To elaborate, I don't mind the idea of playing with an enhanced gore pack. The mod checks a lot of boxes as far as that goes. It also adds a bunch of dumb stuff. I have a problem with the promotion of this mod at the expense of the original game, and I would hate to see the same happen to Blood. I also have a problem with SgtMark stealing my friends' work.

You're going to need to come with better reasons than "a lot of time was spent on it" to say the mod is "great".

Hendricks266 pissing on other peoples work.

If you can't take the heat, step out of the fire. I have not engaged in personal attacks, only criticism.

Always a smug looking avatar too, goes great with your character.

My previous yellow circle is literally named "smug.png". It's a joke.

Fucking hell, how are people going to respect you and your work with Ion Maiden if all you do is constantly piss down on other people.

This is the first time that I recall you joining Bruno in slandering me. You are warned as well.

View PostMariusArmand, on 12 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Should a similar mod like that for Blood be called Brutal Blood? I don't care.

If a mod was named something different but tried to be a direct replication of Brutal Doom in Blood, I would be opposed to it. If a mod is different but uses the name anyway, it's dishonest, and it could still cause the same changes in Blood's perception.

View PostMariusArmand, on 12 September 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

For the rest I can only hope that your charisma doesn't hurt the project for your co-workers.

I'm sorry if my reply came off as antagonistic. The phrase "Brutal Blood" caused a five-alarm fire in my head, and I believe I did not tone down my words enough.

I see where you're coming from. Blood is far from as well known as Doom, so any impact such a mod would have on the game's reputation if it went viral would be far greater...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 12 September 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

I'm sorry if my reply came off as antagonistic. The phrase "Brutal Blood" caused a five-alarm fire in my head, and I believe I did not tone down my words enough.

Obviously they did overreact to your comment, which wasn't even directed at them. But the fact is that you often chime in with unnecessarily snarky and negative comments, and I think what we're seeing in this thread is that people have become aware of that and it's causing some of them react negatively to you even when you don't deserve it. You of course are free to build whatever kind of reputation you want, but if you care about your reputation then it's important to be aware of how you are perceived.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 September 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

You of course are free to build whatever kind of reputation you want, but if you care about your reputation then it's important to be aware of how you are perceived.

hendricks seems to be going through a phase and is overly concerned about how other people perceive him and his authority.
puberty treats some more harshly than others.

Posted Image

'twas not so long ago that people complained when he was promoted to admin. Several of us stood behind him and touted his maturity level and even-headed interactions with people.
appears the paint is starting to peel & is in need of a fresh coat.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Is it really necessary to turn this thread into "let's all shit on Hendricks"?

I had actually not played Brutal Doom before, I downloaded and played through the first episode. It would be kinda neat to see the mechanics of dismembered enemies still being able to fight in Blood. Though I'd rather it be paired with a new set of levels as to not risk it being seen as a replacement rather than complement to the original game.

User is offline   Forge 

The main concern is the one voiced in the o.p.

-is it possible?
(like or dislike is irrelevant)

M210 would probably be the subject matter expert. Send him a pm, or idle around about in here and see if he notices this thread.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

User is offline   J432 

Almost anything is possible, the question is if he would be willing to work on such project. I guess that he has different priorities and rightly so IMHO.

This post has been edited by J432: 12 September 2017 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

My real question is does Blood really need more gore?

I mean you can get pretty god-damn brutal already with the TNT, flare gun, napalm launcher and both barrels of the double shotty. You can play head soccer.Does it really need *more* ?

Indeed, i'd say the gore functionality/reactivity/player feedback from Blood inspired some of the effects seen in Brutal Doom itself.

As to Brutal Doom being abhorrent/bad/terrible.

Not really. Yes, when people say "Oh it plays so much better than the original game." and it turns into some kind of an upstaging affair, then it's an issue, and I do agree with Hendricks that it has one too many features going on there. I actually play with the ketchup mod and smoothdoom to get some of the same effect without as much of the overhead. (Things like the middle finger and the third person glory kills are a little over the top. I'd like them more if the game didn't change perspective.) I also like a lot of the little AI tweaks that Brutal Doom implements, and some of the neat little tweaks. Like pinkies mauling/eating the player after he dies. That's a nice upgrade to the original game. It's just a problem of having too many ideas and implementing all of them with varying degrees of balance.

Also, the whole stealing other peoples works, thing. Get permission, ask, be a decent person. All of the old school FPS communities are filled with very giving and talented folks. There's no need to be poaching assets without asking first.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

REMINDER: Anyone who claims "I won't buy Ion Maiden now because X reasons" is lying. Which doesn't mean that they're going to buy the game, but rather that they never intended to buy the game.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 12 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostJimmy, on 12 September 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

REMINDER: Anyone who claims "I won't buy Ion Maiden now because X reasons" is lying. Which doesn't mean that they're going to buy the game, but rather that they never intended to buy the game.

You're wrong. I do support indies. Maybe I don't buy the game day 1, maybe I wait and see where it is with reviews and patches, maybe I buy it during a steam sale. The point is that I do support when the product is good and I can afford it.

If this toxic manchild doesn't care how he acts and doesn't care about his fellow team members on Ion Maiden then so be it. I won't buy the game. End of story. JFC, he is turning people away from a game he's worked on and his response is "I don't care. It doesn't effect me." Wow, that guy must have been a peach to work with on Ion Maiden. Not to mention his constant trashing and "holier than thou" attitude he has regarding other programmers. Who can defend this man? I'm guessing you're his little minion.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 12 September 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

If this toxic manchild doesn't care how he acts......etc.,etc......

posts like this demonstrate that you don't have the moral high ground

i don't agree with everything he said, but at this point, you're worse
- you don't like how he communicates - you're using personal attacks and insults - ergo you should examine yourself.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

He's just virtue signalling and trying to use a wedge issue. He gets defensive because he had no intention on buying the game in the first place, but instead intends to use social shaming and bullying tactics to try and get Hendricks266's peers to do his dirty work. This is the truth of the matter, whether you accept it or downvote my posts is inconsequential. I can still see your foolish game.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options