Duke4.net Forums: Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus  "Releasing October 27th"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Vaguely, in spirit it's kinda-sorta a sequel to RTCW and Wolfenstein 2009. Kinda, sorta. Deathshead connects them.

But this is the first time we've had a true-blue immediate sequel since Spear of Destiny.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 13 June 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Press[/url] who went hands-on really liked it.

I don't know where they get these game journos from. The reviewer seems genuinely shocked that BJ will take any opportunity and use any object that comes within his grasp to kill nazis
:P

User is offline   Dan 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 June 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

But this is the first time we've had a true-blue immediate sequel since Spear of Destiny.

But SOD was a prequel, and it played just like Wolf3D with some new levels and bosses. If anything The Old Blood was more of a sequel.

View Postfuegerstef, on 12 June 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

I wasn't neither. The gameplay was good, but I found the story to be a terrible mess that meandered aimlessly here and there but didn't manage to avoid the many plotholes on it's zig zag way.

Yeah count me part of that group too. I didn't even finish the recent one - hated the gameplay and the story. Mumbling ham-headed main character who I hated and the guns just felt weird and floaty. They felt so generic too - I was happy to get the sorta laser cutter thing but was instantly disappointed when it didn't do much to the nazi's legs I used it on :P

Gave up after some boring boss fight in an airplane hangar I think.

I really enjoyed Wolfenstein 2009 so am a bit disappointed that these guys are going to be the exclusive Wolf developers going forward, for now at least.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDan, on 14 June 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

But SOD was a prequel, and it played just like Wolf3D with some new levels and bosses. If anything The Old Blood was more of a sequel.

Fair point actually. I stand corrected.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought TOB was a prequel too. Does it not take place in the 40s or whatever? TNO was the 60s.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Old Blood was definitely a prequel. It's set in 1946, and you basically determine the location of Deathshead there before the attack on his fortress is launched at the beginning of New Order.
It was initially intended to be just a DLC, but they redecided and turned it into a standalone game since the plot allowed you to experience the game without knowing what had transpired in New Order.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 June 2017 - 04:32 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDan, on 13 June 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Wolfenstein II? So does that mean The New Order wasn't a sequel then?

I think none of the Wolfenstein games are directly related but are all spiritually connected; this is the first time any of them have had an actual direct sequel, since it seems the main villain of this one is one of the villains you messed with in New Order.
Old Blood was a prequel set during the war, New Order started during the war with you trying to kill Deathshead and then jumped forward in time where the Nazis won, have taken over the world, and you wake up from a coma to complete your assassination mission, and Colossus is after you were successful in TNO but the Nazis still have control of the world so you go back home to American soil to begin a revolution.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View Postsirlemonhead, on 14 June 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

I really enjoyed Wolfenstein 2009 so am a bit disappointed that these guys are going to be the exclusive Wolf developers going forward, for now at least.

I question your taste.

User is offline   LkMax 

Hey, Wolf 2009 was good, not as much as RTCW but still good.
With this balancing mod it gets even better: http://www.moddb.com/mods/retrostein

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 June 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

Vaguely, in spirit it's kinda-sorta a sequel to RTCW and Wolfenstein 2009. Kinda, sorta. Deathshead connects them.

Also Caroline Becker from Wolf 2009.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Man, New Colossus is getting tons of official dev diary updates. It's super cool that it will be out in a few months (I wish all reveals were like that).

User is offline   LkMax 

6 minutes of gameplay montage (of different segments) from jackfrags while he talks a bit about the game. Shouldn't have much spoilers:

Or if you don't mind spoilers, there's an hour of gameplay+cutscenes here:

Theres also info about future singleplayer DLCs: http://www.eurogamer...yable-character
I spot a mention of black sun on the last DLC, possible reference to Wolf 2009? Interesting...

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostLkMax, on 27 July 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

I spot a mention of black sun on the last DLC, possible reference to Wolf 2009? Interesting...

New Order seemed to be canonically linked to Wolfenstein 2009, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to expand on that in other ways.

User is offline   LkMax 

Yes it reintroduces a couple of characters from 2009, but nothing related to the Black Sun dimension and tech were used in TNO or TOB, so a direct mention is intriguing.

User is offline   Engel220 

Looks like New Colossus will have seven different difficulty options. In order,

Can I play, daddy?
Don't hurt me
Bring 'em on!
Do or die!
Call me Terror-Billy!
I am death incarnate
Mein Leben (Grayed out from what I saw being played, possibly unlocked after playing through on one of the higher difficulties?)

User is offline   Malgon 

The PC specs are now up:

For PC gamers, it’s all about the freedom – and we’re not just talking about liberating America from Nazi oppression. From framerates to field-of-view options and beyond, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus includes a host of features on PC, allowing players to customize their experience based on hardware and preferences. Along with the minimum and recommended specs, we’ve got a detailed list of supported features available in The New Colossus when it launches worldwide on October 27.
PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400/AMD FX-8350/Intel Core i5-3570/Intel Core i7-3770 or better
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB/NVIDIA GTX 770 4GB or better
RAM: 8 GB
Storage: 55GB
Additional Requirements: Steam account and broadband internet connection for activation and installation
AMD GPU drivers no longer support Windows 8.1

Recommended

CPU: AMD FX-9370/Intel Core i7-4770 or better
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB/NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB or better
RAM: 16 GB
Storage: 55GB
Additional Requirements: Steam account and broadband internet connection for activation and installation
AMD GPU drivers no longer support Windows 8.1

PC ADVANCED SETTINGS AND FEATURES

Uncapped Framerate
We at MachineGames are huge PC players, and all of id Software’s games have very strong PC DNA. So it’s important for us to make sure the PC version of the game is as solid as any console version. That’s why we built the game on idTech 6, which also allows for uncapped framerate – one of the features we’re most excited about.

Aspect Ratios
With such a wide range of tastes in aspect ratios among PC gamers, it was important for us to ensure compatibility with as many as possible. Here are a few of the big ones, but it’s by no means all of them.

4:3
16:9
16:10
21:9 (ultra widescreen)

Resolution
Supports 4K resolution

Field of View Slider
70 FOV to 120 FOV

Advanced Visual Settings

Lights
Shadows
Directional Occlusion
Reflections
Decals
Motion Blur
Image Streaming
Volumetric Quality
Decal Filtering
Deferred Rendering
Chromatic Aberration
Depth of Field
Resolution Scaling

Vulkan
When we started development of Wolfenstein II, the choice of graphics API for PC was a simple one. DOOM had already set the stage for what could be done with Vulkan and we wanted to take it to the next level.

Using Vulkan when developing has allowed us to utilize the power of AMD's VEGA graphics chips in ways that were not possible before, giving us fine grained control over the performance and feature set of the GPU without having to sacrifice artistic intent. Combined with the flexibility of AMD's hardware, Vulkan gives us the artistic freedom to deliver Wolfenstein without compromise.

Controls

Full keyboard and mouse rebinding options
Separate controller and mouse/keyboard sensitivity settings

Anti-Aliasing Options
We have a range of anti-aliasing options including, but not limited to:

TAA
FXAA
SMAA
TSSAA

Colorblind Modes In a first-person shooter where every objective marker and crosshair placement is crucial, colorblind modes are helpful for many gamers. Here are the three modes we included:

Protanopia
Deuteranopia
Tritanopia

https://bethesda.net...cs-and-features

This post has been edited by Malgon: 24 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

User is offline   Jess Renee 

Holy shit, this looks so good. If only we could make America nazi-free in real life, too! :rolleyes:

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

This probably goes without saying, but don't read the review on Polygon. Polygon should be avoided anyway, but this time they have a huge spoiler about the beginning of the game right in the first few paragraphs. Fuck them.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

There are people who treat Polygon seriously or even care about them at all? They're even below IGN.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Polygon gives 3D graphics a bad name.

View PostTea Monster, on 27 October 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

This probably goes without saying, but don't read the review on Polygon. Polygon should be avoided anyway, but this time they have a huge spoiler about the beginning of the game right in the first few paragraphs. Fuck them.

Reading Ben Kuchera reviews is something of a guilty pleasure. I like to see if he can top his previous high-water-mark of insufferable douche. Anyhow, I'm interested to see what people here think of the game once they get a chance to play it.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postcosmonautcowboy, on 27 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Reading Ben Kuchera reviews is something of a guilty pleasure. I like to see if he can top his previous high-water-mark of insufferable douche. Anyhow, I'm interested to see what people here think of the game once they get a chance to play it.

I was hoping the same thing.

Although others liked the first (New Order) far more than me. I couldn't stand the "story" which meandered aimlessly around and when it found a path it forgot about it and wandered of into the woods again. Also the dreadful parts in the base where you have to search every room for a document to stretch out game time were awful.

User is offline   axl 

View Postfuegerstef, on 27 October 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

I was hoping the same thing.

Although others liked the first (New Order) far more than me. I couldn't stand the "story" which meandered aimlessly around and when it found a path it forgot about it and wandered of into the woods again. Also the dreadful parts in the base where you have to search every room for a document to stretch out game time were awful.

I kinda feel the same way. The gun/gameplay was truely excellent, but the many cutscenes, the searching parts in the rebel base, etc... kinda made it drag a bit... I also hated the fact that you had to manually pick up ammo.

And according to the review from gggmanlives, Wolfenstein II has the same issues:

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I'm really enjoying this game so far. As far as cut scenes go, yes there are many. But you can also skip pretty much all of them, seems that only about 15min of them in total are "forced" throughout game play.

Balancing and game mechanics work really well so far and the dual-wield system is refreshing. I honestly think it goes over the new doom. Shares a lot with nudoom but the environments are much more diverse and there is a ton of personality to the characters.
I can't remember the last time when a game was this quick to make me feel attached to some of the characters. Violence / Humor is very Tarantino in many ways I'd say, but leaning very heavily towards a well crafted B-movie spoof like what Black dynamite did with blaxsploitation. Tons of small touches that makes things to over the top without ever really feeling cringy.

A very positive surprise, last game in the series I really played was RTCW.
Probably the biggest plus is that you're free to rush through the maps if you wish so, no bullshit gated fights which kind of ruined nudoom for me.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The most funny part of the game :

Fergus Scissorhands... :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 05 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

User is offline   BestViking 

I sure wonder whose sick minds conjured up this kind of garbage.

IIRC they took out the "white" part before release because it's a bit too obvious.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

While I don't doubt that some of the devs are on the "every white person to the right of me politically is a Nazi" bandwagon --and believe me, I hate that bandwagon as much as anyone--, I don't think that vid is anything to get upset about. It looks like he is just taunting them. The fact that he's white himself supports that theory.

User is offline   Lunick 

"Wolfenstein 2 is anti-White propaganda" :rolleyes: :excl: :D :( :wallbash:

User is offline   BestViking 

EDIT: Nevermind. It's not worth going there. It's obvious enough anyway.

This post has been edited by BestViking: 05 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He's fighting literal Nazis though right? Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options