Duke4.net Forums: Manhattan Project Online : Multiplayer mod for DN: Manhattan Project - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Manhattan Project Online : Multiplayer mod for DN: Manhattan Project

User is offline   Zurix 

Hello Everybody
Iam a DN Manhattan project fan , so i decided to make a multiplayer mod for manhattan project
ok lets discuss some points
- Who are you and what makes you can make it?
= Iam Zeyad Ahmed a VB.net Programmer [ 6 years ] , C# [ 1 year ] , well i have experience in network i will use UDP protocol to change the coordinates by some injections [ by some help of cheat engine]
- Will you make it alone?
= No , No , i need to make a team to help me [Duke lovers :( ]
- Iam not a programmer can i help you?
= Ofcourse because i need DNMP modders for designing maps and so on
- Iam not a DNMP modder can i help you? :)
= You can , because i need one for logo and graphics:D
- Iam not DNMP modder or a graphic designer , i want to join the team :(
= if you have a fast typing speed and good english skills you can help us to write the wiki :D
if you want to join the Team PM me please
i will be pleased if you did! :D
i have did 9% of the mod :v

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I am not the right guy who can give good advice but... Make something before asking any help/ looking for team.

Good luck, I love Manhattan Project too.

Without the source code to the game, getting a completed multiplayer version of DNMP will be a very complicated en-devour. The only way I can see you doing without source code is the following:

• Create a watcher system that makes takes the entity state data from the authoritative server and replicate that data to the clients.
  • On the clients, you would have disable all AI work and simply shove the replicated entity data to the clients.
  • If you were somehow able to do the above, the harder part is the player actions. You would have to not only replicate the player data, but you would have to add multiple client support to the game. AI would have to be reworked so it could target multiple players.

All of this would require a heavy amount of reverse engineering, and a lot of fiddly fucking. I don't see this ever happening without the source code to the game getting released.

User is offline   Zurix 

Brulov, I still developing the mod and I want a team that help me and graphic designer for the logo

Icecoldduke, we can do it without the source
there is some mod that made without the source of the game like Vice City Multiplayer , San Andreas Multiplayer , Just Cause Multiplayer , Multi Theft Auto
The coordinates exchange will be by data injection in specific address in the game
And the chat and data and stats are easy stuff
And making it with group is better
But its so hard to find team :(

This post has been edited by Zeyad Ahmed: 19 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostZeyad Ahmed, on 19 May 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

Icecoldduke, we can do it without the source

I've said my peace. I wish you the best of luck, but my opinion stands.

User is offline   Zurix 

View Posticecoldduke, on 19 May 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

I've said my peace. I wish you the best of luck, but my opinion stands.

thanks,
Btw The Addresses of injections are changed every the player spawn :v
i will try to fix it , btw no one want to join :( ?

User is offline   Mark 

It could be a problem because I have not read that anyone else on this site knows how to use the map editor. I hope you find someone.

User is offline   Zurix 

View PostMark., on 20 May 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

It could be a problem because I have not read that anyone else on this site knows how to use the map editor. I hope you find someone.

_DNF_ is an awesome map editor but he is inactive
thanks for your words , i am searching on all sites but i prefer that because it site of Duke Lovers ,man

User is offline   TDRR 

This is a pretty cool idea, but it might take a couple months before anything really playable would be released.
What about recreating Manhattan project with the Prism3D SDK? That would require much less fiddling with data injection and dealing with certain addresses in the game resetting every time a level is finished etc.

EDIT: If there's anything i can do to help, count me in.

This post has been edited by TDRR: 20 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

User is offline   Zurix 

View PostTDRR, on 20 May 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

This is a pretty cool idea, but it might take a couple months before anything really playable would be released.
What about recreating Manhattan project with the Prism3D SDK? That would require much less fiddling with data injection and dealing with certain addresses in the game resetting every time a level is finished etc.

EDIT: If there's anything i can do to help, count me in.

Yes i thought about that SDK but it will double the time of making the mod :v
I found a topic for changed addresses : http://www.cheatengi...eaba2a48517f8d0

Of course , you can help me in any time , you can pm for your favorite communicate way : skype and so on

View PostTDRR, on 20 May 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

What about recreating Manhattan project with the Prism3D SDK?

I doubt that would be any easier then adding DNMP asset support to another engine. If I remember right DNMP uses Rad's granny 3d tech(http://www.radgameto...com/granny.html), which means Prism 3D will not come with the model loader by default. I would also not assume the level format is 1:1 with the SDK.

User is offline   Zurix 

Here a sneak peak from the development of it , you can see the classes in the solution explorer
Posted Image
and setting the ingame chat :v with transparency :(
the proplem is you must make the game NOT full screen , but you can choose you best resolution that fit the chat :v
pic from testing :
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Zeyad Ahmed: 21 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

I don't know what I'm looking at. If all you did was inject a chatting tool in there, thats very easy to do. The hard part is all points I listed above :(. Also because you did your stuff in Visual Basic rather then C# means you'll get even less interest then you might have gotten now.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

There is a thread somewhere (had a quick Googly and couldn't find it) where the guy doing some modding for it has swapped out models and even hacked a first person viewpoint.

Granny was used for Age of Empires and for that game you needed Max 7 to be able to export anything. I don't know if MP needs a different version or if there are exporters around. If you can add to the existing code, then adding FBX to the file formats would probably help with getting people modding for it.

User is offline   Zurix 

View PostTea Monster, on 24 May 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

There is a thread somewhere (had a quick Googly and couldn't find it) where the guy doing some modding for it has swapped out models and even hacked a first person viewpoint.

Granny was used for Age of Empires and for that game you needed Max 7 to be able to export anything. I don't know if MP needs a different version or if there are exporters around. If you can add to the existing code, then adding FBX to the file formats would probably help with getting people modding for it.

Do you mean ZombieKiller or DNV?

This post has been edited by Zeyad Ahmed: 24 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

FBX format support.

I personally say your time will be better spend adding FBX support to DNMP then doing multiplayer.

User is offline   Mark 

To help clarify something, are you guys talking about using FBX models for props and characters or would they be used in the editor as the playable architecture, i.e. rooftops and platforms? If its only for props and characters it still leaves the project without a mapper.

• Polymancer

I've never played with the mapper, so I don't know what it's capable of. I know that with some editors, you can import 3D models and use them as level geometry in the map. No idea if that's possible here or not.

FBX was suggested as a way to attract future modellers to the project. Nobody is going to want to mess around with Granny unless there is a pretty straight-forward pipeline from something modern directly to the engine. Having to haxor ancient versions of Max/Blender/whatever to get models in is going to dead-end that aspect of modding.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 25 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

That would be me, although I didn't "hack" in a first person viewpoint, it's a feature in the game itself that's accessible via the console.
Shame there isn't more information about the GRN (Granny 1) format, like there is for GR2 (Granny 2), otherwise custom models in DNMP could probably be done pretty easily.
The map editor (Prism3D) is comparable to UnrealEd

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 25 May 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

That would be me, although I didn't "hack" in a first person viewpoint, it's a feature in the game itself that's accessible via the console.
Shame there isn't more information about the GRN (Granny 1) format, like there is for GR2 (Granny 2), otherwise custom models in DNMP could probably be done pretty easily.
The map editor (Prism3D) is comparable to UnrealEd

You could just e-mail radtools and see if they give you documentation.

• Polymancer

The editor doesn't come with the Steam version of the game, but it is downloadable separately.

Do you know which (specifically) version of Granny was used? Are there any tools you found that worked?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 25 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

User is offline   Mark 

If the editor is similar to UnrealED does that mean another model format could be used for map geometry if it got incorporated into the engine?

That would make things way easier to map for as far as the geo.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

• Polymancer

It will read ASE and I think, DXF.

With the simplistic level design of MP, I don't know if you would save any energy by creating in Max/Blendy and importing it.

Maybe if you had a specific design in mind, or you wanted to push the detail considering the baseline machine has progressed over 15 years.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 25 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I watched the 5 YT video tuts from a Russian guy. Believe me, you would be way quicker ,making the simple geo in the program of your choice. And then tweaking for gameplay in Prism. At least thats the impression I got.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   Zurix 

View PostMark., on 25 May 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

I watched the 5 YT video tuts from a Russian guy. Believe me, you would be way quicker ,making the simple geo in the program of your choice. And then tweaking for gameplay in Prism. At least thats the impression I got.

YT tuts about prism and it by russian then it was DNV

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 May 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

You could just e-mail radtools and see if they give you documentation.

Believe me, I've tried. They didn't even bother to respond.

View PostTea Monster, on 25 May 2017 - 06:58 AM, said:

The editor doesn't come with the Steam version of the game, but it is downloadable separately.

Do you know which (specifically) version of Granny was used? Are there any tools you found that worked?

Granny 1.2b, if I recall correctly. As for tools, I found a way to convert the .grn files to .gr2, which allowed me to get models out of the game (minus animations, but with bones and such intact). There's no tools I've found that help get models into the game, though.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 25 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

• Polymancer

There were versions of Granny exporters that were issued for various games as plug-ins for GMax, Max 7/8/9 and Milkshape. You'd have to do a search and see if any of them matched up to what MP is using.

User is offline   Zurix 

I have did the 15% of the mod and i need pro cheat engine users and DNMP modders. Any one want to join? :P

• Polymancer

I'd love to help, but I'm really busy with my current project and I've got another one lined up after this.

User is offline   Zurix 

View PostTea Monster, on 27 May 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

I'd love to help, but I'm really busy with my current project and I've got another one lined up after this.

ok good luck with your project :P , you know i dont want my project to die :P

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options