Duke4.net Forums: Easy Button Mod - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Easy Button Mod

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's a mod that makes it so that when you press the open key, the button or dipswitch hit is the one actually in front of your crosshair. That's all it does. You have to put the GAME.CON in your game folder to replace the regular one. Or if you know how, copy my code and put it to use in your own project. Or find bugs and tell me about them so I can fix them.

http://s000.tinyuplo...818923897637337

Demonstration (from Alejandro's new map):

User is offline   Mark 

Replace the button graphics with a keypad and you have a useful control panel. I wonder how small Mapster lets you group the switches together.

Is your new code grouped together for a cut and paste?

EDIT: I made the switches small and crammed them close together and it works fine. So disabling the hardcoded lights on the switches and placing a keypad sprite over them will make a good keypad. One small glitch I noticed was when a switch changes state, there is a small yellow flash below the switch. I had them in columns. The lower the switch, the larger the yellow flash.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 13 April 2017 - 04:49 AM

This seems more a proper fix for the game than a mod, it should be included in the original fixed GAME.CON by Darkus https://forums.duke4...-gamecon-fixes/

• Duke Plus Developer

I agree that button pressing should be fixed at the source level and done properly. For for hack, I had to code the player to hitscan, then make the player fire a zero-damage, short-ranged, non-random bullet when a hittable button is hit by the scan within a certain distance and the player presses open, while also disabling the normal button press under those conditions. I could not find a way to prevent the spawning of the shotspark1 actor when this happens, so I minimized it as best I could. Maybe this little mod will prompt the devs to do it properly.

It also a good excuse to release a mini-patch for all the other mods you released until now, DP, AT, and DF would benefit. When the code will be redefined I could try to make an actual hybrid between this and the Darkus fixes.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 13 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFantinaikos, on 13 April 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

This seems more a proper fix for the game than a mod, it should be included in the original fixed GAME.CON by Darkus https://forums.duke4...-gamecon-fixes/

Regardless of its merit, this is not a fix. It's a gameplay modification. That said, the same goes for Darkus' mod. It takes creative liberties beyond "fixes".

User is offline   Mark 

Since I have an already customized GAME.CON file could you help me find just your new code to cut and paste into mine?

I thought I found it but when I pasted it in I got a couple of errors. I thought it might be from the old version of eduke32 I need for my project, but it errors under a new version too. So evidently I'm doing something wrong. I found the block of gamevar code at the top and another 2 event blocks IIRC in the player code.

User is offline   Mark 

Never mind. I'll use some other switch. :P

• Duke Plus Developer

The version of this incorporated into Essential Duke fixes the visual issue with the shotspark briefly appearing by the way. As for the errors, if you posted your log I could probably figure out what happened.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options