Duke4.net Forums: Difficuty customization in BloodGDX - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difficuty customization in BloodGDX

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

There is basically only one thing I don't like in Blood: they way difficulty settings scale. Contrary to how other classic FPS games scale in difficulty Blood not only increases enemy numbers but also enemy damage and enemy health values because higher difficulties were designed with co-op in mind. As a result Well Done and Extra Crispy not only become really freakin' hard, the game also starts to feel a bit wrong: your weapons feel weak, enemies kill you incredibly fast to the point where taking them on head on becomes kinda suicidal so the gameplay boils down to knowing what comes your way and using the dynamite's alt-fire to get rid of the opposition. That's not enjoyable at all and makes the game very frustrating to pick up on higher difficulties.

The enemy damage and health values of Lightly Broiled are perfect: your weapons are powerful, the enemies are not bullet sponges, you have a lot of options in combat but you never feel like you can just mindlessly mow everything down. I'd love to play against a larger number of enemies with the damage and health values of Lightly Broiled so here's what I'd really, really like to see in BloodGDX: an option to customize difficulty more by having separate "enemy number" and "enemy damage and health" difficulty settings.

Could this be done somehow?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 30 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   m210® 

It's possible. But I can't do it while BloodGDX has different with original Blood

User is offline   Romulus 

The difficulty levels are fine IMO.

I would like an option for a bunch more enemies but not scaling them in difficulty.

I like the parts in the alpha levels where there's a whole bunch of them to mow through bad-ass style.

This post has been edited by MariusArmand: 31 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

User is offline   Devon 

View PostMariusArmand, on 31 July 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

I would like an option for a bunch more enemies but not scaling them in difficulty.

I like the parts in the alpha levels where there's a whole bunch of them to mow through bad-ass style.

that would be nice.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostRomulus, on 31 July 2017 - 02:58 AM, said:

The difficulty levels are fine IMO.

They can feel like that if you're a seasoned veteran who knows all the levels really well but to quote the manual:

"Extra Crispy was designed with cooperative play in mind and may therefore seem a bit too challenging
to a single player. Not that we expect that to stop you."

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostM210, on 30 July 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

It's possible. But I can't do it while BloodGDX has different with original Blood

Nice, thank you! :thumbsup:

User is offline   Manhs 

It could be broken, BLOOD is not made to be played like DOOM or Heretic, like a full run&gun, it's not that at all.

Blood is made with a creepy atmosphere and force you to use trick to kill the enemies, specially the cultists types since they can pixelshot you. If you make it like a run&gun or easier difficulty (less damage, more ennemies), it could be ridiculous, that's not the point of BLOOD.

I have played the original game and expansions sometimes and it's not that hard, you have to not rush and go slowly, everything is in the "walking slowly in a dark atmosphere and using evil tricks to kill your enemies", it's all about a gameplay style, just take your time.

That's your opinion. I've enjoyed the fast runs through it just as much as the hard.

Throwing dynamite in a horde of zombies = great fun for me.

Some of the big levels in the alpha support that thought.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostManhs, on 02 August 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

It could be broken, BLOOD is not made to be played like DOOM or Heretic, like a full run&gun, it's not that at all.

Blood is made with a creepy atmosphere and force you to use trick to kill the enemies, specially the cultists types since they can pixelshot you. If you make it like a run&gun or easier difficulty (less damage, more ennemies), it could be ridiculous, that's not the point of BLOOD.

I'm not trying to say that the gameplay is bad, I just said that I don't like how the difficulty settings scale. Personally I don't like how Well Done and Extra Crispy is forcing you into one specific playstyle that is all about knowing the enemy placements before you encounter them. If you like that kind of gameplay then I'm not saying you should play the game differently, I'd just like to have more options because I don't.

As for a change like that breaking the game: guess we'd need to test it to really find out but I doubt it would make the gameplay lose its balance as the enemy placements are already set at Well Done and Extra Crispy. I think it would only make higher difficulties more playable in single player.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Jim 

enemies health, enemies damage, and enemies number should all be done independently adjustable. All after fixing up the main game, of course

This post has been edited by Jim: 03 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   SFJake 

I just want lower player damage. In the original game, there is a bug that when you load the game, it uses the wrong damage value against the player. But that made Extra Crispy fun. Now I hate it.

I tried to hack it but I'm bad at it. Its just not fun at all with the insane damage.

User is offline   TheXna 

Doing some stuff here, just wait for it !

View PostM210, on 30 July 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?

anyhow, i second this, a custom difficulty slider would be a nice quality of life feature...
Just to let you all know its not impossible to play extra crispy by yourself, though it's difficult and you'll have to save/load a fair bit on hard parts. I usually play well done without too many problems.

The main problem with the game's difficulty is the hit-scan ability of the Cultists. That alone makes even Lightly Broiled a challenge at times depending on the map. Being able to adjust the Cultists hit-scan abilities or even being able to tweak their projectiles entirely would be interesting.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostBruno Mattei, on 11 September 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

The main problem with the game's difficulty is the hit-scan ability of the Cultists. That alone makes even Lightly Broiled a challenge at times depending on the map. Being able to adjust the Cultists hit-scan abilities or even being able to tweak their projectiles entirely would be interesting.

Honestly I think that's just part of the gameplay: Blood is not about being able to avoid every single bullet that goes your way, it's about countering the hits you take by managing your health and armor.

I don't think the difficulty is terrible. As I said, it all depends on enemy placement, and mods love to throw a bunch of Cultists at you at once in an ambush.

Cultists aren't hitscan, from distance their accurracy is like 70% and up close 90% they move a lot and lose accuracy when you do the same, it's their damage, projectiles spread and range works better than your shots with autoaim because to put simply they are machine, bots, simple CON files tied to the renderer, less obscured by geometry unless you make them so level/game side. The only game with 100% aimbot hitscan enemies is Blood2. But also that lack of 100% surgical precision both with flawed enemy AI and renderer, design, aim is part of the charm.

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 13 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHenitoKisou, on 13 September 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

Cultists aren't hitscan

They are if you take the "classic" definition of hitscan (I don't think there's an other definition honestly): their shots hit the target instantly as they fire their gun so instead of dodging skill the player is tied to cover or to the game's RNG. The fact that their accuracy isn't 100% doesn't really matter, as you've said 100% accurate enemies are super rare in FPS titles (and if they occur it's usually bad game design or an unfinished game).

Hitscan by definition is instant and continuous fire upon target with high accuracy like target lock regardless of position, the fact that they miss after second or third shot or even can miss first attack when you move doesn't make them hitscan. Hitscan enemies were in Doom2, not here.

User is offline   Killes 

Hitscan only refers to the instant "speed' of the enemies projectile (there is actually no projectile). The weapon "scans" for the player when fired, if he is in the line of sight/aim of the weapon he is hit no matter how fast or where he is moving.

I definitely feel that due to these mechanics the cultists feel dangerous and not to be too lightly approached even though they are a common and plentiful enemy.

A challenge is good, even on lightly broiled, this is 90's FPS not pansy "oh sorry I did not want to frustrate you please don't give us a shit review" modern FPS :)

This post has been edited by Killes: 13 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHenitoKisou, on 13 September 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

Hitscan by definition is instant and continuous fire upon target with high accuracy like target lock regardless of position, the fact that they miss after second or third shot or even can miss first attack when you move doesn't make them hitscan. Hitscan enemies were in Doom2, not here.

By that definition classic Doom definitely did not have hitscan enemies then: the shotgun sergeants and the regular zombiemen all miss their shots very frequently.

I think you don't know what hitscan means, refer to Killes' definition, that's a great - and factual - one.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostZaxx, on 13 September 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

...100% accurate enemies are super rare in FPS titles (and if they occur it's usually bad game design or an unfinished game).

Loque from Unreal Tournament wants a word with you. :)

View PostZaxx, on 13 September 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

By that definition classic Doom definitely did not have hitscan enemies then: the shotgun sergeants and the regular zombiemen all miss their shots very frequently.

I think you don't know what hitscan means, refer to Killes' definition, that's a great - and factual - one.

Chaingunners, Arch-Viles, Spider Mastermind are hitscanners in Doom. In Blood only Priest, Stone Gargoyle and Tchernobog are hitscanners.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHenitoKisou, on 13 September 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

No, hitscan refers to the process by which a ray is followed to "scan" for a target until it find what it "hits", instantaneously and with no game-world projectile being spawned to make its way over. Specifics about weapons, attack patterns, and accuracy are irrelevant.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Why Stone Gargoyle is a hitscanner? You can dodge his projectiles. Shotgun and Tommy Gun cultists are the main scanners and on Well Done and Extra Crispy they're 99% accurate, at least for my taste. And isn't melee a hitscan attack for a close range too?

View PostDzierzan, on 13 September 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

Why Stone Gargoyle is a hitscanner? You can dodge his projectiles. Shotgun and Tommy Gun cultists are the main scanners and on Well Done and Extra Crispy they're 99% accurate, at least for my taste. And isn't melee a hitscan attack for a close range too?

His eye attack is repatedly almost aimbot accuracy until you break his line of sight and gain distance or move to different side - fast, if too slow he will still be tracking you. Fanatics and Cultists do not shoot all the time, change position etc. For the same reason I didn't consider dudes with tesla as one or anachrotrons, too big interval and it breaks when you gain distance instead of being wave. Auto/machine/serial/burst attacks are not hitscan. This must be a invisible ray with you locked as a target that do not change and is continuous, very fast, not just recoil-o-rama on you and near. ;p

I don't care about technicals how it's done code wise as there can be various schools behind it but how it works by gameplay wise/correct one.
It's opposite order, first is the scan on you from surroundings, then you are marked as that target, then it's locked that way and it hits regardless of amount of projectiles, speed, range or types of attack. The only way to cancel hitscan attack is to break that line between you and one doing attack - this is true hitscanner. Tracking beams, homing/seekiing is different thing.

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 13 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHenitoKisou, on 13 September 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't care about technicals

Well, that's quite evident from your posts. :) I'm sorry but you simply don't know what you're talking about and you're going down the rabbit hole so fast with every post that frankly I don't even get what's your point.

View PostZaxx, on 13 September 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Well, that's quite evident from your posts. :) I'm sorry but you simply don't know what you're talking about and you're going down the rabbit hole so fast with every post that frankly I don't even get what's your point.

You mistaken something with that cat-reversal: it's not the means, the way, style, technique of doing simething that is important - it's the result, gameplay, end effects that matters the most. Code is written for game, not game written for code. Tools are made for goals, language, perception etc - not you for them. Gameplay/design is the law and shouldn't be ever affected or misguided. This is especially true in case of this game and its design ideas, origins.

Knowledge is a process of experiencing information/event through individual perception regardless of how you rationalize it, bielieve, learned or authorities told you so. ;-P

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 13 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The program is that "hitscan" is purely a technical term. The extra gameplay-based strings you attached are simply incorrect.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options