Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem in Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" movie - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem in Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" movie

User is offline   LkMax 

I'd guess it was the other way around.

"they call our generation the missing millions"
Do you, personally, have any qualities besides being part of a certain generation with a mysterious label? No? Nothing at all? Take your time, I'll wait...
"missing not because we went anywhere"
Oh, so it's because you're useless? I'm not sure I can sympathize with good-for-nothing characters. You're off to a bad start buddy.
"there's nowhere left to go"
Something tells me your generation is called this way because you really went somewhere and you only made that allusion earlier because you wanted a "clever" reveal, didn't you?
"nowhere, except..."
And here we go! Brilliant writing. Congrats, somebody gives that guy an Oscar whether he wants it or not! They actually went missing somewhere. Woah, what a trip! You got it? YOU GOT IT?

Rest of the trailer: References. Virtual world. References. Superlatives. References. "Are you ready?" Aaaaand done... nothing more... no idea what the movie is about, if it wasn't for the constant flow of references, and the "hi, I have no name but I'm part of my generation", there would be nothing in the trailer (hell, even the title is a reference).

This thing is giving me flashbacks of how Duke Nukem was shoehorned into Bulletstorm. "Hey, do you like Tomb Raider? Then you're going to love Shadow Warrior, because Lara Croft makes a cameo in there! Oh, you prefer Commander Keen? Check out Doom, I'm sure you'll cheer with joy the moment he'll show up on the screen! You know what would be really great? A book in which you'd have both Commander Keen and Lara Croft showing up! I'm sure the story will really stand out on its own merit, because if I learned anything from FoodFight!, it's that references are a reliable substitute to actual content. Can't write a joke, find a funny thing to write on a t-shirt, or come up with anything interesting to tell in your story? Make references! Bazinga! Did I do that? Duh!"

No, sorry. I'm not Pavlov's dog, I don't feel any ounce of sympathy for piggybacking (it's a gimmick that relies solely on the reputation of other creative works that passed the test of time - which is not the case of the movie making the reference), and I despise the patronizing tone of it all; the "holy grail of pop culture"? Holy shit, kill me already. This is an abomination of a circle jerk in which not even bystanders are safe from catching an STD. I never defended a sequel to any franchise I enjoy because I know a name and a face is not enough to get a good product; this thing is no exception. Should I feel nostalgic for the DeLorean, I can just go watch Back To The Future...

(I never thought I'd react that badly to a movie trailer - I felt the urge to log in and write an entire rant for fuck's sake! That's how bad it looks to me.)
(Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have a long, cold shower)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm going to reserve judgement until more details come out.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Just got back from the movie.

Spoiler

• Honored Donor

View PostxMobilemux, on 11 April 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

Just got back from the movie.

Spoiler

I saw it last weekend. I didn't even spot him, and I thought I knew what I was looking for.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie. It was fun, immersive, had a good action and pacing. The plot was also quite reasonable. Certainly an above-average movie.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 April 2018 - 12:32 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I saw him. It was fun, if very brief. I told my Son before we saw it "I expect you to show proper respect, this is the first movie in which Duke Nukem appears, actually on screen." For my troubles, I got 'contempt face #12.
I enjoyed seeing MechaGodzilla. I was looking out for the Doom Guy as well. Someone said that they saw them in the first battle, but I didn't catch it.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostTea Monster, on 12 April 2018 - 04:46 AM, said:

I saw him. It was fun, if very brief. I told my Son before we saw it "I expect you to show proper respect, this is the first movie in which Duke Nukem appears, actually on screen." For my troubles, I got 'contempt face #12.
I enjoyed seeing MechaGodzilla. I was looking out for the Doom Guy as well. Someone said that they saw them in the first battle, but I didn't catch it.

I believe the only reference to any id Software product is the fact one planet is called planet Doom, and yes it's been confirmed a reference to Doom.

User is offline   ---- 

Saw the movie too.

My friends and me might be alone with this, but just a few appearances for the sake of appearances instead of having at least a bit impact on the story/action is like taking a photo of my A-Team van and praising it as a reference to the eighties.
Yes, a few things had heavy impact, the rest was just there for ... well ... it was there.

And the longer you think about the movie, the more the whole thing falls apart.

But yes, one wasn't bored while watching it.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I couldn't stand the gun scene at the end. WTF?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTea Monster, on 14 April 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

I couldn't stand the gun scene at the end. WTF?

But that multibilliondollar company from the future hunted the heroes' van down ... with everything a multibilliondollar company from the future can throw at them ... which was about 4 or 5 small quadcopter drones.

EDIT:
They could have afforded more drones, if they sent people into the Oasis with signs and other stuff for advertising ... you know, to make more money by advertising before taking over the Oasis.
And believe me ... a bunch of "trolls" in the form of Trolls would have helped them against the heroes in the final VR-battle. You know, that's online life. :P
Also missing were the people who draw penisses everywhere or even are penisses (in a world where you can be whatever you want I expected at least 4% of people being penisses).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

User is offline   Mark 

The dozens or more mini-cameo appearances are so short because it will boost the ordering of the movie after it's theatre run where people will get to freeze frame the scenes looking for their heroes.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMark., on 14 April 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

The dozens or more mini-cameo appearances are so short because it will boost the ordering of the movie after it's theatre run where people will get to freeze frame the scenes looking for their heroes.

But why?
If I want to see a picture of the Tron bike I google "Tron bike" and look at a picture of it?

Doing that for a movie where that asset has no use is as stupid as all the people withinin the movie at the end when the huge online battle rages on and all the people wear their VR-headsets in the streets but aren't running into walls and lanterns and onto the streets to be run over by a car. Obvioulsy only the heroes need to hang from ropes and use the conveyor belts beneath their feet to run and move around .... everybody else only needs to stand still on the sidewalk to fight Mechagodzilla (but of course nobody is around to rob them). :P

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

• Honored Donor

Yeah the interface makes no sense. What do you do when you sit down, or when you’re dancing with no gravity? It would have made more sense if it was a direct connection to the brain like in the Matrix.

I didn’t watch it for the 80’s cameos. I watched it because it had good word of mouth.

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

I have to say, duke's appearance was awesome and I am glad he even made it into the film. I mean, where was Gordon Freeman?

Also present was Duke's M1911! Love how nobody pointed that out.

It was a great film over all, and I cpuldn't be more pleased. :P

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I watched it yesterday and was amazed about the multitude of references to games, movies and music. It's virtually impossible to catch everything right away, some scenes probably require a frame-by-frame analysis to spot all the details. Gratefully I kinda knew where to expect Duke to appear, and even though it was a really short moment, it was awesome and felt great to see the character on the big screen for a change, even if it was nothing more than a small cameo for the lulz.

The movie was quite entertaining. Can't tell if it's close to the book or not since I have never read it, but it's a topic that certainly fits into our time with VR taking the next step. Now I am just waiting for the time when you can actually become part of the movie when wearing VR gear. But first we need to have better hardware that does not require you to wear a blocky visor and stuff that covers your ears so much. I already have quite some issues with many 3D glasses in movie theatres since they start hurting my nose after a while. And they absorb too much light from the screen, making the image darker.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 April 2018 - 12:45 AM

These are all the Duke References I could find in the movie.
Posted Image

What's that first gun? Something from the DNF MP DLC?

View PostPikaCommando, on 19 July 2018 - 11:39 PM, said:

What's that first gun? Something from the DNF MP DLC?

It's the Nukem Launcher from Borderlands 2.
Can't see in that image, but it has Duke's Nuke symbol on the side.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options