Duke4.net Forums: Depth Cueing support - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Depth Cueing support

User is offline   Krypto 

A crucial feature which BloodGDX is missing from the original engine is a feature known as 'Depth Cueing'. This is responsible for determining the lighting value of sectors from a distance, it's use is important for creating realism in the process of map creation as it allows the mapper to create areas which appear progressively darker from a distance and by contrast become brighter as the player draws closer, which one would expect in real life. I've seen M210 reply to this issue before but with a complete misunderstanding of what it represents, this is a feature which affects lighting only and it's implementation will not conflict with the use of HRP textures.

For this reason I have included side by side comparison screenshots of various sections from both the vanilla game in DOS and GDX below so you can see a visual presentation of what I'm referring to. The absense of depth cueing at the moment ruins the immersion of the game and makes maps look very different overall, for example why is the color of the wall different in GDX from the last three screenshots shown.

As this port aims to re-create the vanilla game as far as possible, it will be a disgrace if this is not integrated into GDX.

So M210 what do you intend to do to resolve this issue? It's just a simple implementation of a lighting system which was in the original engine and I find it hard to believe if it's not possible to implement it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Good luck getting this into Polymost!

All the rendering glitches that keep getting posted are due to differences between it and the original software renderer.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHendricks266 said:

Good luck getting this into Polymost!

Wait, I'm completely confused here. I thought polymost had this "depth cueing"? See screenshots below running EDuke32. The first one is classic renderer and the second is polymost. So why this thing ain't possible in BloodGDX as it is using polymost?

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Hmm, I might have confused this with something related but different. Yes, we have taken great care to make Polymost's shading match Classic, and I even personally ported our fixes into Megaton and Redux.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 August 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Hmm, I might have confused this with something related but different. Yes, we have taken great care to make Polymost's shading match Classic, and I even personally ported our fixes into Megaton and Redux.

Yes, that's what makes Polymost so great. It's extremely fast AND closely resembles classic shading. This why I always use polymost for Duke, but still prefer software rendering for Doom (Zdoom) as I feel Gzdoom doesn't create the same atmosphere.

On topic: i agree with Krypto here, this depth cuing greatly contributes to the atmosphere of (Build) games and should somehow be implemented in Bloodgdx.

This post has been edited by axl: 15 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

Well, there IS depth cueing in GDX. But it's not as prominent. Here is a screenshot of my Swamp Castle map which uses depth cueing heavily.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   m210® 

See screenshots below running EDuke32. The first one is classic renderer and the second is polymost.

With the same success I can submit my screenshots
Maybe your mistake is that you compared Blood DOS and BloodGDX, but at the same time you comparing eduke32 with eduke32?
And therefore some people said that BloodGDX darker, some people said that it's brighter...

So M210 what do you intend to do

So, I want to make models rendering, rewrite a user map loader with custom ART support, maybe fix some bugs in polymost, make console, write a def-parser, write a maphack scripts, rewrite ini-parser, because it's a case-sensitive, rewrite sound system, fix bugs with enemies, replace some calcs to GPU and I need to think what's I can make with palette 1 in Polymost :thumbsup: Maybe I will try to make splitscreen mode and it's need to write and test multiplayer part of the game...and I will fix a lot and a lot of little bugs and crashes now. Maybe I forgot something...
Also I planning to make a new renderer on GL20 and then renderer will be faster and it will can use shade table snd then it will be as software renderer

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  3.png (577.73K)
    Number of downloads: 44

This post has been edited by M210: 16 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

The GDX Depth Cueing don't will be too much faithful to the original right? I believe that the strange color downgrade effect on the textures happens only in the original render, if not in the entire game.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 16 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

User is offline   Newken 

Depth Cueing at 640x480:

Posted Image

User is offline   m210® 

View PostFantinaikos, on 16 August 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

The GDX Depth Cueing don't will be too much faithful to the original right?

I think - yes, but before 100% answer to this quesstion, it's need to understood first, why glfog depends on the screen resolution

User is offline   axl 

View PostM210, on 15 August 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

So, I want to make models rendering, rewrite a user map loader with custom ART support, maybe fix some bugs in polymost, make console, write a def-parser, write a maphack scripts, rewrite ini-parser, because it's a case-sensitive, rewrite sound system, fix bugs with enemies, replace some calcs to GPU and I need to think what's I can make with palette 1 in Polymost :thumbsup: Maybe I will try to make splitscreen mode and it's need to write and test multiplayer part of the game...and I will fix a lot and a lot of little bugs and crashes now. Maybe I forgot something...
Also I planning to make a new renderer on GL20 and then renderer will be faster and it will can use shade table snd then it will be as software renderer

Great !!

User is offline   Krypto 

Thanks for the positive and quick responses everyone!

Thanks for those example screenshots Tekedon and Newken, it's curious to see it works at lower resolutions. I fired up up E3M6 - Monster Bait in 640x480 to verify this and Depth Cueing is indeed working.

View PostM210, on 16 August 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

I think - yes, but before 100% answer to this quesstion, it's need to understood first, why glfog depends on the screen resolution

It looks like the 'glfog' as you call it gets progressively brighter the more you increase the resolution. So you just need to work out why it gets very bright at 1920x1080 and make it match the original shade of lighting in DOS :thumbsup:

Also thanks for the detailed report on what you plan to work on next xD

View PostM210, on 15 August 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

It's really interesting you intend to re-write the renderer and it might look like software renderer then, as you mentioned previously the software renderer in the original was done in an old programming language and you don't want to make a software mode for GDX because of that.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options