Duke4.net Forums: Brutal Duke Mod (Alpha Release) (Work in Progress) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brutal Duke Mod (Alpha Release) (Work in Progress)  "In game brutalization"

User is offline   RPD Guy 

View PostSergeant_Mark_IV, on 03 March 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

Hey, are you still working on this?
This looks pretty great. I always wanted to make a Brutal mod for Duke, but never had the patience to learn how to mod in Eduke32 (it's not as easy to find tutorials as GZDoom), and all other attempts at adding everlasting gibs I have seen caused the game to lag pretty badly. But seems like the engine is better optimized these days.

I can't help you with code, but I can surely help you with death animations, gibs, and such things.

Hey there,

Yes, I'm still working, but a bit slowly.
Damn, I've never imagined that you will offer help. These things you've mentioned really take some time to get done.

I'm Surely accepting your help, let's make this happen!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostSergeant_Mark_IV, on 03 March 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

and all other attempts at adding everlasting gibs I have seen caused the game to lag pretty badly.

It's possible they were not coded properly, so they are not deleted, but the movement/clipping code is continuously running.

View PostFox, on 08 March 2020 - 03:23 PM, said:

It's possible they were not coded properly, so they are not deleted, but the movement/clipping code is continuously running.

Indeed,
To improove the speed I've used an very simple solution. When the player get away, jibs start to fade away and blood decals are inserted into the decal deletion queue (via insertspriteq)
Obviously this is not the best solution but works fine.

I'm looking foward to improove this.

Is there somewhere to get the latest beta? Like a github? I'd really love to follow along with the progress of this mod.

User is offline   jkas789 

Ditto, I would also like to know if this is still in developement, as it looks like a cool fun mod to play.

User is offline   Nfsfan83 

I'm big fan of Brutal Doom. And I admire Your job, but I wanna ask: is it possible to make shoot effect like in Brutal Doom that if shotgun shoot enemy arms that it will be will fall off? this same with head, legs etcH

How it run? I have HRP pack?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 26 November 2020 - 09:56 AM

View PostNfsfan83, on 26 November 2020 - 09:23 AM, said:

is it possible to make shoot effect like in Brutal Doom that if shotgun shoot enemy arms that it will be will fall off? this same with head, legs etcH

Sky is the limit, soon we will have more dismembering and new animations.

View PostNfsfan83, on 26 November 2020 - 09:23 AM, said:

How it run? I have HRP pack?

I don't encourage you to do that.
It should work, but you will need to disable 3D models.

User is offline   Nfsfan83 

RPD Guy maybe I wrote wrong, I mean I love high res textures from HRP but also love your brutal duke mod ;) So I want both

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Hi, Borion asked me if I was interested in this project. Let's say I am, what kind of stuff do you require? I've been doing work extra deaths for Blood enemies which can be found here under Blood enemies spoiler https://forum.zdoom....p?f=37&t=60457. Plus I can do minor modifications to HUD weapon sprites. I am not that good with creating anything from scratch though.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 09 December 2020 - 03:01 AM

User is offline   Piroks 

Hey, Is this mod still in development? I really like what you done so far and I hope that all your effort won't go to waste.

Hello there people, it's been a long time, hasn't it?
Well, after a long time I've decided to refactor all mechanics. The gore system, decals, animations and other features are now being rewritten.
Thus, I'm includind and improving many other things.

In addition, as I'm a true level designer lover, I'm creating a new episode for the game. I'm calling this an "remake" or "reload" of the original LA Meltdown levels, with more enemies, more secrets, new areas etc.
Looking around here in the community, I've noticed that people aren't interested in simplier gameplay changes, but new experiences. So that's why I changed my mind.
Maybe if people like this new episode, I can go further and develop more episodes and new maps.

But, all this will demand a lot of time and effort, so I'll split these releases.

First (and soon), the "beta version" with the new mechanics and basic features (much like the alpha version), new death animations here and there.

Second, the remastered/reloaded LA Meltdown episode.

Third, we will see... maybe new weapons, enemies and other gameplay mechanics. Send your suggestions.

PS: Maybe in the beta release I'll include the new E1L1, as it's already almost done.

View PostDzierzan, on 09 December 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Hi, Borion asked me if I was interested in this project. Let's say I am, what kind of stuff do you require? I've been doing work extra deaths for Blood enemies which can be found here under Blood enemies spoiler https://forum.zdoom....p?f=37&t=60457. Plus I can do minor modifications to HUD weapon sprites. I am not that good with creating anything from scratch though.

Hello,
One of the things that I always wanted to do is to replace the default hud wepons, I really don't like the vanilla's looking. They simply don't look so realistic. Even 64's version is better (but looks a little cartoonish).
If you have any ideas, please send to me. :dukehappy:

User is offline   geomancien 

i always wondered if someone will do the basic levels by re-imagining them, it must be a colossal job to do on my own but I can't wait to test your results

User is offline   Painkiller 

I try to figure out why a Music Pack doesnt work with the Brutal Duke Mod. Does anyone know whats the problem with that ?

It's nice to know that this project is still alive and kicking.

User is offline   Painkiller 

For a little more Insight on my Music Pack problem : I use the Mark Knight Music pack and it works in the autoload folder of eDuke32 but as soon as i but the Brutal Duke datas into the gameroot folder of Duke 3D the music pack doesnt work anymore.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Because EDuke32 doesn't load def files cumulatively. You'll have to take the contents of the music pack's def file and copy into the one for brutal duke

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The SC-55 music pack works completely without defs or cons since it's filename-based. Maybe I should modify the other packs the same way. Should make them work with virtually any mod, then.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

The PS1 music tracks have different names, and the Saturns music tracks don't correspond to the level they're used on

User is offline   SolivaN 

Hi there.

This mod is amazing, I've tested now and I'm impressed.
Thanks RPD Guy to make this mod possible.

I want to comunicate that I've found a bug with Laser Tripbomb weapon.
This don't show the laser texture, look:

I'm using r9937 version of eDuke32 and Atomic 1.5 GRP
The Brutal file that I've downloaded is from here:
https://drive.google...ZU0zMzZtQlZjVDQ

I've attached the LOG if this can help to find a solution.

I hope that it can be solved.
Thanks a lot for this great project!

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by SolivaN: 16 January 2022 - 09:19 AM

View PostRPD Guy, on 22 November 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hello,
One of the things that I always wanted to do is to replace the default hud wepons, I really don't like the vanilla's looking. They simply don't look so realistic. Even 64's version is better (but looks a little cartoonish).
If you have any ideas, please send to me. :dukehappy:

I have only one petition. Would it be possible to have a stand alone release without the maps? Thinking this in regards to being able to use the mod with other user episodes (like duke hard) without there being conflicts.

View PostNightFright, on 07 December 2021 - 05:07 AM, said:

The SC-55 music pack works completely without defs or cons since it's filename-based. Maybe I should modify the other packs the same way. Should make them work with virtually any mod, then.

As I like the SC-55 music pack so much, I've already included it on the BD resources. Credits have been given. Soon will be released.

View Postjkas789, on 24 January 2022 - 10:29 AM, said:

I have only one petition. Would it be possible to have a stand alone release without the maps? Thinking this in regards to being able to use the mod with other user episodes (like duke hard) without there being conflicts.

This really makes sense. I think I'll do this.

View PostSolivaN, on 16 January 2022 - 09:15 AM, said:

Hi there.

This mod is amazing, I've tested now and I'm impressed.
Thanks RPD Guy to make this mod possible.

I want to comunicate that I've found a bug with Laser Tripbomb weapon.
This don't show the laser texture, look:

I'm using r9937 version of eDuke32 and Atomic 1.5 GRP
The Brutal file that I've downloaded is from here:
https://drive.google...ZU0zMzZtQlZjVDQ

I've attached the LOG if this can help to find a solution.

I hope that it can be solved.
Thanks a lot for this great project!

This is just an cfg issue. Maybe I've changed it but I've forgot to revert to it's original value.
If you turn on your Night Vision Googles you will can see it.

define TRIPBOMBLASERMODE        3     // 0 = always visable
                                      // 1 = transluscense
                                      // 2 = invisible w/o IR goggles
                                      // 3 = totally invisable

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 12 February 2022 - 11:36 AM

Trying out some polymer features.

The bad thing is that "flickering" when 2 or more sprites are overlapped, and obviously, the very poor performance.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0004.png
  • Attached Image: duke0005.png
  • Attached Image: duke0006.png
  • Attached Image: duke0008.png

This post has been edited by RPD Guy: 17 January 2023 - 11:44 AM

Do you have discord ?

cuz i want to send you a picture of the bug im having

This post has been edited by DopeMan6969: 27 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDopeMan6969, on 27 March 2023 - 02:29 PM, said:

cuz i want to send you a picture of the bug im having

Can't you just post it here??

View PostDanukem, on 28 March 2023 - 02:31 AM, said:

Can't you just post it here??

yeah i will

bullets and gore are replaced by a serious sam sprite

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0002.png
  • Attached Image: duke0000.png

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options