Duke4.net Forums: Portable Java and BloodGDX - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Portable Java and BloodGDX

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Until recently, I have avoided this ingenious port with great regret because I absolutely hate to install Java runtimes on my computer. However, there seems to be a way to use it with portable binaries:

1) Get jPortable and jPortableLauncher. Extract both files to a folder, e.g. "BloodGDX". Make sure you leave the original folder structures intact (CommonFiles\Java and JavaPortableLauncher)!
2) Place bloodgfx.jar and all required Blood game files into the extraction folder ("BloodGDX" in our example).
3) Enter the JavaPortableLauncher folder, launch LavaPortableLauncher.exe, select bloodgdx.jar and go!

Just to make sure to have the correct folder structure - your BloodGDX folder should contain these dirs and files:

[SUBDIR] CommonFiles
[SUBDIR] JavaPortableLauncher
[FILE] bloodgdx.jar

Maybe this helps other people out there who have a similar attitude towards Java installations. Enjoy! ^^

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 June 2017 - 04:45 AM

User is offline   Manhs 

There could be a way to get the port with only 1 winrar folder?

Like, if people dont want install java or anything like it, they could use a whole new installer with BloodGDX?

• The Truth is in here

I have created a repacked version that contains:
- jPortable
- jPortableLauncher (modified version by Blobfish so that the launcher accepts arguments)
- bloodgdx.jar (v0.771)
- bloodgdx.bat (for easy launching without having to choose bloodgdx.jar manually)
- bloodgdx.txt (renamed BloodGDX readme file)

BloodGDX v0.771 with portable Java (7zip SFX, 43.3 MB)

Instructions:
- Extract file. It will create a "BloodGDX" folder.
- Place all required Blood files into BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher subdir (where bloodgdx.jar resides)
- Run bloodgdx.bat. The BloodGDX launcher will pop up.
- Run the game.

Notes:
- bloodgdx.jar and Blood files MUST be located in BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher if you want to use the batch file.
- You can easily update BloodGDX by replacing bloodgdx.jar in BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher with a newer release at any time.
- No need to ever update jPortable or jPortableLauncher, they will always work with BloodGDX.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Devon 

View PostNightFright, on 30 June 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

I have created a repacked version that contains:
- jPortable
- jPortableLauncher (modified version by Blobfish so that the launcher accepts arguments)
- bloodgdx.jar (v0.769)
- bloodgdx.bat (for easy launching without having to choose bloodgdx.jar manually)
- bloodgdx.txt (renamed BloodGDX readme file)

BloodGDX v0.769 with portable Java (7zip SFX, 43.7 MB)

Instructions:
- Place all required Blood files into BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher subdir (where bloodgdx.jar resides)
- Run bloodgdx.bat. The BloodGDX launcher will pop up.
- Run the game.

Notes:
- bloodgdx.jar and Blood files MUST be located in BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher if you want to use the batch file.
- You can easily update BloodGDX by replacing bloodgdx.jar in BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher with a newer release at any time.
- No need to ever update jPortable or jPortableLauncher, they will always work with BloodGDX.

Thank you! =)

User is offline   Manhs 

Nice, i will share it if people ask me (:

User is offline   Skulldog 

I hate installing java, Thanks.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Many thanks for the portable pack :)

This topic should be pinned (should be made sticky)

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 24 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postsupergoofy, on 24 September 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

(should be made sticky)

Given the general reactions of the blood fans to this port that shouldn't be an issue Posted Image

da bum tsss

User is offline   kimec 

You don't install Java, you just unpack it from a zip file like this one.

:rolleyes: In case you missed it, the GitHub project with pre-built Windows OpenJDK Java 8 binaries is right HERE :excl:

Please do your self a favor and use a proper open source OpenJDK build instead of ..., ah, never mind.

Java 101 for a curious Blood/BloodGDX fan
You see, there is no single version of Java. Multiple vendors have their own branded "Java versions". Oracle has one, IBM has one, Azul systems has one etc.
For some unknown reason, people land at Oracle and think they need to install Oracle Java, which installs a boatload of stuff you don't need. The truth is, you don't need Oracle Java to run BloodGDX.
There is this thing called OpenJDK, a.k.a RI (Java Reference Implementation) which is under GPL and open source. It works like this: Java is developed in open but the companies funding the development brand it with their stuff and bundle it with their products before it could reach customers. So, in essence, all you need to do is to get hold of the not-yet-branded reference Java implementation a.k.a OpenJDK and either build it your self or get pre-built binaries for your platform and voilà you have installer-less vendor-less Java... end of story.

And yes, BloodGDX works with OpenJDK just fine. I know because I play it that way, on Linux.

DISCLAIMER: I have no Windows. Somebody with that operating system should take the above OpenJDK build for a ride.

• The Truth is in here

I have updated the portable Java package a bit.

Changelog:
- Replaced bloodgdx.bat with bloodgdx.exe (featuring a nice Blood icon)
- Replaced jPortableLauncher v3.0 with v4.0 release
- Updated bloodgdx.jar to latest version (v0.789)
- Includes voxel pack (blood_voxels.zip) in autoload dir

BloodGDX v0.789 with portable Java (7zip SFX, 44.4 MB)

Instructions:
- Run bloodgdx.exe. The BloodGDX launcher will pop up.
- Run the game.

Notes:
- bloodgdx.jar and Blood files MUST be located in BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher if you want to use the executable.
- Do not move bloodgdx.exe elsewhere or it will stop working.
- Update BloodGDX: Replace/overwrite bloodgdx.jar in BloodGDX\JavaPortableLauncher.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

• The Truth is in here

I just realized that the voxel pack won't work if you rename it. Therefore, here is a fixed version with the original file name for the voxel pack (voxels.zip).

Here is the fixed download:

BloodGDX v0.789 with portable Java (7Zip SFX, 44.4 MB)

User is offline   m210® 

View PostNightFright, on 07 March 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

I just realized that the voxel pack won't work if you rename it. Therefore, here is a fixed version with the original file name for the voxel pack (voxels.zip).

Here is the fixed download:

BloodGDX v0.789 with portable Java (7Zip SFX, 44.4 MB)

If you want to rename zip file, you need to rename and voxels.def in zip file too. Def file will load with such name as zip name only

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I realized it later on. EDuke32 could profit from this autoload behavior, too. I have suggested it to be added over here.

View PostNightFright, on 08 March 2018 - 03:41 AM, said:

Yeah, I realized it later on. EDuke32 could profit from this autoload behavior, too. I have suggested it to be added over here.

Great work! Finally going to give blood a play through!

Your installer worked great I pointed it towards my steam blood and it loaded without issue. When I attempt to play the game there is no sound. I have tried both sound options open and dummy.

Hi guys btw!

D'oh! fixed it :) (and turned off auto aim and set trilinear)

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 18 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

Trojan in Bloodgdx

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 19 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

User is offline   VGA 

View PostSinisterambo, on 19 March 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

Trojan in Bloodgdx

Come on, dude, it's a false positive obviously.

• The Truth is in here

I am absolutely sure the file is clean.

User is offline   m210® 

BloodGDX can send crash log, if you press "yes" after crash...maybe this is a trojan? :)

This post has been edited by M210: 19 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

View PostNightFright, on 19 March 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

I am absolutely sure the file is clean.

Well that's good to hear as the steam version I have is unplayable with a mouse otherwise. Plus the other additions are fantastic. It was Windows 10 defender that gave the error, severe and it is listed as Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.C!cl

User is offline   Master O 

View PostNightFright, on 29 June 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:

Until recently, I have avoided this ingenious port with great regret because I absolutely hate to install Java runtimes on my computer. However, there seems to be a way to use it with portable binaries:

1) Get jPortable and jPortableLauncher. Extract both files to a folder, e.g. "BloodGDX". Make sure you leave the original folder structures intact (CommonFiles\Java and JavaPortableLauncher)!
2) Place bloodgfx.jar and all required Blood game files into the extraction folder ("BloodGDX" in our example).
3) Enter the JavaPortableLauncher folder, launch LavaPortableLauncher.exe, select bloodgdx.jar and go!

Just to make sure to have the correct folder structure - your BloodGDX folder should contain these dirs and files:

Maybe this helps other people out there who have a similar attitude towards Java installations. Enjoy! ^^

What are the required Blood game files needed?

Can I assume they are blood.grp, blood.rts, and cryptic.grp?

User is offline   VGA 

The list of files you need is in the readme.txt inside the BloodGDX package.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Since when does blood use GRP files?

User is offline   VGA 

Make sure that you have required files in the folder with bloodgdx.jar:

BLOOD.INI
BLOOD.RFF
SOUNDS.RFF
TILES000.ART - TILES017.ART
TABLES.DAT
SURFACE.DAT
VOXEL.DAT

(optional for Cryptic Passage)
CRYPTIC.INI
CPART07.AR_
CPART15.AR_
CP*.MAP

User is offline   WolfmanFP 

So, I did a thing:
https://github.com/w...nfp/GDXLauncher
You can build/download a launcher for RedneckGDX as well, and it also supports OpenJDK 11 binary releases.

• The Truth is in here

Since BloodGDX has recently become a part of BuildGDX, this project is no longer required and therefore discontinued. Thanks a lot for the positive feedback and cheers to m210 for a proper portable implementation that even works for multiple games (not just Blood).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

User is offline   zoromo27 

please ! please! redneckgdx portable build! i dont know run!!!!!!! thank regards

This post has been edited by zoromo27: 10 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

• The Truth is in here

Since this is planned for BuildGDX, no need for me (or anyone else) to do it, sorry.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 April 2019 - 01:03 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options