Duke4.net Forums: Questions and requests for Randy Pitchford regarding Duke Nukem IP - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions and requests for Randy Pitchford regarding Duke Nukem IP  "Duke Nukem 3D, World Tour, Fanbase and the future of the IP"

Poll: Questions and requests for Randy Pitchford regarding Duke Nukem IP (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Questions and requests

1. Is there a way for you to stay closer with the fanbase regarding future plans for the IP? (29 votes [9.67%])

Percentage of vote: 9.67%

2. Release a patch for World Tour fixing some issues like the final boss AI attacks, flamethrower effectiveness, invincible minibosses,etc. (33 votes [11.00%])

Percentage of vote: 11.00%

3. Could it be possible to release the Quake/Unreal builds of DNF with the editor and let the fans piece it together using a limited license? (49 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

4. Could it be possible to release some old Duke3D betas? (38 votes [12.67%])

Percentage of vote: 12.67%

5. What is the status of the franchise world wise in terms of incomes and audiencie interest? do we have a chance to get a new Dukem Nukem title according with this? (31 votes [10.33%])

Percentage of vote: 10.33%

6. Will we see more maps made by Allen Blum, Leverlord and you in the future? Could they be convinced someway to join the community actively? (23 votes [7.67%])

Percentage of vote: 7.67%

7. Is there a way to make Duke Nukem character suitable for new audiences standards? (18 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

8. Is there a chance to release pieces of history concerning the development of Duke Nukem games? (24 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

9. What do you think of Duke? How do you see his character, the story around him, or the gameplay aspects of his games? (12 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

10. Is there a particular reason why we don't have modding tools for Duke Nukem Forever? (16 votes [5.33%])

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

11. What the community could do to help the franchise? (17 votes [5.67%])

Percentage of vote: 5.67%

12. It seems there's no legal way to acquire the three expansion packs of Duke3D. Any plans on this subject? (1 votes [0.33%])

Percentage of vote: 0.33%

13. Gearbox is known to send C & D orders to indie projects making use of Duke IP. Will those projects see the light of sun someday? (1 votes [0.33%])

14. When will we get to see the return of Duke Nukem 1, 2, 3D (DOSBox version w/ the 3 addons) Manhattan Project and Balls of Steel on Steam and GOG.com? (3 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

15. Will we get DNF source coded released someday? (1 votes [0.33%])

16. What's Randy's opinion of Duke 3D user maps and total conversions? Did he try any of them, what's(are) his favourite one(s)? (1 votes [0.33%])

17. "Is there any way that the Duke Nukem mapping/modding community could have some modern tools to make maps/mods with instead of being limited to the old BUILD engine, as good as modern source port enhancements are?" (1 votes [0.33%])

18. Can we discuss about Duke's character on future games or movies, it seems treat it as a parody hasn't worked very well. (2 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Surprised to see the future of Duke-related questions so low so I put my vote in for those. Thank you, Mike Norvac.

Personally I want to see Gearbox's stance on fan-created games be a lot more lenient, seeing projects like Cataclysm get canned due to legal shittery really upsets me.

User is offline   Minigunner 

Another thing is, well, people are pretty unhappy still, if not pissed, over Aliens: Colonial Marines failing to deliver, DNF getting closed up (read: losing console and customization options) over the updates, Megaton and HTTKC getting the can, and Battlestorm FCE (namely Duke not fitting in well, not to mention the DRM used). Though a stretch, Randy should address these and see what can be done to make up for them. This hopefully could tie up some loose ends and help regain trust.

EDIT: This was a poorly-thought-out post; you could see my later post on how I see it. Also, Randy is not to fault for everything listed. Gearbox is a big company; things are a bit too complex to pinpoint on just one person.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 18 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMinigunner, on 18 May 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Randy owes nothing to us. His reaching out is a kind gesture not borne of necessity on his part. He's here for our benefit not his. Don't think like we've got something over him.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Correct! And good point!

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

View PostMinigunner, on 18 May 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Another thing is, well, people are pretty unhappy still, if not pissed, over Aliens: Colonial Marines getting scammed out, DNF getting closed up (read: losing console and customization options) over the updates, Megaton and HTTKC getting the can, and Battlestorm FCE (namely Duke not fitting in well, not to mention the DRM used). Though a stretch, Randy should address these and see what can be done to make up for them. This hopefully could tie up some loose ends and help regain trust.

It's all water under the bridge.

I am just going wait to see what Randy has to say in the interview and If he says we will bring out Zero Hour for next Gen I pay full 60 dollar price for it oh Yeah.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 16 May 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Personally I want to see Gearbox's stance on fan-created games be a lot more lenient, seeing projects like Cataclysm get canned due to legal shittery really upsets me.

This. This would solve so many problems.

Everyone's go-to stock answer is "Why don't you just use Unreal to make your level?" Derp, because they'll send you a C & D, that's why.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

Hey Mike Norvak. I got a question for Randy Pitchford.

When will we get to see the return of Duke Nukem 1, 2, 3D (DOSBox version w/ the 3 addons) Manhattan Project and Balls of Steel on Steam and GOG.com?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 18 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Personally, I've got nothing against him and am moving forward. Certain people, however, still hold grudges against him and are most likely to screw everything up.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 18 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMinigunner, on 18 May 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Certain people however,...

really?
A "trans squirrel lady" is a legitimate source?

Probably why Randy jumped from twitter to this forum - to get away from the tumblr weirdos

I don't have a grudge against Randy however I do have a grudge buying Duke 3D 3 fucking times, However I Im glad I paid for EDuke32 for 1 Reason and that is to support TerminX and his wife and I hope she is feeling well.

It would be nice if the source code to manhatten project got released.

View Posticecoldduke, on 19 May 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

It would be nice if the source code to manhatten project got released.

Unfortunately this is incredibly unlikely due to Manhattan Project making use of Granny3D, which is a RAD Game Tools library.
What can be released however, is the source code for duke_base.dll, which is the equivalent of something like gamex86.dll in idTech games.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 19 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

This thread is going to be the basis for our chat with Gearbox. I'm very happy that based on the votes, the E3 2001 version of the game is the community's biggest demand. I have always shared that sentiment.

Since 2001 and to this day, I dream of one day playing or at least seeing it in its full glory. To quote Joe (and I'm paraphrasing), "I bet you'd still go apeshit if the E3 2001 trailer was played as a video game ad in movie theaters."

Thanks OP for putting this thread together and to everyone who participated in it.

User is offline   Forge 

This is dumb, but I'm going to bring it up anyway (because I'm dumb - that's my thing)
Took about 7 years for the Duke3D source code to be released
DNF is nearing 7 years old
How about an Apr 1, 2018 release of DNF source code

View PostForge, on 19 May 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

This is dumb, but I'm going to bring it up anyway (because I'm dumb - that's my thing)
Took about 7 years for the Duke3D source code to be released
DNF is nearing 7 years old
How about an Apr 1, 2018 release of DNF source code

Similar to DNMP, this is also unfortunately an unlikely scenario. DNF uses a modified version of Unreal Engine 1. Specific permission would likely need to be granted from Epic in order to release it.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 19 May 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Similar to DNMP, this is also unfortunately an unlikely scenario. DNF uses a modified version of Unreal Engine 1. Specific permission would likely need to be granted from Epic in order to release it.

well, at least I got the 'dumb' part right

User is offline   gemeaux333 

My question about DN3D World Tour :

Is there any plan for multilanguage dubbing ?

I don't know if my question will be kept, but I ask just in case !

How about changing "Is there a chance to release pieces of history concerning the development of DNF" to "Is there a chance to release pieces of history concerning the development of DN games"? That way, it includes concept art and lost media for DN1 till DNF, maybe even the PSP Critical Mass stuff.

User is offline   NNC 

I'm not sure if this should be asked, but why not?

What's Randy's opinion of Duke 3D user maps and total conversions? Did he try any of them, what's(are) his favourite one(s)?

User is offline   funduke 

Please request:
- A re-release of Duke Nukem 1, Duke Nukem 2, Balls of Steel, DN: Manhattan project, and the official DN3D addons: Nuclear Winter, Carribean Carnage, DukeItOut in DC, Duke!Zone 2 and DukeXtreme.

- For DNF a DRM-free release on GOG, level- and art editing tools, and cheat codes (god-mode, level warp, all weapons, walk through walls).

Greetings
Funduke

This post has been edited by funduke: 20 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

"Is there any way that the Duke Nukem mapping/modding community could have some modern tools to make maps/mods with instead of being limited to the old BUILD engine, as good as modern source port enhancements are?"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

It would come in handy if polls could be edited in mobile, well I'm gonna update it later :(

Pesonally, what I would like done with DNF is a final patch that:
1) Reintroduces the console. This is important for configuration purposes, not just cheats and goodies.
2) Polishes up some post-processing effects, especially the DoF that should be turned down several notches and should focus on where the player is looking. Such effects should be toggleable in the console or menu, even if it's as a post-play extra. Speaking of...
3) Adds some new post-play extras, such as:
- Unlockable weapon skins/sounds from earlier builds (possibly even the option to replace the M1911 with a Golden Eagle)
- Night Vegas mode
- A new difficulty mode that uses the original ego mechanics (would indeed be Very Unfair though as the game isn't well designed for it)
- Options for inventory enhancements such as an alternate Duke Vision mode that looks like Night Vision goggles with minimal visual interference, and/or scuba suits/space respirators instead of air bubbles (would be placed around said air bubbles, but less frequently as the scuba/respirator would last longer)
- Allocating the pistol to its own sidearm slot, thus freeing up another for other weapons. The achievement for carrying the pistol throughout the whole game would have to be disabled for this.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 20 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMike Norvak, on 20 May 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

It would come in handy if polls could be edited in mobile, well I'm gonna update it later :(

It would come in handy if lots of things could be done in mobile. Access to the reputation system being one. Just not in the mobile theme I guess. Hopefully an update can fix this?

User is offline   Romulus 

Funny how the Opera browser on an age old Symbian device can show the full site but my Android can't. Argh.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostRomulus, on 20 May 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Funny how the Opera browser on an age old Symbian device can show the full site but my Android can't. Argh.

All you gotta do is have your browser request the desktop version of a website. Chrome does this in options. There's probably an option for every browser to do this.

View Postfunduke, on 20 May 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

Please request:
- A re-release of Duke Nukem 1, Duke Nukem 2, Balls of Steel, DN: Manhattan project, and the official DN3D addons: Nuclear Winter, Carribean Carnage, DukeItOut in DC, Duke!Zone 2 and DukeXtreme.

- For DNF a DRM-free release on GOG, level- and art editing tools, and cheat codes (god-mode, level warp, all weapons, walk through walls).

Greetings
Funduke

I think someone (may have been NightFright) was restoring the Duke!Zone 2 maps and he said they had lots of critical bugs and bad design that could break them, though from what I remember they looked sorta ok, bad design aside.

From DukeXtreme, the only thing I wanted was the T-shirt that came with the Duke Apocalypse bundle. Coolest thing ever! :(

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options