Duke4.net Forums: Difficuty customization in BloodGDX - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difficuty customization in BloodGDX

User is offline   Zaxx 

There is basically only one thing I don't like in Blood: they way difficulty settings scale. Contrary to how other classic FPS games scale in difficulty Blood not only increases enemy numbers but also enemy damage and enemy health values because higher difficulties were designed with co-op in mind. As a result Well Done and Extra Crispy not only become really freakin' hard, the game also starts to feel a bit wrong: your weapons feel weak, enemies kill you incredibly fast to the point where taking them on head on becomes kinda suicidal so the gameplay boils down to knowing what comes your way and using the dynamite's alt-fire to get rid of the opposition. That's not enjoyable at all and makes the game very frustrating to pick up on higher difficulties.

The enemy damage and health values of Lightly Broiled are perfect: your weapons are powerful, the enemies are not bullet sponges, you have a lot of options in combat but you never feel like you can just mindlessly mow everything down. I'd love to play against a larger number of enemies with the damage and health values of Lightly Broiled so here's what I'd really, really like to see in BloodGDX: an option to customize difficulty more by having separate "enemy number" and "enemy damage and health" difficulty settings.

Could this be done somehow?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 30 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   M210 

It's possible. But I can't do it while BloodGDX has different with original Blood

User is offline   Romulus 

The difficulty levels are fine IMO.

User is offline   MariusArmand 

I would like an option for a bunch more enemies but not scaling them in difficulty.

I like the parts in the alpha levels where there's a whole bunch of them to mow through bad-ass style.

This post has been edited by MariusArmand: 31 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

User is offline   Devon 

MariusArmand, on 31 July 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

I would like an option for a bunch more enemies but not scaling them in difficulty.

I like the parts in the alpha levels where there's a whole bunch of them to mow through bad-ass style.

that would be nice.

User is offline   Zaxx 

Romulus, on 31 July 2017 - 02:58 AM, said:

The difficulty levels are fine IMO.

They can feel like that if you're a seasoned veteran who knows all the levels really well but to quote the manual:

"Extra Crispy was designed with cooperative play in mind and may therefore seem a bit too challenging
to a single player. Not that we expect that to stop you."

User is offline   Zaxx 

M210, on 30 July 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

It's possible. But I can't do it while BloodGDX has different with original Blood

Nice, thank you! :)

User is offline   Manhs 

It could be broken, BLOOD is not made to be played like DOOM or Heretic, like a full run&gun, it's not that at all.

Blood is made with a creepy atmosphere and force you to use trick to kill the enemies, specially the cultists types since they can pixelshot you. If you make it like a run&gun or easier difficulty (less damage, more ennemies), it could be ridiculous, that's not the point of BLOOD.

I have played the original game and expansions sometimes and it's not that hard, you have to not rush and go slowly, everything is in the "walking slowly in a dark atmosphere and using evil tricks to kill your enemies", it's all about a gameplay style, just take your time.

User is offline   MariusArmand 

That's your opinion. I've enjoyed the fast runs through it just as much as the hard.

Throwing dynamite in a horde of zombies = great fun for me.

Some of the big levels in the alpha support that thought.

User is offline   Zaxx 

View PostManhs, on 02 August 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

It could be broken, BLOOD is not made to be played like DOOM or Heretic, like a full run&gun, it's not that at all.

Blood is made with a creepy atmosphere and force you to use trick to kill the enemies, specially the cultists types since they can pixelshot you. If you make it like a run&gun or easier difficulty (less damage, more ennemies), it could be ridiculous, that's not the point of BLOOD.

I'm not trying to say that the gameplay is bad, I just said that I don't like how the difficulty settings scale. Personally I don't like how Well Done and Extra Crispy is forcing you into one specific playstyle that is all about knowing the enemy placements before you encounter them. If you like that kind of gameplay then I'm not saying you should play the game differently, I'd just like to have more options because I don't.

As for a change like that breaking the game: guess we'd need to test it to really find out but I doubt it would make the gameplay lose its balance as the enemy placements are already set at Well Done and Extra Crispy. I think it would only make higher difficulties more playable in single player.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

User is online   Jim 

enemies health, enemies damage, and enemies number should all be done independently adjustable. All after fixing up the main game, of course

This post has been edited by Jim: 03 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

User is offline   SFJake 

I just want lower player damage. In the original game, there is a bug that when you load the game, it uses the wrong damage value against the player. But that made Extra Crispy fun. Now I hate it.

I tried to hack it but I'm bad at it. Its just not fun at all with the insane damage.

User is offline   TheXna 

Doing some stuff here, just wait for it !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2017 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options