Duke4.net Forums: Heretic 2 source code recreation effort - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Heretic 2 source code recreation effort

View PostMark., on 05 March 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

I can give it a try, but not today. Sorry.

Didn't see that till after you edited your post, my bad :P. I'll get the wood texture in now.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 05 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I have made a whole bunch of textures, I don't want to use these in the final package so Mark please continue to do what your doing. I made these so I can continue development on my end.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 05 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I can't properly do too many since I can't test them in the map myself and adjust accordingly. Your temp textures look good.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 05 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

It's a shame that PolymerNG has been put on the back burner. We really need a modern base to work on Duke projects with as Gearbox seems to enjoy screwing everyone over as far as that's concerned and Polymer has a lot of room for improvement...being a fan of Heretic I'm loving what I can see here so far though! Keep up the good work :P

User is offline   Mark 

The previous cobblestone floor was too messed up to get tiling right. Try this one. I tweaked all the stones to a more equal tone and changed a number of stone shapes in hopes it breaks up the pattern so it looks better when tiled. But you can only do so much with a 512 tile. :P

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 05 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'll add the new textures in tomorrow. I just got done uploading a new vid, I'm going to bed : ).

This video shows the new lighting system in the game, hd textures, character lighting basically were I'm at right now. The overblown spec textures you see are the result of a bug with the non hd textures.

User is offline   Mark 

Before shutting down for the night I decided to post my attempt at fixing the darkness issue along the top of the cobble floor texture since it looks good otherwise in the game. If its still goofy try the second texture set I sent. Choose the best.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: stonewalk1.png

User is offline   Mark 

I was going to surprise you this morning with a few prop model remakes except the single model converter program I could find for H2's fm format doesn't run in Win7.

View PostMark., on 06 March 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

I was going to surprise you this morning with a few prop model remakes except the single model converter program I could find for H2's fm format doesn't run in Win7.

The source code for the tools were released in the 1.6 sdk, I haven't had a chance to even look at the fm model converter. I can look at that next and get it up and running.

What models have you got done?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 06 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   Mark 

table,chair,bucket from starting area

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Great job! I'll have the tools ready this weekend for you to use.

The particles now render. Its still not quite correct, but at least they render now.

User is offline   Mark 

working on the door for the dock area. I also tweaked the wood floor for better tiling. Made log pile and rope models.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: h2door2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostMark., on 09 March 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

working on the door for the dock area. I also tweaked the wood floor for better tiling. Made log pile and rope models.

Nice great job. Would you be able to upload fbx's of the models you made? I would like to try them in the new model importer before I make it public.

User is offline   Mark 

Here you go. They're not my best work but they are an improvement over the existing ones. 5 models and their textures. I included a tweaked wood floor to replace the one I sent earlier. This tiles better and has a normal map. I also included the wood door but no normal for it. Not being able to see the original models I have no idea if my scale and orientation is anywhere near correct. I'm hoping you can adjust those easily like we do in Eduke32 with def files.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Alright I'll get those in, I have uploaded the lastest code to github.

I added your door texture it looks good.

Posted Image

So if you want to try and test your new textures in game, you can install Heretic 2 1.6, and then sync https://github.com/j...hall23/Heretic2 into that folder. Then you will need to open base/maps/decompiler.exe, and decompile all of the bsp to .map files. Then go to the tools folder and modify compile_ssdocks.bat so the paths align to were you have Heretic 2 installed. Then run compile_ssdocks.bat, when that completes you can run Heretic2.exe or run run_ssdocks.bat

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 11 March 2017 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm an old dog that doesn't like to learn new tricks. :P All those steps required are why I haven't used anything other than Eduke32 and Mapster. I actually surprised myself by finding and installing an editor just so I could find which tile numbers I wanted to replace.

Did you make a request any helpers on the Heretic and Quake forums? They are way more likely than I to do that stuff because they have already been doing it for their mods.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostMark., on 11 March 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

I'm an old dog that doesn't like to learn new tricks. :P All those steps required are why I haven't used anything other than Eduke32 and Mapster. I actually surprised myself by finding and installing an editor just so I could find which tile numbers I wanted to replace.

Did you make a request any helpers on the Heretic and Quake forums? They are way more likely than I to do that stuff because they have already been doing it for their mods.

I'll upload a one click tool that will make it easy in the future ;). Give me a second, then check your private messages.

Check your messages.

User is offline   Mark 

ok

Added realtime lights to items and spells.

User is offline   Mark 

I sent another pm

Added HD Particles

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 12 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Interesting. Looks like there might be some alpha issues with the smoke.

User is online   Lunick 

Why does the animation of the characters look off? I've looked at a few Heretic 2 videos on YouTube and they seem way more fluid than in your videos.

That's on my todo list to fix. Heretic 2 Models only came with 12ish animations. I just have to get my Lerp code right.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 13 March 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostLunick, on 13 March 2017 - 02:52 AM, said:

Why does the animation of the characters look off? I've looked at a few Heretic 2 videos on YouTube and they seem way more fluid than in your videos.

I committed a fix for this, animation playback is now a lot smoother.

We all at https://www.facebook...ups/ravengames/ and
https://www.facebook...ups/heretic2cc/

Great project, wish you all the best

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options