Duke4.net Forums: DUKE3D.EXE resolutions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DUKE3D.EXE resolutions

User is offline   wapiti 

Hi all,

I'm trying to have DUKE3D.EXE (i.e. the 1.5 DOS version) run in DosBox in higher resolutions than what's proposed by SETUP.EXE.

SETUP.EXE gives the below possibles SVGA/VESA 2.0 resolutions:

• 320x200
  • 320x400
  • 640x480
  • 800x600

I was also able to run the game in 640x400, which I believe is a better ratio than 640x480, but still too small by today's standards.

I read here and there that the DOS game is able to run in higher resolutions but have not been able to replicate that. I'm looking at 960x600 or even 1280x800 (i.e. original resolution of 320x200 times 3 or 4).

Has anyone been able to do this? Maybe my DosBox settings need adjustment too.

Many thanks in advance!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You can edit the .cfg file to get up to 1600x1200, though you might need a special build of DOSBox.

User is offline   wapiti 

I have DUKE3D.CFG setup as follows:

;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 0
; - Vesa 2.0 - 1
; - Screen Buffered - 2
; - Tseng optimized - 3
; - Paradise optimized - 4
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
; 
;ScreenWidth passed to engine
; 
;ScreenHeight passed to engine
; 
; 
ScreenMode = 1
ScreenWidth = 1280
ScreenHeight = 800

No matter which ScreenMode I choose, with 1280x800 I always have the game revert to 320x200.

Regarding DosBox, could it be an issue with the .conf file rather than DosBox version? If you are able to run the game in higher resolutions, could you share the contents of your DosBox .conf file?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Not all resolutions are supported. You're better off sticking with standards like 1600x1200.

If you're using DOSBox, the available screen sizes are also determined by the resolution of the DOSBox window. I.e. I have 1440x900 monitors, and DOSBox won't accept it as a resolution unless I use fullresolution=desktop. Also other builds like the MegaBuild6 supports resolutions other than the main SVN build of DOSBox does.

Hope you have the horsepower to run DOS Duke at high res, as software rendering is all CPU.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 19 May 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

Hope you have the horsepower to run DOS Duke at high res, as software rendering is all CPU.

Its also single threaded which makes things worse.

User is offline   Romulus 

Question: Can the Duke Nukem 3D 1.5 atomic edition be made to support proper Widescreen resolutions in DOS?

This post has been edited by Romulus: 19 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted Image
Get the DOSBox Megabuild6 mentioned above.
here: http://www.dosprn.co...2-installer.exe
or: Attached File  DOSBox_Megabuild6-win32-installer.zip (2.25MB)
Number of downloads: 4

Put dosbox.exe and all .dll's into duke3d.exe folder.

Edit lines in DUKE3D.CFG:
set resolution, eg;
ScreenWidth = 1280
ScreenHeight = 1024

change sound settings;
FXDevice = 0
MusicDevice = 0

change soundblaster irq to 7;
BlasterInterrupt = 7

Launch from command line or a .bat file:

dosbox.exe duke3d.exe -fullscreen -exit

This post has been edited by Drek: 20 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   wapiti 

View PostDrek, on 20 May 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Posted Image
Get the DOSBox Megabuild6 mentioned above.
here: http://www.dosprn.co...2-installer.exe
or: Attachment DOSBox_Megabuild6-win32-installer.zip

Put dosbox.exe and all .dll's into duke3d.exe folder.

Edit lines in DUKE3D.CFG:
set resolution, eg;
ScreenWidth = 1280
ScreenHeight = 1024

change sound settings;
FXDevice = 0
MusicDevice = 0

change soundblaster irq to 7;
BlasterInterrupt = 7

Launch from command line or a .bat file:

dosbox.exe duke3d.exe -fullscreen -exit

Thank you very much for this.
Is DOSBox Megabuild the only build accepting higher resolutions? I'm running Ubuntu and there seems to be only Windows binaries of Megabuild.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Not sure if this is of any practical use, but it has been recently confirmed that DOS Duke3D can run in 320x240. I don't know what version Kawa was using but I can confirm that it works in shareware 1.3d.

View Postwapiti, on 16 May 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

I was also able to run the game in 640x400, which I believe is a better ratio than 640x480

When you run (most) Build engine games in a 4:3 resolution, it will perform aspect ratio correction using the nearest neighbour method, which is somewhat noticeable on the HUD with the digits having unequal proportions. For 320x200 and 640x400, unless you have a 4:3 monitor, DOSBox can do aspect ratio correction using its own algorithms which is cleaner but makes the image somewhat blurry. Also older DOSBox builds like the official v0.74 (not the newer SVN builds) do not properly stretch 640x400 image to 640x480.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options