Duke4.net Forums: My god, George was an even bigger dickhead than I thought! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My god, George was an even bigger dickhead than I thought!

User is offline   Kennerado 

• Honored Donor

It is a pretty interesting situation and I'd love to see some kind of documentary or book written about the development of the game. When you hear about how guys were hired on low salaries with the promise of profit share from shipped titles, then guys getting pissed when the team got bigger because their share of profits would get smaller. Also the stories about how when GB finally got serious and hired more leaders/team members and these guys were mercenaries that demanded more money than the loyal members who had been there for years. One of the worst stories I heard was how Steve Hornback was fired after he had a stroke, and 3DR apparently cut his Duke 3D royalty percentage from 3% to 1%. I REALLY hope there is more to that, because if that's true about how Hornback was fired then GB and SM are pieces of shit for treating a loyal talented developer like that.

This post has been edited by Kennerado: 19 September 2018 - 03:08 AM

User is offline   justLMAO 

^ Agreed, a "making of" documentary would be dope. It would be interesting to see some footage of the game being made in the Duke's Enormous Tool editor.

However, I don't know that I'd call the guys who negotiated for a higher wage "mercenaries." There was clearly some resentment towards them from the "old guard" (who had apparently been indoctrinated Mass Effect style into working 80-hour weeks for a quarter of what they could get from other companies) but these so-called "mercenaries" were just being smart. If you can get more money then go for it. Being a "nice guy" doesn't pay the bills.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View Postnecroslut, on 15 September 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

People who buy FPS games for consoles partly have themselves to blame, though. :rolleyes:

Not at all, console first person shooters can be superb. To me, the four best first person shooters ever made (Goldeneye N64, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, and Timespltters: Future Perfect) are console-only, though they should have been on the PC too so they could have been played by more people.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't agree they're the best really at all, but that team was responsible for the best shooters on console in their day for sure. But sorry, nothing compares to PC shooters. Not even Goldeneye.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Those aren't THE best, but they are definitely better than a lot of PC FPS games; at least the Timesplitters series anyway. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark haven't aged too gracefully. Hopefully the remaster happens and comes to PC.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostKerr Avon, on 26 September 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

Not at all, console first person shooters can be superb. To me, the four best first person shooters ever made (Goldeneye N64, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, and Timespltters: Future Perfect) are console-only, though they should have been on the PC too so they could have been played by more people.

All of those were specifically designed for consoles, they weren't multiplatform titles or ports. They also play pretty uniquely and not that much like most FPS games.
Sure, DNF was gimped and cut to pieces for the sake of consoles, but it wasn't really designed for it, neither their controllers nor their specs.

User is offline   justLMAO 

View PostShaq Fu, on 01 August 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

I explorered the game with noclip to absolutely insane levels. DNF has a ridiculous amount of details nobody will ever notice or see

Such as? Besides the stuff the OP posted

Any cool stuff in the multiplayer maps?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options