Duke4.net Forums: My god, George was an even bigger dickhead than I thought! - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My god, George was an even bigger dickhead than I thought!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Duke4 Thot Patrol

View PostAltered Reality, on 24 August 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Ergo, the engine is not to blame. Incompetence is.

Look at this amazing argument of semantics.

User is online   BestViking 

If they went with one of the earliest iterations, the game would have been much better for the time, because all the idiotic practises of today was not mainstream yet, like long cutscenes, QTY, "muh emotional story", and all the other garbage that influences modern game development. You'd have a game that would run well, focus on the action and gameplay and therefore be more in harmony with the theme/setting. The longer they waited, and for each engine migration, new standards were set that they were compelled to adhere to, and the further the game drifted from its roots because of this.

Once multiplatform became "mandatory", it was more or less the final nail in the coffin. It just could not have been any good after that unless the devs developed for PC first and then shaved off of that version for the consoles. But we can't have any inequality, right? We can't imply that those on a platform with hardware that is locked for 7 or so years should have a worse experience than those who shell out the bucks for a dynamic platform. Even if you pay more, you should have the same shitty experience, because the game is developed around the lowest common denominator.

It was really the first time the game was restarted that doomed it, because this was just the time when everything started to go downhill. Prior to that, consoles were in an ecosystem of their own. The platforms had different things to offer, and you were really compelled to own both consoles and a PC because they had different strengths. They offered different things. Once that changed, pretty much everything went downhill.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

A friend of mine recently got a degree in videogame development, and he confirms what has been said here already.

Basically what is not meant to be seen should not be developed or built, because it's a waste of resources. The fact that there are chunks of maps missing it's because the camera will not ever show them to the player.

That's how you make maps in games, it's been this way since forever (no pun intended)

User is offline   SeeJaneWun 

View PostPsyrgery, on 04 September 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

A friend of mine recently got a degree in videogame development...

Posted Image

What your friend said is fine despite them spending money unnecessarily. That said it's a bit like explaining that in order to walk you have to alternate the positions of your feet. However if you aren't sure precisely where you're going, you're likely to leave footprints (level geometry) in places you wouldn't have if you knew your destination ahead of time.

This post has been edited by SeeJaneWun: 10 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options