• You cannot reply to this topic

Wichaven?  "wichavenGDX?"

User is offline   m210® 

Will Witchaven more easy for play if it will has better movement? :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by M210: 08 October 2017 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   Devon 

View PostM210, on 08 October 2017 - 03:47 AM, said:

Will Witchaven more easy for play if it will has better movement? :rolleyes:

Yeah i guess, but i like a challange but it is so sluggish and slow.

I can just imagine smooth gameplay with widescreen and opengl... would be so awsome.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostZaxx, on 15 August 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

What happens on the internet is never forgotten:
http://www.mediafire...atch+v.1.0.1.7z

Just keep in mind that Powerslave EX recreates the PSX / Saturn version of the game which is a lot better than the PC version ever was but if you're looking for PC nostalgia you may not get what you want. There are a few extra features that make the game come closer to the PC version however.

Thanks for posting this. I only played the PC version years ago and always heard the PSX/Saturn one was different, but this is a totally different game and it's awesome. Had so much fun playing it. Super creative level design/puzzles, etc. I actually can't think of anything else that's similar.

User is offline   Devon 

View Postthricecursed, on 14 October 2017 - 01:50 AM, said:

Thanks for posting this. I only played the PC version years ago and always heard the PSX/Saturn one was different, but this is a totally different game and it's awesome. Had so much fun playing it. Super creative level design/puzzles, etc. I actually can't think of anything else that's similar.

It is a bit like metroid in the sense that you get abilities and backtrack and unlock new areas.
Very cool game, I got the sega saturn version and it is very addicting.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostDevon, on 14 October 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

It is a bit like metroid in the sense that you get abilities and backtrack and unlock new areas.
Very cool game, I got the sega saturn version and it is very addicting.

It actually reminds me of Portal 2 a little bit. The exploration element and just really well put together levels that test your coordination and spatial awareness without being overly difficult. You never get stuck for very long and your movement speed/fluidity also helps with that.

As for Metroid, can you recommend any particular game in the series?

User is offline   Devon 

View Postthricecursed, on 14 October 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

It actually reminds me of Portal 2 a little bit. The exploration element and just really well put together levels that test your coordination and spatial awareness without being overly difficult. You never get stuck for very long and your movement speed/fluidity also helps with that.

As for Metroid, can you recommend any particular game in the series?

If we are talking strictly fps games then i highly recommend Metroid prime for the gamecube, it is without a doubt the best i have played in the series.

For old school Metroid i really like Super metroid for the super nintendo.

If any of those two gets your attention i guess there are more good and great ones... they have made a few more over the years.

Im getting way off topic here... give me a Witchaven 1 & 2 source port! =D

User is offline   m210® 

Hi. I almost completed a port, but without menu and settings. Somebody wants to test it "as is" ?)

This post has been edited by M210: 15 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostM210, on 15 March 2018 - 06:52 AM, said:

Hi. I almost completed a port, but without menu and settings. Somebody wants to test it "as is" ?)

Without menu? You cant choose difficult etc? Well f-n a yeah ! I want to test it!

User is offline   m210® 

View PostTheXna, on 15 March 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Without menu? You cant choose difficult etc? Well f-n a yeah ! I want to test it!

I mean without normal menu, you can hoose difficult and gore level, and load/save, but you can't setup keys in menu, sound volume and other settings.
So, I need to make something before beta release. Maybe tommorow I will publish a link here with the port

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostM210, on 15 March 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I mean without normal menu, you can hoose difficult and gore level, and load/save, but you can't setup keys in menu, sound volume and other settings.
So, I need to make something before beta release. Maybe tommorow I will publish a link here with the port

I would love to test it today, but i guess better doing slowly and right than rushed

User is offline   m210® 

Ok, I made a beta test release. Check it:

WhGDX_v0.500

User is offline   Phredreeke 

hey what's this... :)

https://i.cubeupload.com/EbZ7Lj.jpg

User is offline   m210® 

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 March 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

Where?)

I got it running with upscaled textures :) though it's only the background which is backwards from what I did on Blood heh

It seems that it does not support high tiles at resolutions not a power of 2 (it would pad out the texture with black)

User is offline   Jamesfff 

Just tried your new Witchaven port, and it looks good so far...but the door to level one's exit won't open! Little problem there...

User is offline   m210® 

View PostJamesfff, on 16 March 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Just tried your new Witchaven port, and it looks good so far...but the door to level one's exit won't open! Little problem there...

What number of level?

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 March 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

?

View PostJamesfff, on 16 March 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Which door? Can you make a screenshot?

I've put together an upscale pack, so far it's more of a proof of concept:

https://files.fm/f/5agd7gdm

Screenshot (please excuse the poor quality, had to resort to screen capture software as there's no built in screenshot function yet)

http://i.cubeupload.com/ypi6ok.jpg

Is support of Witchaven 2 happening soon?

I started playing Witchaven thanks to the GDX. I knew the game had a reputation for being bad so I was wondering "Why is this Russian guy doing Witchaven GDX?" GGGMan gave it a very lukewarm reception:

To my surprise I started to like it. The first level is very rough around the edges and you're pretty much guaranteed to die at least once. But I kept going with it and right now I'm at level 5 and hit level 7 or 8. The claymation models are fun though they have limited frames of animation. The other big, gaping, and very noticeable flaws being the lack of music, the hit-detection, and the lack of a stamina bar on weapons. You could argue that the lack of music was an aesthetic choice but I think it was done because of programming limitations.

I hope mod support can happen because a few tiny fixes and you suddenly have a great oldschool first person hack and slash game.

Just add ambient music.
Fix the hit-detection.
Add a stamina bar for weapons.
Add the ability to swap out a weapon without it being damaged first.
Slightly Increase the running speed of your character. The platforming with lava is pretty "cheap" not unless you have a ton of fire-resistant spells.

As-is it's merely pretty good. But there's something seriously wrong that I can play this and not be terribly stumped as to where to go next but yet I can Shadow Warrior and need to look up a Let's Play in order to find a key or a door.

Edit: the most noticeable bug with Witchaven GDX is that it appears that the Necromancers are invisible and have no hitbox.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 18 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 18 March 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Edit: the most noticeable bug with Witchaven GDX is that it appears that the Necromancers are invisible and have no hitbox.

Necromancers? You mean Judy? Or skully? Those are easy to kill, every enemy in the game can be nuke too, use that spell instead!, I have finished the game in the gdx version and dos and so far there aren't that many major bugs, the game doesn't play the cutscene but that's ok, most of the bugs are presented in the dos version too, the only major bug is that whenever you kill a willow with a weapon, the game crashes sometimes, this doesn't happen in the dos version of the game, the only way to kill a willow without getting a crash, is with a spell! You can also post these problems at the bugs & problems topic, there's a video I made which list a few major bugs, most of these aren't presented in the dos version so, check it out if you want to!. And I agree with your complaints, the stamina bar seems pretty useful, the hit detection too but someone is already working on that already, EGWhaven its a patch that fixes and changes a lot of stuff, like the exp system, air mobility, combat and projectile hit detection, stuff like that but, witchaven gdx doesn't use this patch, I don't know if you can program witchaven gdx to work with EGWhaven, that would be great too!

I don't know what the enemy type is because this is my first time playing. I made it to level 12 and there's a pentagram surrounded by pillars that won't move. I've been looking for a switch and can't find it but in that room with the pentagram there was a tough creature in the room. It fell off the platform into the water and then (I think) it turned invisible and I couldn't hit it. Couldn't even use Nuke. But it could fire red projectiles at me.

Edit: I found the switch it was just in a very un-obvious spot.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 18 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 18 March 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I don't know what the enemy type is because this is my first time playing. I made it to level 12 and there's a pentagram surrounded by pillars that won't move. I've been looking for a switch and can't find it but in that room with the pentagram there was a tough creature in the room. It fell off the platform into the water and then (I think) it turned invisible and I couldn't hit it. Couldn't even use Nuke. But it could fire red projectiles at me.

Edit: I found the switch it was just in a very un-obvious spot.

Ah yes! That's a common witchavenGDX glitch! Devils and Skully sometimes turn invisible in the water, this doesn't happen in the dos version of the game!, Devil is a red demon that its immune to the freeze spell, throws a fireball and it's kinda hard to kill without a resist fire potion! If is on the water, don't even bother to kill that thing!

I started playing Witchaven thanks to the GDX. I knew the game had a reputation for being bad so I was wondering "Why is this Russian guy doing Witchaven GDX?" GGGMan gave it a very lukewarm reception:

To my surprise I started to like it. The first level is very rough around the edges and you're pretty much guaranteed to die at least once. But I kept going with it and right now I'm at level 5 and hit level 7 or 8. The claymation models are fun though they have limited frames of animation. The other big, gaping, and very noticeable flaws being the lack of music, the hit-detection, and the lack of a stamina bar on weapons. You could argue that the lack of music was an aesthetic choice but I think it was done because of programming limitations.

I hope mod support can happen because a few tiny fixes and you suddenly have a great oldschool first person hack and slash game.

Just add ambient music.
Fix the hit-detection.
Slightly Increase the running speed of your character. The platforming with lava is pretty "cheap" not unless you have a ton of fire-resistant spells.

As-is it's merely pretty good. But there's something seriously wrong that I can play this and not be terribly stumped as to where to go next but yet I can Shadow Warrior and need to look up a Let's Play in order to find a key or a door.

Why don't you have any music in GDX ?
Normally there are music in Whaven and I don't see why they decided to remove them for GDX, especially since they're just MIDI files which could either be extracted or recorded >_>

I haven't tried GDX yet but playing without music sounds kinda boring to me since there's not much ambiant sounds in the game (yet there are still more present than in Duke3D IMO) ...

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 18 March 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

I haven't tried GDX yet but playing without music sounds kinda boring to me since there are not many ambient sounds in the game (yet there are still more present than in Duke3D IMO) ...

There's music don't worry, the good old witchaven buggy and glitched vanilla songs from dos version! Ah yes! Bad looping, If you load a game it plays a whole different song (its random sometimes), and if you die and restart, it starts the level 1 song sometimes! Great isn't it? All of this happens in the dos version too!, There are some good midis in this game but too bad they were poorly implemented :) .

View PostTheXna, on 19 March 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

There's music don't worry, the good old witchaven buggy and glitched vanilla songs from dos version! Ah yes! Bad looping, If you load a game it plays a whole different song (its random sometimes), and if you die and restart, it starts the level 1 song sometimes! Great isn't it? All of this happens in the dos version too!, There are some good midis in this game but too bad they were poorly implemented :) .

Indeed

I believe the music actually starts being random from level 3 or 4 onwards because from what I saw on DOSBox the first two levels ALWAYS have the same musics but I don't really remember for afterwards >_>

User is offline   Caleb280 

Just add ambient music.
Fix the hit-detection.

Hey BRUNO MATTEI. Witchaven2 has some better gameplay mechanics like Spell System and much better maps. Map01 is better than any Whaven1 map. If you like Wh1 then you'll also like Wh2. Bought myself a copy for christmas back in 1996. Good old days.

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostCaleb280, on 21 March 2018 - 02:59 AM, said:

Hey BRUNO MATTEI. Witchaven2 has some better gameplay mechanics like Spell System and much better maps. Map01 is better than any Whaven1 map. If you like Wh1 then you'll also like Wh2. Bought myself a copy for christmas back in 1996. Good old days.

Is all about personal taste, I do like WH1 Maps! WH2 Maps Are bigger with full of traps and maze-like design, but it has a charm where there is a pretty good detail about map environment in WH2! There are some ROR Mirror effects, Which is pretty cool, WH2 Build engine is a *improve* Version than WH1 Build engine, the bad thing is, they didn't fix anything! It has the same bugs (even more than WH1 Cause it has more stuff on it) If you freeze every new enemy in WH2 and wait till they unfreeze, it will crash the god damn game! (Most of the time) Some exp errors too! WH2 Code seems pretty rushed Like WH1 Was! There's still Music problems and Ambient desync too! I agree, there's some new stuff to play with, A few more mechanics to the weapons and some spells that replace others, The new enemies too, Overall WH2 has a lot more stuff to do than WH1, just because the maps are bigger and things like that, I don't like the traps that much though, But you can't deny that WH1 Maps aren't fun to play, Sure there are some questionable Platforming, but its the classic formula that keeps WH Alive for me (Looking for a Key, grab the penta and Ready to go!) Its about exploring and WH1 Does a damn goob job at that, much as WH2 but the difference is the ambient, WH1 ambient and environment is unique WH1 has a lot to offer, Those aren't simply maps either! If you press a switch or If you grab a key, you don't know where to go! (Same with WH2) but that's another charm that the WH Series have.

User is offline   Jamesfff 

Just a quick note - the door out of the entry room of level 3 won't open for some reason.

User is offline   TheXna 

View PostDevon, on 08 October 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

There is a guy who is doing some work on wichaven and wichaven II but for some crazy reason i cant understand he has not ported the source to windows...but lets it all run in dosbox.

here is a link to his page http://ettingrinder....h-egwhaven.html

Is anyone doing anything with Wichaven atm?

The wichaven games could be real cool if a proper port was realised. Just imagine better movement and controls at the very least could make these two games become so much more fun to play.

I would gladly donate some cash to anyone who makes a real windows port.

Well, I'm remaking the whole Witchaven campaign and other stuff as well, Witchaven GDX Is a very good port! For a beta state its great, Really, Its fully playable, Better controls (You can aim with freelook!, Holy crap!), WAY better hit detection. (And the framerate, Jesus!)

People might not get this but Witchaven itself was hella glitchy, So, Witchaven GDX has the same bugs from The vanilla - Dos version!, But there's some stuff that this Port has to fix(Minor things actually), Water glitch, Making some of the monsters invisible on the water (Check some of my videos to see with more detail), And Fatwiz Missing sounds, Thats all!, The music is poorly implemented too, but thats the fault of capstone, Not this port!, I wish alexander could fix these problems, Thought most of the problems are fixed by EGWhaven patches so, M210 Could some day implement these!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options